Andy Scott

Should Andy Scott Stay or Go?

  • Yes he should go

    Votes: 136 24.8%
  • No he should definitely stay

    Votes: 167 30.5%
  • Too Early to decide - Needs time to fix it

    Votes: 245 44.7%

  • Total voters
    548
Status
Not open for further replies.

finsbury_bee

Active member
Joined
12 Aug 2006
Messages
2,823
Reaction score
2,152
Location
Henley

Andy Scott

Just read the Hounslow Chronicle article about Sam Saunders. I feel sorry for him, Richard Lee, Alan Bennett, Michael Spillane, Glenn Poole, David McCracken, Mark Phillips, Nicky Forster, etc... Andy's done well at Brentford results wise, but I definately wouldn't want to work for him. You'd never know whether you're coming or going.

PS. Is there a generic Andy Scott thread? I couldn't find one.
 

Andy Scott

If you look down the bottom of the page you'll find four, but the most recent post in one of those was five years ago.
 

Andy Scott

As a manager, you have to be ruthless. Results are all that matters. AS isn't there to be kind and friendly with his players. There's nothing worse than a manager who gives his favourites chance after chance despite them not delivering the goods.

Of your list, most the players mentioned haven't been able to cut it at League One level (Saunders, Bennett, Phillips), or have had average to poor pre-seasons (Lee, Spillane, McCracken, Forster)
 

Andy Scott

Just read the Hounslow Chronicle article about Sam Saunders. I feel sorry for him, Richard Lee, Alan Bennett, Michael Spillane, Glenn Poole, David McCracken, Mark Phillips, Nicky Forster, etc... Andy's done well at Brentford results wise, but I definately wouldn't want to work for him. You'd never know whether you're coming or going.

Not sure what Forster and Spillane would have to complain about. Spillane has worked his way back into the team and Forster is 36.

I think Mark Phillips can feel a bit hard done by because McCracken is no better but either way he still wouldn't be in the team.
 

Andy Scott

Andy Scott

Just read the Hounslow Chronicle article about Sam Saunders. I feel sorry for him, Richard Lee, Alan Bennett, Michael Spillane, Glenn Poole, David McCracken, Mark Phillips, Nicky Forster, etc... Andy's done well at Brentford results wise, but I definately wouldn't want to work for him. You'd never know whether you're coming or going.

PS. Is there a generic Andy Scott thread? I couldn't find one.

Its a tough world. We now have a squad full of talent and its up to the players to take their chances when they arrive. Poole much as i liked him has ended up at Barnet so AS has been proved right there. Spillane has come in and done quite well. Phillips played a lot but we bought in better players. Mccracken will take his chance when it comes i am sure. Forster can't get in because of the form of GA and Mac.

Losing 3-0 to Gillingham is not gonna make AS and TB change the team at the moment.

Enjoy while you can becuase i for one could never imagine us having a squad like this 2 or even 1 year ago.
 

Andy Scott

Just read the Hounslow Chronicle article about Sam Saunders. I feel sorry for him, Richard Lee, Alan Bennett, Michael Spillane, Glenn Poole, David McCracken, Mark Phillips, Nicky Forster, etc... Andy's done well at Brentford results wise, but I definately wouldn't want to work for him. You'd never know whether you're coming or going.

PS. Is there a generic Andy Scott thread? I couldn't find one.

Its a business, he is judged on results, as we all are in our jobs. No results end of job, simple as that.
 

Andy Scott

I wouldn't feel sorry for Sam Saunders. If he was good enough, he'd be playing every week. He isn't, so he's not. There are a lot of things that people aren't good enough to do, you and I included - his happens to be playing right wing for an upwardly mobile Div 1 team.
 

Andy Scott

Who that has fallen by the Scott wayside has gone on to stick it to him ?

I can't think of one...
 

Andy Scott

As a manager, you have to be ruthless. Results are all that matters. AS isn't there to be kind and friendly with his players. There's nothing worse than a manager who gives his favourites chance after chance despite them not delivering the goods.

Of your list, most the players mentioned haven't been able to cut it at League One level (Saunders, Bennett, Phillips), or have had average to poor pre-seasons (Lee, Spillane, McCracken, Forster)

Spillane and Forster... average to poor pre-seasons???:nono:

I assume you didn't go to any pre-season games as they were probably our two stand out players!
 

Andy Scott

Who that has fallen by the Scott wayside has gone on to stick it to him ?

I can't think of one...

Terry Butcher :yes:
 

Andy Scott

Who that has fallen by the Scott wayside has gone on to stick it to him ?

I can't think of one...

Could argue a case for Rueben Reid? :fishing:
 

Andy Scott

Who that has fallen by the Scott wayside has gone on to stick it to him ?

I can't think of one...

Where are all the Sammy Moore fans now........?

....and Billy Clarke......for that matter
 
Last edited:

Andy Scott

Could argue a case for Rueben Reid? :fishing:

I think that was more of a case of AS didn't want to take a chance on his attitude affecting the team not that he didn't rate him, which in my book is not a bad thing.
 

Andy Scott

Where are all the Sammy Moore fans now........?

....and Billy Clarke......for that matter

I think Clarke is a different case. Am sure he'd be challenging for a place if he were with us and it's injury that is stopping him playing at the moment... not that I am criticising Scott for not signing him (if it were Andy's decision rather than the player's)
 

Andy Scott

Just read the Hounslow Chronicle article about Sam Saunders. I feel sorry for him, Richard Lee, Alan Bennett, Michael Spillane, Glenn Poole, David McCracken, Mark Phillips, Nicky Forster, etc... Andy's done well at Brentford results wise, but I definately wouldn't want to work for him. You'd never know whether you're coming or going.

I do find comments like this quite surprising.

There is a standard being set for the quality and calibre of player who can take this club forward and anyone who falls below or fails to reach it will find themselves being moved on pretty rapidly.

In forty years of watching Brentford, that has never been the case before.

(I wonder how many of their players the likes of Ferguson and Wenger invite round for afteroon tea!?)

As someone has already said, you have to enjoy the 'good times' while you can.
 

Andy Scott

What do you expect him to do - he can only pick eleven players???

Shame sitting on a nice comfy padded leather seat in a spacious dugout watching others work whilst you're still picking up £3k a week....
 

Andy Scott

What do you expect him to do - he can only pick eleven players???

Shame sitting on a nice comfy padded leather seat in a spacious dugout watching others work whilst you're still picking up £3k a week....

This is a very good point. There is a lot made of the fact that players who aren't picked are hard done by. It wasn't always the case when teams had much smaller squads but nowadays the job of a professional footballer is to train well, keep himself at peak fitness and if and when selected for either first or other team play to the best of his ability. There is nothing in the job description about playing every week. Players who aren't picked often can still add a lot to the squad - take David Hunt for example. You only have to read his entertaining blog to see how much he loves his job despite not being a regular in the side and I would imagine he adds a lot to the team morale.

If playing regularly is something that a player needs to keep himself motivated then like Saunders has done he can ask to move on and in all probability that wish will be granted. I agree with T.I.T.S though that we shouldn't feel very sorry for squad members who are picking up a decent wage for being part of a squad but are not a first team regular. That is football life nowadays.
 

Andy Scott

I do find comments like this quite surprising.

There is a standard being set for the quality and calibre of player who can take this club forward and anyone who falls below or fails to reach it will find themselves being moved on pretty rapidly.

In forty years of watching Brentford, that has never been the case before.

(I wonder how many of their players the likes of Ferguson and Wenger invite round for afternoon tea!?)

As someone has already said, you have to enjoy the 'good times' while you can.


good analagy. Tinman appears to be quite a horrible individual but this might be good in terms of not being too matey with the players. up the Buzzbee babes. welcome to the club Andy :love2:
 

Andy Scott

Arsenal and Man Utd rotate their squad though.

Though - apart from the Lge Cup and early FA ties - I think that's more to give key players a rest than to keep fringe players motivated. With the possible exception of the JPT, I wouldn't rest players from a winning team unless they seemed near to burnout, which is unlikely 8 games into the season.

I think if any of us heard tomorrow that we had left Simpson out to give Saunders a game, or omitted the in-form Karleigh so McCracken isn't miserable, we'd think AS had lost his marbles
 

Andy Scott

Though - apart from the Lge Cup and early FA ties - I think that's more to give key players a rest than to keep fringe players motivated. With the possible exception of the JPT, I wouldn't rest players from a winning team unless they seemed near to burnout, which is unlikely 8 games into the season.

I think if any of us heard tomorrow that we had left Simpson out to give Saunders a game, or omitted the in-form Karleigh so McCracken isn't miserable, we'd think AS had lost his marbles
Saturday was our first league win of the season! :D
 

Andy Scott

I wouldn't feel sorry for Sam Saunders. If he was good enough, he'd be playing every week. He isn't, so he's not. There are a lot of things that people aren't good enough to do, you and I included - his happens to be playing right wing for an upwardly mobile Div 1 team.

:imwith:

Saunders isn't the best example of Scott being ruthless, he's had plenty of chances and hasn't taken them. Someone like Lee has had 2 competitive games when he's done ok and still gets replaced by one of 'Andy's favourites', that's more ruthless. But then Scott's job is to sign the best players he can and pick his best team and Lee isn't the best goalkeeper in our squad right now.
 

