Super Bowl

Super Bowl

must have been a Blood seeing as his pals were in the Crips.
 

Super Bowl

25 seconds left on the game clock, ball at the Philadelphia 7 yard line, 1st down and 2 timeouts left...a field goal behind.

How bad was that offensive decision to throw the ball into the end zone for an interception? :eek: What with a tiring defence, surely you would have run the ball a couple of times using the available timeouts to stop the clock?! That was such a bad, bad play! :nono:


rofl :confused:


:sorted:
 

Super Bowl

OK the playoffs start next weekend, but before thinking about the games spare a thought for the family & friends of Denver cornerback Darrent Williams who was shot and killed in a drive by shooting early on new years day - http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/9901619 :( RIP Darrent


Thoughts go out to the Williams family, overshadowing a superb 49ers win to prevent the Bronco's from making the play-offs.

As regards to the play-offs these are my wild card tips

Cowboys@Seahawks - I think home advantage will be decisive here, Dallas secondary has been shredded in recent weeks, so Matty Hasselbeck should have a productive day.

Chiefs@Colts - I think KC with Larry Johnson in fine form will stomp all over the Colts who cannot stop the run.

Giants@Eagles - Can't see past Philly, they are in hot form, whilst the Giants have all those internal wrangling problems.

Jets@Patriots - I'm going for an upset Jets win, they know NE very well and have beaten them already in the regular season.
 

Super Bowl

2 yes,2 no

Jam Jar said:
Thoughts go out to the Williams family, overshadowing a superb 49ers win to prevent the Bronco's from making the play-offs.

Indeed.RIP. :( I watched the 4th quarter and most of the OT(until the SKY feed failed just before the Field Goal :rolleyes: ) and the 49ers played well.Good job I didn't put any money on my pre-season tip.

:sneakoff:

Jam Jar said:
As regards to the play-offs these are my wild card tips

Cowboys@Seahawks - I think home advantage will be decisive here, Dallas secondary has been shredded in recent weeks, so Matty Hasselbeck should have a productive day.

Chiefs@Colts - I think KC with Larry Johnson in fine form will stomp all over the Colts who cannot stop the run.

Giants@Eagles - Can't see past Philly, they are in hot form, whilst the Giants have all those internal wrangling problems.

Jets@Patriots - I'm going for an upset Jets win, they know NE very well and have beaten them already in the regular season.

Yeah I think that the Seahawks and the Giants should win.I hope you're wrong regarding the Patriots and I think that the Colts will prevail over the Chiefs.After all it'll be funny to see Peyton choke in the AFC Championship game again. :D
 

Super Bowl

Cowboys@Seahawks - I think home advantage will be decisive here, Dallas secondary has been shredded in recent weeks, so Matty Hasselbeck should have a productive day.

The Cowboys road form has been quite impressive this season and they have chalk up some big scores .. so dont be suprised should they win :sorted:
 

Super Bowl

The Cowboys road form has been quite impressive this season and they have chalk up some big scores .. so dont be suprised should they win :sorted:

Cowboys have been ahead of a weak bunch in a very poor division but have lost form of late. They ran up some points against very weak teams (Tampa, Houston). Romo has shown some good flashes, but not recently, and Owens is always a threat but I don't expect them to progress far.
 

Super Bowl

The Seahawks have big problems at cornerback - they were already down one starter before last week and have now lost the second starter and first backup as well. Unless they can get a lot of pressure on Romo I think Dallas will like the matchup of Glenn & Owen vs Seattle's 4th & 5th choice corners.

Philadelphia should beat the Giants who have been poor in the second half of the season, although you can never tell when divisional rivals go against each other.

Kansas v Indy should be an interesting game, although looking at this suggests that Kansas may well have overused Larry Johnson this year - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9900749 If the Colts get a lead they'll be hard to peg back, if they don't they'll be seeing smashmouth offence all afternoon.

The Jets v Patriots game could be the most interesting one of the weekend. The two matches so far this season has shown the teams to be pretty evenly matched and there is definitely no love lost between the two coaches.

If I had to pick teams I'd suggest the Cowboys, Eagles, Colts & Jets will prevail this weekend.
 

Super Bowl

If I had to pick teams I'd suggest the Cowboys, Eagles, Colts & Jets will prevail this weekend.


