Wimbledon 2022

SmiffyBee

A Beautiful Lie
Joined
23 Mar 2005
Messages
45,759
Reaction score
9,617

Wimbledon 2022

Djokovic seems a shoe in for the men.
Swiatek the form horse for the ladies.

I don't think there's much hope for a GB success this year.

Sad to see Robinsons have ended their 85 year association with Wimbledon.
Apparently they wanted to push Gatorade, which is top sugary for the LTA's liking.
They might be back next year, this year's discussions were cordial.

???
 

Wimbledon 2022

Sad to see Robinsons have ended their 85 year association with Wimbledon.
I was interested to read that this was the 2nd long sponsorship in sports history.

The longest being 120 years between Wimbledon and Slazenger.
 

Wimbledon 2022

Djokovic seems a shoe in for the men.
Swiatek the form horse for the ladies.

I don't think there's much hope for a GB success this year.

Sad to see Robinsons have ended their 85 year association with Wimbledon.
Apparently they wanted to push Gatorade, which is top sugary for the LTA's liking.
They might be back next year, this year's discussions were cordial.

???
A lot depends on Nadal's fitness, I think he really wants another Wimbledon title before he retires, only two titles does look a slight anomaly compared to his success at the French and US Opens.

Berretinni such a dangerous player on grass so could make the final again, very much looking forward to seeing how Alcaraz does on grass.

Sneaky feeling Murray might make the second week.
 

Wimbledon 2022

I was interested to read that this was the 2nd long sponsorship in sports history.

The longest being 120 years between Wimbledon and Slazenger.
I’m surprised this has lasted, I associate Slazenger nowadays with cheap gear from Sports Direct.
 

Wimbledon 2022

Two main changes this year
Firstly BBC 1 will go to the tennis every night between 19:00 and 20:30 (With a possible extension)

Secondly somehow we have a new presenter , maybe testing her out for next year ??

Daily coverage is presented by Sue Barker and Isa Guha, continuing on BBC One and BBC Two for the rest of the week.

Isa Guha starts at 11 with Sue Barker not starting until 145 this year


Typical Day's schedule

Monday, 27 June

11:00-19:00 - Live coverage - BBC Two
13:45-18:00 & 19:00-20:30 - Live coverage - BBC One
20:30-21:30 - Today At Wimbledon, BBC Two

Today At Wimbledon
Clare Balding and guests look back at the day’s play at Wimbledon.
 

Wimbledon 2022

Well done for dunking on a teenager. I hope you’re proud.
What are you on about?

I was listening on the radio on Fri that she was awaiting a late fitness test.

Bizarre and judgemental post from you btw.
 

Wimbledon 2022

Though Raducanu was able to practise all her main shots on Saturday without much difficulty, including her serve, she ducked questions about whether she was playing pain-free: "Right now I'm fit. I'm ready to go. I'm looking forward to it. That's it."
 

Wimbledon 2022

Djokovic seems a shoe in for the men.
Swiatek the form horse for the ladies.

I don't think there's much hope for a GB success this year.

Sad to see Robinsons have ended their 85 year association with Wimbledon.
Apparently they wanted to push Gatorade, which is top sugary for the LTA's liking.
They might be back next year, this year's discussions were cordial.

???
It’s 86 years Smudger & I am not sad about this in the least. Good riddance! Robinsons is the weakest and most expensive of all the orange squashes imho. Just makes me so angry. I will now finally be able to end my Wimbledon boycott after all these years, participation and spectating.
 

Wimbledon 2022

Good luck Emma & bad luck Novax.
 

Wimbledon 2022

Just for transparency I'd like to direct you to ER's comments widely reported in today's papers regarding her injury concerns earlier in the week. Understand she had to pull out of two warm up matches with the last against Muguruza on Friday.

This was all relayed by the tennis correspondent on talksport y'day morning, who seemed to think that it was an indicator that she may not have recovered from the back injury that made her retire from her previous tournament and pull out of the Nottingham Open last week.

Got my answer from smiffybee in post #4 before the landed gentry of the GPG landed their sanctimonious punches hrs later.
 

Wimbledon 2022

Just for transparency I'd like to direct you to ER's comments widely reported in today's papers regarding her injury concerns earlier in the week. Understand she had to pull out of two warm up matches with the last against Muguruza on Friday.

This was all relayed by the tennis correspondent on talksport y'day morning, who seemed to think that it was an indicator that she may not have recovered from the back injury that made her retire from her previous tournament and pull out of the Nottingham Open last week.

Got my answer from smiffybee in post #4 before the landed gentry of the GPG landed their sanctimonious punches hrs later.
You’re protesting too much, buddy.
 

Wimbledon 2022

It’s 86 years Smudger & I am not sad about this in the least. Good riddance! Robinsons is the weakest and most expensive of all the orange squashes imho. Just makes me so angry. I will now finally be able to end my Wimbledon boycott after all these years, participation and spectating.
I'm devastated you didn't reference my cordial joke and for that reason, I'm out.

?
 

Wimbledon 2022

Just for transparency I'd like to direct you to ER's comments widely reported in today's papers regarding her injury concerns earlier in the week. Understand she had to pull out of two warm up matches with the last against Muguruza on Friday.

This was all relayed by the tennis correspondent on talksport y'day morning, who seemed to think that it was an indicator that she may not have recovered from the back injury that made her retire from her previous tournament and pull out of the Nottingham Open last week.

Got my answer from smiffybee in post #4 before the landed gentry of the GPG landed their sanctimonious punches hrs later.
Wouldn't worry too much. A few with a very unhealthy obsession, who will attack anything other then fawning love for ER on here. I got banned form the Emma Radacanu thread for saying what an incredible achievement her US Open win was considering her multiple pull outs in the lead up... anyway up the Brits ??
 

Wimbledon 2022

Emma Raducanu promoting her sponsorship with Tiffany today .. she just needs an evening dress to go with it ?
I’d happily wear them at work for 2 million quid!!
 

Wimbledon 2022

Radacanu wins !

Murray on now. Come on the Brits !
 

Wimbledon 2022

Nik Kyrgios is a bit of a strange person/or knob, depending on your point of view!
 

Wimbledon 2022

Loads of empty seats on most courts, I seem to remember going in the 80’s & buying tickets on the gate for the evening.
Presume that doesn’t happen now?
 

Wimbledon 2022

Great match but it would be nice if one of them could crack a smile every now and then ?both look so miserable
Two incredible athletes, at the top end of their sport, put their heart, soul and full effort into a long and gruelling match with very real stakes and produced brilliant performances…

But yeah. Smile more, ladies. ??‍♀️
 

Wimbledon 2022

Great performance by Tan, a lesson to all in never giving up. Will she be able to follow up with further great performances?
 

Wimbledon 2022

Two incredible athletes, at the top end of their sport, put their heart, soul and full effort into a long and gruelling match with very real stakes and produced brilliant performances…

But yeah. Smile more, ladies. ??‍♀️
Ladies shouldn't have to smile. Borg didn't. McEnroe didn't. Murray doesn't. Why do we expect "ladies" to smile? Complete nonsense.
 

Wimbledon 2022

Postponed? Rain?
Scheduled as the 6th match on court 18 but Katie Boulter’s match (the 5th on court 18) didn’t finish until just before 9pm so no point in starting. (Don’t ask me why it wasn’t rescheduled to another court…)
 

Wimbledon 2022

This might be (it is) a sweeping statement but tennis is a watchable, skillful sport but by christ professional tennis players are dislikeable show ponies.
 

Wimbledon 2022

And none of the men promote their watch sponsorship?
Yep and that is a load of toss to. Why is there a need to wear a rolex when playing tennis, or a big f*** off ring. It definitely annoys me more than it should.

Also why do the ball boys/girls have to stand the way they do. It would be brilliant for one just to be slouched in the corner on their phone, casually lobbing a ball at a player when they felt like it.
 

Wimbledon 2022

Great performance by Tan, a lesson to all in never giving up. Will she be able to follow up with further great performances?

She was brilliant, battled so hard all match.

I noticed the commentators were all over Serena and when Tan got close to winning they got quieter and quieter. I don't think they could handle their superstar getting knocked out which is strange because an underdog winning is a far better/bigger story.
 
Back
Top Bottom