Andy Scott

If Saunders wants to go because he can't get into the team, then let him go. At long last we have a Manager who isn't happy with second best.
 

Andy Scott

I think we will be seeing a lot of the squad being used over the next few weeks as we will have 5 tough games in 15 days - well 4 tough ones to be honest.
 

Andy Scott

Just read the Hounslow Chronicle article about Sam Saunders. I feel sorry for him, Richard Lee, Alan Bennett, Michael Spillane, Glenn Poole, David McCracken, Mark Phillips, Nicky Forster, etc... Andy's done well at Brentford results wise, but I definately wouldn't want to work for him. You'd never know whether you're coming or going.

PS. Is there a generic Andy Scott thread? I couldn't find one.

Bennet, Poole and Philips all had good cracks at playing regularly and all picked up a Championship medal, they can hardly feel hard done by...note that all are playing in lower leagues.

I don't exactly see a queue outside GP wanting to sign Saunders
 

Andy Scott

To be fair if we lose tomorrow then I'm back to 'one game wonder' Scott out! Hope that's not the case. He has a fantastic budget that should be paying dividends by now. Fingers crossed!
 

Andy Scott

I do find comments like this quite surprising.

There is a standard being set for the quality and calibre of player who can take this club forward and anyone who falls below or fails to reach it will find themselves being moved on pretty rapidly.

In forty years of watching Brentford, that has never been the case before.

(I wonder how many of their players the likes of Ferguson and Wenger invite round for afteroon tea!?)

As someone has already said, you have to enjoy the 'good times' while you can.

I totally agree that if a player is not good enough then they don't play, of course we all want the club to do the best it can, and the club comes first. I just feel these players haven't had a fair crack, and I find some of Andy's decisions hard to fathom.

With Saunders, he was going to a new club in a higher league, and you'd expect it would take time to settle in, and so perhaps he should have been given a run in the team to aclimatise. Last season Scott persued Bennett trying to get him to sign, then dropped him fast. Scott brings Lee in as number 1, then drops him for Moore, the McCarthy, then back to Lee, then brings in Hamer. Spillane gets dropped in the first match after 45mins, was he the main culprit for that poor performance? I know Poole wasn't that popular, but he got us 14 goals in his first season, and then was half-way to that again in his second season, but suddenly got dropped. Cleveland Taylor, he persued him supposedly for over a year, and I don't think he got a chance.

If Andy Scott was managed by Andy Scott, he'd have been sacked after the Carlisle game. Just wonder what all this chopping and changing affects the players, and it must cost the club as well. But if we gets results -who cares. I'm not anti Scott or anything, just find his decisions a bit puzzling.
 

Andy Scott

I totally agree that if a player is not good enough then they don't play, of course we all want the club to do the best it can, and the club comes first. I just feel these players haven't had a fair crack, and I find some of Andy's decisions hard to fathom.

With Saunders, he was going to a new club in a higher league, and you'd expect it would take time to settle in, and so perhaps he should have been given a run in the team to aclimatise. Last season Scott persued Bennett trying to get him to sign, then dropped him fast. Scott brings Lee in as number 1, then drops him for Moore, the McCarthy, then back to Lee, then brings in Hamer. Spillane gets dropped in the first match after 45mins, was he the main culprit for that poor performance? I know Poole wasn't that popular, but he got us 14 goals in his first season, and then was half-way to that again in his second season, but suddenly got dropped. Cleveland Taylor, he persued him supposedly for over a year, and I don't think he got a chance.

If Andy Scott was managed by Andy Scott, he'd have been sacked after the Carlisle game. Just wonder what all this chopping and changing affects the players, and it must cost the club as well. But if we gets results -who cares. I'm not anti Scott or anything, just find his decisions a bit puzzling.

But Andy does get results. Isnt that the point?
 

Andy Scott

But Andy does get results. Isnt that the point?

You're spot on, he gets the results, and not complaining about it. I'm only making an observation that in the years I've been watching the bees I've never seen anyone else manage in this style. Bringing players in, then not playing them, and prefering to play people out of position. It's a bit like commenting on the tactics, people have said they're a bit industrial, but if it gets the results?
 

Andy Scott

I don't think Scott has a clue who his first 11 is. What was the point in bringing new players in if you aren't going to try them out properly? As someone else said, even the big teams have squad rotation, not to keep players happy but to play the tactics for the game in hand. As for being on £3k a week, sounds nice now. It won't be when they are in their early/mid thirties and essentially out of work, that's why players want to play and maximise how much they get earn in one of the shortest careers around. If you've ever played competitive sport there's nothing worse than sitting watching the rest of the team play so I'm not surprised there might be some frustration brewing.
 

Andy Scott

So on the one hand we're saying AS doesn't rotate his squad; on the other he doesn't know what his best team is?

It isn't always about who the best players are but what the best balance for the team is. For example, if all your best players are right-footed, there will be times when a slightly less gifted player will get in the team because he's left-footed and you don't want right-footers at (old style positions coming up) at left back, left half and left wing. There was discussion about that in the recent internationals to avoid both central defenders being right footed.

Again, if you're away from home and the opposition has four tall players in midfield, would you play Saunders and Wood? I think it's unlikely. One perhaps, but not both.

Having said that, I am surprised that As deidn't bring on Forster the other day - I'd have thought his experience and nous were just what we wanted against ten men.
 

Andy Scott

I don't think Scott has a clue who his first 11 is. What was the point in bringing new players in if you aren't going to try them out properly? As someone else said, even the big teams have squad rotation, not to keep players happy but to play the tactics for the game in hand. As for being on £3k a week, sounds nice now. It won't be when they are in their early/mid thirties and essentially out of work, that's why players want to play and maximise how much they get earn in one of the shortest careers around. If you've ever played competitive sport there's nothing worse than sitting watching the rest of the team play so I'm not surprised there might be some frustration brewing.

I used to have the notion that under the squad number system 1-11 was the preferred "1st XI".

Handily, as far as I can tell, Scotty deosn't agree with that notion
 

Andy Scott

To be fair if we lose tomorrow then I'm back to 'one game wonder' Scott out! Hope that's not the case. He has a fantastic budget that should be paying dividends by now. Fingers crossed!

I believe it was Steve Coppell who said that you can only try to play well then the results will come, that he was more concerned with performances, for if these are good the points follow.

There's been enough to see already, IMHO, that a good finish is very highly likely than hopeful. The dividends are starting to be seen in the performance, the results WILL soon follow. Can see this team going on a ten - 12 game unbeaten run.
 

Andy Scott

I believe it was Steve Coppell who said that you can only try to play well then the results will come, that he was more concerned with performances, for if these are good the points follow.

There's been enough to see already, IMHO, that a good finish is very highly likely than hopeful. The dividends are starting to be seen in the performance, the results WILL soon follow. Can see this team going on a ten - 12 game unbeaten run.

I agree, we are starting to look good now, gonna be a good season. I just get upset when occasionally we are total gash.
 

Andy Scott

I don't think Scott has a clue who his first 11 is. What was the point in bringing new players in if you aren't going to try them out properly? As someone else said, even the big teams have squad rotation, not to keep players happy but to play the tactics for the game in hand. As for being on £3k a week, sounds nice now. It won't be when they are in their early/mid thirties and essentially out of work, that's why players want to play and maximise how much they get earn in one of the shortest careers around. If you've ever played competitive sport there's nothing worse than sitting watching the rest of the team play so I'm not surprised there might be some frustration brewing.
This is just rubbish! What is the point you're trying to make? Are you wanting 11 and 11 only or are you advocating rotation? Who is on £3k a week? Do you sell pension plans?
 

Andy Scott

jLove, I think all good teams have their strongest 11 however it doesn't mean they play week in week out and you need to be able to adapt each week. And yes, I think there should be some rotation, to keep things fresh and competition for places.
Someone else mentioned £3k a week, I was pointing out the fact that even if you are on that sort of cash, it doesn't last for long as a footballer. You have to be playing to keep getting a contract, especially in the lower leagues.

With regards pensions, not a bad idea, I'd probably make more than I do now.
 

Andy Scott

As someone else said, even the big teams have squad rotation, not to keep players happy but to play the tactics for the game in hand. As for being on £3k a week, sounds nice now. It won't be when they are in their early/mid thirties and essentially out of work, that's why players want to play and maximise how much they get earn in one of the shortest careers around. If you've ever played competitive sport there's nothing worse than sitting watching the rest of the team play so I'm not surprised if some of the players who have been left out are determined to earn their place in the side.

I think that with the changes above you're talking a lot of sense.
 

Andy Scott

Oh hell! At this stage of the season we are looking for Andy Scott's head! The comment the Sheffield Wednesday Manager made last week wasn't a false compliment when he stated we are in a "false position" before they played us. We have had some bad results in the league, but with such a difference in players in the close season, we are not going to perform as well as a squad that had been together for much of last season. AS has one of the strongest squads for years now, especially re goalscorers.Don't lets start getting stupid like Southampton with their impatience.I reckon that by mid October our position in the league will have altered dramatically - for the better. Give AS a chance for goodness sake.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom