Team vs Fulscum

Artixbee

Active member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,017
Reaction score
806

Team vs Fulscum

For me:

Bentley
Clarke Mepham Bjelland Barbet
Moktojo Woods
Judge Sawyers Watkins
Maupay

Subs: Daniels, Dalsgaard, Egan, Mcchecran, Yennaris, Canos, (one of ) Flo/Lewis/Marcondes

. Many will disagree with my choice of RB (especially after Dalsgaard's good game against Forest), but Sessegnon is by some distance the best player in this league, and I cannot see Dalsgaard living with his pace.

. Also feel we need our technically best two centre backs against them. I reckon Bjelland and Mepham can have Mitrovic in their pocket. In the mid, we don't need to worry about height and physicality, more ball retention and good pressing, and use our bench to open up the spaces as the game goes on.
 

Team vs Fulscum

For me:

Bentley
Clarke Mepham Bjelland Barbet
Moktojo Woods
Judge Sawyers Watkins
Maupay

Subs: Daniels, Dalsgaard, Egan, Mcchecran, Yennaris, Canos, (one of ) Flo/Lewis/Marcondes

. Many will disagree with my choice of RB (especially after Dalsgaard's good game against Forest), but Sessegnon is by some distance the best player in this league, and I cannot see Dalsgaard living with his pace.

. Also feel we need our technically best two centre backs against them. I reckon Bjelland and Mepham can have Mitrovic in their pocket. In the mid, we don't need to worry about height and physicality, more ball retention and good pressing, and use our bench to open up the spaces as the game goes on.

I agree with your analysis. The only thing I disagree with is the choice of Judge, as I think he's a way off his best. If Flo is fit then I'd have him in place of Judge.
 

Team vs Fulscum

I agree with your analysis. The only thing I disagree with is the choice of Judge, as I think he's a way off his best. If Flo is fit then I'd have him in place of Judge.

I wouldn't argue with that.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Dare we start Woods and McE together? McE is on much better form than Kamo and Nico on the basis of recent performances and Woods must return, but it is not a partnership that has worked that often in the past. I would probably risk it, so:

Bentley
Henrik Bjelland Mepham (DS will play Egan I am sure) Barbet
Woods McE
Sawyers
Flo (hopefully) Maupay Watkins

I would play Judge if no Flo - neither he nor Canos are really on their top game at the moment, but I have more faith in Judge
 

Team vs Fulscum

Dare we start Woods and McE together? McE is on much better form than Kamo and Nico on the basis of recent performances and Woods must return, but it is not a partnership that has worked that often in the past. I would probably risk it, so:

Bentley
Henrik Bjelland Mepham (DS will play Egan I am sure) Barbet
Woods McE
Sawyers
Flo (hopefully) Maupay Watkins

I would play Judge if no Flo - neither he nor Canos are really on their top game at the moment, but I have more faith in Judge

That would be my team too apart from Egan for Mepham. Don't think we should keep changing centre-back pairing after getting clean sheets
 

Team vs Fulscum

Woods has to come straight back in.

Bentley

Henrik Bjelland Mepham Barbet

Woods Nico

Sawyers

Flo Maupay Watkins
 

Team vs Fulscum

Bentley
Dalsgaard Mepham Bjelland Clarke
Woods McEachran Sawyers
Flojo Maupay Watkins
 

Team vs Fulscum

Bentley

Dalsgaard Mepham Bjelland Barbet
Woods McEachran Sawyers
Flojo Watkins Judge

The big difference between now and when we last played Fulham is that they have a striker, so we need to be defensively tight to keep Mitrovic out but can take advantage of their being more likely to try and set him up making them more predictable.

Need to have our first choice defence and for its principal role to be defending and getting the ball up to midfield and attack rather than bombing forward a lot itself so I'd drop Clarke for Barbet. Midfield trio to interchange, Woods and McEachran to play quite close together but with licence for one or both to take the ball further up with Sawyers dropping back when they do. Similarly, the front three to be switching it around.

Maupay to come off the bench, Nico and Sergi also to inject more drive.

If we play to our potential it could be a classic match.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Bentley

Dalsgaard Mepham Bjelland Barbet
Woods McEachran Sawyers
Flojo Watkins Judge

The big difference between now and when we last played Fulham is that they have a striker, so we need to be defensively tight to keep Mitrovic out but can take advantage of their being more likely to try and set him up making them more predictable.

