Ryder Cup 2006

Ryder Cup 2006

Touching scenes with Clarky. The guy has been an inspiration this w/e. Well done fella.
 

Ryder Cup 2006

A complete miss-match in the end. Europe just had too much class and it wasn't in any way close.

Just a pity some numpty had to run across the 18th green and prevent McGinley winning to record an even bigger thrashing.
 

Ryder Cup 2006

A complete miss-match in the end. Europe just had too much class and it wasn't in any way close.

I'm inclined to agree except I would put it that Europe had too much depth for the US squad. The class of golf certainly includes the top Americans, Tiger Woods, Jim Furyk, Phil Mickelson etc. Only a handful of Europeans have managed victories in any of the Grand Slam tournaments since World War II and only Monty has even made a playoff in the PGA. The weight of very good players clearly lies with Europe during the past few years and I expect that to continue. Apart from Olazabal, I can't recall any of the current European team having won a Grand Slam but I wouldn't bet against them winning this tournament again any time soon.

It is interesting to specuate that if there were a return to the old Ryder Cup format of the US against Great Britain we would probably get a similar result today.
 

Ryder Cup 2006

A complete miss-match in the end. Europe just had too much class and it wasn't in any way close.

Just a pity some numpty had to run across the 18th green and prevent McGinley winning to record an even bigger thrashing.

Was that why he conceded a long putt (30ft or more)? I thought he just wanted a sporting end to a tight game which was by then irrelevant to the outcome of the match. Wouldn't have been happy if I'd had a bet dependent on him winning as it was odds against the US player holing the putt
 

Ryder Cup 2006

It is interesting to specuate that if there were a return to the old Ryder Cup format of the US against Great Britain we would probably get a similar result today.

One thing that I have seen in the press is to change the format to make it Europe v RoW. Ernies Els, Vijay Singh in the RoW squad would balance it up. :) :)
 

Ryder Cup 2006

Was that why he conceded a long putt (30ft or more)? I thought he just wanted a sporting end to a tight game which was by then irrelevant to the outcome of the match. Wouldn't have been happy if I'd had a bet dependent on him winning as it was odds against the US player holing the putt


:yes:

They ignored it on the BBC TV highlights but as Henry was lining up his putt, 25 feet with little chance IMHO, some bloke streaked across the green and jumped in the river.
McGinely conceded the putt when he would almost certainly have won the match if the putt had been attempted.
 

Ryder Cup 2006

There is a guy who has 30k a point spread bet on Europe.. he may be taking out a contract as we speak.....
 

Ryder Cup 2006

I'm inclined to agree except I would put it that Europe had too much depth for the US squad. The class of golf certainly includes the top Americans, Tiger Woods, Jim Furyk, Phil Mickelson etc. Only a handful of Europeans have managed victories in any of the Grand Slam tournaments since World War II and only Monty has even made a playoff in the PGA. The weight of very good players clearly lies with Europe during the past few years and I expect that to continue. Apart from Olazabal, I can't recall any of the current European team having won a Grand Slam but I wouldn't bet against them winning this tournament again any time soon.

A fair assessment.

The top Americans don't seem to get on with the format and although you would back Woods and Mickelson especially in a Major they don't produce in the Ryder Cup.

Of the European players only Olazabal had won a Major while Woods and Mickelson have won more than a dozen between them but below the top level there are more better Europeans.

I suspect the Americans need to consider their selection policy and whether a couple of their stars should actually bother playing.
 

Ryder Cup 2006

That wasn't the way they described it on the radio :shrug: but you may well be right.

:yes:

I don't think McGinleys concession had anything to do with the streaker, he was going to give Henry the putt anyway.
 

