Team v PNE

upnorthbee

Active member
Joined
3 Jan 2006
Messages
6,414
Reaction score
10,023
Location
Melbourne

Team v PNE

We all saw what happened v Birmingham, to be honest I think the less said about it the better, let's move on quickly and avoid the argument.

We surely cannot keep persisting with the Janelt and Norgaard combination. It's a combo that will be useful for defending a lead with 20 mins to go, but we need to win games now so SURELY we need to be positive. Janelt for me has been the find of the season, harsh on Norgaard but the reality is we have two of our best players in the same position. I'm praying we have Dalsgaard back, but if not it has to be Roerslev as I think i'd rather play Fosu higher up the pitch. Ghoddos or Marcondes, take your pick to be honest, but I feel Ghoddos will be here next season and has more to prove. We could always try the 352 thing and throw Forss up there too, either way we're crying out for a change.

It goes without saying, without Rico and JDS we are losing more than just 2 players, but 2 of the 3 players (including Canos) that can actually run with the ball. The team below is not a top 2 team, but could grab a win (with some effort and guts) at Preston on Saturday. Preston have just grabbed 4 points off Norwich and Swansea, so are obviously no mugs but we need wins.... so let's go for one.

Raya

Dalsgaard? Pinnock Jansson Sorenson

Jensen Janelt Ghoddos

Canos Toney Fosu
 

Team v PNE

Raya
Dalsgarrd
Janson
Pinnock
MBS
Marcondes
Jensen
Norgarrd
Canos
Ghoddos
Toney
 

Team v PNE

Raya

Roerslev
Pontus
Pinncok
MDS

Janelt
Norgaard
Jensen

Canos
Toney
Mbeumo

Ghoddos and Marcondes 70th Minute
Fosu 77th minute
Forss 85th minute

There isn't much point guessing or thinking of different solutions at this stage as it's so predictable.
 

Team v PNE

Raya

Roerslev
Pontus
Pinncok
MDS

Janelt
Norgaard
Jensen

Canos
Toney
Mbeumo

Ghoddos and Marcondes 70th Minute
Fosu 77th minute
Forss 85th minute

There isn't much point guessing or thinking of different solutions at this stage as it's so predictable.

Agree completely seems our only plan at the moment

Would love to see

Raya
Pinnock Jansson Reid
Fosu Norgaard Jensen Ghoddos
Forss Toney Pressley
 

Team v PNE

I don’t go with most of the team selections , I don’t get the selection of Ghoddos, I would rather see Zamburek given a start than Ghoddos, not to sure Marcondes deserves a start
 

Team v PNE

Agree completely seems our only plan at the moment

Would love to see

Raya
Pinnock Jansson Reid
Fosu Norgaard Jensen Ghoddos
Forss Toney Pressley
Surely you can make space for Gunnarson in goal!
 

Team v PNE

I don’t go with most of the team selections , I don’t get the selection of Ghoddos, I would rather see Zamburek given a start than Ghoddos, not to sure Marcondes deserves a start
What's your team then Del? I'll be honest the times i've seen Zam he's looked a little off the pace, but I agree change is needed.
 

Team v PNE

Horses for courses, I think he’ll play both Nørgaard and Janelt. He needs some tackling done against Preston, if I remember correctly from when we last played them.
 

Team v PNE

The team kind of picks itself really . It would be great as strange as it sounds to rotate Toney a bit but unfortunately Forss not up to the job of playing the lone front man .
 

Team v PNE

played well for an hour , no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Same team for me
I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with any of your posts!... but I imagine we’d get a point out the game if we did. In every other circumstance a point at Deepdale is a great result, but in my opinion we need to risk a point to win 3 at this stage.
 

Team v PNE

I think a change is needed and not just a simple rotation of players. The problem with 3-5-2 is that, in the past, it has tended to make us stronger at the back but more limited going forwards. And without Rico as the left wing back, I don't know that we have the right personnel for it. I assume, also, we train every day of the week with a 4-3-3 formation, so the players are more drilled to that (not that you'd know if from recent performances!).

I'd like to see Canos or Fosu deployed at RB to give us more attacking options on the overlap. It will help Mbuemo if he can cut inside knowing he has an actual winger running past him. I'd also rest Norgaard, partly because he probably needs one after returning from a long lay off, and partly because it frees up a spot for a more attacking midfielder:

Raya
Fosu/Canos
Pinnock
Janson
MBS
Janelt
Jenson
Marcondes
Mbuemo
Toney
Canos/Fosu
 

Team v PNE

The team kind of picks itself really . It would be great as strange as it sounds to rotate Toney a bit but unfortunately Forss not up to the job of playing the lone front man .


How do you know whether Forss is up to it ? Fleeting appearances of less than fifteen minutes are hardly giving him any chance, but I'm getting tired of seeing Toney spend large amounts of the game wrestling with opposition centre halves or ending up on his backside.
 

Team v PNE

How do you know whether Forss is up to it ? Fleeting appearances of less than fifteen minutes are hardly giving him any chance, but I'm getting tired of seeing Toney spend large amounts of the game wrestling with opposition centre halves or ending up on his backside.
Ok only 1 game granted but against Coventry like many others that day he was awful. Doesn’t have the physicality to play the lone roll or pace to run in behind.
 

Team v PNE

Play to the strengths of what we have to play with!
an adaptable 3 - 5 - 2.

...................................Raya..................
.......Jansson........Pinnock..........Sorensen

Fosu...................................................................Canos
..................Norgaard........Janelt......................
...................................Jensen OR Ghoddos
..............................Forss.......Toney
 

Team v PNE

I honestly can’t see TF changing anything. We’ve been playing poorly for weeks and tactically we haven’t changed anything. I think it’ll be the same team with maybe Jensen coming in...
 

Team v PNE

I honestly can’t see TF changing anything. We’ve been playing poorly for weeks and tactically we haven’t changed anything. I think it’ll be the same team with maybe Jensen coming in...

Jensen started last night
 

Team v PNE

alternative... sticking to the only formation TF will use..

.....................................Raya

Fosu............Jansson..............Pinnock........MBS

..............Janelt................Ghoddos./Jensen.......Norgaard

...............Toney...........Forss................Canos

let's face it, we're going to play lots of long balls, so let's have Forss and Canos and Ghoddos feeding off the second balls from Toney knock-downs
 

Team v PNE

As I said in the team v Birmingham thread, I’d like to see us taking some measured risks and innovate a bit. PNE are only one of two teams this season to score more than twice against us in a league game and the only one which has the potential to do the double over us. So we need a mixture of guile, muscle and creativity.
I’d like to see the following:
(4-1-3-2)
Raya,
Dalsgaard *, Jansson, Pinnock, MBS
Norgaard,
Marcondes, Janelt, Fosu,
Toney, Ghoddos

* or Roerslev if HD is unfit
 

Team v PNE

As I said in the team v Birmingham thread, I’d like to see us taking some measured risks and innovate a bit. PNE are only one of two teams this season to score more than twice against us in a league game and the only one which has the potential to do the double over us. So we need a mixture of guile, muscle and creativity.
I’d like to see the following:
(4-1-3-2)
Raya,
Dalsgaard *, Jansson, Pinnock, MBS
Norgaard,
Marcondes, Janelt, Fosu,
Toney, Ghoddos

* or Roerslev if HD is unfit
Dalsgaard is injured
 

Team v PNE

As I said in the team v Birmingham thread, I’d like to see us taking some measured risks and innovate a bit. PNE are only one of two teams this season to score more than twice against us in a league game and the only one which has the potential to do the double over us. So we need a mixture of guile, muscle and creativity.
I’d like to see the following:
(4-1-3-2)
Raya,
Dalsgaard *, Jansson, Pinnock, MBS
Norgaard,
Marcondes, Janelt, Fosu,
Toney, Ghoddos

* or Roerslev if HD is unfit
i like the look of that team. Ghoddos to score a screamer of a half volley from a Toney header down from a Pinnock long ball.
 

Team v PNE

Won’t happen but:
Raya

Dalsgaard (if fit)
Jansson
Pinnock
Mads Bach

Fosu
Janelt
Norgaard
Sergi

Forss
Toney
 

Team v PNE

I have only seen one mention of the change in set up last night ie Canos floating much more in and around Toney, Roerslev more like a right winger than right back and Mbuemo mostly on the left. We played similarly a few home games ago, with the heat map showing Dalsgaard well advanced for most of the game, meaning we were actually playing three at the back most of the time.

This worked pretty well for a hour last night so I would continue with it with minor tweaks, bringing in Marcondes for Jensen and, if Henrik is not fit considering Fosu instead of Roerslev given he would in effect be playing right wing back. So, while we would line-up 4-3-3, in play the formation would often look like the below:


Raya

Pontus Pinnock Sorenson

Norgaard Janelt

Fosu Canos Marcondes Mbuemo

Toney
 

Team v PNE

At the mo we look like a mid table team. We are weak in our wide attacking options going forwards ( l include the full backs too) and there's little creativity from mid. Toney is getting only scraps of service. We aren't the only team in the race for the playoffs which has run out of steam but Barnsley and Muff seem to have the momentum. Not sure how we can pull this around but maybe we do need to start three at the back? We need to do somthing different as even if we get in the playoffs l cant see us winning as things stand. Trouble is Thomas doesnt like change. Maybe Josh and Rico will make it back? They would certainly make a difference.Still football is a funny old game.
 

Team v PNE

I think a change is needed and not just a simple rotation of players. The problem with 3-5-2 is that, in the past, it has tended to make us stronger at the back but more limited going forwards. And without Rico as the left wing back, I don't know that we have the right personnel for it. I assume, also, we train every day of the week with a 4-3-3 formation, so the players are more drilled to that (not that you'd know if from recent performances!).

I'd like to see Canos or Fosu deployed at RB to give us more attacking options on the overlap. It will help Mbuemo if he can cut inside knowing he has an actual winger running past him. I'd also rest Norgaard, partly because he probably needs one after returning from a long lay off, and partly because it frees up a spot for a more attacking midfielder:

Raya
Fosu/Canos
Pinnock
Janson
MBS
Janelt
Jenson
Marcondes
Mbuemo
Toney
Canos/Fosu
Roerslev to continue his development at right back. Canos to continue as Tuesday. He was our one bright spark going forward.
 

Team v PNE

It goes without saying, without Rico and JDS we are losing more than just 2 players, but 2 of the 3 players (including Canos) that can actually run with the ball.

I think this is a really good point. To progress up the pitch we have to play the perfect passing game, whereas earlier in the season (and certainly last year) we could take players on get into dangerous territory.

  • DaSilva has the most dribbles in our squad: 2 successful dribbles per 90
  • *2nd is Canos with 1.7 per 90
  • 3rd is Fosu with 1.5 per 90
  • 4th is Mbuemo and Henry with 1.1 per 90
  • Then it drops to below 1 a game with the Danish lads Roerslev (0.9) , Jensen (0.9), Dalsgaard (0.7), and Norgaard (0.6)
My take is that it allows man marking strategies to work against us, because we haven't got the players to attempt dribbles

Canos is undroppable at the moment in that sense. In the absense of what DaSilva brings in this regard, I'd bring Fosu in for Mbuemo. I think he needs to be taken out of the firing line for a while anyway.

*The other interesting one that I didn't include above is Zamburek because although he's got a high 1.8 dribbles per 90, he's only played 50 minutes of football
 

Team v PNE

JDS has the ability to receive the ball facing where the ball is coming from and turn to run upfield, he does it so smoothly. Other players will pass the ball back to where it came from because they lack this ability.
 

Team v PNE

At the mo we look like a mid table team. We are weak in our wide attacking options going forwards ( l include the full backs too) and there's little creativity from mid. Toney is getting only scraps of service. We aren't the only team in the race for the playoffs which has run out of steam but Barnsley and Muff seem to have the momentum. Not sure how we can pull this around but maybe we do need to start three at the back? We need to do somthing different as even if we get in the playoffs l cant see us winning as things stand. Trouble is Thomas doesnt like change. Maybe Josh and Rico will make it back? They would certainly make a difference.Still football is a funny old game.
Three at the back with Sergi and Fosu as wing backs. Forss up from with Toney.
We either make some changes or we’ll be lucky to make the playoffs let alone win them.
We’ve been sussed. Shrewd experienced managers know how to play us.
 

Team v PNE

....................................Raya
....................Jansson.............Pinnock
............Roerslev..........Janelt..........MBS
Fosu.......Mbeumo......Toney......Forss......Canos
 

Team v PNE

Preston are pretty low on the form table. Over the last 6 games, they have scored 3 goals. I’d like to see a more attacking mindset for this game as I think PNE will struggle to keep up if we get 2 or more goals. Here is my take.
Janelt slotting in at RB in place of Roerselev (can provide more control and threat going forward). All Danish midfield, Jensen and Emiliano can create and push forward together with Norgaard playing clean up. Fosu in for Canos with Canos subbed in at 60 if no goals. Mbuemo has been key on assists this season so hesitant to drop him.

Raya
Janelt
Pinnock
Jansen
MBS

Jensen
Norgaard
Emiliano

Mbuemo
Toney
Fosu
 

Team v PNE

Building on my previous post, I'd be inclined to play:

Raya

Roerslev (HD if fit)
Jansson
Pinnock
MBS

Norgaard
Janelt
Jensen

Canos
Fosu

Toney
 

Team v PNE

At the mo we look like a mid table team. We are weak in our wide attacking options going forwards ( l include the full backs too) and there's little creativity from mid. Toney is getting only scraps of service. We aren't the only team in the race for the playoffs which has run out of steam but Barnsley and Muff seem to have the momentum. Not sure how we can pull this around but maybe we do need to start three at the back? We need to do somthing different as even if we get in the playoffs l cant see us winning as things stand. Trouble is Thomas doesnt like change. Maybe Josh and Rico will make it back? They would certainly make a difference.Still football is a funny old game.


Suggest we experiment with an instruction that 70% of passes have to be made in a forward direction, 20% square and maximum 10% back towards our goal.
Add in that the player making the forward pass immediately supports the player he has passed to. The basis of the tactics to play the majority of the game in the opposition half and not in ours, as we have been for the last two months.
 

Team v PNE

Suggest we experiment with an instruction that 70% of passes have to be made in a forward direction, 20% square and maximum 10% back towards our goal.
Add in that the player making the forward pass immediately supports the player he has passed to. The basis of the tactics to play the majority of the game in the opposition half and not in ours, as we have been for the last two months.

It's a fair point. We have definitely not been brave enough with our forward passing last few games, particularly from the CBs
 

Team v PNE

------------------Raya---------
-------Jansson Pinnock MBS
Fosu ------------------------------------Canos
------------Jensen Nordgaard------
-----------------Ghoddas-------------
--------------Toney Forss
Thats basically what I wrote in the Birmingham match thread straight after the game, with exception to ghoddas being marcondes.
 

Team v PNE

Thats basically what I wrote in the Birmingham match thread straight after the game, with exception to ghoddas being marcondes.
Why do we need 3 centre backs? I thought there were already complaints that we play too slow out from the back.
 

Team v PNE

Doesn't need much changing. Play like we did first half and take the chances. Would swap Janelt out for Marcondes because the one thing he will give you is an extra body in the box which should hopefully give Toney a little more space. Dalsgaard back if fit otherwise as you were..

Raya, Dalsgaard (Roerslev), Pontus, Pinnock, Sorenson, Norgaard, Jensen, Marcondes, Canos, Toney, Mbeumo.

Subs: Daniels, Reid, Roerslev (Stevens), Janelt, Fosu, Forss, Ghoddos, Pressley, Brook
 

Team v PNE

Why do we need 3 centre backs? I thought there were already complaints that we play too slow out from the back.

We technically already play with 3, and Roeslerv.
Moving to 3 CB, having Fosu and Canos playing slightly more defensive but having the ability to play wide whilst keeping 3 midfielders, and having 2 up top. Toney played with 2 up top for Posh, gives defenders something else to think about if there is another forward too..
 

Team v PNE

We technically already play with 3, and Roeslerv.
Moving to 3 CB, having Fosu and Canos playing slightly more defensive but having the ability to play wide whilst keeping 3 midfielders, and having 2 up top. Toney played with 2 up top for Posh, gives defenders something else to think about if there is another forward too..

Seems a bit rigid and lacking in width to me. I don't think we have the wing backs for it.
 

Team v PNE

Seems a bit rigid and lacking in width to me. I don't think we have the wing backs for it.
With canos and fosu out wide, you think that's lacking width?
I think them giving a good wide outlet is great and also gives us the opportunity to revert to our 433 with fosu rb when needed.
 

Team v PNE

With canos and fosu out wide, you think that's lacking width?
I think them giving a good wide outlet is great and also gives us the opportunity to revert to our 433 with fosu rb when needed.

Neither is left footed so the idea of wing backs getting to the line and crossing balls into the box is a bit redundant on the left side. 532 is too predictable. The opposition will know where every player on the pitch is supposed to be. 433 works because you have either fullback attacking and a front 3 who can interchange and get close to the centre forward. There's nothing wrong with 433 as borne out by the last two seasons and we don't want to putting square pegs into round holes just to fit players into the team - we need the players to play the current system better but a combination of poor form and burn out is stopping that. Thomas Frank remember went to 3 at the back because of a defensive necessity, not an attacking one and apart from individual errors, our defensive system is fine.
 

Team v PNE

Neither is left footed so the idea of wing backs getting to the line and crossing balls into the box is a bit redundant on the left side. 532 is too predictable. The opposition will know where every player on the pitch is supposed to be. 433 works because you have either fullback attacking and a front 3 who can interchange and get close to the centre forward. There's nothing wrong with 433 as borne out by the last two seasons and we don't want to putting square pegs into round holes just to fit players into the team - we need the players to play the current system better but a combination of poor form and burn out is stopping that. Thomas Frank remember went to 3 at the back because of a defensive necessity, not an attacking one and apart from individual errors, our defensive system is fine.
Haven't they both played left wing before?
Can't see the issue here with playing on the left, they both played this formation too for us, think were both right wing backs so position not that uncomfortable. Canos has spent most games on the left when he plays and would continue to do so but slightly more defensively. Fosu, on the right. I think by looking at it with 5 midfielders rather than 5 defenders and 2 forwards. We've not exactly been scoring for fun with 1.

Also, with our 2 most experienced full backs out, having to play a player experienced in Central defence as a left attacking full back is, what id say, a defensive necessity to try something different. It is easily changeable with MBS able to slip into left back and fosu right back if reverting back to a 433.
 

Team v PNE

Haven't they both played left wing before?
Can't see the issue here with playing on the left, they both played this formation too for us, think were both right wing backs so position not that uncomfortable. Canos has spent most games on the left when he plays and would continue to do so but slightly more defensively. Fosu, on the right. I think by looking at it with 5 midfielders rather than 5 defenders and 2 forwards. We've not exactly been scoring for fun with 1.

Also, with our 2 most experienced full backs out, having to play a player experienced in Central defence as a left attacking full back is, what id say, a defensive necessity to try something different. It is easily changeable with MBS able to slip into left back and fosu right back if reverting back to a 433.

Wing backs play wide, they don't cut in which Canos and Fosu both like doing, They also have to get up and down the pitch - Canos won't do that for 90 minutes,, Fosu isn't quick enough. If we did by chance play 532, I'm sorry to say a lot of people will be disappointed because we would almost certainly have Mbeumo on the left side. I wouldn't have so much of a problem if we had wing back specialists who are used to playing the system but to stick two forwards in and hope it works out ok seems a risk.
 

Team v PNE

There’s nothing wrong with the formation. We’re basically doing the right things up to a point. We just haven’t had the composure or the luck in the final third but we’re getting into all the right positions. One thing we do need to address is getting more bodies into the box. We got plenty of decent crosses in on Tuesday from both sides but it’s got to be absolutely bang on if you’re going to pick out Toney as the only player in there. Janelt and Jensen should be getting in there from midfield and the wide players pushing in form the other side but that’s not happening. I don’t see a change to 3 at the back making much of a difference there tbh. I’d stick with the way we were playing on tuesday, Canos got into some great positions centrally but we need the third midfielder to join him and push into the box..
 

Team v PNE

There’s nothing wrong with the formation. We’re basically doing the right things up to a point. We just haven’t had the composure or the luck in the final third but we’re getting into all the right positions. One thing we do need to address is getting more bodies into the box. We got plenty of decent crosses in on Tuesday from both sides but it’s got to be absolutely bang on if you’re going to pick out Toney as the only player in there. Janelt and Jensen should be getting in there from midfield and the wide players pushing in form the other side but that’s not happening. I don’t see a change to 3 at the back making much of a difference there tbh. I’d stick with the way we were playing on tuesday, Canos got into some great positions centrally but we need the third midfielder to join him and push into the box..

yep , i would be more than happy if we produce the level of the first hour.

If we had won like we should of , we would all be saying " what a good performance "
 

Team v PNE

Raya....

Roerslev-Pinnock-Jannson-Sorensen...

Norgaard

Marcondes - Ghoddos

Fosu -----Toney ------Canos.
 

Team v PNE

I know TF will continue with the 4-3-3 but I would fancy a 4-2-3-1 with the same back four as Tuesday, VJ and CN sitting in front with either able to push forward when necessary, Canos, Jensen, Mbeumo in the MF three and Ivan up front. Wrong time of the season for any changes I accept, but perhaps some twiddling to allow somebody to get alongside Ivan? Can't see him getting to 30 goals any day soon otherwise.
 

Team v PNE

Raya
Roeslev Pinnock Jansen MBS
Norgaard Janelt Marcondes
Canos Toney Fosu
Subs Daniels Stevens Reid Goode Forss Ghoddos Mbuemo Jensen Bidstrup
 
Back
Top Bottom