Thomas Hitzlsperger

Thomas Hitzlsperger

So you say plenty but can name 5 with the help of google!! Yes hadn't realised how rife it has been. Can you google how many pro footballers there have been over say last 15 years just to confirm 5 is indeed plenty.

Why don't you read the post I was quoting and look at the context mate? He was saying this was a step forward for football/LGBT but considering it has happened at least 5 times before, it isn't really is it? So in context it is plenty really.

Also I apologise that I can't name you 5 gay ex footballers off the top of my head lol. 'Plenty' of footballers have been found guilty of match fixing in Italy, probably couldn't name you one.

:wave:
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

I don't get the obsession with this need for footballers to come out. Playing football is their job and their sexual orientation is irrelevent, same as when any of us go into work. From the 20 odd years I have been going to football there is not a massive problem with homophobia and certainly not a problem that would be solved by players coming out.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Thomas Hitzlsperger has come out, admitting that he used to play for West Ham.

Brave.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

I don't get the obsession with this need for footballers to come out. Playing football is their job and their sexual orientation is irrelevent, same as when any of us go into work. From the 20 odd years I have been going to football there is not a massive problem with homophobia and certainly not a problem that would be solved by players coming out.

Agree!
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Why this big thing about coming out. Whatever your environment just get on and live your life. Eventually, your colleagues, friends, etc may become aware of your sexual orientation and, in the majority of cases, take the "so what?" view. I don't believe that none of the team mates of all gay footballers are unaware so, presumably, they are just getting on with their lives. Once again, the media have no doubt got hacks on the trail of likely suspects and are just waiting to pounce like the vultures many of them are.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Why this big thing about coming out. Whatever your environment just get on and live your life. Eventually, your colleagues, friends, etc may become aware of your sexual orientation and, in the majority of cases, take the "so what?" view. I don't believe that none of the team mates of all gay footballers are unaware so, presumably, they are just getting on with their lives. Once again, the media have no doubt got hacks on the trail of likely suspects and are just waiting to pounce like the vultures many of them are.

That's a good point. We had a lad in our cricket team who "came out" during a team night out. The reaction from the rest of of us was pretty much "yeah, so what" and "we kind of assumed you were but it wasn't any of our business". I bet that would be the same for most/all other teams whether professional or not.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Yeah, and those good lads at the New Den, for example, wouldn't make anything of it either.

I would imagine there are players whose team mates know they are gay. It will be a brave fella who lets the general public know though and good luck to them when they do.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

I think it'd be a good move for Hitzlsperger to be invited onto MOTD2, or a similar progamme, to provide analysis. It doesn't seem right that gay ex-footballers are only called upon by the football media to talk about football's "problem" with homosexuality, rather than the game itself. He speaks better English than most of the England team as well. John Amaechi does basketball punditry and co-commentary if I remember right?
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

I think it'd be a good move for Hitzlsperger to be invited onto MOTD2, or a similar progamme, to provide analysis. It doesn't seem right that gay ex-footballers are only called upon by the football media to talk about football's "problem" with homosexuality, rather than the game itself. He speaks better English than most of the England team as well. John Amaechi does basketball punditry and co-commentary if I remember right?

Isn't that in danger of patronising gay players ?
What would you have them offer expert analysis on - players grooming or favourite kits ?
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Isn't that in danger of patronising gay players ?
What would you have them offer expert analysis on - players grooming or favourite kits ?

Well you'd have to wait for the dust to settle before inviting him on, obviously. I'd have him talk about the football, it's you insinuating the other subjects.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Isn't that in danger of patronising gay players ?
What would you have them offer expert analysis on - players grooming or favourite kits ?

I have always been a bit of a football kit anorak*... ah nah.

*I think MonkeyMagic should have the 'last word' on this!
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Well you'd have to wait for the dust to settle before inviting him on, obviously. I'd have him talk about the football, it's you insinuating the other subjects.

All I'm saying is how can you ask for a gay perspective on the game ? In essence that is what you're doing if that's the reason he's on the programme.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Surely amongst all this there is an inherent paradox: in the media publicising and treating his coming out as a unique event, the process of revealing your sexuality is not being normalised- rather something that need be marvelled at
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

I don't get the obsession with this need for footballers to come out. Playing football is their job and their sexual orientation is irrelevent, same as when any of us go into work. From the 20 odd years I have been going to football there is not a massive problem with homophobia and certainly not a problem that would be solved by players coming out.

I think I'm stating the obvious, but just in case.......

The point is not that he (or others) come out after they retire, it's that they feel that they need to hide this basic fact while they are playing due to prejudice, both from their fellow players, and fans, their own fans and oppo fans. Hetro guys don't have to live this double standard, they can parade their trophy wives / girlfriends without a second thought. Gay people can't.

That's the difference. Though I hope you knew that and were just being obtuse?
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger


All lovely sentiments but I bet you any money that footballers being the lads they are would all be looking at him in the showers to see if he's checking anyone out and perhaps feeling ever so slightly uncomfortable.
And probably within reason - After all for him it would be the equivalent of us taking a shower with a dozen slim fit ladies.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

All lovely sentiments but I bet you any money that footballers being the lads they are would all be looking at him in the showers to see if he's checking anyone out and perhaps feeling ever so slightly uncomfortable.
And probably within reason - After all for him it would be the equivalent of us taking a shower with a dozen slim fit ladies.
Do you ever go to your local gym, or swimming pool? Maybe play for a football team yourself?

How confident are you that your fellow participants are exclusively Heterosexual when you go for a shower afterwards?

P.S. Check out this fella's Dad ;)

alan-small.JPG
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Do you ever go to your local gym, or swimming pool? Maybe play for a football team yourself?

How confident are you that your fellow participants are exclusively Heterosexual when you go for a shower afterwards?

P.S. Check out this fella's Dad ;)

alan-small.JPG

I got chatted up in the gym sauna by an outrageously camp black chap who asked me for my cock size and then proceeded to rip my towel off.
So I have experience in this field. Unfortunately.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

i remeber year again when justin came out he played at brentford and we sung a tune to robin hood ...as ive grown up and think back to that day ...i really hate myself for singing that ..and when brighton came to us ..town full of ...,,,NOT NICE but it happened and if players came out i can see why they dont ...your have to be a brave soul to open your self up for such stick
 
Last edited:

Thomas Hitzlsperger

I got chatted up in the gym sauna by an outrageously camp black chap who asked me for my cock size and then proceeded to rip my towel off.
So I have experience in this field. Unfortunately.
did you report this to the police?
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Still, it could have been worse - I know a chap who entered a public toilet and as he proceeded to pee in the urinal he noticed that the bloke next to him was masturbating - and before he knew it this guy all of a sudden jizzes over his hand.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Could have been even worse... I know a girl who was raped by a heterosexual... Relevant?
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

I think maybe we need someone to post that back to topic smilie
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

You're right 97... Thought the article was interesting. I still think nearly all players would be fine with a gay team mate and even opponent. It is some fans who would abuse the situation.
 

Thomas Hitzlsperger

You're right 97... Thought the article was interesting. I still think nearly all players would be fine with a gay team mate and even opponent. It is some fans who would abuse the situation.

If they weren't okay with it I'd hope they'd be grassed up and sacked without pay!
 
Back
Top Bottom