Ashes 3rd Test

Ashes 3rd Test

It's a three hour final session. If we can get a decent amount of runs in an hour and twenty minutes then we declare giving us an hour and a half to roar in at the Aussies (light permitting).
 

Ashes 3rd Test

have a good old whack now. come on!! lol
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Buys a bit of time. If this partnership stays true for another 74 runs (150 lead) potentially then we get the Aussies out for 200ish by tea tomorrow we get the chance to knock them off. I'd want about 20-30 overs tonight (light+weather permitting)
 
Last edited:

Ashes 3rd Test

Swann goes. Jimmy (still no 0) needs to come in with the same attitude. Can either go all out but lets not waste overs. A quick 15-20 is better (5 overs) than a 10 over 30. You can see by the way England are batting that they're looking to get quick runs to either set up a declaration or to maximise the amount of runs the Aussies need to make us bat again and/or set a target.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

100 run lead. Johnson potentially injured?
 

Ashes 3rd Test

113 ahead. 2 hours to have a go at the Aussies. Pretty much perfect :)
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Yes. That's why he's bats at 11.

I honestly do not know what you are trying to say there - Are you trying to be funny? or smart?

Most bowlers however good at batting will find themselves below a tail end of Flintoff, Broad, Swann and Anderson.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Come on guy's & girls.... no rose tinted glasses. Call it.... I reckon Australia to hold out for the draw.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Australia to reach our target but only gain 20-50 runs, which Strauss and Cook will get with ease.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

hoping for another swinging morning session-Aussies as per Brentfordbeehive.

They don't like it up 'em!
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Just back from Edgbaston, in the Eric Hollies Stand. An absolutely brilliant day, every bit as good as Thursday was an utter waste of time and money!
I wouldn't say that today made up for Thursday, but it was a signficant down payment.

Some random thoughts: this Ben Hilfenhaus deserves some credit, he bowled his heart out today.

Lots of talk on the radio about the booing for Rick Ponting. It's all pantomime booing and I think Ponting understands that. It used to reserved for Shane Warne or Glen McGrath, but no one was ever in any doubt that it was a mark of respect. And so it is with Ponting.
Contrast that with the loud ovation that went up when it was announced that Mitchell Johnson was bowling from the Pavilion End and I think that tells its own story.

I desperately want Stuart Broad to do something with the ball tomorrow, because I genuinely think he has the making of a decent all-rounder coming into bat at no. 7; his innings of 55 (from 64 balls) was absolutely outstanding and the England middle order deserve great credit for retrieving the situation when Aussies were getting the upper hand at one stage. He made an outstanding catch at Lords that proved a pivotal part of the game, and his batting today could have the same effect. However, to be in the side he needs to be a bowling batter; at the moment he appears to be a batter who bowls a bit (such as Paul Collingwood).
I had hoped that he would have a key part to play in this series, but I am afraid at the moment he is out of his depth. So tomorrow is a big day for him, otherwise it has to Harmison and Sidebottom for Headingley.

I'd go for Harmison, simply because, for all the rubbish that the Aussies talk about him, I think he is someone they genuinely fear.

England have done incredibly well to get themselves into a situation of even having a chance of winning this test.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Australia to reach our target but only gain 20-50 runs, which Strauss and Cook will get with ease.

blimey i thought i was optimistic!n so you reckon we'll take these next eight wickets for about 50 runs or so?? i hope you are right mate. WE CAN WIN THIS!! COME ON :sad::sad::sad:
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Just back from Edgbaston, in the Eric Hollies Stand. An absolutely brilliant day, every bit as good as Thursday was an utter waste of time and money!
I wouldn't say that today made up for Thursday, but it was a signficant down payment.

Some random thoughts: this Ben Hilfenhaus deserves some credit, he bowled his heart out today.

Lots of talk on the radio about the booing for Rick Ponting. It's all pantomime booing and I think Ponting understands that. It used to reserved for Shane Warne or Glen McGrath, but no one was ever in any doubt that it was a mark of respect. And so it is with Ponting.
Contrast that with the loud ovation that went up when it was announced that Mitchell Johnson was bowling from the Pavilion End and I think that tells its own story.

I desperately want Stuart Broad to do something with the ball tomorrow, because I genuinely think he has the making of a decent all-rounder coming into bat at no. 7; his innings of 55 (from 64 balls) was absolutely outstanding and the England middle order deserve great credit for retrieving the situation when Aussies were getting the upper hand at one stage. He made an outstanding catch at Lords that proved a pivotal part of the game, and his batting today could have the same effect. However, to be in the side he needs to be a bowling batter; at the moment he appears to be a batter who bowls a bit (such as Paul Collingwood).
I had hoped that he would have a key part to play in this series, but I am afraid at the moment he is out of his depth. So tomorrow is a big day for him, otherwise it has to Harmison and Sidebottom for Headingley.

I'd go for Harmison, simply because, for all the rubbish that the Aussies talk about him, I think he is someone they genuinely fear.

England have done incredibly well to get themselves into a situation of even having a chance of winning this test.


interesting stuff. cheers for that report.

:shocked::shocked:
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Don't see any point in declaring.

I've never underststood the need for it, but then I don't play cricket. Do any captains, rather than declare simply order their team to play it like a 20/20 for about half an hour, only even nuttier? That's what I would do!
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Big first session tomorrow that could decide the match, and probably the series. There are plenty of overs left and with the pitch seemingly deteriorating it will be harder for runs to be scored.

If Australia bat until tea then it'll probably be a draw, but anything can happen on the final day, hopefully we can knock them over by mid afternoon and chase around 120 to win.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Great day yesterday from England and we have proved we are well on top of Australia, whatever happens today.

I am confident we can bowl them out today, however whether we can do it suickly and cheaply enough is another question.

We could be set for chasing 150 off 30 overs which would be interesting.

My biggest fear is that we bowl all day and then have to bowl on Friday. That would be tough. But with the chance to all but win the Ashes today we have to go for it.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

The first half hour is key. Knock over 2 wickets, you never know. If we don't take a wicket in the first hour, may as well shake hands.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

What's the weather like in Brum this morning?
 

Ashes 3rd Test

The first half hour is key. Knock over 2 wickets, you never know. If we don't take a wicket in the first hour, may as well shake hands.

:confused:
 

Ashes 3rd Test

I've never underststood the need for it, but then I don't play cricket. Do any captains, rather than declare simply order their team to play it like a 20/20 for about half an hour, only even nuttier? That's what I would do!

It's a psychological blow to the opposition as they've failed to take ten wickets. Normally the captain will tell them to bat aggressively for a time then declare.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Scores are level.

This game is edging closer to the draw.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

88 overs left, which probably means we have 55 to bowl them out.

I'd back us to chase what they get in 55 in 31 if we had to.

I'm not confident at the moment but Anderson hasn't had a bowl yet.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

That's an hour lost. I think this is probably going to be a wasted day and it's sunny outside.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Anderson strikes in his first over.

Watson gone.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grey:
 

Ashes 3rd Test

big wicket. Game ON. Glad we didn't shake hands after the first hour ;)
 

Ashes 3rd Test

The game is teasing those of us who are watching it.

TBH before Anderson got his wicket I'd lost a lot of hope and before Broad struck I had done the same.

Now, if there is a good spell after lunch we would become firm favourites.

59 ahead with 68 overs remaining.

If we can bowl them out in 35 overs we'd be odds-on, even 40 would give us a chance but one decent partnership takes it away.

My money at the moment would be on us being left an unrealistic chase.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

If we can have them :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave: six down after an hours afternoon play then I believe we'll go on and win this.
There is not a great deal of movement in the air or off the pitch but I believe pressure is a major factor and have the Convicts got what it takes ?

2-0 To The Super E's :rolleyes:
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Needed to get another wicket before lunch I reckon.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

hhmm, just need to hope for an accidental declaration in the next hour by the Ozzys.

:yes:
 

Ashes 3rd Test

49 overs remaining and they lead by 118.

Second new ball due in four overs.

That's the last chance for a result in this game IMHO - and TBH it hasn't done much in the early stages of any new ball to date.
 
Back
Top Bottom