Bob Booker

monkeymagic

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2008
Messages
479
Reaction score
1

Bob Booker

I'm due to catch up with Bob shortly, for the programme, and just wondered if anyone had any particular memories of his time at the club ?

It was a little bit before my time when he started playing so I'd be interested to get the view from the terrace.

Cheers
 

Bob Booker

I'm due to catch up with Bob shortly, for the programme, and just wondered if anyone had any particular memories of his time at the club ?

It was a little bit before my time when he started playing so I'd be interested to get the view from the terrace.

Cheers

Mr Play anywhere. So versatile. However, although signed twice, was best 1st time round.

Hat trick v Hull. Bees won 7-2. That's my initial memories. However, insufficient for a 2 or 3 page article!
 
Last edited:

Bob Booker

Mr Play anywhere. So versatile. However, although signed twice, was best 1st time round.

Hat trick via Hull. Bees won 7-2. That's my initial memories. However, insufficient for a 2 or 3 page article!

My first game!! Thanks to Bob for getting me hooked so young

.
 

Bob Booker

Just two words come to mind when you mention the name Bob Booker.

Hull City.
 

Bob Booker

Possibly the most wholehearted, honest player ever to pull on a Bees shirt.

Whichever walk of life we migt be in, Bob was a roel model for us all in working hard and honestly to make something of what might be a fairly limited talent.

Maybe not in my all time most talented Bees XI but definately in my all time favourites XI
 

Bob Booker

and we've signed a premiership player:fishing::rolleyes:
 

Bob Booker

Used to drive me to training every day. Cost me a bacon Butty, or a Number 1 Breakfast every Day..Great man with a Wicked sense of Humor..Spoke to him a couple of weeks ago and will be also meeting up with him in the near future for a beer..Top Man..:)
 

Bob Booker

The first time he played centre half in a defeat by Fulham - he was brilliant
 

Bob Booker

Was he really born within a short goal kick of Watford's ground?
 

Bob Booker

I'm due to catch up with Bob shortly, for the programme, and just wondered if anyone had any particular memories of his time at the club ?

It was a little bit before my time when he started playing so I'd be interested to get the view from the terrace.

Cheers

Bob had a stinker in a 3-4 home defeat by Bradford City with Frank Stapleton playing against him in centre midfield. Bob did not win a single header despite being at least 4 inches taller than Stapleton and on the deck......well Frank played for Arsenal and Man Utd and Bob played for us and Sheffield United!!!!

After the game I lost it with Martin Lange :mad1::beer::drinker::box:, telling him to get his chequebook out etc etc

We signed Detsi Kruzinkski and the rest is history.

Does Bob have any memories of this game and playing against Stapleton?
 

Bob Booker

I was at the Sheffield derby match when he made his last appearance for the Blades....he got a fantastic standing ovation from three sides of the ground.....oooh aaaah Bob Bookaaah :sorted:


On my honeymoon ( straight from Tranmere play off defeat :( ) in Portugal we were in a bar where i spotted several photos of Bob Booker around the bar. I spent the rest of the week chatting with the owners about Bob and Brentford and The Blades :romantic:
 

Bob Booker

Possibly the most wholehearted, honest player ever to pull on a Bees shirt.

Whichever walk of life we migt be in, Bob was a roel model for us all in working hard and honestly to make something of what might be a fairly limited talent.

Maybe not in my all time most talented Bees XI but definately in my all time favourites XI


Agreed......:sorted:
 

Bob Booker

Made a slow start and got a fair bit of stick from the crowd in his early games despite the Hull hat trick. As NLB says it was the Fulham game, when he had to drop into defence, which turned it around for him. I never thought he would have as good a career as he did but I was wrong!
 

Bob Booker

Not the most skilful, but simply an honest footballer who made the most of his talents and always gave his best. Top man :sorted:
 

Bob Booker

I always felt it was a shame when he signed for us second time as it weakened the fond memories. He was played in midfield which wasn't his best position and secondly, he was obviously crocked and never looked fit which is why, I assume, Sheff u let their hero go.
 