Ryder Cup 2006

A complete miss-match in the end. Europe just had too much class and it wasn't in any way close.
QUOTE]

I would tend to agree with this, the problem is that the US has the top 3 players in the world but after that there is not much

The US Team was

Rank Player Country
1 *Tiger Woods *USA*
2 *Phil Mickelson *USA*
3 *Jim Furyk *USA*
15 *David Toms *USA*
16 *Chris DiMarco *USA*
22 *Chad Campbell *USA*
23 *Stewart Cink *USA*
34 *Scott Verplank *USA*
42 *Zach Johnson *USA*
59 *Vaughn Taylor *USA*
60 *J.J. Henry *USA*
67 *Brett Wetterich *USA*


Europe team was

Rank Player Country
8 *Luke Donald *Eng*
9 *Sergio Garcia *Spn*
11 *Henrik Stenson *Swe*
13 *David Howell *Eng*
14 *Colin Montgomerie *Sco*
17 *Paul Casey *Eng*
18 *Jose M Olazabal *Spn*
19 *Padraig Harrington *Ire*
24 *Darren Clarke *NIr*
35 *Robert Karlsson *Swe*
50 *Lee Westwood *Eng*
53 *Paul McGinley *Ire*

Europe has 8 compared with 5 in the top 20 and only one outsde of top 50 whereas the US has 3

So its my belief it is a more balanced side.

With regards to McGinley he asked the official to concede the but because he appreciated it had been a good game and a half was fair, he is perfectly entitled to do so there is no restriction on length of putt that you concede

Anyone with a bet on points will not get it as win cos that is the official score irregardless of how it happened

Casey and Verplanks holes in one were quality, although casey only got a half, I liked Harringtons effort to half the whole

I believe that the strength of the US team has a lot to do with Tiger. Most US players I think believe they cant beat him so they settle for second best which does not develop their game
 

Ryder Cup 2006

IMHO the difference said it all on Europe's shirts "European Team"
USA were just twelve individuals put together for the week.
Tiger did not even know Brett Wetterich 2 weeks ago and blanked him when they first met.
European golf will be much stronger after this weekend and with the young talent that is coming through Europes domination of this tournament will continue.
Not only is it three in a row but its also 5 out of the last 6
What odds Monty to captain in 2010 at Celtic Manor?
 

Ryder Cup 2006

The closest is a Tiger Slam I believe, where some one or other held all four at the same time but didn't win them all in the same calendar year. :) (I think)
 

Ryder Cup 2006

OH, the H has already said that :sneakoff:
 

Ryder Cup 2006

No

No-one has.

Not sure why California Bee thinks that's nitpicking - but there you go :(
OK....it should be a "Grand Slam" tournament I.E. one of the four tournaments that comprise the Grand Slam in golf each year. They are The Masters, The Open (British that is), the US Open and the PGA Championship.

Nobody has won all four in one year but a few, most recently Tiger Woods, have held all four spanning to years.
 

Ryder Cup 2006

Nobody has won all four in one year but a few, most recently Tiger Woods, have held all four spanning to years.

You sure? :suspect: Who were the others.... not taking the piss, just curious :computer:
 

Ryder Cup 2006

I think Jack Nicklaus did it not sure tho

The problem with it is Golf does not strictly run in seasons. They usually use the calendar year. Tiger won the first three and held the PGA from the previous year, I think
 

Ryder Cup 2006

You sure? :suspect: Who were the others.... not taking the piss, just curious :computer:
I'm only sure if you consider that "one" is "a few". My comment was inaccurate and Tiger Woods is the only golfer as others have pointed out.:blush
 

Ryder Cup 2006

Cool thought so... :computer:
 

Ryder Cup 2006

More money than sense!

Apparently a punter put £247,000 on the US to win the Ryder Cup the day before play began, then followed this up with another £100K on them after the Friday morning pairings were announced. :eek:

Hills would have paid out £753,000 if the US had won. Crazy bet if you ask me!

Above taken from a new free weekly magazine called Sport which is handed out by tube stations every Friday. First issue looks quite good.

www.myfreesport.co.uk
 
Back
Top Bottom