Team for Preston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isleworth_Bee

Well-known member
Joined
18 Jan 2005
Messages
36,665
Reaction score
26,085
Location
Basingstoke

Team for Preston

One change for me. Kaikai in for Clarke.

Other then that no other changes please.
 

Team for Preston

One change for me. Kaikai in for Clarke.

Other then that no other changes please.

Might be tempted to try MacEachran instead of Yennaris but yeah agree, same team please. The nice thing about the 4-1-4-1 formation is that it can easily morph into a 4-1-3-2 formation if we require an extra body upfront. For example you could see a scenario whereby we bring Lasse on to partner Hogan and bring off one of the attacking midfielders.
 

Team for Preston

Was there any more injuries last night?
I hope not, it would be great if we could keep fielding a steady team.
 

Team for Preston

Might be tempted to try MacEachran instead of Yennaris but yeah agree, same team please. The nice thing about the 4-1-4-1 formation is that it can easily morph into a 4-1-3-2 formation if we require an extra body upfront. For example you could see a scenario whereby we bring Lasse on to partner Hogan and bring off one of the attacking midfielders.

Sawyers was pressing very well iin the 2nd half and looked to playing in the no 10 role at times.
 

Team for Preston

Same as yesterday, except Kaikai for Clarke.
 

Team for Preston

Yep, KaiKai for Clarke and I wonder if Barbet would be a better temp left-back than Bjelland, though it would be shame to lose the great Dane from the team.
 

Team for Preston

Yep, KaiKai for Clarke and I wonder if Barbet would be a better temp left-back than Bjelland, though it would be shame to lose the great Dane from the team.

Barbet would bring more pace to LB but he does like to dive in a bit too much for my liking to play there.
 

Team for Preston

Kaikai to start in place of Clarke who goes to the bench. Leave the rest alone
 

Team for Preston

Looked better with vibe and kaikai on last night start with the 11 who finished last night, ( and that's 3 at the back)
 

Team for Preston

I would like to give Josh a run-out after his cameo on Wednesday. Lewis looked tired so he could make way. It is worth a try IMO because if Josh can gets his game (ie his passing) going he is the best person we have to pick out Hogan's runs. So,

Bentley
Colin Harlee Egan Bjelland
McEachran Woods Yennaris
Sawyers KaiKai (playing mainly right side and left side respectively)
Hogan
 

Team for Preston

I'm not sure 3 holding midfielders across the middle sends the right message for a home game.
 

Team for Preston

I'm not sure 3 holding midfielders across the middle sends the right message for a home game.

McEachran might formally be a holding midfielder, but his forward passing has huge attacking potential when you have a striker like Hogan in the side.
 

Team for Preston

I'd like to see a more attacking emphasis for this one as I think Preston will look to sit deep and wait for us to take the initiative, especially as compared to the last couple of games. Kaikai definitely needs to start but I'd consider getting Vibe back in as well to provide a bit more support to Hogan. Clarke and either McLeod or Sawyers to drop to the bench. And Yennaris to play a bit further up the pitch.
 

Team for Preston

Like this from a Preston forum in their version of this thread.

"Wouldn't be against bringing in Welsh or Pearson for Doyle to make things difficult for Brentford in midfield, they always pass us off the park.

I've kind of written this game off, hate playing this lot."
 

Team for Preston

McEachran might formally be a holding midfielder, but his forward passing has huge attacking potential when you have a striker like Hogan in the side.
I think the challenge is that we need to get numbers in the box. While McEachran and Yennaris are 'box-to-box', they are not naturally attackers, as you say, they are ball-winners and passers. Just having Sawyers (who also seems reluctant to get into the box at times) and Kaikai (who seems eager) to support Hogan, seems to me to reduce our attacking overload options.
 

Team for Preston

Bentley

Colin Dean Egan Bjelland

Woods

MacLeod McEachran Sawyers Kaikai

Hogan

Subs: Bonham, Vibe, Yennaris, Barbet, Clarke, Kersch
 

Team for Preston

I cannot see Woods and McEachran working as a midfield pairing. I still believe you need a player like Nico or Macca to play alongside Woods.

I'd make one tweak, KaiKai for Clarke and move Macleod to the right side of midfield.

Bentley

Colin Dean Egan Bjelland

Macleod Woods Nico KaiKai

Sawyers

Hogan

Subs, any other 7.
 

Team for Preston

I cannot see Woods and McEachran working as a midfield pairing. I still believe you need a player like Nico or Macca to play alongside Woods.

I'd make one tweak, KaiKai for Clarke and move Macleod to the right side of midfield.