Bob Booker

was recently let go by brighton where he was a coach and asst manager too for a while - hope he has found a job?

maybe ask which of all the positions he played was (a) his favourite and (b) which he thought was his best? and possibly ask him about the various managers he played under for BFC ?
 

Bob Booker

maybe ask which of all the positions he played was (a) his favourite and (b) which he thought was his best? and possibly ask him about the various managers he played under for BFC ?
Yeah. Favourite meal, best film, what car he drives, favourite chick, that kind of thing :sorted:.
 

Bob Booker

My memories of Sir Bob: Nice man. Great servant to the club and I reckon there's more to come - we'll probably see him back again one day in some capacity. Rubbish at football. Could play in any position equally badly. Truly awful. But I love him :sorted:.
 

Bob Booker

My memories of Sir Bob: Nice man. Great servant to the club and I reckon there's more to come - we'll probably see him back again one day in some capacity. Rubbish at football. Could play in any position equally badly. Truly awful. But I love him :sorted:.

:nono: How many "rubbish players" do you know that score a hatrick and go on to earn a testimonial?
 

Bob Booker

A central midfield player at his best - vastly under-rated by many fans (and by Steve Perryman) but whose quality was recognised by Dave Bassett. He took him to Bramall Lane without a fee, where for several years he demonstrated his ability in the Premiership, and earned the justified admiration of the Blades. His ability and intelligence was plain to see from his debut at Vicarage Road, when standing in for the injured Andy McCulloch. The performace that sticks out in my memory though was in a victory at Fratton Park, after he converted from centre foward, via central defender, to central midfield.
 

Bob Booker

:nono: How many "rubbish players" do you know that score a hatrick and go on to earn a testimonial?
I don't mean to be rude about Bob. He's an absolute icon of Brentford Football Club. I love him and as I say, I'm sure, and hope, he'll be back in some capacity at some stage. But I'm trying to retain a little realism - that being that 110 percenter that he was, he wasn't very good at football.

Sure, he scored a hatrick against Hull of which I'll always have fond memories - the one that went in off his arse being my particular favourite. And indeed, having spent ten years fighting off bids from Liverpool, Arsenal, Barcelona and the like, he did go on to earn a testimonial. But I'm sorry, in my opinion anyone who says they were anything less than gobsmacked when Dave Bassett snapped him up for Premier League action, and likewise anyone who says they weren't just a tad disappointed when an announcement was made that we were to unveil our new 'Premier League star signing' and it turned out that it was just Bob coming home, isn't being entirely honest :D.
 

Bob Booker

I don't mean to be rude about Bob. He's an absolute icon of Brentford Football Club. I love him and as I say, I'm sure, and hope, he'll be back in some capacity at some stage. But I'm trying to retain a little realism - that being that 110 percenter that he was, he wasn't very good at football.

Sure, he scored a hatrick against Hull of which I'll always have fond memories - the one that went in off his arse being my particular favourite. And indeed, having spent ten years fighting off bids from Liverpool, Arsenal, Barcelona and the like, he did go on to earn a testimonial. But I'm sorry, in my opinion anyone who says they were anything less than gobsmacked when Dave Bassett snapped him up for Premier League action, and likewise anyone who says they weren't just a tad disappointed when an announcement was made that we were to unveil our new 'Premier League star signing' and it turned out that it was just Bob coming home, isn't being entirely honest :D.

As we know Dave Bassetts' teams always wanted to get the ball down and pass the other team off the pitch, like Arsenal do. He admired Bobs' technical brilliance. You forgot the bid from AC Milan that Lange turned down.
 

Bob Booker

Thanks everyone for your comments !
For the record , Bob has read them and seemed pretty chuffed with all the fond memories.
Much appreciated
 

Bob Booker

Thanks everyone for your comments !
For the record , Bob has read them and seemed pretty chuffed with all the fond memories.
Much appreciated

I knew a few good words about the ****a would get me a fry up and a beer when i come over..lol
 

Bob Booker

Thanks everyone for your comments !
For the record , Bob has read them and seemed pretty chuffed with all the fond memories.
Much appreciated

he scored a vital goal in one of the greatest ever bees games.......4-4 at donnie and we were 4-1 down:eek::eek:

the most chaos ive ever seen on a terrace when we equalised........you had to be there;):sorted:

other highlight was b$%7y F$%$in being carried out by four coppers with a leg and arm each:D:D "cheepskin, cheepskin, hang him hang him hang him"rofl
 

Bob Booker

Thanks everyone for your comments !
For the record , Bob has read them and seemed pretty chuffed with all the fond memories.
Much appreciated
Oh, did he? Um, oh, right. I hope he liked my joke about him not being very good at football? All joking aside, I always thought of him as the Pele of the lower leagues. Last person I'd want to play three and in with :yes:.
 

Bob Booker

Bump...

And will try and remember to do this every time we play Hull City/Tigers.

#seventwo
 

Bob Booker

I do understand that he's considered a bit of a legend but he was an ordinary footballer wasn't he? For me he was never a memorable player in any of the teams he played in.
 

Bob Booker

I was a big fan of his for the following reasons:
1) He wasn't skilled but gave me hope that if he could do it. maybe could I.
2) He never gave up
3) He was a smiley person
4) He would play absolutely anywhere
5) He became a First Division footballer. A Bees player! And then came back!
6) He scored a hattrick in almost the only home game I missed in 10 years, and I kept hoping that he would repeat it some day.
 

Bob Booker

Possibly the most wholehearted, honest player ever to pull on a Bees shirt.

Whichever walk of life we migt be in, Bob was a roel model for us all in working hard and honestly to make something of what might be a fairly limited talent.

Maybe not in my all time most talented Bees XI but definately in my all time favourites XI
Err I have Tommy Higginson and Peter Gelsons’ family on the phone
 

Bob Booker

I do understand that he's considered a bit of a legend but he was an ordinary footballer wasn't he? For me he was never a memorable player in any of the teams he played in.
Not memorable??? Insane.

But he wasn't brilliant, no.
 

Bob Booker

a legend and top man and 100 commitment. but not a great player.
 

Bob Booker

I remember his hat trick v Hull in the 7-2 win in the 79/80 season thinking we might have a decent striker on our hands but he never really lived up to that potential billing. A solid player who was very versatile and always gave 100% though.
 

Bob Booker

Didn't someone once write a book about him.....??......
?
 

Bob Booker

I do understand that he's considered a bit of a legend but he was an ordinary footballer wasn't he? For me he was never a memorable player in any of the teams he played in.
I think you will find that you are totally mistaken if you discussed Bob with any Sheffield United fan where he helped inspire their promotion from the third to the first division. He’s a hero first class there and will never be forgotten.

I accompanied him to a Blades game and the welcome he received brought goosebumps. They love him there.
 

Bob Booker

I think you will find that you are totally mistaken if you discussed Bob with any Sheffield United fan where he helped inspire their promotion from the third to the first division. He’s a hero first class there and will never be forgotten.

I accompanied him to a Blades game and the welcome he received brought goosebumps. They love him there.
I was thinking of Brentford teams only.

And before anyone wonders why I have suddenly piled in, I was following a post that was then deleted. I didn't suddenly decide to have a moan about Bob - thrown under the GPG bus!
 

Bob Booker

I guess he’s a cult hero, but I’m surprised he was chosen by Ian Westbrook as the cult hero. I’d have gone for Terry Evans or Lloyd Owusu.
 

Bob Booker

I was thinking of Brentford teams only.

And before anyone wonders why I have suddenly piled in, I was following a post that was then deleted. I didn't suddenly decide to have a moan about Bob - thrown under the GPG bus!

Sorry, Les. Here’s the original post from the BBC Brentford page yesterday. I deleted it before anyone had replied because I remembered my dear old ma’s admonishment, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

I’m still with John McEnroe on this.:

A05EE68F-22C6-4CDF-BD13-F952EBD35805.jpeg
 

Bob Booker

Sorry, Les. Here’s the original post from the BBC Brentford page yesterday. I deleted it before anyone had replied because I remembered my dear old ma’s admonishment, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

I’m still with John McEnroe on this.:

View attachment 37906
Honestly, no worries.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SH
Back
Top Bottom