Rowan Vine

alikat

Well-known member
Joined
31 Dec 2000
Messages
10,584
Reaction score
5,853
Location
Botley

Rowan Vine

Just read that he's been signed by Sunderland for £2M:eek: :eek:

Not a great striker while on loan with us, IMHO, altho' he's certainly come on since going to Luton. £2M seems rather OTT, though, doesn't it? However, I'd happily take him back on loan now!
 

Rowan Vine

never worth that, footballs gone crazy, he was rubbish at GP
 

Rowan Vine

i wouldnt say he was rubbish, looked like he had something about him, he was a young striker learning his trade, as they say ,:sorted:
 

Rowan Vine

The thing that really makes me bitter about this move is that I used to play with and against him from the age of 5 to 18 we were in the same league rep team and he could not even get in the team!! like to say good luck to the guy but i just can't he's a ****!!
 

Rowan Vine

is that coz he was 5 and you were 18 lol

Yep rofl

He is actually a year younger than me though and always played in the age group above
 

Rowan Vine

Rowan Vine

To get into double figures in that crap side was amazing plus his hold up play at away games was as good as I've seen in my time. The ball was walloped to him and it stuck unlike normal times where we defend, defend and defend after clearance after clearance.
 

Rowan Vine

To get into double figures in that crap side was amazing plus his hold up play at away games was as good as I've seen in my time. The ball was walloped to him and it stuck unlike normal times where we defend, defend and defend after clearance after clearance.

Fair point. Good luck to him.
 

Rowan Vine

:shocked: 2.5 Million for Rowan Vine....

As already said, he's was a decent young player who was still learning the game during his time at GP. Although I didn't think he had that much potential value in the transfer market!

Fair play to him, he's clearly carried on improving since his time with us. He could now be playing Premiership football next season, joining the other ex bees in the top flight.

Good luck Rowan. :wave:
 

Rowan Vine

Fair point. Good luck to him.

unfortunately we had him on loan at a time when he seriously thought he could break into Pompey's first team, I seem to remember they were down to their bare bones at the time, yet still loaned him out to us, you would have thought that he would have got the message. Obviosuly the next few times he got sent out on loan he started to get the picture, and realised his future lay away from Fratton. Good luck to him.
Plus it should increase the tension at Kenilworth Road which is always nice to hear, Newell can't be a happy bunny losing Vine and Edwards in the window..
 

Rowan Vine

I always thought he had something but I thought he was more of a wide player than a forward. He was fantastic against us for Col U on the wing.
 

Rowan Vine

Newell can't be a happy bunny losing Vine and Edwards in the window..

True, but if the Luton board had turned those offers down it would have been incredibly stupid. Vine has probably been sold for around 60% of Luton's yearly wage bill. Nice business.
 

Rowan Vine

To get into double figures in that crap side was amazing plus his hold up play at away games was as good as I've seen in my time. The ball was walloped to him and it stuck unlike normal times where we defend, defend and defend after clearance after clearance.
I think that he's quite a good player, but £2.5M is a phenomenal deal for Luton, IMO. We only got about 20% of that for each of Tabb, Turner and Sodje, all of whom are playing in the same league as (or higher than) Vine.

I'm not saying that he's not necessarily a better player than any of these 3, but the price seems a little out of kilter, to say the least (although, I suppose strikers can be so much more valuable - provided they score goals).
 

Rowan Vine

I think that he's quite a good player, but £2.5M is a phenomenal deal for Luton, IMO. We only got about 20% of that for each of Tabb, Turner and Sodje, all of whom are playing in the same league as (or higher than) Vine.

I'm not saying that he's not necessarily a better player than any of these 3, but the price seems a little out of kilter, to say the least (although, I suppose strikers can be so much more valuable - provided they score goals).

Brum are desparate and have the cash. The amount they paid for DJ this time last year was lunacy as well considering the short time he's been a pro.
 

Rowan Vine

I think that he's quite a good player, but £2.5M is a phenomenal deal for Luton, IMO. We only got about 20% of that for each of Tabb, Turner and Sodje, all of whom are playing in the same league as (or higher than) Vine.

I'm not saying that he's not necessarily a better player than any of these 3, but the price seems a little out of kilter, to say the least (although, I suppose strikers can be so much more valuable - provided they score goals).

the nice thing for Luton is once the Sullivans's and Gold came out to say they will personally finance the deal to make sure they got him, Luton knew they would get top whack. Just goes to show the different mentalities of being at the bottom of the Prem, and top of the Championship, how much do you think we would have got for DJ, if Brum were top of the Champ and looking to go into the Prem...? (that is a serious question by the way !)
 

Rowan Vine

To get into double figures in that crap side was amazing plus his hold up play at away games was as good as I've seen in my time. The ball was walloped to him and it stuck unlike normal times where we defend, defend and defend after clearance after clearance.

not as good as Deon though- now there was a player :sorted:
 

Rowan Vine

gone to Hull on a 1 month contract
 
Back
Top Bottom