Ticket Price Protest

Would you join the protest?

  • Yes

    Votes: 21 9.4%
  • No

    Votes: 190 84.8%
  • Undecided

    Votes: 13 5.8%

  • Total voters
    224
  • Poll closed .

Mikey Bee

Not entirely serious
Joined
12 Apr 2000
Messages
5,614
Reaction score
6,154
Location
Ruislip

Ticket Price Protest

I made my position clear on another thread about the recent increases to ticket prices.

Clubs and media talked a lot about "football without fans means nothing" during Covid when there were no crowds but they seem to have forgotten that since crowds returned and it appears to have been replaced with "football without fans, who can afford to pay, means nothing".

What I'm proposing is that on 30 minutes in our match against United that we all turn our backs on the pitch for 60 seconds.

£30 should be maximum price for general admission tickets for category B fixtures as a minimum.
 

Ticket Price Protest

I made my position clear on another thread about the recent increases to ticket prices.

Clubs and media talked a lot about "football without fans means nothing" during Covid when there were no crowds but they seem to have forgotten that since crowds returned and it appears to have been replaced with "football without fans, who can afford to pay, means nothing".

What I'm proposing is that on 30 minutes in our match against United that we all turn our backs on the pitch for 60 seconds.

£30 should be maximum price for general admission tickets for category B fixtures as a minimum.

It's a difficult one as I understand feelings on the price increase and on balance do agree it's harsh this summer, of all summers, when a very difficult autumn is ahead for many.

However turning our backs, live on TV is effectively turning our backs on the board and everyone linked with making non football decisions at the club at least.

I don't know how many people were involved in signing off the decisions but I presume it would be more than one person and certainly at executive board level.

I think this is something we can discuss through our fan groups and keep it within the Brentford family as much as possible. We don't need the football world to conclude fans and board are against each other; a protest would be read as that.

So for me I wouldn't agree with the protest and would be happy for fan groups to campaign and communicate fans feelings on it.
 

Ticket Price Protest

It's a difficult one as I understand feelings on the price increase and on balance do agree it's harsh this summer, of all summers, when a very difficult autumn is ahead for many.

However turning our backs, live on TV is effectively turning our backs on the board and everyone linked with making non football decisions at the club at least.

I don't know how many people were involved in signing off the decisions but I presume it would be more than one person and certainly at executive board level.

I think this is something we can discuss through our fan groups and keep it within the Brentford family as much as possible. We don't need the football world to conclude fans and board are against each other. So for me I wouldn't agree with the protest.

I appreciate you for responding, Shamrock Bee, but I think that turning our back on live TV is exactly what we need to do.

If we work with BIAS, GPG, Beesotted and their associated networks, we can make it clear as to what we're saying. This isn't just about us. It's about football as a whole.
 

Ticket Price Protest

I think we are "competitively" priced and one of the better/cheaper options in the PL. Unfortunately there are plenty of things that could/should be cheaper in life but we can't protest agasint it all.

I think the club have done a okay job. The increase isn't "massive" unlike some others. I'm sure there are clubs in the Championship which are more expensive than us.

And of course the increase will affect everyone differently personal circumstances will mean the increase affects others more than others.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Sadly, basic economics says that if matches are selling out every week, prices are - if anything - too low.
I would argue this too. We are fairly cheap in comparison I guess it feels more as we are used to fair prices. Welcome to the PL.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Sadly, basic economics says that if matches are selling out every week, prices are - if anything - too low.
It’s a no from me prices will be what the market is prepared to pay.

That's how you end up with plastic fans and sterile atmospheres. It should not be what the market is prepared to pay; but what regular football fans can afford to pay that determines prices. That's surely where organisations such as BIAS come into the picture.
 

Ticket Price Protest

A protest needs way more than turning our backs for a minute. Those in charge won't care in the slightest about that. They'll have our money and a full stadium. We saw at Old Trafford what a weak/non protest looks like. A real protest would be not turning up (league game), protesting outside the stadium, an organised boycott of a cup game with no one buying tickets, etc.

I think the ticket price increase is poor from the club. But I don't think it's protest worthy.
 

Ticket Price Protest

I've had a few beers so forgive me.

You want us to turn our back on Matthew Benham and our players. Then..... Can't find the relevant cartoon thingy
Re-read my post in the morning then come back to me where I mention turning our backs on MB.
 

Ticket Price Protest

That's how you end up with plastic fans and sterile atmospheres. It should not be what the market is prepared to pay; but what regular football fans can afford to pay that determines prices. That's surely where organisations such as BIAS come into the picture.
You don’t think we have gone plastic over the last year? What’s a regular football fan??
 

Ticket Price Protest

I find it astonishing that 69% of respondents wouldn't make a token gesture of turning their back on the match in support of fans being fleeced.

I couldn't attend games for a number of years because of, amongst other reasons, money. I'm now lucky enough to be able to afford a season ticket. So many others are not.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Turning your back is a very symbolic gesture.

Absolutely not.
Agree..

sometimes it’s nice to have the great unwashed priced out… why else would people decide to purchase higher priced tickets on half way or the dug out
 

Ticket Price Protest

I find it astonishing that 69% of respondents wouldn't make a token gesture of turning their back on the match in support of fans being fleeced.

I couldn't attend games for a number of years because of, amongst other reasons, money. I'm now lucky enough to be able to afford a season ticket. So many others are not.
I don’t consider myself being fleeced. I think the club has kept prices low for many years so no, I won’t protest. Perhaps some of you “protesters” who smoke or have Sky might consider a “protest” to the relevant company?
 

Ticket Price Protest

You don’t think we have gone plastic over the last year?

Not particularly, no - but if you think we have how will letting market forces rip help?

What’s a regular football fan??

Sure, its a pretty nebulous concept, but as mentioned organisations like Bias exist to help determine how much longstanding fans of the club can afford.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Not particularly, no - but if you think we have how will letting market forces rip help?



Sure, its a pretty nebulous concept, but as mentioned organisations like Bias exist to help determine how much longstanding fans of the club can afford.
Personally ticket prices are the least of a fans problems in relation to matchday costs. Public transport, booze, food,gambling, parking it’s all going through the roof. Why get your knickers in a twist over 5 quid extra on a ticket when a burger cost a tenner. Most of those in the cheap seats always seem drugged and smashed out of their minds perhaps addiction services would be a better place for bias to assist fans improve their matchday experience and reduce costs
 

Ticket Price Protest

If we were doing Fulham's announced prices, then absolutely yes. For the prices that we are doing...no. People should write in or complain by all means, fan groups should speak to them, but it's not a protest or boycott situation IMO. A bad move at a hard time for people, but not sure it's far enough at all for an organised protest.

Also...I can't be arsed turning around at a game and towards the person behind me, who is confused as to why I've turned to stare at them.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Also...I can't be arsed turning around at a game and towards the person behind me, who is confused as to why I've turned to stare at them.
The last mass brentford fan turnaround I experienced was at Barnet where the back rows decided Cocks in hand to relieve themselves on half time whistle rather than bothering to line up for the bogs. Streams of piss running down the stand not pleasant but a necessary fan action
 

Ticket Price Protest

I find it astonishing that 69% of respondents wouldn't make a token gesture of turning their back on the match in support of fans being fleeced.

I couldn't attend games for a number of years because of, amongst other reasons, money. I'm now lucky enough to be able to afford a season ticket. So many others are not.

I find it astonishing that you think a group of fans turning their backs for few seconds will have any impact whatsoever.
 

Ticket Price Protest

I find it astonishing that you think a group of fans turning their backs for few seconds will have any impact whatsoever.
If it does it’s going to have a major impact on current communist theory
 

Ticket Price Protest

Not for me. This would be a huge step - when fans do this it's usually at the point of a breakdown between the leadership at a club and the fans. We're nowhere near that. We have plenty of avenues to raise concerns and that has been and is being done.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Maximum pressure needs to be applied to keep prices as low as possible. BIAS are meeting with the club again next week with Bees United on admission prices for next season.

What we deem affordable now may not be the case in three years time.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Hi Mikey Bee,

Whilst i agree that the Pay on the day matchday prices should be better, a succesful campaign for change needs to be built and the bigger picture needs to be considered,

Firstly it must be acknowledged that compared to others, especially Fulham, Brentfords match day pricing compares very favourably.

Secondly, mot season ticket holders are probably very happy with the cost of the package and are unlikely to join in.

Any campaign needs to be targeted and made up of small gains...

The rise in Junior and OAP prices needs to be addressed.

The cost of membership is extortionate. It needs to be high to deter away fans but should either, roll over (i.e so it becomes a one off payment), offer a discount on matchday pricing (it alwasys used to be cheaper for members).

Carnet tickets and ticket bundles could be introduced for those attending two home games in a week or month.

Supporters have until Decembèr to make thier wish list as the prices for next Season will probably be signed off in the January board meeting.

Personally in December, I would like to see BIAS submitting thier pricing proposals for next Season in with the support of BU.

I would urge you and other non Season Ticket holders to get involved with BIAS, who could even set up a sub committee to take a lead on the issue.
 

Ticket Price Protest

The price of a single football ticket is ridiculous at a number of football clubs. I'm not sure we fall into that category. YET.

If I continue to see an increase on our prices, especially season tickets, I will lose major respect for this club. Premier League and TV money is absolutely huge, therefore the small amount of change us fans bring is negligible.

My feeling would be "just another football club fleecing it fans"

Let's not get there
 

Ticket Price Protest

Brentford have been magical on the TV is the last year, the brand had exploded, Neville and Cara love coming here and dancing, we are developing a cult following.

I don’t want to turn on the club live on TV in the premier league when we are playing against the biggest team in the world and possibly the greatest player to ever live in Ronaldo. A moment we should be pinching ourselves about not turning our back on, especially turning our back to Mathew Benham.

My ST works out at £35 a game combined for me and my son to sit on the half way line with an amazing view to watch premier league football and the worlds greatest players ever week,

I can’t protest against this, sorry, but I do understand non ST holders may not be as happy.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Personally, I would pay £50 per match ticket, but as a member I only manage to get a few a season, so it's an extra treat for me.
So I wouldn't complain at prices below that.
 

Ticket Price Protest

That's how you end up with plastic fans and sterile atmospheres. It should not be what the market is prepared to pay; but what regular football fans can afford to pay that determines prices. That's surely where organisations such as BIAS come into the picture.
I do agree with this; I hadn't been to Anfield since the 1989 Cup Game; when we went in January I was really surprised that there was exactly that 'a sterile atmosphere', not at all what I had been expecting.
 

Ticket Price Protest

For info, the River Rats in SW6 are charging £30-£100 for their home game against Liverpool. I guess they have to pay for the new riverside stand somehow!
 

Ticket Price Protest

Have a look at the Fulham match day prices on another thread

And then decide to close this one

From 65 to 100 quid !!!
The price Fulham charge their fans is irrelevant to the affordability of BFC tickets for BFC fans.

If we’re complacent enough not to be concerned because other clubs charge more than we do then we’re setting ourselves up for further increases that will price out genuine Bees fans in the future.
 

Ticket Price Protest

The best protest is just not paying those prices
 

Ticket Price Protest

The increase is wrong and we need this to be understood through BIAS.
However, this mistake is in the context of the club getting most things mostly right, so matchday protests would be disproportionate and ineffective.
I would also listen to BIAS as to how to ratchet up the pressure on the club on this issue as and when needed.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Firstly I accept we are living in difficult times with increases on essential items hitting families below the belt.
Where I have a problem is this: during covid the club gave the option to freeze our season tickets and provide iFollow. Season ticket prices were kept at the same level for a first season and indeed not significantly different for this season. I understand the feeling for admission prices on a day to day prices, and get that not everyone can afford it or access buying a season ticket to save money .
One has to consider that last season much of our match day income was utilised in the prevous season so match day income would have suffered, from frozen season ticket sales, and in turn the club rewarded our loyalty.
Whilst I accept the increases are harsh for some supporters we are still incredibly competitive in our pricing.
finanancially the club remains frugal, ie by not buying success last season by blowing the entire Sky pot on new signings. ( think Fulham) We have to be innovative and strike a balance between sustainability and staying in the EPL Throughout these pages you will read about prospective new signings, they all cost money.
Turning our backs on a match day is not the way forward, and is somewhat ‘copycat’ we’re Brentford we don’t need to follow the herd, let’s channel these discussions through BIAS and BU.
We have to compete at this level which is damned hard and I feel that such action would be offensive in particular towards Matthew Benham.
Sadly if we went belly up financially again the bucket collections would not save us…..
 
Last edited:

Ticket Price Protest

Personally, I would pay £50 per match ticket, but as a member I only manage to get a few a season, so it's an extra treat for me.
So I wouldn't complain at prices below that.
That translates as I’m alright Jack. Think of fans that can’t afford £50.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Maximum pressure needs to be applied to keep prices as low as possible. BIAS are meeting with the club again next week with Bees United on admission prices for next season.

What we deem affordable now may not be the case in three years time.
Well done BIAS and BU. This (long term) forward planning with the club is exactly what is needed. Great that you are doing this now.

Is “next season” 2023/24? Or is this a CE-style take-2 renegotiation for 2022/23?
 

Ticket Price Protest

The best protest is just not paying those prices
I'm in the "no protest" camp, but plenty of others ("tourists".....??.....) will pay those prices, and higher.......

They wouldn't if we were back in The Championship though.....
 

Ticket Price Protest

Well done BIAS and BU. This (long term) forward planning with the club is exactly what is needed. Great that you are doing this now.

Is “next season” 2023/24? Or is this a CE-style take-2 renegotiation for 2022/23?
This coming season.
 

Ticket Price Protest

The last mass brentford fan turnaround I experienced was at Barnet where the back rows decided Cocks in hand to relieve themselves on half time whistle rather than bothering to line up for the bogs. Streams of piss running down the stand not pleasant but a necessary fan action
Really. And I’d bet you would love away fans doing that at our lovely new BCS. My wife attended Barnet away, and was so disgusted by Bees fan conduct that she’s never attended a match since. So thank you, great job.
 

Ticket Price Protest

let’s channel these discussions through BIAS and BU.
We have to compete at this level which is damned hard and I feel that such action would be offensive in particular towards Matthew Benham.
Spot on. I do think it was unreasonable to raise the match day prices in the current climate. Luckily I’m a season ticket holder now, but if I was a member I’d never disrespect Lord Benham and turn my back like that. I would just buy less tickets and hope the club listen to fans groups. Other then some individual bits of 1-1 customer service where staff can shine, I think as a machine we are poorly run off the pitch for fans and it is a worry. Joined BIAS a while ago. Fingers crossed they can get through to the club.
 

Ticket Price Protest

That translates as I’m alright Jack. Think of fans that can’t afford £50.
You could say that about any amount!
There will be some that couldn't afford last season's price's.
We all have a personal ceiling price we'd be willing to pay, personally I wouldn't buy a seat license, I could afford one, but couldn't justify the expense, I don't get how that makes me anymore " I'm alright jack"
 

Ticket Price Protest

The club shouldn’t have put match by match tickets up by £5 now when many are feeling the pinch and when it is getting huge amounts of PL money that make ticket revenue a drop in the ocean. It might be justifiable in that its own expenses on the operations side will have gone up due to rising prices (eg stadium staff wages, energy etc) and wants not to put football revenue in to cover it. It might be justifiable on the basis of demand and comparability with other clubs locally even at a lower level.

But the club hasn’t made any of those arguments publicly. The worst thing is those increases were slipped in alongside a complex and contentious redesign of the process for buying away tickets which was done suitably poorly that it had to follow it up with a more detailed rationale (albeit one which thinking about it a few on here did posit before the club confirmed). The problem is the club really didn’t treat its consultation with BIAS/BU fairly so it looked like the changes were agreed by our representatives when in fact the club deviated from what the fan representations were and didn’t say they’d done that.

For me we are a way off protesting at matches because the thing to do would be for BIAS/BU to argue that relationship point more and better to the right people. If after that the conclusion is that relationship is broken or not taken seriously then maybe we need more direct action. We need more to get involved in BIAS/BU (and maybe now to move to a single organisation having standing to represent fans).

Also, protests can only work if we’re willing to follow through. The reality is right now the majority of fans in the ground are paying £23 a game in the PL. Most of them were paying more to stand on Ealing Road in the Championship as they were neither STs nor members back then and would rarely buy tickets in advance. Even with sympathy for fellow Bees a lot more would be needed to translate that sympathy into solidarity that would have large numbers make them take on the club at matches when we are absolutely loving what the club has made itself into on the pitch. I hope we never have to get to that point.
 

Ticket Price Protest

Really. And I’d bet you would love away fans doing that at our lovely new BCS. My wife attended Barnet away, and was so disgusted by Bees fan conduct that she’s never attended a match since. So thank you, great job.
Did I say was part of this behaviour??

Why would you take your wife to Barnet away unless you didn’t want her to attend again
 
Back
Top Bottom