Ashes 3rd Test

Ashes 3rd Test

Shame that the weather has ruined what possibly could have been a classic test match. If this was day four not day five then England could have been set 220-250 on a last day pitch, would have made for cracking drama!

I'm just worried that we've seen a poor Australian side in two test matches in a row and have only been able to win one of them. It appears that going into Headingley they've improved their batting (Watson for Hughes) and Johnson is just starting to find his rhythm. Add Brett Lee into the equation and they look a much more formiddable side for the last two tests.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Shame that the weather has ruined what possibly could have been a classic test match. If this was day four not day five then England could have been set 220-250 on a last day pitch, would have made for cracking drama!

If this was day four I'd be very worried TBH

I'm just worried that we've seen a poor Australian side in two test matches in a row and have only been able to win one of them. It appears that going into Headingley they've improved their batting (Watson for Hughes) and Johnson is just starting to find his rhythm. Add Brett Lee into the equation and they look a much more formiddable side for the last two tests.

Valid points, and it will not be easy to close this out.

My main hope is that in this innings the ball has not swung and Australia have been soley focussed on defence.

At Headingley where Australia will have to make the pace and the ball nearly always swings I would expect England to be more threatening.
We could do without bowling first on Friday though.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Aussies to get a 200+ run lead and stick England in for 20ish overs of full pace bowling.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Aussies lead by 169 with 35 overs to go (taking 2 out for change of innings).

Give England a target of 240 with 20 overs to say, you want to win, you bat at 12 an over (namely a rearguard action) and then who knows.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

bah, petering out now (hopefully). we'll have the joke bowlers on soon. :gatting:
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Bopara and Collingwood on. lol

Why not bowl Strauss and Cook as well. Oh and Ian Bell while we're at it :D
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Clarke caught off a no-ball. It's a draw.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

I think maybee the Aussies are starting to get their act together ...next Test should bee really interesting....:wave:
 

Ashes 3rd Test

If this was day four I'd be very worried TBH



Valid points, and it will not be easy to close this out.

My main hope is that in this innings the ball has not swung and Australia have been soley focussed on defence.

At Headingley where Australia will have to make the pace and the ball nearly always swings I would expect England to be more threatening.
We could do without bowling first on Friday though.

My concern is that Australia look like they can go up another gear, whilst England have been pretty consistent but i'm not sure whether they can get any better. If Australia have Johnson, Lee and Hilfenhaus all firing then I think they can do some damage against our middle order.

England are ahead in the series based on one innings, Australia's first innings at Lords where they were all out for 215 when they should have got 350-400. Apart from that I think both sides are pretty evenly matched although indivdually the Australian players have achieved the better personal feats, eg- more hundreds and more wickets.

If it swings at Headingley then surely Sidebottom comes into the equation and would be more of a threat than Harmison or Broad? Particularly with the way he bowls to left handers.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

My concern is that Australia look like they can go up another gear, whilst England have been pretty consistent but i'm not sure whether they can get any better. If Australia have Johnson, Lee and Hilfenhaus all firing then I think they can do some damage against our middle order.

I'm not sure I agree that England can't get better.

They've had nothing from Bopara all series and one knock in five from Cook.

The haven't had all five bowlers firing at once. Flintoff was not in the game this time round and Onions might as well have not been there at Lord's. Broad has been below-par with the ball throughout.

The one Australian who worries me at Headingley is Clark, but I don't suspect he'll play.

I've been telling everyone who'll listen (and there aren't many TBH) that Siddle is rubbish and thankfully Australia keep picking him and proving me right.

Even if Johnson continues to improve it'll be him and Hilfenhaus at Headingley and I fancy we can keep them at bay.
 

Ashes 3rd Test

Both sides have issues with the bowling. Would not be surprised to see two draws, but let's hope Brett Lee goes on a bender and is sent home tomorrow, then we can count some chickens.
 
Back
Top Bottom