Dango Ouattara

Dango Ouattara

So, to show he is a good sport, he is supposed to jump over the player here is he, despite the player's massively mistimed challenge preventing any chance of him getting to the ball?

View attachment 61732
Not at all, I totally agree the Brighton penalty was a penalty, as was the first Newcastle penalty not given. The newspaper article was misguided in relation to the specific Brighton incident, but I still agree with the crux of it, he overreacts when touched and it will, eventually, get him a reputation with referees.
 

Dango Ouattara

I thought Hackett was referring to the second Newcastle incident not last Saturday
 

Dango Ouattara

I'm wondering what the former referee expected him to do on Saturday. Jump over the player and not get a penalty? Maybe he should lend his advice to the Brighton head coach on how to avoid players giving away penalties. Not missing sliding tackles on wet surfaces would seem a good place to start.
I think Hackett should maybe just keep his advice to himself. The time since he was last a referee is longer than the amount of time he was actually a referee...

His suggestion from the second "exclusive" piece of drivel published by Football Insider about Dango:
1000027456.jpg
 

Dango Ouattara

Utter blx! Even the one (Liverpool) where he got booked for simulation was later determined to be a penalty.
This never happened, we were given a free kick which was upgraded to a penalty by VAR. He was never booked.
 

Dango Ouattara

Not at all, I totally agree the Brighton penalty was a penalty, as was the first Newcastle penalty not given. The newspaper article was misguided in relation to the specific Brighton incident, but I still agree with the crux of it, he overreacts when touched and it will, eventually, get him a reputation with referees.
There's a few worse in the league who've been at it for longer who don't have the reputation with referees
 

Dango Ouattara

He’s a potent weapon and is only going to get even better.

He just needs to temper his tendency not to fall over but to exaggerate his falls even when clearly clipped.
 

Dango Ouattara

I regularly piss other Bees fans off with how dispassionately I judge controversial scenarios involving our players (e.g. I still think Nørgaard at Everton last season was a red, even if Howard Webb doesn't), but for Hackett to somehow try and argue that Dango at Brighton wasn't a penalty is just laughable. Look at the speeds involved, look how much the defender impedes him without getting anywhere near the ball. It's such a stone waller that Sky Sports quite rightly didn't even bother looking at it on Ref Watch. As others have said, it just reads like a pathetic attempt at relevance.
 

Dango Ouattara

He’s a potent weapon and is only going to get even better.

He just needs to temper his tendency not to fall over but to exaggerate his falls even when clearly clipped.
Disagree, he needs to stay on his feet, drive on towards goal and create/score chances.
Ivan Toney was also very guilty of making the most of challenges. For the record I mostly loved the guy, but he used to back himself into defenders and then just throw himself forwards in an exaggerated manner. Yeah he won a lot of free kicks but he looked like a bellend.
 

Dango Ouattara

Disagree, he needs to stay on his feet, drive on towards goal and create/score chances.
Ivan Toney was also very guilty of making the most of challenges. For the record I mostly loved the guy, but he used to back himself into defenders and then just throw himself forwards in an exaggerated manner. Yeah he won a lot of free kicks but he looked like a bellend.
Totally agree. That's modern football now though.

35 years ago, 99% of British pro footballers first thought was to try and stay on their feet at all costs and get a shot off. They only went down if they couldn't physically stay on 2 feet.

Now, 99% of them have a default setting of going over as soon as they feel a clip or touch. I'm sure they're told to do it. Clayton Donaldson was an expert at it. Michael Owen also. Today's lot make it an art form.

i hate it. And yes, it looks poor when Dango goes over with points for artistic impression.
 

Dango Ouattara

Totally agree. That's modern football now though.

35 years ago, 99% of British pro footballers first thought was to try and stay on their feet at all costs and get a shot off. They only went down if they couldn't physically stay on 2 feet.

Now, 99% of them have a default setting of going over as soon as they feel a clip or touch. I'm sure they're told to do it. Clayton Donaldson was an expert at it. Michael Owen also. Today's lot make it an art form.

i hate it. And yes, it looks poor when Dango goes over with points for artistic impression.
35 years ago people were bemoaning the fact that players go down too easily when fouled. I'm not old enough to tell you if they were bemoaning the ease with which players went down 70 years ago, but I know where my money is.
 

Dango Ouattara

35 years ago people were bemoaning the fact that players go down too easily when fouled. I'm not old enough to tell you if they were bemoaning the ease with which players went down 70 years ago, but I know where my money is.
Were they though? There might have been the odd one of two players, but nothing more.

All you have to do it watch games back from the 80s (as I often do) to see the difference. Diving wasn't a problem then.
 

Dango Ouattara

Were they though? There might have been the odd one of two players, but nothing more.

All you have to do it watch games back from the 80s (as I often do) to see the difference. Diving wasn't a problem then.
Were they though? There might have been the odd one of two players, but nothing more.

All you have to do it watch games back from the 80s (as I often do) to see the difference. Diving wasn't a problem then.
Francis Lee ?
 

Dango Ouattara

Were they though? There might have been the odd one of two players, but nothing more.

All you have to do it watch games back from the 80s (as I often do) to see the difference. Diving wasn't a problem then.
Perhaps everything really was better back in the good old days, but I have my doubts. You talk about the golden age of 35 years ago (1990) but I'm remembering things like the hand of god goal of 1986, and don't accept that footballers trying to get away with cheating is anything new.
 

Dango Ouattara

I reckon we need to stop encouraging this narrative about DO.
I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that he's a "diver".
All this chatter will do is make it less likely that we get the decisions we should.
Let's move on.
Nothing more to see here.
 

Dango Ouattara

Perhaps everything really was better back in the good old days, but I have my doubts. You talk about the golden age of 35 years ago (1990) but I'm remembering things like the hand of god goal of 1986, and don't accept that footballers trying to get away with cheating is anything new.
Klinsmann!
 

Dango Ouattara

I regularly piss other Bees fans off with how dispassionately I judge controversial scenarios involving our players (e.g. I still think Nørgaard at Everton last season was a red, even if Howard Webb doesn't), but for Hackett to somehow try and argue that Dango at Brighton wasn't a penalty is just laughable. Look at the speeds involved, look how much the defender impedes him without getting anywhere near the ball. It's such a stone waller that Sky Sports quite rightly didn't even bother looking at it on Ref Watch. As others have said, it just reads like a pathetic attempt at relevance.
You are in the minority regarding the Norgaard incident ar Everton, no way was that a sending off, something i knew within the first 20 seconds, it was obvious. Yet the officials that day cocked up big time which was later confirmed as an incorrect decision to send Norgaard off when the red card was rescinded following appeal.
 

Dango Ouattara

More important is who's going to stand in for him during AFCON!
How far is Nunes in his recovery? Anyone watched him in any B-team games? Looking like he's going to be ready to start getting first team minutes?
 

Dango Ouattara

I regularly piss other Bees fans off with how dispassionately I judge controversial scenarios involving our players (e.g. I still think Nørgaard at Everton last season was a red, even if Howard Webb doesn't), but for Hackett to somehow try and argue that Dango at Brighton wasn't a penalty is just laughable. Look at the speeds involved, look how much the defender impedes him without getting anywhere near the ball. It's such a stone waller that Sky Sports quite rightly didn't even bother looking at it on Ref Watch. As others have said, it just reads like a pathetic attempt at relevance.
Still not forgiven him for Chester away at Sealand Road , the ****
 

Dango Ouattara

Perhaps everything really was better back in the good old days, but I have my doubts. You talk about the golden age of 35 years ago (1990) but I'm remembering things like the hand of god goal of 1986, and don't accept that footballers trying to get away with cheating is anything new.
You are right to have doubts! Things were not better back in the old days. The game has changed massively since those days. Dirty play was not just acceptable it was positively encouraged. The game for most parts of the season was played in thick mud and players were equipped to cope with mud and rough play. These days the emphasis is on skill and played on pitches that in most case resemble a bowling green. Players these days do not wear big strong boots but light weight shoes more suitable to produce a faster more skilful game. The days of Chopper Harris, Jack Charlton and our own Terry Hurlock, and many others are gone for ever. Why should a skilled forward attempting to find a way thought a packed defence have his heels clipped from behind be expected to carry on whilst unbalanced. If he is fouled then he is entitled to be awarded a foul by the referee, if to get that foul he has to go to deck then so be it. It is wrong to simulate a foul but there is no requirement to remain on your feet if an offence has been committed.
 

Dango Ouattara

Disagree, he needs to stay on his feet, drive on towards goal and create/score chances.
Ivan Toney was also very guilty of making the most of challenges. For the record I mostly loved the guy, but he used to back himself into defenders and then just throw himself forwards in an exaggerated manner. Yeah he won a lot of free kicks but he looked like a bellend.
Winning a penalty is creating a goal scoring chance
 

Dango Ouattara

It would help if referees gave fouls in the box when a player doesn't fall but they rarely do.
This is what I mentioned earlier. There’s rarely any reward for staying ‘honest’ as it were.

In the Marseille Newcastle game, the defender tangled legs with Aubameyang who still tried to play on despite being taken down. He missed the target. If they hadn’t won, every fan would’ve asked why didn’t he go down and ‘win’ the pen.

More importantly than whether he dives or not, I’m hoping soon Dango will hit that next level. I still feel he’s in the phase of promising to be mustard. Clearly got what it takes, just need a bit more end product
 

Dango Ouattara

You are right to have doubts! Things were not better back in the old days. The game has changed massively since those days. Dirty play was not just acceptable it was positively encouraged. The game for most parts of the season was played in thick mud and players were equipped to cope with mud and rough play. These days the emphasis is on skill and played on pitches that in most case resemble a bowling green. Players these days do not wear big strong boots but light weight shoes more suitable to produce a faster more skilful game. The days of Chopper Harris, Jack Charlton and our own Terry Hurlock, and many others are gone for ever. Why should a skilled forward attempting to find a way thought a packed defence have his heels clipped from behind be expected to carry on whilst unbalanced. If he is fouled then he is entitled to be awarded a foul by the referee, if to get that foul he has to go to deck then so be it. It is wrong to simulate a foul but there is no requirement to remain on your feet if an offence has been committed.
Sir Stanley Matthews used to have his own boots made which were quoted as being.more like slippers. If I recall correctly they only lasted a couple of matches.
 

Dango Ouattara

Keith Hackett has an issue. He can't get it up anymore and he takes it out on Outtra!
 

Dango Ouattara

Still not forgiven him for Chester away at Sealand Road , the ****

Was that the occasion in about 1988 when Keith Jones (I think) was clearly pulled down in the area and the ref waved play on to howls of absolute disgust from the 100 or so Bees in the away end?
 

Dango Ouattara

Was that the occasion in about 1988 when Keith Jones (I think) was clearly pulled down in the area and the ref waved play on to howls of absolute disgust from the 100 or so Bees in the away end?
yes but wasn't a bad turnout so nearer 300 iirc
 

Dango Ouattara

I reckon we need to stop encouraging this narrative about DO.
I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that he's a "diver".
All this chatter will do is make it less likely that we get the decisions we should.
Let's move on.
Nothing more to see here.


And some people need to get off their holier than now moral high horses too. Diving is at pandemic levels in pro football and we have had more given against us. Let’s not hang our own player out for making the most of it, not diving, but making sure.
 

Dango Ouattara

And some people need to get off their holier than now moral high horses too. Diving is at pandemic levels in pro football and we have had more given against us. Let’s not hang our own player out for making the most of it, not diving, but making sure.
Dango certainly did'nt dive against Newcastle.Burn was resigned to the first penalty for which Dango was booked,let alone the second.There were no protests from Burn.
 

Dango Ouattara

When does he go to AFCON? Do we have him v Leeds?
 

Dango Ouattara

When does he go to AFCON? Do we have him v Leeds?
AFCON starts the Sunday after Leeds, but no idea if they are having a warm up game prior, but still he may not be involved in that.

I think Man Utd asked for Bryan to miss Cameroon's warm up game so he could play on the weekend of the 13/14th.
 

Dango Ouattara

AFCON starts the Sunday after Leeds, but no idea if they are having a warm up game prior, but still he may not be involved in that.

I think Man Utd asked for Bryan to miss Cameroon's warm up game so he could play on the weekend of the 13/14th.

Thanks. I hope we will be doing the same
 
Back
Top Bottom