Thomas Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Frank

Is this new? Or the same story from a few months ago?
Honestly, haven’t watched yet but the Tweet is from tonight and the video went on YouTube only a few hours ago

Edit - this appears to be new and is the second TF video on their YT channel

This is tonight’s one:

 

Thomas Frank

? I asked because someone I work with tested positive 10 days ago, had and has absolutely no symptoms whatsoever, and yet is still testing positive.
It’s a strange one. One of my daughters tested positive a couple of weeks ago. She felt a bit rough for a day or so but since then she’s been fine. However, she’s still testing positive. Has been told she must return to work (a teacher) regardless as she’s done her 10 days isolation.
 

Thomas Frank

It occurred to me, after the Everton game, that this is perhaps TF’s first lengthy period when things aren’t going particularly well.
Some stats/ achievements from Wiki:
1. Became head coach in 2018, and after formation change, went on to win manager of the month in January. 11th place finish.
2. 2019-2020, after another formation change, an unbeaten June sees up reach play off final.
3. As of October 2020, highest win percentage of any coach after 100 games, and after 21 Games unbeaten, we win the play off final. Prem!

All that in 3 years.

So, what’s my point? Well, in the midst of questions surrounding formational changes, PJ place etc... I just wonder whether TF reluctance to change things and his sheer belief in our formation is down to the fact that this is the first time, over a lengthy period, the plan isn’t working. And it’s a shock to him. For example, he’s been discussing our vulnerability from corners for a long time now, yet I see no real action to rectify this.

Deservedly, he and Brian have received new contracts, the club have shown their support. So, given that, I would like to see a bit more reaction. FA cup away to Everton was the perfect opportunity. I don’t think CN at CB works in Prem, but I would’ve liked to have at least seen something new. I just hope that his unbelievable success up until this point is not his reasoning for just sticking to it.
 

Thomas Frank

It occurred to me, after the Everton game, that this is perhaps TF’s first lengthy period when things aren’t going particularly well.
Some stats/ achievements from Wiki:
1. Became head coach in 2018, and after formation change, went on to win manager of the month in January. 11th place finish.
2. 2019-2020, after another formation change, an unbeaten June sees up reach play off final.
3. As of October 2020, highest win percentage of any coach after 100 games, and after 21 Games unbeaten, we win the play off final. Prem!

All that in 3 years.

So, what’s my point? Well, in the midst of questions surrounding formational changes, PJ place etc... I just wonder whether TF reluctance to change things and his sheer belief in our formation is down to the fact that this is the first time, over a lengthy period, the plan isn’t working. And it’s a shock to him. For example, he’s been discussing our vulnerability from corners for a long time now, yet I see no real action to rectify this.

Deservedly, he and Brian have received new contracts, the club have shown their support. So, given that, I would like to see a bit more reaction. FA cup away to Everton was the perfect opportunity. I don’t think CN at CB works in Prem, but I would’ve liked to have at least seen something new. I just hope that his unbelievable success up until this point is not his reasoning for just sticking to it.
I think the only difference between 2019/20 and this season is we were in a position to flip from a 3-4-3 to a 4-3-3 after 8 lg matches given our options.

It seems utterly mad that we have 6 CBs now but not one senior starter as a potential RB in a 4-3-3. Adding just one player frees ups so many more options across the rest of the team and I'll never get my head around why we didn't resolve this in the last window.
 

Thomas Frank

I do think that Thomas doesn't want to react too quickly to changing a formation, and that overall that is probably a strength... One thing I don't want is a Head Coach who changes everything after every loss, and then does the same again for another one. One thing leads to another, everything goes out of the window and it becomes a spiral decent downwards.

The flip side is that sometimes when a change is needed, he's a bit too patient to change it when it is needed. We've seen a couple of instances of that already (Oct 2019, March 2021). Maybe we are in one now...or maybe it's a defensive problem outside of our formation that's causing the problems. Either way I do trust Frank to be able to come up with these solutions as teams are knowing how to set up against us now.
 

Thomas Frank

Belief and bravery, or suttin ?‍♂️
 

Thomas Frank

We haven't had the players to confidently play 4-3-3. We lack a real qaulity right back. And we are light in options out wide and cover for Henry. Which means playing 433 and the team getting fined tuned into that formation would come crashing down with injuries.

We've been able to some extent be resilient with his 352 formation. Players fitting into until late a organised system.
 

Thomas Frank

We haven't had the players to confidently play 4-3-3. We lack a real qaulity right back. And we are light in options out wide and cover for Henry. Which means playing 433 and the team getting fined tuned into that formation would come crashing down with injuries.

We've been able to some extent be resilient with his 352 formation. Players fitting into until late a organised system.
I see your point about ensuring you have a concrete system. Yet, if you’re not able to even consider alternatives, whether that’s due to a lack of options or refusal to do, surely that’s a concern? I trust TF to get it right though.
 

Thomas Frank

I see your point about ensuring you have a concrete system. Yet, if you’re not able to even consider alternatives, whether that’s due to a lack of options or refusal to do, surely that’s a concern? I trust TF to get it right though.
I don't think he is refusing I do just think he doesn't believe we have the players. We flourished with the BMW in a 433 of his.
 

Thomas Frank

I do think that Thomas doesn't want to react too quickly to changing a formation, and that overall that is probably a strength... One thing I don't want is a Head Coach who changes everything after every loss, and then does the same again for another one. One thing leads to another, everything goes out of the window and it becomes a spiral decent downwards.

The flip side is that sometimes when a change is needed, he's a bit too patient to change it when it is needed. We've seen a couple of instances of that already (Oct 2019, March 2021). Maybe we are in one now...or maybe it's a defensive problem outside of our formation that's causing the problems. Either way I do trust Frank to be able to come up with these solutions as teams are knowing how to set up against us now.
I think TF sees the team as being like a big ship. Changing course is not something done by rapidly twirling the rudder this way and that but by small corrections and taking time to make bigger changes. So he’s not going to strand us like the Ever Given and has previously made big corrections after properly checking the seas.
 

Thomas Frank

I don't think he is refusing I do just think he doesn't believe we have the players. We flourished with the BMW in a 433 of his.
I think this is perfectly true. In the Premier League, we'd be wide open with a 4-3-3, which worked in the Championship, so a 4-at-the-back would need two holding players in front of them and, therefore, some version of 4-2-3-1.

But... he's not going to drop Jansson from CB, so that sort-of automatically selects Pinnock on his left, a dilemma between Ajer and Roerslev RB and IMHO Janelt is not defensively-aware enough for the holding pair. Eriksen/Jensen midfield with Canós and Mbeumo wide of him and Toney up front.

Too much messing about with player's heads and not the right players really.
 

Thomas Frank

I think this is perfectly true. In the Premier League, we'd be wide open with a 4-3-3, which worked in the Championship, so a 4-at-the-back would need two holding players in front of them and, therefore, some version of 4-2-3-1.

But... he's not going to drop Jansson from CB, so that sort-of automatically selects Pinnock on his left, a dilemma between Ajer and Roerslev RB and IMHO Janelt is not defensively-aware enough for the holding pair. Eriksen/Jensen midfield with Canós and Mbeumo wide of him and Toney up front.

Too much messing about with player's heads and not the right players really.
Exactly this. We don't currently have the tools/quality for the PL to play a 433. From his comments and interviews it's clear he likes a high press quite attacking style. Unfortunately we've been forced into a more defensive style but we couldn't come into the PL play a free flowing attacking game we'd get torn apart.

Our style will slowly get braver and more attacking. The quality we add.

He hasn't become a defensive coach just forced hand.
 

Thomas Frank

I think this is perfectly true. In the Premier League, we'd be wide open with a 4-3-3, which worked in the Championship, so a 4-at-the-back would need two holding players in front of them and, therefore, some version of 4-2-3-1.

But... he's not going to drop Jansson from CB, so that sort-of automatically selects Pinnock on his left, a dilemma between Ajer and Roerslev RB and IMHO Janelt is not defensively-aware enough for the holding pair. Eriksen/Jensen midfield with Canós and Mbeumo wide of him and Toney up front.

Too much messing about with player's heads and not the right players really.
Your analysis is very insightful. But “ messing about with players head” is part of being a manager in times of need. I appreciate that TF is having to work with limited resources, but so are others. Leeds have had serious issues at certain points. I’m not suggesting a 4-3-3 works, although many would say we’re wide open with a 5-3-2 right now, but whilst instilling a concrete system in players is crucial, if they can only play in that set up, you are going to run into problems. They might not be the right players of course, TF will know, but it is a potential problematic situation is the team picks itself
 

Thomas Frank

No mention of Thomas Frank’s pre-match press conference on the BBC sport website ‘live’ text feed. Only found it when you go to the specific Brentford page

A bit disrespectful if you ask me that we don’t get a mention on the main page. Considering all other managers were quoted (I think)
 

Thomas Frank

No mention of Thomas Frank’s pre-match press conference on the BBC sport website ‘live’ text feed. Only found it when you go to the specific Brentford page

A bit disrespectful if you ask me that we don’t get a mention on the main page. Considering all other managers were quoted (I think)

Here it is:
 

Thomas Frank

Anyone watch the Sky Saturday Social programme? They just rated managers in the prem into groups A-E. They put our man in E, yet they put Bielsa in B. All Bielsa has done is keep Leeds up one season, other than that their records are the same. Our budget must be lower, and TF has just pulled off a dream signing. Big club bias, and basic ignorance!!
 

Thomas Frank

Anyone watch the Sky Saturday Social programme? They just rated managers in the prem into groups A-E. They put our man in E, yet they put Bielsa in B. All Bielsa has done is keep Leeds up one season, other than that their records are the same. Our budget must be lower, and TF has just pulled off a dream signing. Big club bias, and basic ignorance!!
Do you expect anything better from Sky? You would do a better job imo. From my perspective I don't expect any common sense from Sky, so cannot be dissapointed.
 

Thomas Frank

Leeds fans too precious to hear anything else.
 

Thomas Frank

Don't quite agree with what he said in his MOTD interview, that he thought we deserved to win against Palace.

Neither team really created much, and I think a draw was a fair result.
 

Thomas Frank

I'm not sure I really like his last 10 minutes 'craziest formation' competition he seems to have with himself. Bringing Baptiste on and moving Ghoddos to wing back meant our shape was all over the shop and allowed Palace to dominate injury time when we'd had a good head of steam before that. Not sure why he just didn't bring Roerslev on as a like for like for Canos?
 

Thomas Frank

Don't quite agree with what he said in his MOTD interview, that he thought we deserved to win against Palace.

Neither team really created much, and I think a draw was a fair result.
He said there was not much in it, but IF there had to be a narrow winner then it would have been us, on the basis of creating the better chances across the match. Fair enough IMO and it’s backed by the xG.
 

Thomas Frank

I'm not sure I really like his last 10 minutes 'craziest formation' competition he seems to have with himself. Bringing Baptiste on and moving Ghoddos to wing back meant our shape was all over the shop and allowed Palace to dominate injury time when we'd had a good head of steam before that. Not sure why he just didn't bring Roerslev on as a like for like for Canos?
Great game management to bring Canos off though.
Agree that Roerslev would have been a better option, but it worked out ok.
 

Thomas Frank

Great game management to bring Canos off though.
Agree that Roerslev would have been a better option, but it worked out ok.

The bloke next to me yesterday confidently told me as Canós was taken off yesterday, that Sergi hadn’t been playing RWB during the game as Roerslev was playing there.
 

Thomas Frank

Didn’t deserve to win, didn’t deserve to lose. Just glad to stop the rot. When JDS come on you can see in a few weeks and up to speed he will be flying.

Add Mr Eriksen along side ?
 

Thomas Frank

I'm not sure I really like his last 10 minutes 'craziest formation' competition he seems to have with himself. Bringing Baptiste on and moving Ghoddos to wing back meant our shape was all over the shop and allowed Palace to dominate injury time when we'd had a good head of steam before that. Not sure why he just didn't bring Roerslev on as a like for like for Canos?
He's done that a few times this season, brought someone and changed the formation then less than 10 minutes later he moves said person and changes formation again. I wonder if it is some "lets confuse the opposition" tactic..
 

Thomas Frank

I'm not sure I really like his last 10 minutes 'craziest formation' competition he seems to have with himself. Bringing Baptiste on and moving Ghoddos to wing back meant our shape was all over the shop and allowed Palace to dominate injury time when we'd had a good head of steam before that. Not sure why he just didn't bring Roerslev on as a like for like for Canos?

I am still trying to work out how he felt it was a good idea to play Goode up front against Norwich in the last 10 mins ha. But I think your point is valid but sometimes his tactics in changing formation in the second half has work (Watford at home).
 

Thomas Frank

Thomas is probably a nice fellow. I wouldn't know, as I have never met him.
But he is lucky to have MB as his boss. Anywhere else in the PL and he might well be unemployed by now.
An unpopular opinion on here I know, but retaining our PL status looks pretty grim right now.
I'm afraid loyalty and a nice new contract invariably doesn't generally win football matches. Still, its not my money....
 

Thomas Frank

Thomas is probably a nice fellow. I wouldn't know, as I have never met him.
But he is lucky to have MB as his boss. Anywhere else in the PL and he might well be unemployed by now.
An unpopular opinion on here I know, but retaining our PL status looks pretty grim right now.
I'm afraid loyalty and a nice new contract invariably doesn't generally win football matches. Still, its not my money....
would be lying if I said this hasn't crossed my mind. Yet you do have to factor in the success he's had in such a short period. I think it's because of that success he may believe just doing the same will be enough
 

Thomas Frank

Thomas is probably a nice fellow. I wouldn't know, as I have never met him.
But he is lucky to have MB as his boss. Anywhere else in the PL and he might well be unemployed by now.
An unpopular opinion on here I know, but retaining our PL status looks pretty grim right now.
I'm afraid loyalty and a nice new contract invariably doesn't generally win football matches. Still, its not my money....
What would you have done for 80 mins with 10 men?
?
 

Thomas Frank

How can you pick a left footed attacking midfielder to play right wing back?
If he didnt pick a right footed attacking midfielder to play at left wing back against Arsenal first game of the season, we wouldnt have got the first goal
 

Thomas Frank

Whether people agree or not football is a results business. TF has said many times that if the performances are good results will come, unfortunately this has not been the case. You could argue that he's not been given the players to play at this level and this is why our owner is giving him plenty of slack. Maybe the plan was always to get promoted knowing full well we were very likely to come straight back down and benefit from the parachute payment. We are in a dangerous position with all the teams around us having games in hand. Next Saturday will be difficult, Deano will be bang up for it.
 

Thomas Frank

Please tell me who would of done a better job than him with this squad? The injuries we’ve had? The result today wasn’t his fault. We’re 15th ffs, what are people expecting?

I’ve no doubt he’s the man for the job and we’re very lucky to have him. Yes, we’re are on a bad run but our squad is probably where it should be in the league table.

It’s no disrespect to our recruitment team as I am sure it’s very difficult but signings we have made this season other than Ajer haven’t had a massive impact.
I feel we have been naive in not bringing more quality in but I am sure we’ve tried but ultimately having to play Canos or Roerslev at RWB actually makes us weaker than last season in that position. I do think if we do go down we might then see an interview from Giles saying he didn’t quite get it right. Although I didn’t expect him to say that at the end of January. Anyway there’s still a gap and a lot of games to play. Hopefully Frank can keep us up
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom