Top Forwards

Tinhat

Senior portion
Joined
12 Jun 2002
Messages
227
Reaction score
1
Location
astrozooming around the cosmos

Top Forwards

Who do we think have been our top forwards in the last 25 years? Not necessarily most skillfull or scoring the most goals although that does have a bearing but most crowd pleasing?

Never really liked shortarse Steve Phillips.
Andy McCulloch was always a fave
Marcus Gayle on his day was superb notwithstanding the impediment in his shorts. More of a winger so not sure he counts here - same rule would rule out Sinton and Smillie.
Kevin Godfrey - he'd go up to head the ball in but fu@k knows what direction it would shim off his bonce
Faster Forster faster
Holdsworth poked them in regularly especially if they were page 3 birds
Humpy the camel when he got to play up front was always good value
Bliss and his flying fists - get stuck in my son
Lloydie was as good as any we've had
Burgess runs like a girl but when he gets the ball is surprisingly skillfull
Marky Mac - see Godfrey
Bob Taylor - all arms and legs. Most ungainly windmill style

Any more for any more?
 

Top Forwards

Tinhat said:

Marcus Gayle on his day was superb notwithstanding the impediment in his shorts.

"Marcus Gayle's got a ****ing huge cock!"...
... I'll get us singing this at GP again if it's the last thing I do. :D
 

Top Forwards

francis joseph & tony mahoney were fantastic together.
i remember swiping brizzel rowvez 5-1 first game 82-83.
a couple of 4-1's followed later, we beat someone 5-2 (gills?)
i had 2 birds on the go, i was 14, everything was top of the shop.
then mahoney broke his ankle in a muddy cup replay v swindon just before xmas & we went crap & i was birdless for ages after that :mad:
 

Top Forwards

Do we draw the conclusion that we only have good strikers when you've got a bird on the go?

Pull your finger out mate...
 

Top Forwards

Tinhat said:
Do we draw the conclusion that we only have good strikers when you've got a bird on the go?

Pull your finger out mate...

or maybe he should put his finger in:eek:
 

Top Forwards

well i got married in summer '98
the year lloydie signed :)
 

Top Forwards

Now he's gone let's hope divorce ain't on the cards for ya!

Glad my love life ain't linked to the success of BFC's strikeforce!!

Mind you, you'll be laughing if Michael Owen and Ronaldo decide to grace W London's finest!!!
 

Top Forwards

I thought Owusu has been 1 of the best in terms of goal ratio.

He summed up the best of Ron's time Cheap and cheerful ... and highly successsful
 

Top Forwards

big neil said:
well i got married in summer '98
the year lloydie signed :)

no prizes for guessing what happened the year i got married(may18 1991) ..............yes thats right we lost in play-offs.!!!went straight from prenton park to gatwick to fly off on honeymoon(only booked a week in case we got to final).set off tired and depressed(both of us btw)but managed to cheer up in the bar(thought we better try and enjoy our honeymoon)oh well such is the life of a bees and england fanatic.but at least that was one play off defeat where i didn't say"always the bridesmade"
 

Top Forwards

I think that Forster and Taylor were good, and Lloyd for most of last season. Probably Holdsworth was the best in the last 25 years.
 

Top Forwards

A sad indictment on the quality of our front players but I'm tending to agree re Deano.

Mind you - he was at his best when at the Bees and was still hungry and went rapidly downhill after he left.
 

Top Forwards

coventry bee said:
dont forget the legend of all legends MURRAY JONES

I wish I could forget but the image of him sloping around GP trying to give an image of being a pro footie player still wrankles.

To think not only that we paid money for him but that he replaced 38 goal in a season Deano, without doubt the best forward to grace our team for many a season.

Phillips was a little diamond though, it would be nice to think Peters turned out as good.
 

Top Forwards

CJC said:
I think that Forster and Taylor were good, and Lloyd for most of last season. Probably Holdsworth was the best in the last 25 years.


Have to disagree - Bliss made Holdswoth loads of goals and then scored 29 in a relegated side - would Holdsworth have got half that much on his own? me thinks not....
 

Top Forwards

I think Blissett was the best I've seen at GP. As B2B says, he scored and created them. I'll never forget his goals against Manchester City and Blackburn during the FA Cup run in 1988/9 season. Francis Joseph was another great, as was Robbie Cooke. If we're counting goalscoring wingers I always liked Gary Roberts. I think he would have played at a higher level if it wasn't for his injury.
 

Top Forwards

B2B said:



Have to disagree - Bliss made Holdswoth loads of goals and then scored 29 in a relegated side - would Holdsworth have got half that much on his own? me thinks not....

Blisset was awesome, I cnat remember the amount of times that he was clean through with only the keeper to beat and h'd pass it for Deano to tap into the empty net.
 

Top Forwards

Blissett and Taylor were the two best in my time watching Brentford. Just imagine if you were a central defender having to mark either of those in their prime.
 

Top Forwards

I vote for Blisset as well. When things turn sh*tty at GP I like to recall the Blackburn FA Cup tie in the same way a child turns to a comfort blanket. What a star he was.
If its nightmares I want then I too remember the Joseph/Mahoney partnership and I have hated Swindon like poison ever since the cup replay when Mahoney got his leg broken and a promising season fell apart.
 

Top Forwards

John O'Mara was the dogs 13ollox. My hero for so long after he left. Tall, striker built like a tank. Just put the ball up in the air and he would get it and knock it into the back of the net.
Other names from the past ....
Willie Brown
Dave Simmons
 

Top Forwards

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Richie Caddette!
:eek: :eek:

IMHO 'Oooo Richie Caddette, Ooooo Richie Caddette, Ooooo Richie Caddette in the back of the net' was one of the most talented strikers in the modern Bees history.

I was absolutely gutted to see him leave :(
 

Top Forwards

Bliss for me although I would like to have seen him paired with Robbie Cooke ;)
 

Top Forwards

Slightly over 25 years ago, but Stewart Houston was the best all round footballer we had. May have played left back for Man U. and Scotland but played up front alongside O'Mara for us.
 

Top Forwards

As far as goalscoring was concerned - Gordon Sweetzer in his first spell, coming into a side full of kids (he must have been 19 at the time) at the bottom of Div 4 was the most prolific and deadliest I have seen.
 
Back
Top Bottom