Need to have our first choice defence and for its principal role to be defending and getting the ball up to midfield and attack rather than bombing forward a lot itself so I'd drop Clarke for Barbet. Midfield trio to interchange, Woods and McEachran to play quite close together but with licence for one or both to take the ball further up with Sawyers dropping back when they do. Similarly, the front three to be switching it around.

Maupay to come off the bench, Nico and Sergi also to inject more drive.

If we play to our potential it could be a classic match.

I think a local derby atmosphere will be ideal for Maupay to thrive on, come Saturday, and with recent goals in him too. If FloJo isn’t fit then a case could be made to play both Henrik & Clarke on the right side, to limit their wonderkid’s room for manoeuvre. I know we don’t normally set out to counter the opposition, but the prize might be worth making an exception here.
 

Team vs Fulscum

It's an interesting conundrum as to whether we decide to adapt our team or not. Clearly just focusing on ourselves wasn't sufficient against the best team in the league, when Wolves turned us over, but no other team has done that to us this season. Can we expect the same thing from the 2nd best team in the league?

On the other hand, we don't want a situation similar to Man City at Anfield last week, when an exceptional team turned up looking overly concerned and even scared by their opposition, by making uncharacteristic tactical alterations.

Some interesting decisions for DS...
 

Team vs Fulscum

I would like to play the team as close to the one we played in the home game. So will go with:

Bentley
Dalsgaard Mepham Bjelland Barbet
Woods Nico Mokotjo
Flojo Sawyers Watkin

With Sawyers as the false 9.
 

Team vs Fulscum

I would like to play the team as close to the one we played in the home game. So will go with:

Bentley
Dalsgaard Mepham Bjelland Barbet
Woods Nico Mokotjo
Flojo Sawyers Watkin

With Sawyers as the false 9.

I really did like Sawyers in this role. Plenty of options later in the game too on this basis
 

Team vs Fulscum

This is really where Smith earns his crust, very tough decisions to be made in defence and midfield and whatever he selects will be a gamble. For me:

Bentley
Dalsgaard Mepham Bjellend Barbet
Woods Sawyers
McEachran
Watkins Maupay Flo/Canos depending on fitness.
 

Team vs Fulscum

I think DS will play safe and go with Woods. Benham and Rasmus wont agree lol Bloody nervous already
 

Team vs Fulscum

Lots of good reasoning above so far, and very difficult to call. Just a few thoughts. I have a hunch that DS won't start with Woods, as we've faired well without him and, if he follows precedent, he is not in possession of the jersey. Not sure if this would be good or bad, but he is someone who could be used well off the bench. Would definitely start Josh M as he is beginning to build up a head of steam IMO. Maupay should start on form and for nuisance value. Hopefully he dons his Velcro boots on Saturday so as to hold up play, as opposed to the Teflon pair he favoured last night according to some commentators. Finally, I like Janorak's idea of teaming up Clarke and Barbet on the left. Makes a lot of sense after the experience of Fulham at GP last season where Sessegnan and Fredericks ripped us to shreds. Whoever starts wide right will also have to provide proper cover for Dalsgaard.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Flo all the way, even when he’s poop imo he's still a handful, I’d love to see Mepham have a go at Mitrovic but last night’s performance by the CBs will make it hard to pick him. Woods in pls, give Bentley a go in goal, Sawyers, Maupay will be knackered so Sawyers being a falsie against them might work, perhaps allows for a floating Judge. All mad but it makes sense to me.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Bentley
Clarke Egan Bjelland Barbet
Woods Mokotjo
Jozefzoon Watkins Sawyers
Maupay
 

Team vs Fulscum

Bentley
Dalsgaard Egan Bjelland Barbet
Mokotjo McEachran Sawyers
Flo/Canos Maupay Watkins
Subs Daniels Mepham Clarke Woods Yennaris Flo/Canos Marcondes
 

Team vs Fulscum

Big decisions for Smith.IMO we definitely need Mephams pace at the back so one of Egan and Bjelland out. Full backs Barbet and Dalsgaard. IMO also need two mid players who we can rely on to be a physical obstacle to Fulham in front of our back four. Woods definitely plus one of Mojo and Yennaris. If fit Flojo. If not Canos.Other two in mid Sawyers and Watkins.Maupay with his endless energy.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Big decisions for Smith.IMO we definitely need Mephams pace at the back so one of Egan and Bjelland out. Full backs Barbet and Dalsgaard. IMO also need two mid players who we can rely on to be a physical obstacle to Fulham in front of our back four. Woods definitely plus one of Mojo and Yennaris. If fit Flojo. If not Canos.Other two in mid Sawyers and Watkins.Maupay with his endless energy.

We won't play with 4 midfielders...
 

Team vs Fulscum

Bentley

Dalsgaard Mepham Bjelland Clarke

Woods Nico Sawyers

Flo Watkins Judge

I can’t see it though!

It’s probably the toughest team to pick of this season, imo. Many options and some players dropped who probably don’t deserve to be dropped. DS has some big decisions to make.
 

Team vs Fulscum

I would like to play the team as close to the one we played in the home game. So will go with:

Bentley
Dalsgaard Mepham Bjelland Barbet
Woods Nico Mokotjo
Flojo Sawyers Watkin

With Sawyers as the false 9.

This but Clarke in for Dalsgaard to counteract the pace of Sessegnon.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Lots of people not picking Egan after 3 clean sheets on the trot.
Nice selection problems i guess
 

Team vs Fulscum

Lots of people not picking Egan after 3 clean sheets on the trot.
Nice selection problems i guess

Good point but we are a better footballing side with Mepham and his defensive qualities are just as strong. However, I would expect DS to pick Egan and I wouldn't have any great problem with that TBH.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Good point but we are a better footballing side with Mepham and his defensive qualities are just as strong. However, I would expect DS to pick Egan and I wouldn't have any great problem with that TBH.

Egan and Bjelland did very well on Tuesday, especially given that there was absolutely no protection whatever in front of them.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Bjelland is absolute class , i wish we would keep him .
 

Team vs Fulscum

Egan and Bjelland did very well on Tuesday, especially given that there was absolutely no protection whatever in front of them.

Defensively, yes, but compare the quality of our football against Forest (without Mepham) with that against Bristol (with Mepham) ie our last two away games. Sure, this is only two games, but I think most people would agree that Mepham adds footballing quality without any loss of defensive solidity.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Bentley
Dalsgaard Mepham Bjelland Barbet
Yennaris Woods Sawyers
Jozefzoon Maupay Watkins
Subs: Daniels, Egan, Clarke, McEachran, Judge, MacLeod, Canos
[If Jozefzoon unavailable, Judge to step up and Marcondes onto the bench]
 

Team vs Fulscum

I think that if Smith is looking to take the game to Fulham (as I believe he ought) he'll pick Mepham but if he's looking to be more cautious, perhaps even looking to mark Mitrovic out of the game, he'll keep Egan in.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Bentley
Dalsgaard Mepham Bjelland Barbet
Yennaris Woods Sawyers
Jozefzoon Maupay Watkins
Subs: Daniels, Egan, Clarke, McEachran, Judge, MacLeod, Canos
[If Jozefzoon unavailable, Judge to step up and Marcondes onto the bench]

I think Dean will pull a few surprises, as well as keep team as fresh as possible given that’s only way will win many games in succession. At back suspect Mepham and Barbet will come back in. I’d prefer Bjelland with Mepham but not sure that will be Dean’s pick.

In midfield if as I think Dean goes for a false 9 with Sawyers as it worked well in reverse fixture then he may be able to accommodate both Woods and McEachran in team with instructions to Woods to play the more dynamic role. The advanced midfield role is anyone’s pick from Yennaris, MacLeod, Mokotjo and Judge. I’d be tempted to gamble and go for MacLeod but think Dean will either go with Mokotjo or Judge, probably the former.

The wide men will be FloJo and Watkins if the former is fit otherwise likely to be Clarke to combat Sessegnon.

Going to be an interesting team selection
 

Team vs Fulscum

Two push on when we have the ball.

We're hardly going to change our formation for one game when we and the B Team have stuck with it all season, especially for a very tricky match.
 

Team vs Fulscum

If you can starve Fulham of possession then can they be beaten? Our 3-1 win earlier suggests so, so maybe the key is to keep the ball as best we can. Does that lead to:

Bentley

Dalsgaard Egan Bjelland Clarke

Woods

McEachran Sawyers

Flo Maupay Watkins

Subs: Daniels, Barbet, Mokotjo, Judge, Canos, Yennaris, Macleod/Ogbene

Why no Mepham? Egan is captain and won't be dropped. Barbet can cover centre half & left back so purely tactical to only have one defender on the bench.
 

Team vs Fulscum

If you can starve Fulham of possession then can they be beaten? Our 3-1 win earlier suggests so, so maybe the key is to keep the ball as best we can. Does that lead to:

Bentley

Dalsgaard Egan Bjelland Clarke

Woods

McEachran Sawyers

Flo Maupay Watkins

Subs: Daniels, Barbet, Mokotjo, Judge, Canos, Yennaris, Macleod/Ogbene

Why no Mepham? Egan is captain and won't be dropped. Barbet can cover centre half & left back so purely tactical to only have one defender on the bench.

Possession in that game was pretty even at 51:49 to us, considering that they were a man down for nearly half the game. It was an odd game all round considering that we lost Vibe after 17 minutes and played without a recognised striker the rest of the game.
 

Team vs Fulscum

If you can starve Fulham of possession then can they be beaten? Our 3-1 win earlier suggests so, so maybe the key is to keep the ball as best we can. Does that lead to:

Bentley

Dalsgaard Egan Bjelland Clarke

Woods

McEachran Sawyers

Flo Maupay Watkins

Subs: Daniels, Barbet, Mokotjo, Judge, Canos, Yennaris, Macleod/Ogbene

Why no Mepham? Egan is captain and won't be dropped. Barbet can cover centre half & left back so purely tactical to only have one defender on the bench.

High energy pressing plus ball retention is required. But that's what we should aim to do in every game.We have a decent depth to our squad and IMO Smith has managed us well to keep fresh legs. Not sure how Fulham are managing their squad but tiredness really is a factor at this stage.Hopefully they are beginning to feel the effects.
 

Team vs Fulscum

We're hardly going to change our formation for one game when we and the B Team have stuck with it all season, especially for a very tricky match.

Sorry but you've lost me. We pull five back into mid when we've lost the ball and push our two wide players forward when we've got possession.
 

Team vs Fulscum

According to DS, FloJo is back training (and so should, AFAIC, start on Saturday), but Judgey's a doubt.
 
Last edited:

Team vs Fulscum

------------------------Bentley
--------------Mepham Egan Bjelland
Dalsgaard---------------------------------Clarke
---------------MacLeod Woods Nico
-------------------------Sawyers
----------Watkins

Three at the back?! I doubt it! :shrug:
 

Team vs Fulscum

Sorry but you've lost me. We pull five back into mid when we've lost the ball and push our two wide players forward when we've got possession.

Sort-of how we play an attacking three and two cover the opposition full backs... but you originally had a midfield four. That is what I commented on.
 

Team vs Fulscum

If you can starve Fulham of possession then can they be beaten? Our 3-1 win earlier suggests so, so maybe the key is to keep the ball as best we can. Does that lead to:

Bentley

Dalsgaard Egan Bjelland Clarke

Woods

McEachran Sawyers

Flo Maupay Watkins

Subs: Daniels, Barbet, Mokotjo, Judge, Canos, Yennaris, Macleod/Ogbene

Why no Mepham? Egan is captain and won't be dropped. Barbet can cover centre half & left back so purely tactical to only have one defender on the bench.

I am really not convinced by your answer to the final question: an emphasis on trying to keep possession simply does not lead logically to no Mepham in the squad. In fact, it leads to him being in the starting line-up. I don't think he will start (and TBH I am not so bothered if he doesn't) but if the sole criterion for selection between our three CBs was: who would be most likely to ensure ball retention? Mepham would be a must start IMO.
 

Team vs Fulscum

IMHO we should go with a high energy team from the off, then introduce subs later when the game is stretched, aiming to dominate the ball from the off. With that in mind:
Bentley
Dalsgaard Mepham Bjelland Barbet
Kamo Woods Sawyers
Flo Maupay Ollie
Subs: Daniels, Clarke, Nico, Canos, Emiliano, McEachran
Very harsh on Egan I admit, but just feel we need to keep the ball, and Mepham could help with their pacy wingers as well. Barbet over Clarke just because I rate him more over there. Wouldn't mind if either Kamo or Nico started.
McEachran to come on 70th to get three assists.
 

Team vs Fulscum

Whatever we end up with in midfield it’s ridiculous that with only four games left we still do not know our preferred midfield. Lack of balance and reliability of individuals is something we must address in the summer.

Smith could agonise over who to pick and consider every scenario, but ultimately he won’t know who will perform on the day or who will let him down. It’s hit or miss with so many of our midfielders and wide players.
 

Team vs Fulscum

This is the first game in a long time where I’ve got no idea what the 11 will be. Lots of big decisions for Smith.
 

Team vs Fulscum

I am really not convinced by your answer to the final question: an emphasis on trying to keep possession simply does not lead logically to no Mepham in the squad. In fact, it leads to him being in the starting line-up. I don't think he will start (and TBH I am not so bothered if he doesn't) but if the sole criterion for selection between our three CBs was: who would be most likely to ensure ball retention? Mepham would be a must start IMO.

Egan will just run forward and pass to Woods or Josh MC.
 
Back
Top Bottom