What we need to work out is what is the realistic target for the 2007/8 season in division 2.
I would suggest that survival at that desperate level of football is the minimum requirement and that we need to ensure that a second succesive relegation does not follow.
Given the situation at Oxford United this season, where 6,000 gates in quite a nice stadium have not guaranteed promotion, Conference football is simply not an option.
Stability and consolidation MUST be achieved before any talk of 1st division or Championship football should be considered.
The club needs to produce a long term target that is both realistic and attainable whilst considering the infrastructure both on and off the field.
That policy should include the setting up of a professionally run academy with facilities to match, a revamp of coaching and scouting policies beyong the conurbation of the Borough of Hounslow. Outwith the obvious urgent 1st XI needs this academy MUST take priority alongside 2nd division survival.
I do not know Fitz (though I understand he did well with the youth set up) but I do know Reevesy and I would strongly recommend that he be kept on next season to help with academy preperation and coaching,
unless a better option can be found.
The whole culture of Brentford Football Club needs to change with much more professionalism, especially in dealing with customers/clients (supporters) and the opinions of supporters should not only be heard but, in relevant cases, adhered to. Let us really become a fan run club and get rid of the ponces, hanger-ons and egotistical maniacs prevalent at GP in recent years!
We should cast our net wide in searching for the right management team; one that can work comfortably with a small budget and one that has great experience of such conditions. No dinosaurs looking for a final payday. Lets consider up and coming foreign coaches but not at the expense of talented local people.
And, as a club, we should be looking to give fresh coaches/other staff the opportunity to work throughout the club as an "investor in people"!
There is one other thing that has been considered by many clubs but they are too afraid to implement. That is semi-professionalism!
There are some superb players around who have the best of both worlds in holding down two professions ie football and whatever.
I am pretty convinced that many clubs want to take this route but fear the wrath of supporters who would cite "no board ambition" as a negative response. This is nonsense!
This club can only go on for so long losing money as it does and, I fear, to cover such losses we will lose any benefit of any eventual sale of GP. We MUST address our finances NOW and in offering young hungry players an opportunity to play at a high level of football, we can, I am certain, unearth some real gems. One other plus of this situation is that it would eradicate this "us and them" situation that has, sadly,developed between supporters and players recently!
True, the best talent will end up at Chelsea, Spurs etc but there are lots of youngsters (to be aided by mature (semi?) professionals) that can compete comfortably in league 2 that I have seen this season who would wear the stripes with pride and endear themselves to a patient supporter base. Because that is what the club would need.
Your support, patience and understanding as the club developed a long term strategy to secure it's football league future.
The club has the potential to succeed and has the potential to be a role model to other clubs.
I would like BFC to be innovative and entertaining and professional in outlook, preperation and design but above all, I want this fine old club to be proud again.
We have a choice of course. We can fumble around blindly in the dark (as we have done for several years now) or we can address this desperate situation in a calm and professional manner.
I am afraid that will take courage and bravery and, sadly, I see little of that at Griffin Park at this moment in time (unless you count those brave enough to watch any more of this dross or sample a burger).
I challenge the club to consider its options for the future; to be bold and to give the long suffering Bees fans a feeling of hope and peace of mind on this blackest of Mondays!
I wait with baited breath!
