Women's World Cup

Guildford Bee

Well-known member
Joined
16 May 2000
Messages
17,358
Reaction score
9,059
Location
Caterham

Women's World Cup

Kicks off tonight in Canada. England's first game at 6pm on Tuesday against France.

Looks like USA are the favourites.
 

Women's World Cup

Yawn fest
 

Women's World Cup

Monkey tennis?

I heard the other day that FIFA spent more on hotels last year than they have invested in women's football in the last decade.

Bloody right too.

That Chuck Blazer looks as if he isn't a stranger to a decent hotel meal.
 

Women's World Cup

I don't mind a bit of women's football, the standard is improving every year, and football is football ;)

Something has to fill the void until August!

Plus the women's team has more chance of winning something!
 

Women's World Cup

Has anyone got any swapsies for the Panini album or does this has its own thread?
 

Women's World Cup

Well, I watched the first half hour then turned it off, unwatchable sh*t I am afraid. For an opening world cup game the grass looked good from a distance but it seemed to be bobbling a bit but the amount of missed placed passes, lack of tackling, goalkeepers diving in the wrong direction- it was utterly appalling to watch. I am sure there are some good teams out there and I remember watching sweden play a few years ago and being impressed but until they sort out the goalkeeping nonsense it will always be a bit of a joke.

Women are always whining as to why they don't get the same prize money as men at wimbledon....because the men play for twice as long maybe. Why don't they get the same coverage as men at football....because people wont pay to watch sunday morning football maybe. And lets be honest, unlike athletics and tennis women footballers are just not very good looking for some reason. I don't know if it is the kit that is completely unflattering or whether they are just unattractive but maybe sepp had a point.
 

Women's World Cup

I would agree about the goalkeepers they are so far behind Sunday morning keepers let alone pro keepers. This seems to encourage shooting from everywhere. Some of these girls can strike a ball. I started to wonder if the ball size or is different. The amount of money it receives is proportional to the quality. That we all know.
 

Women's World Cup

Well, I watched the first half hour then turned it off, unwatchable sh*t I am afraid. For an opening world cup game the grass looked good from a distance but it seemed to be bobbling a bit but the amount of missed placed passes, lack of tackling, goalkeepers diving in the wrong direction- it was utterly appalling to watch.
I watched the first half and it was poor to say the least. But I would add that the pitch (as all pitches will be for this World Cup, I believe) was artificial so that probably contributed, at least to some extent, to the complete lack of quality.
 

Women's World Cup

The hosts, Canada, win with a last minute penalty.

:suspect:
 

Women's World Cup

My wife asked if I was going to watch it.

I said no because the quality is dreadful and it's not as good as the men's.

I got a half hour ear bashing saying what if my daughter wants to play football are you going to say "what's the point, you won't be good as men" lol. That wasn't my point.

One of the best footballers I have ever known is my auntie, but that's not my point either.

I told her that if the men played the women it would be about 10-0 to the men. It's not sexist. It's just the way it is.

Women are better at gymnastics. So I'm sexist there I guess as well.

I give up. :(.
 

Women's World Cup

My wife asked if I was going to watch it.

I said no because the quality is dreadful and it's not as good as the men's.

I got a half hour ear bashing saying what if my daughter wants to play football are you going to say "what's the point, you won't be good as men" lol. That wasn't my point.

One of the best footballers I have ever known is my auntie, but that's not my point either.

I told her that if the men played the women it would be about 10-0 to the men. It's not sexist. It's just the way it is.

Women are better at gymnastics. So I'm sexist there I guess as well.

I give up. :(.

Glad to see there will be no more posts from you on this thread then.
The quality will not be poor, it will be outstanding.
Being better than the men and being an entertaining or good quality game are two different things.
 

Women's World Cup

Being better than the men and being an entertaining or good quality game are two different things.

You're right on this part. However, i have watched womens football for a long time and given it a chance. The goalkeepers are awful, you do get the odd good strike, but its just not for me.

The quality will not be poor, it will be outstanding.

No, just no. :)
 

Women's World Cup

To be fair, i would definitely find a better game in this WC than this Ireland v England mens game. Its utter tripe.
 

Women's World Cup

Good penalty save by the Thai keeper. But they have been physically overpowered by Norway. Oh those blond Viking girls!
 

Women's World Cup

I watched the Canada vs. China game, last night.

It was awful. Really, really bad.

Those artificial pitches are sh*t.

I thought it was a penalty. Flailing arm in to the face of the Canada player. :shrug:

Might watch the Germany game, might not... :yawn:
 

Women's World Cup

This Germany game v Ivory Coast can easily end up double figures.

Germany 4-0 up after 30 minutes and could be double figures if earlier shots went in!
 

Women's World Cup

..........Germany 7-0 up............
 

Women's World Cup

Germany are sh*t hot, while The Ivory Coast are just sh*t.
 

Women's World Cup

...........the only time it's acceptible for footballers to wear pink...........
 

Women's World Cup

If the FA want to grow the women's game the route to do so is easy & it isn't a women's premier league where many of the games have gates of less than 1000. Get the defending & goalkeeping up to Conference standard and you'll both have less dismissive comments about the women's game and a genuine shot at the England women's team winning some silverware. Probably the best way to achieve this would be regular games/training session between the women's national squad & men's teams further down the pyramid until they reach Conference standard.
 

Women's World Cup

The standard can be very good sometimes. I went to the Olympic Final between USA and Japan and it was a great, open game with high levels of skill on both sides. The early games in this tournament are likely to be a mixed bag because some of the national teams are very inexperienced, but there have been things (football-related!!!) to enjoy in both the games I have seen so far. I expect the standard of latter stages to be pretty high. The only slightly disconcerting thing so far is that I have never watched a game before where I fancied the assistant referee!!! ;)
 

Women's World Cup

The standard can be very good sometimes. I went to the Olympic Final between USA and Japan and it was a great, open game with high levels of skill on both sides. The early games in this tournament are likely to be a mixed bag because some of the national teams are very inexperienced, but there have been things (football-related!!!) to enjoy in both the games I have seen so far. I expect the standard of latter stages to be pretty high. The only slightly disconcerting thing so far is that I have never watched a game before where I fancied the assistant referee!!! ;)

one of those olympic games was absolutely brilliant entertainment i even posted about it on GPG. Definitely involved USA. It was proper end to end stuff
 

Women's World Cup

WHile the Canada match was awful, Germany looked very good indeed. soe of the awareness of where other players were was excellent. Looking forward to seeing them against a better team.

As others said, the refereeing has been very poor at times. When the Ivory Coast 4ft 7inch player missed the header from a yard out, the assistant referee flagged for a foul. How? What foul? The keeper dropped the ball because she ran into three of her own players. And how come that wasn't a penalty to Germany in the last minute?
 

Women's World Cup

Such a predictable reply Smiffy, not even pun based. your standards are slipping

I think you will find it is not part of my requirement on this planet to referee at a a World Cup therefore it doesnt matter
 

Women's World Cup

The pitches are sh*t.

I said PITCHES. :nono:
 

Women's World Cup

An absolute cracker tonight! Sweden 3 Nigeria 3. Some fantastically talented forwards for Nigeria! A really entertaining, high standard game.
 

Women's World Cup

I'm not watching this. Women should not be playing football. They should be doing the dishes and the ironing. What's the world coming to? They'll want bleedin equality in the workplace next!
 

Women's World Cup

I'm not watching this. Women should not be playing football. They should be doing the dishes and the ironing. What's the world coming to? They'll want bleedin equality in the workplace next!

sexism-s.jpg
 

Women's World Cup

Watching USA v Australia at the moment.

USA took lead via a heavily deflected shot, before Australia deservedly equalised. Had a little flutter after watching the first 20 mins and so far I am up by £15 having started on £15 (£30 in account now).

Got a couple of other bets still on still, including a draw/USA which if it comes in I'd get £22.50 from £5.
 

Women's World Cup

An absolute cracker tonight! Sweden 3 Nigeria 3. Some fantastically talented forwards for Nigeria! A really entertaining, high standard game.

Certainly the best match I've seen in the last two Women's World Cup. It wuld have been a credit to the men's game. I agree that the Nigerian forwards were good - their strength on the ball was extraordinary. That applied to the whole of their team though, and their workrate was admirable. A really good team that in another group would go far - but they might well get through in this one as well.

My wife really enjoyed it too.
 

Women's World Cup

Watching USA v Australia at the moment.

USA took lead via a heavily deflected shot, before Australia deservedly equalised.

Was a great first half. :thetruth:
I fell asleep before the second half started. :yawn:
 
Back
Top Bottom