Bentley

Colin Dean Egan Bjelland

Macleod Woods Nico KaiKai

Sawyers

Hogan

Subs, any other 7.

Woods has been playing as the 1 in the 4-1-4-1 so McEachran and Woods are not a pairing like they were in a 4-2-3-1.
 

Team for Preston

Woods has been playing as the 1 in the 4-1-4-1 so McEachran and Woods are not a pairing like they were in a 4-2-3-1.

I don't see it as a 4-1-4-1. We change formations a lot during matches. Woods will be the deeper lying midfielder, but Nico does a lot of the donkey work. I don't see McEachran doing that work, IMO. JM isn't an in your face tackler, he's more a nip in and nick the ball type, but I still don't see that working. If Woods is suspended, then I see JM doing what Woods does.
 

Team for Preston

McEachran might formally be a holding midfielder, but his forward passing has huge attacking potential when you have a striker like Hogan in the side.

Not for me, I think we need midfielders supporting Hogan that can get in the box and score a goal. McEachran doesn't fulfil either of these categories.
 

Team for Preston

Not for me, I think we need midfielders supporting Hogan that can get in the box and score a goal. McEachran doesn't fulfil either of these categories.

Kaikai and Sawyers can do this - almost like a 4 -3-3. Hogan plays on the shoulder of the last defender and is desperate for through balls; Josh is the best at providing these.
 

Team for Preston

I'd like to see a more attacking emphasis for this one as I think Preston will look to sit deep and wait for us to take the initiative, especially as compared to the last couple of games. Kaikai definitely needs to start but I'd consider getting Vibe back in as well to provide a bit more support to Hogan. Clarke and either McLeod or Sawyers to drop to the bench. And Yennaris to play a bit further up the pitch.

Just about as I see it except that Vibe flatters to deceive as he invariably performs well as a late sub but rarely so when he starts. McLeod should definitely start over Sawyers if that is the choice because McLeod is the stronger and more creative of the two whilst neither threaten goals. But I feel Dean Smith rates Sawyers far more highly than I, and many others, do and he will be reluctant not to select him. Nico was pretty awful on Wednesday but I think (hope) that was just a 'blip'. Clarke, similarly, didn't impress at Villa and Kaikai gave us far more impetus when he came on. I like Clarke and i'm sure he'll make a very decent player but Kaikai can ignite an otherwise fairly 'after you, Claude' midfield.
 

Team for Preston

As has been said only one change needed Kaikai for Clarke. Why on earth would you start josh mac. Has offered virtually nothing when played and too similar to woods (and woods is miles better)
 

Team for Preston

Apparently they played 4-4-2 v Cardiff and have 2 useful wide men.
I want to see Bjelland get established but he's no left back, and if Elder is missing then I'd prefer Barbet in that position. Also Kaikai was far more effective than Josh Clarke, and Nico has been off his game recently.
Bentley
Colin, Egan, Dean, Barbet
Woods, McEachran
Kaikai, Sawyers, MacLeod
Hogan.
 

Team for Preston

Woods has been playing as the 1 in the 4-1-4-1 so McEachran and Woods are not a pairing like they were in a 4-2-3-1.
But the 4-1-4-1 quoted, in reality, had Yennaris playing up alongside Sawyers, then dropping back to play alongside Woods when defending deeper. Nico has got through a lot of work in those games but they were aways against strong sides. There's a rotation argument at home to swap Josh in for Nico and give him a rest but that's about it.
 

Team for Preston

Unless players are carrying injuries I would be very surprised if there were changes following 2 excellent results.

Changes can take place when results change or injuries and suspensions kick in, at which point those that come in have the chance to perform well and keep their place

If it ain't broke don't fix it
 

Team for Preston

As has been said only one change needed Kaikai for Clarke. Why on earth would you start josh mac. Has offered virtually nothing when played and too similar to woods (and woods is miles better)

I wouldnt say Woods is miles better, i would say hes in better form.
 

Team for Preston

Unless players are carrying injuries I would be very surprised if there were changes following 2 excellent results.

Changes can take place when results change or injuries and suspensions kick in, at which point those that come in have the chance to perform well and keep their place

If it ain't broke don't fix it

It may not be broke but we can improve/upgrade it ;)

Kaikai will take us another step forward IMO. Just a level above Clarke atm im afraid.
 

Team for Preston

As has been said only one change needed Kaikai for Clarke. Why on earth would you start josh mac. Has offered virtually nothing when played and too similar to woods (and woods is miles better)

Quite. Our second half formation on Wednesday with Kaikai wide left and McLeod wide right looked fine to me. Why mess with it?
 

Team for Preston

Unless players are carrying injuries I would be very surprised if there were changes following 2 excellent results.

Changes can take place when results change or injuries and suspensions kick in, at which point those that come in have the chance to perform well and keep their place

If it ain't broke don't fix it

According to Rasmus that's just when you should fix it ... to make it even better!
 

Team for Preston

As has been said only one change needed Kaikai for Clarke. Why on earth would you start josh mac. Has offered virtually nothing when played and too similar to woods (and woods is miles better)

Because he is potentially the best forward passer of the ball in the club and we have a striker who thrives on them. It is better to try these things out when we are on a roll rather than waiting for a bad run and bringing him into a team that is struggling. If it doesn't work, change it, but now is the time to give him another go IMO
 

Team for Preston

Not for me, I think we need midfielders supporting Hogan that can get in the box and score a goal. McEachran doesn't fulfil either of these categories.

When he's on his game McEachran has the ability to provide more killer balls for Hogan than anyone (maybe MacLeod aside). The problem is when he has been given a run in the team he's had one good game in every four.
 

Team for Preston

When he's on his game McEachran has the ability to provide more killer balls for Hogan than anyone (maybe MacLeod aside). The problem is when he has been given a run in the team he's had one good game in every four.

I wonder how many he has played with Hogan in the team.
 

Team for Preston

McEachran did well at Villa, but I'd rather form an opinion on his ability to contribute based on longer-term performances than 10 minutes on Wednesday.

If he continues to play well and takes the opportunities that come his way, he will earn a place in the side. Most of the time, however, his all-round game hasn't been good enough to deserve a place in the starting eleven.

On the other hand, Yennaris has been generally excellent over the last 7 or 8 months. Yes, he didn't use the ball particularly well on Wednesday, but was still very good out of possession, and hasn't done anything significantly negative to put his place under any threat, other than the usual competition.
 

Team for Preston

Because he is potentially the best forward passer of the ball in the club and we have a striker who thrives on them. It is better to try these things out when we are on a roll rather than waiting for a bad run and bringing him into a team that is struggling. If it doesn't work, change it, but now is the time to give him another go IMO

Sorry don't agree. He has had ample chances. KK has put through more passes than Josh and I would not have him starting either. Thankfully looks like Deano thinks the same
 

Team for Preston

Whatever we do, please don't start getting on the backs of Nico and Romaine. I heard a bit of that that at Villa.
 

Team for Preston

I'm the villa highlights Nico is the reason for play to break down on several occasions.
 

Team for Preston

I'd still like to see KK given a chance. End of last season he appeared to strike up a good understanding with Hogan. Not sure who I'd leave out though?
 

Team for Preston

I'm the villa highlights Nico is the reason for play to break down on several occasions.
He didn't have his best game but he was also the reason for Villa's play to break down on several occasions; his ability to break up the opposition play is his strongest attribute.
 

Team for Preston

I'd start with the same team that started with Villa.

The strength of bring on Kaikai, Vibe, JM, or others during mid second half, is that we impose ourselves even more on the other team as the game goes on, and the other team tires. That's why Villa looked like they'd be beaten if there had been another 5 minutes in that game.
 

Team for Preston

I'd still like to see KK given a chance. End of last season he appeared to strike up a good understanding with Hogan. Not sure who I'd leave out though?

Dont think its going to happen. Not on the bench and not getting many minutes. We've improved and performed better as a side since he has been out of the side.
 

Team for Preston

I'd still like to see KK given a chance. End of last season he appeared to strike up a good understanding with Hogan. Not sure who I'd leave out though?

I think McEachran is in front of him now.
 

Team for Preston

Bentley

Colin Egan Bjelland Barbet

KaiKai Woods McCormack Macleod

Sawyers

Hogan
 

Team for Preston

We've improved and performed better as a side since he (KK) has been out of the side.

Agree with a lot you post but how did you work that out? I sound like a f'd up record but have to stress that the only games where KK started in his correct and natural number 10 position last season - we won 5-1, 3-0 and 4-1.

This was the best run under Smith and still is!! The results and KK's stats speak for itself.
 

Team for Preston

Bentley

Dean Egan

Woods Yennaris

Hogan


+ another five from the squad
 

Team for Preston

Sorry don't agree. He has had ample chances. KK has put through more passes than Josh and I would not have him starting either. Thankfully looks like Deano thinks the same

No problem: your view is the percentage one, and I am sure DS will go with it. I think Josh will feature pretty soon though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom