Thomas Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Frank

Who is going to take charge of the team today now that he is at leicester?? Brian? Or has agreed personal terms as well ?
 

Thomas Frank

Thomas Frank

‘From our side of the Elephant’ ... that’s a new one :)
My guess is that it’s a translation of something more common in Danish idiom. A bit like saying in English, for example, “pull your socks up” or “get your skates on”. If you were to translate either of these, in context, into another language, your audience would wonder what the hell you were talking about. Help, Danish Bees!
 

Thomas Frank

Surely the elephant is blocking his view so he is saying from brentford's perspective or how he sees the situation.
 

Thomas Frank

Thomas Frank

My guess is that it's from the old Asian fable Blind Men And The Elephant but agree it seems a bit of a strange expression.

If this is so it perhaps deserves an outing in this new thread for Great Anologies

I've just googled "Blind men and the elephant" and it throws up millions of results so I think it's a very well known story and many books and even a poem and song have been written about it. I think Thomas would probably know the story.

I can't remember where I first heard it but I am a person who has a mind full of too much rubbish.

For those who didn't read the rather long wikipedia entry it basically says a blind man will have a different opinion of an elephant depending on what part of it he is given to touch. Of course this is a metaphor for ones view of the world in general.
 

Thomas Frank

Thomas Frank

Thomas has a gazillion points in the bank, but he needs to have a long hard look in the mirror after that team selection. How can you set up away to a top 10 team without a defensive midfielder? Seriously… how? I’ll bet the post-match interviewer fails to ask that rather simple question ?
 

Thomas Frank

Thomas has a gazillion points in the bank, but he needs to have a long hard look in the mirror after that team selection. How can you set up away to a top 10 team without a defensive midfielder? Seriously… how? I’ll bet the post-match interviewer fails to ask that rather simple question ?
Spot on. Janelt has to start in that position whilst Norgaard is out.
 

Thomas Frank

It's started already on Facebook!

"Frank's tactics, Out! says a B Rochie

?
 

Thomas Frank

Spot on. Janelt has to start in that position whilst Norgaard is out.
Thing is, Janelt has been well out of form. The other alternative (Onyeka) never starts well, runs around a lot but often loses the ball/gives it away. There is no-one else. However, there's at least 4 on the GPG who would put Onyeka straight in, thereby doubling his GPG MoM nominations.
 

Thomas Frank

Have you seen the previous two games? Janelt has been so below par I can understand why he was left out.
I watched the last two games and yes he has been below par but that midfield today looked so lightweight. Also he made a big difference at the start of the second half.
 

Thomas Frank

I watched the last two games and yes he has been below par but that midfield today looked so lightweight. Also he made a big difference at the start of the second half.
Agreed. But all I'm saying is that I can see why he was left out of the starting line-up. It's a real shame that Onyeka is nowhere near good enough as another option.
 

Thomas Frank

You can't bake a nice cake if you don't have the right ingredients
Sadly, TF mught need to do a good shop in Tesco next January...
 

Thomas Frank

You can't bake a nice cake if you don't have the right ingredients
Sadly, TF mught need to do a good shop in Tesco next January...
But we very rarely buy in January as it’s the prices so I can’t see this being any different and we do need players but it’s very difficult
 

Thomas Frank

You can't bake a nice cake if you don't have the right ingredients
Sadly, TF mught need to do a good shop in Tesco next January...
Tesco where we buy our crap clothes no thanks!!!

it’s up market or nothing that is required
 

Thomas Frank

But we very rarely buy in January as it’s the prices so I can’t see this being any different and we do need players but it’s very difficult
We’ve bought a few in past Januarys and can see us doing the same. Unless we are regarded by the club as absolutely safe. I’m not sure this season we will be.
 

Thomas Frank

We’ve bought a few in past Januarys and can see us doing the same. Unless we are regarded by the club as absolutely safe. I’m not sure this season we will be.
There are a few areas we failed to address in the summer window (not through lack of trying I’m sure) that we’ll want to look at, and perhaps a couple of additional areas we thought we might get by in. V difficult window though to bring in the level we need
 

Thomas Frank

Would have been interested to hear his thoughts in his post match interviews why he went with that midfield trio as he did. As I said in another thread not sure anyone Bees fans would have chosen that starting midfield line up.
 

Thomas Frank

The problem is that Janelt has been distinctly ordinary this season and since Norgaard’s injury our only consistent midfielder has been Jensen. Nobody has stepped up to provide adequate and consistent play to allow Jensen to do anything other than try to be CDM, attacking playmaker and our most effective high presser all at once. The reality is we’ve got to play 2 others plus subs each game and hope they hit form. We all love JDS and know TF hates subbing before 60mins as he’s mindful of everyone’s FPL picks but taking him off at HT was the right thing to do and very telling. That ultimately his stinker of a game was not the worst performance of a Bee this afternoon gives a feel for what TF could have done about it all. Not much.

Today was mainly about some (a full season’s worth) deeply terrible errors by two of our best and most consistent players.
 

Thomas Frank

TF Hickeys best performance was with Roserlev behind him, Rashford was non existent ?
 

Thomas Frank

The problem is that Janelt has been distinctly ordinary this season and since Norgaard’s injury our only consistent midfielder has been Jensen. Nobody has stepped up to provide adequate and consistent play to allow Jensen to do anything other than try to be CDM, attacking playmaker and our most effective high presser all at once. The reality is we’ve got to play 2 others plus subs each game and hope they hit form. We all love JDS and know TF hates subbing before 60mins as he’s mindful of everyone’s FPL picks but taking him off at HT was the right thing to do and very telling. That ultimately his stinker of a game was not the worst performance of a Bee this afternoon gives a feel for what TF could have done about it all. Not much.

Today was mainly about some (a full season’s worth) deeply terrible errors by two of our best and most consistent players.
I agree with most of this but the selection of a woefully out of form JDS was akin to playing with ten men & very puzzling in this match. Poor in possession & weak defensively - lost Bruno for the first goal. Brian also looked woefully out of sorts & could have been hooked earlier.

FTT or Vitaly had to be the pick even though I agree neither have demanded a starting berth. I didn't understand the Mee sub either unless he had a knock. Ethan had acquitted himself creditably in his first appearance of the season but surely 70 mins was enough as tiredness had to be a factor with the fourth & fifth goals.

Agree 100% TF can't be held accountable for some of our most reliable players making basic errors but don't think a few of his decisions helped today & I say this as a complete Frankophile.
 

Thomas Frank

Thomas has a gazillion points in the bank, but he needs to have a long hard look in the mirror after that team selection. How can you set up away to a top 10 team without a defensive midfielder? Seriously… how? I’ll bet the post-match interviewer fails to ask that rather simple question ?
Perhaps Thomas’ big mistake was not seeking your informed opinion before today’s game.
 

Thomas Frank

Thomas gets it right more often than he gets in wrong. I'm sure we will come back against Brighton. Starting without a defensive midfielder was suicide though hopefully we don't make that mistake again. Yes Vitaly hasn't been his best but that doesn't mean you can just play no defensive midfielder. If a Goalkeeper wasn't on form and you no alternative you wouldn't put Rico in goal.
 

Thomas Frank

.....motd post match interview.... reminiscent of Mork and Mindy...bit odd tbf.
 

Thomas Frank

I agree with most of this but the selection of a woefully out of form JDS was akin to playing with ten men & very puzzling in this match. Poor in possession & weak defensively - lost Bruno for the first goal. Brian also looked woefully out of sorts & could have been hooked earlier.

FTT or Vitaly had to be the pick even though I agree neither have demanded a starting berth. I didn't understand the Mee sub either unless he had a knock. Ethan had acquitted himself creditably in his first appearance of the season but surely 70 mins was enough as tiredness had to be a factor with the fourth & fifth goals.

Agree 100% TF can't be held accountable for some of our most reliable players making basic errors but don't think a few of his decisions helped today & I say this as a complete Frankophile.
Balders Bee, wise words and think some players let Thomas down today and Thomas will reflect and probably know that players he thought would step up didn’t?
Josh hasn’t shown me anything this season to suggest that he is ready to play in a midfield three away from home, let alone without Norgaard playing and Ethan was never ready for 90 minutes in the Prem.
Newcastle weren’t special, Guimares was very good but we allowed him space and time that other teams allowed CE last season.

I just hope Thomas doesn’t accept that we are lucky to be here and gets into them on Monday and drills in that we don’t show too much respect to teams let alone roll over and accept they are better than us or it will be a horrible season.
 

Thomas Frank

I know TF will always focus on performances rather than points and league position. Posters have pointed to us being mid table and only losing 3. I'm sure he's aware though, as am I, that we've had a relatively kind fixture list so far, so it's not as good a points total as one might think.

Leicester, Leeds, Palace, Everton, Bournemouth, Fulham all played in 9 games, with only one win from there. Only the Man U game was a really good performance and it was the best time to play them. We were shaky against Leeds until the 4th went in.

If performances don't improve, it could be X-rated stuff when we play the top 6 teams. They need a rocket after yesterday, because I didn't see much bravery.
 

Thomas Frank

But we very rarely buy in January as it’s the prices so I can’t see this being any different and we do need players but it’s very difficult

There's a bloke called Eriksen playing for Man U who might be interested in a loan move in January. It worked once before, I seem to recall.....
 

Thomas Frank

I agree with most of this but the selection of a woefully out of form JDS was akin to playing with ten men & very puzzling in this match. Poor in possession & weak defensively - lost Bruno for the first goal. Brian also looked woefully out of sorts & could have been hooked earlier.

FTT or Vitaly had to be the pick even though I agree neither have demanded a starting berth. I didn't understand the Mee sub either unless he had a knock. Ethan had acquitted himself creditably in his first appearance of the season but surely 70 mins was enough as tiredness had to be a factor with the fourth & fifth goals.

Agree 100% TF can't be held accountable for some of our most reliable players making basic errors but don't think a few of his decisions helped today & I say this as a complete Frankophile.
I was just about to post exactly this.
 

Thomas Frank

I just hope Thomas doesn’t accept that we are lucky to be here and gets into them on Monday and drills in that we don’t show too much respect to teams let alone roll over and accept they are better than us or it will be a horrible season.
Action at training ground today - so getting into them today I think !
 

Thomas Frank

Got his tactics very wrong yesterday
Howe got his tactics spot on yesterday. Just like their game at Fulham, they were playing against 10 men in the first half… and it went downhill for us from there. Frank got his selection very wrong yesterday but too many players out of form isn’t helping.
 

Thomas Frank

Howe got his tactics spot on yesterday. Just like their game at Fulham, they were playing against 10 men in the first half… and it went downhill for us from there. Frank got his selection very wrong yesterday but too many players out of form isn’t helping.
To be fair TF can only pick the players he has at his disposal and his choices backfired. There are a few in the squad that are possibly not quite up to PL standard. We are going to struggle until we get CN back but that still doesn't really change the lack of firepower up front ?
 

Thomas Frank

Was surprised TF’s tactics didn’t include high pressing them more. Pope isn’t great with his feet so think we could have done more press him into a mistake, go long or put it out of play like he did a couple of times. I guess playing 3 at the back and only 2 up front limited that as an option.
 

Thomas Frank

Was surprised TF’s tactics didn’t include high pressing them more. Pope isn’t great with his feet so think we could have done more press him into a mistake, go long or put it out of play like he did a couple of times. I guess playing 3 at the back and only 2 up front limited that as an option.
Yes Pope didn't look comfortable. Agreed with 3 at the back & two up top it does limit a high press. Thought Ivan did press to some effect early on but Bryan not so much. Poor JDS didn't seem to know who he was picking up or when he was pressing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom