Slow Handclap

TOMOGP

Active member
Joined
6 Apr 2000
Messages
2,573
Reaction score
111
Location
In a very dark place

Slow Handclap

When did the slow handclap finish at football, growing up in the 50s etc as soon as the team /player played poorly the slow handclap started and when you have got 8/10 thousand people doing wow impressive.
Haven't heard it years
 

Slow Handclap

We're they standing up?

Used to hear it a fair bit in the 70s and 80s at GP but you're right it seems to have moved into history in the last 25 years . Dissatisfied fans aren't so polite these days they start chanting 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' or something equally callous instead.
 

Slow Handclap

Always used to start in the New Road by older supporters. When a large number of younger supporters switched from the Oak to the halfway line of NR in the late 70s they used to drown out any slow handclapping by chanting "loyal support-ers" until it stopped. Eventually it stopped altogether. Quite a lot of it in mid-70s.
 

Slow Handclap

normally done when the ref was p /poor
 

Slow Handclap

I remember it , but not with fondness.
The Bees sides of the late 1950's were very strong, and rarely had a poor game. When they did, the depressing, insulting, slow handclap only made things worse for the players and fellow supporters , in my opinion.
It is definitely one aspect of 'the old days' that I am glad to see the back of...
 

Slow Handclap

Agree with what Geoffbee says, as it could at times, prove to be counter productive. One time I do remember in some clarity though was in the early 1960's, was the slow handclapping
directed towards the then, I believe 1st division team, Burnley in a League Cup replay, when they sent along their reserve team to play us. I well remember the announcement over the
tannoy of every single name on the programme being changed, which certainly didn't please a decent sized mid week evening match crowd.
 

Slow Handclap

I have only ever associated the slow handclap with an opposition player getting treatment on the field. Now that is uncommon it doesn't seem to ever happen. Which, in my opinion makes football worse off.
 

Slow Handclap

I remember it , but not with fondness.
The Bees sides of the late 1950's were very strong, and rarely had a poor game. When they did, the depressing, insulting, slow handclap only made things worse for the players and fellow supporters , in my opinion.
It is definitely one aspect of 'the old days' that I am glad to see the back of...

I agree Geoff, did not explain the "wow" did not mean it in the good sense but the effect of depression for want of a better description
 

Slow Handclap

When did the slow handclap finish at football, growing up in the 50s etc as soon as the team /player played poorly the slow handclap started and when you have got 8/10 thousand people doing wow impressive.
Haven't heard it years

I understand, in 1992, bSKYb banned it as it was not dynamic enough
 

Slow Handclap

Probably even worse (but more imaginative!) than the slow handclap was something that happened before my BFC days, but recounted by legendary centre-forward Tommy Lawton in his autobiography. Tommy was BFC player/manager for a spell in the early 1950's . In an attempt to lift the team back to former glories, Tommy signed two experienced stars, Frank Broome and Ian Mc Pherson from his former club Notts County . Unfortunately, it did not work out, and , during one disappointing match the 20,000 Griffin Park crowd started singing the music hall song 'Dear Old Pals, Jolly Old Pals'!!
Not only did we lose the match, but Tommy decided that he had enough of management, and he left soon after...
 

Slow Handclap

Not directly relevant but it reminds me of a Tuesday night game in the 70's I think when an abysmal ref gave Sheff Utd all 2 points and the whole of GP sang "oh my what a referee"
 

Slow Handclap

What did everyone think of the communal clapping from the New Road towards the end of the match yesterday? I thought it was a bit Last night at the Proms and expected everyone to start bobbing up and down.
 

Slow Handclap

Not directly relevant but it reminds me of a Tuesday night game in the 70's I think when an abysmal ref gave Sheff Utd all 2 points and the whole of GP sang "oh my what a referee"

Alf sodding Grey
 

Slow Handclap

I remember it being used quite often by the Griffin Park faithful in the 1950s.

I heard a new slant on it when I saw a game at the Camp Nou earlier this year. Barca were awarded a free kick just outside the opponents box. As Messi shaped to take it the crowd broke into a slow handclap. I thought it was great, as it seemed kind of sinister as if they were waiting for the inevitable, it must have been off putting for the opponents as Messi's kick crashed into the top corner.
 

Slow Handclap

Do you think this would work as Toumani is lining one up from outside the box? Or Dougie?
 

Slow Handclap

We're they standing up?

Used to hear it a fair bit in the 70s and 80s at GP but you're right it seems to have moved into history in the last 25 years . .

We used to hear monkey chants as well in the 70's so am glad things do change.

I used to love the slow hand clap now I think about it....
 
Back
Top Bottom