Eagles - Yes
Cowboys - not in Seattle
Colts - could go either way. Colts' wheels have looked like falling off lately
Jets - Not now. Pats have moved into high gear
 

Super Bowl

Here's hoping for a bad day for the New York teams tomorrow

Yeah I think..... the Giants should win.

The Giants should win????? :eek: What the hell was I on? :eek: :eek: At least I got the Colts prediction right. :sorted: KC were awful and the play calling of Edwards did them no favours whatsoever.The Ravens will beat the Colts next week unless they improve drastically.

I still stand by the Seahawks prediction (3-3 currently at the end of the 1st quarter) and I think the Pats will (and hope) beat the Jets.Despite my madness I'll stick with the Giants beating the Eagles even if I don't think it'll happen in a million years.Who knows if they do maybe Tom Coughlin might actually smile...then again there's more chance of me being the next head coach of Oakland than that happening. :D
 

Super Bowl

I'm sure the Big Tuna wasn't best pleased

Well thanks to Tony Romo I'm 2 for 2 in the old predictions malarky. :D He'll have nightmares about that botched FG snap for the rest of his career.I wonder if Parcells has finished shouting at him yet. :D
 

Super Bowl

3 for 3 with the Giants to come

3 for 3 now. :sorted: The Pats kept the Jets at arms length and that 4th quarter drive really took the air out of their balloon.Mangini and Belichick seemed a little more friendly towards each other at the end although I thought Belichick was gonna have a Brian Clough type moment with the photographers at the end. :D

All I need is the Giants to win and my perfect prediction weekend will be complete.Why didn't I have any money on it! :banghead: Mind you it is the Giants we are on about here. :D

Simon W>My sympathies are with you regarding Romo.Hopefully he'll have the strength of character to get over it.

As I type Giants go 7-0 up. :eek:
 

Super Bowl

Eagles - Yes
Cowboys - not in Seattle
Colts - could go either way. Colts' wheels have looked like falling off lately
Jets - Not now. Pats have moved into high gear

So far so good!

AFC

Patriots at Chargers - Hardest to call. Patriots may be playing better than any team right now

Colts at Ravens - Gotta take the Ravens


NFC

Seahawks at Bears - Bears should do it but it will be close

Eagles at Saints - Saints should cruise this one
 

Super Bowl

Oh well..3 out of 4 aint bad

Yes the Giants-Eagles clash was what playoff games should be all about and I'm happy to say that I'm now 4 for........oh you mean the Giants didn't quite make it?

:sneakoff:

I think the Eagles just about deserved their victory but the Giants performed a lot better than I expected them to.
 

Super Bowl

Thought the Chiefs offensive effort was the poorest I've seen for some time, no first down until late in the third quarter. Disgraceful stuff.

Only got 2 predictions right and if anything the forthcoming weekend divisional play-off games are tricky to call.

AFC

Patriots@Chargers - Schottenhiemer doesn't really have a very good record in play-offs, I reckon the Pats will edge this one.

Colts@Ravens - Ravens for me, they should go on and win the superbowl.


NFC

Seahawks@Bears - Tough one to call, Bears don't impress me with their offense, Grossman is a liability. I'm going for the Seachickens.

Eagles@Saints - Again the Saints don't have much of a play-off pedigree, I think the Eagles will wear them down.

Eagles - Ravens superbowl for me.
 

Super Bowl

So far so good!

AFC

Patriots at Chargers - Hardest to call. Patriots may be playing better than any team right now

Colts at Ravens - Gotta take the Ravens


NFC

Seahawks at Bears - Bears should do it but it will be close

Eagles at Saints - Saints should cruise this one

Congratulations on the wild card weekend predictions. :sorted:

Got to agree with your summary of the divisional games - I'm going with the Ravens, Bears and Saints (home field to count for the later two).

The Pats - and Tom Brady - know more about winning playoff football than anyone else, but can they stop Tomlinson? Marty's got a poor playoff record but at present I'm going for the Chargers to sneak it (I reserve the right to alter this prediction during the week! :D )

:wave:
 

Super Bowl

Top marks to the Colts, never thought they had it in them to win a tough game on the road. Thought their D was outstanding, and Vinatieri was inspired in kicking those field goals. With Manning frailties in the play-offs I am not sure they can go all the way but I like the coach Dungy and it would be nice to see him in the SB. What odds on Vinatieri kicking the winning field goal that knocks out the Pats in the AFC Championship game ?
 

Super Bowl

What odds on Vinatieri kicking the winning field goal that knocks out the Pats in the AFC Championship game ?

It's bound to happen.Odds on I'd say. :cry: The Colts defence has played well for 2 straight games. :eek: The Saints played well last night also.
 

Super Bowl

Three out of four this week. The Patriots know how to win although the Chargers should beaten them in today's contest. The Chargers kept shooting themselves in the foot at the wrong moments today.
I will take the Patriots over the Colts any day. The Baltimore offence is nothing to write home about but the Colts never looked like getting a touchdown.

Long field goals are the bane of the NFL and IMHO should never be worth half of a touchdown. One point (two at the outside) would be a fairer reward but that would not change the outcome of most games.

I'll take both vsiting teams in next week's matches for a Patriots v Saints Super Bowl.
 

Super Bowl

Three out of four this week. The Patriots know how to win although the Chargers should beaten them in today's contest. The Chargers kept shooting themselves in the foot at the wrong moments today.
I will take the Patriots over the Colts any day. The Baltimore offence is nothing to write home about but the Colts never looked like getting a touchdown.

Long field goals are the bane of the NFL and IMHO should never be worth half of a touchdown. One point (two at the outside) would be a fairer reward but that would not change the outcome of most games.

I'll take both vsiting teams in next week's matches for a Patriots v Saints Super Bowl.


Yet another Schottenheimer choke. I'd be suprised if he was San Diego's coach next season. Some monumental mistakes by the Chargers. There is no way on earth they should have lost that game. But you should never bet against the Pats.

Would love the Colts to beat them, but I can't see past New England and yet another Superbowl win. (Hopefully I've put the curse on them as my predictions have been dreadful.)
 

Super Bowl

:bound:

I'll comment more on last night's games later on today once I've caught up on some sleep at work. ;)

I love being a Patriots fan. :)
 

Super Bowl

Gostkowski will do for me

I actually felt sorry for Marty last night. :( He got let down big time by his players who gave us all the help we needed to win the game.Tom Brady didn't have his best game but he got the job done when it mattered,just like the rest of the Patriots.

So it's onto the AFC Championship game and a chance to renew hostilities with Peyton Manning and the Colts. Both QB's will have to improve but I'm confident they will and it has all the makings of a classic.

As for the NFC well the Bears won...just about. Grossman still doesn't fill me with confidence and I'm sure the Saints defence are licking their lips at the prospect of meeting and greeting him. :D

Looking forward to Sunday already. :)

P.S. California Bee - Long field goals win games.....and they certainly do for us. :wave:
 

Super Bowl

Unfortunately they do Scratchy but for me somehow that is the antithesis of the whole point of the game. A team's offence can fail to get in range of scoring a touchdown yet can win a game on the strength of one guy's boot. :wave: :)
 

Super Bowl

After Hurricane Katrina my heart hopes the Saints will go marching in. The Bears have a very good defence but New Orleans is looking good and Reggie Bush could be the key to Chicago's downfall.
 

Super Bowl

It would be ironic if this turns out to be the Colts year, as the media expectation level has been lower this year than in previous.

Will The Pats muller Peyton again or can he finally get over the hurdle ?

Colts over Saints in the big one !
 

Super Bowl

The NFL comes to London

So now it's official and the NFL have announced that London has been chosen to host a regular season game in 2007. The venue will be Wembley Stadium and it'll probably happen in September.

Fantastic news! :bound:
 

Super Bowl

No need for toll bridges sir.

or Cardiff :fishing:

might pop along to a Miami home game if its up the road

Definitely London. :D I'm just listening to the head of NFL UK on the radio now who is saying that it'll either be Wembley or Twickenham.Decision to be announced in just over 2 weeks time.

As for teams involved nothing has been officially announced but the rumour is that it'll be the Dolphins vs the Giants.
 

Super Bowl

Super Bowl

Tour del Francia en Cadena Ser y nBo sports.

:grey:

Bring back Kevin "it's gonna beeee a tiiiiiiight bawwgame" Cadle.

More interesting than the NFL in London is the Tour De France coming to the city for the prologue! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/6262603.stm

I fully expect Sir Scratchy to be there cheering on Nicholas Roche and other lycra clad males.

Ah now leave Kevin "baawwwl game" Cadle alone senor Heston.After all he was doing a 12 hour shift on Sky Sports last night hosting their NBA coverage. :eek: :D

I can't wait for le tour to hit town. :bound: As for Roche well at least he's declared to ride for Ireland once more which is good news. :) I look forward to seeing him and the rest of the peleton on July 7th and 8th.

Two things that Ken Livingstone has done for sports fans in this city? :eek:
 

Super Bowl

The Patriots have had a good team over the years but they have also been incredibly lucky.

1. They should never have been in the first Super Bowl against the Rams. The AFC Championship game was over and Oakland had won it before the incredible reversal of Brady's fumble gave the ball back to the Patriots who were able to tie the game on a Vinatieri kick and win it on another when New England shovelled the snow away to allow him to kick off the grass.

2. The Rams were about 5 inches from the end zone with the winning score on the final play of that final

3. The Patriots have never won a Super Bowl by more than three points so a missed field goal made all the difference in all three games

4. In Saturday's match Brady threw three interceptions and the Chargers dropped three more. The Chargers' punt-returner fumbled and lost a punt that he should and could have lain on. The Chargers also fumbled the key interception and one that should have clinched the match with their eight point lead and little time left. Then at the end a missed field goal was all the difference.
 

Super Bowl

Legends

You could say that it is better to be a lucky team than a good one.All legendary teams have their moments of luck California Bee.For example Pittsburgh had their "immaculate reception" and we had the tuck rule. :D

For the record the Patriots are not just a lucky team. In fact dare I say it the Patriots deserve to be classed as one of the greatest teams in history. You don't win 3 championships in the last 6 seasons (with a chance of winning a 4th) by merely being a good team who is hugely lucky.All of this in an era where free agency rules supreme.I just think it's a shame that we don't seem to get the credit that we fully deserve but that's life I guess. :shrug:

If Brentford were like the Patriots we wouldn't be in the mess we currently find ourselves in.
 

Super Bowl

For the record the Patriots are not just a lucky team. In fact dare I say it the Patriots deserve to be classed as one of the greatest teams in history.


I agree that they are not just a lucky team. I think the Patriots are an excellent team and their coach is one of the best the game has seen. However, it's a fact that they were more than lucky to be in their first winning Super Bowl and they came within 5 inches of defeat in that game. They won their three Championships by only three points each, relying on their kicker in each case so they cannot claim to have been a dominating champion despite their very successful run of Super Bowl wins.

They have Tom Brady but few other all time "greats" in their squad. Give them credit for a terrific record but on the field no stretch of the imagination could put them on a par with the Steelers teams of the Seventies, the Forty-niners teams of the Eighties, the Dallas Cowboys teams of the Nineties or even the Green Bay Packers teams of the Sixties. The average winning margin in those teams' finals was 17 points compared with the Patriots mere 3 point average margin.

Further, the calibre of the top eight teams prior to the introduction of the NFL salary cap in 1994 was much higher than those of today's teams almost all of which are stripped of some of their best players in the free agent draft each year. So it could be argued convincingly that those top pre-1995 squads were considerably stronger than the play-off contenders of the past ten years. A team today could not afford to retain a group like Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig, John Taylor, Harris Barton, Tom Rathman, Steve Young etc. Lined up against them were a group like Lawrence Taylor, Phil Simms, Morris , Bavaro, McConkey etc for the Giants or Emmitt Smith, Troy Aitken, Charles Haley and Michael Irvin for the Cowboys. Any of those teams playing against today's squads would be men against boys in most cases and certainly the Chargers (this year's best record) couldn't hold a candle.

I like the Patriots. They are always fun to watch. They have great spirit and a terrific coach. They get the maximum out of what they have but they have also enjoyed more than their fair share of luck over the past few years, last Sunday's game included. The bounce of the ball after a fumble or kick, the spot of the ball or an official's error can all become a decisive factor in a close three-point game. In regular league play those things more or less balance themselves out but in post-season knock-out games it's that game only.
 

Super Bowl

I agree that they are not just a lucky team. I think the Patriots are an excellent team and their coach is one of the best the game has seen. However, it's a fact that they were more than lucky to be in their first winning Super Bowl and they came within 5 inches of defeat in that game. They won their three Championships by only three points each, relying on their kicker in each case so they cannot claim to have been a dominating champion despite their very successful run of Super Bowl wins.

They have Tom Brady but few other all time "greats" in their squad. Give them credit for a terrific record but on the field no stretch of the imagination could put them on a par with the Steelers teams of the Seventies, the Forty-niners teams of the Eighties, the Dallas Cowboys teams of the Nineties or even the Green Bay Packers teams of the Sixties. The average winning margin in those teams' finals was 17 points compared with the Patriots mere 3 point average margin.

Further, the calibre of the top eight teams prior to the introduction of the NFL salary cap in 1994 was much higher than those of today's teams almost all of which are stripped of some of their best players in the free agent draft each year. So it could be argued convincingly that those top pre-1995 squads were considerably stronger than the play-off contenders of the past ten years. A team today could not afford to retain a group like Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig, John Taylor, Harris Barton, Tom Rathman, Steve Young etc. Lined up against them were a group like Lawrence Taylor, Phil Simms, Morris , Bavaro, McConkey etc for the Giants or Emmitt Smith, Troy Aitken, Charles Haley and Michael Irvin for the Cowboys. Any of those teams playing against today's squads would be men against boys in most cases and certainly the Chargers (this year's best record) couldn't hold a candle.

I like the Patriots. They are always fun to watch. They have great spirit and a terrific coach. They get the maximum out of what they have but they have also enjoyed more than their fair share of luck over the past few years, last Sunday's game included. The bounce of the ball after a fumble or kick, the spot of the ball or an official's error can all become a decisive factor in a close three-point game. In regular league play those things more or less balance themselves out but in post-season knock-out games it's that game only.


I'd love it if the Colts finally end their play-off hoodoo and make the Superbowl.

I'd love it even more if Twickenham were to host the NFL game, only 15 mins away, will definitely try to get myself some tickets.
 

Super Bowl

I'd love it even more if Twickenham were to host the NFL game, only 15 mins away, will definitely try and get myself some tickets.

Yes .. even more so if it features Dallas .. as some papers are speculating today :sorted:

Surely the Groundsman at Wembley would not want his new pitch spoilt by all that coloured painted Endzones and logos all over ? ;)
 

Super Bowl

Currently 6-0 to the Bears in the NFC Championship game. Despite Rex's best efforts I think they'll win. Unfortunately I also think that the Colts will beat the Patriots later on. :(
 

Super Bowl

Colts TD :sorted:

V. jealous you'll get to see the Giants at Wembley. Probably stand a better chance of getting tix there than the Meadowlands lol
 

Super Bowl

Wished I'd stayed up to watch the Colts beat the Patriots in what people are saying is the best Championship game ever.

Colts for the Superbowl !
 

Super Bowl

After that last drive in the first half, had to check Betfair cos I thought it might be worth a little dabble on the Colts. I thought the 9-2 on offer was a bit skinny (2 touchdowns behind to the best team over the last 6 or so years) so decided to pass. Stayed up to see Colts pull it back to 21-21 and then fell asleep :rolleyes:

The H... not sure how easy it'll be to get tickets for the London game late this year but put feelers out last night and sources reckon they can will be able to get tickets from either Wembley or Twickers - fancy it if I can get some ?
 

Super Bowl

I really wish I had got my predictions wrong

:cry: :cry:

Great game and the Colts just about deserved it. At least Adam didn't win it for them via a last second field goal. :D

They'll beat the Bears,who did pretty well against the Saints in the other game,in the Superbowl but I'll go on about that nearer the time.
 

Super Bowl

I'm going for the Bears! The New England defence played a great game considering the length of time they were on the field and the fact that the team had been hit with a flu bug leading up to the game. The Bears' defence will limit Manning's offence and will probably rack up turnover points....also a chance for Grossman to put his evils to bed. Go Bears! :sorted:
 
Back
Top Bottom