David Raya

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Raya

Thought I had read on here that he would qualify under some rule or another? Hadn’t delved deep enough to know whether it’s correct or not! #lazyposting
Yes, he can play for either.
 

David Raya

Time to revisit this post from August!
I still dont think you can say hes the best in Premiership. He is having one hell of a season. But best goalkeeper in the premier league is a gigantic claim and we are all biased towards Brentford players.

Im sure most other clubs fans say the same about their keepers.

Maybe not Arsenal!
 

David Raya

Great game yesterday he has stepped up a level in the prem. If Ramsdale is worth 30M what is Raya's value now.
 

David Raya

Thought I had read on here that he would qualify under some rule or another? Hadn’t delved deep enough to know whether it’s correct or not! #lazyposting
Pretty sure he’s been here long enough to qualify for England and until you play a competitive full international for a country you can choose to play for any where you are eligible
 

David Raya

Brilliant performance yesterday, it had absolutely everything.

There was a moment in the first half when we won a FK (it may have actually been for the goal now I think of it), where he sprinted over to the bench and was in heated discussion with one of the coaching staff. It looked as though he was pointing out that Ivan and Bryan should look to split when he received ball, but either way it showed to me he has tactical awareness and wants to help influence the team and how we win games.

I'd love to know what he did say, just to see how much of an impact it had on things, because Ivan and Bryan did cause so many issues.
 

David Raya

Good piece on him in Saturday's Times......
 

David Raya

I think Raya could probably have been a starting CDM for us most seasons until about 2010!
 

David Raya

From today's Times:

"Last season Raya played over 300 passes more than any other Sky Bet Championship goalkeeper, and this season he leads all Premier League goalkeepers in total passes, passes into the opposition half, and passes into the final third."

Maybe klopp is right and we should give raya the #10 shirt. Another piece of brentfords evolution of football
 

David Raya

Maybe klopp is right and we should give raya the #10 shirt. Another piece of brentfords evolution of football

Rush goalie in the PL… I’m liking your thinking ?
 

David Raya

Rush goalie in the PL… I’m liking your thinking ?
Ajer and Henry to cover? (Pontus is already up in the opposition goal area and Ethan’s ready for any throw in…)
What percentage of long range shots/hoofs actually go into an unguarded goal? Not many I think, otherwise successful ones wouldn’t be newsworthy.
I’d make it a (0)-1-3-5-2 formation…
 

David Raya

Luke Daniels save against Leeds was perhaps even better and Button and szczęsny made some amazing saves. Definitely top 5.
forgot the Daniels one and yeah up there with Button away at norwich.
 

David Raya

Thought I had read on here that he would qualify under some rule or another? Hadn’t delved deep enough to know whether it’s correct or not! #lazyposting
I do believe that you are correct. He was just 16 when he went to Blackburn so at 26 now he qualifies by residency. The problem is I think we have been here before with an Italian GK who played for I think Chelsea, who's name I cannot remember, but from memory I think England have their own criteria and will not select someone who is not English as such. That is my understanding, however, the England team could certainly do with him as I am sure he could add quality to that team.
 

David Raya

I do believe that you are correct. He was just 16 when he went to Blackburn so at 26 now he qualifies by residency. The problem is I think we have been here before with an Italian GK who played for I think Chelsea, who's name I cannot remember, but from memory I think England have their own criteria and will not select someone who is not English as such. That is my understanding, however, the England team could certainly do with him as I am sure he could add quality to that team.
Cudicini?
 

David Raya

I do believe that you are correct. He was just 16 when he went to Blackburn so at 26 now he qualifies by residency. The problem is I think we have been here before with an Italian GK who played for I think Chelsea, who's name I cannot remember, but from memory I think England have their own criteria and will not select someone who is not English as such. That is my understanding, however, the England team could certainly do with him as I am sure he could add quality to that team.
To reply to my own post! the Goal Keeper in question was Carlo Cudicini, however, his Wikipedia page explores the same question and he was found not to be eligible because FIFA stated at that time the he was required to hold a British Passport, and to have received 5 years British Education before the age of 16, thus he was precluded from representing England. If these regulations still apply then any call for Raya for England is dead in the water.
 

David Raya

To reply to my own post! the Goal Keeper in question was Carlo Cudicini, however, his Wikipedia page explores the same question and he was found not to be eligible because FIFA stated at that time the he was required to hold a British Passport, and to have received 5 years British Education before the age of 16, thus he was precluded from representing England. If these regulations still apply then any call for Raya for England is dead in the water.
Never heard of that rule, definitely isn't the case now.
I thought at the time Cudicini was just holding out for an Italy call up
 

David Raya

Never heard of that rule, definitely isn't the case now.
I thought at the time Cudicini was just holding out for an Italy call up
It was widely reported back in the day that the England manager (can’t recall which one) wanted Bruce Grobelaar to play for England but he had once turned out for Zimbabwe in a qualifying game and hence could not.
 

David Raya

Never heard of that rule, definitely isn't the case now.
I thought at the time Cudicini was just holding out for an Italy call up
You may well be correct, however, I cannot recall any recent change, but that of course does not mean that there has not been a change. There are of course other paths open that will permit a player to play for another country other than his birth country, for example Grand parents etc. Cudicini was the example precisely because he want to play for England, hence probably why there is a mention of the case on his Wiki page. David Raya is a very similar example. The 5 years does have a ring of truth about it as it does cover the frequent case of a player who is essentially English having been brought into the country as a child, but was born abroad.
 

David Raya

Good piece on him in Saturday's Times......

From today's Times:

"Last season Raya played over 300 passes more than any other Sky Bet Championship goalkeeper, and this season he leads all Premier League goalkeepers in total passes, passes into the opposition half, and passes into the final third."

good read
after your posts

 

David Raya

My brother (WH season ticket holder) wished they had Raya as Fabianski is so panicky under pressure and poor at distrubution
 

David Raya

My brother (WH season ticket holder) wished they had Raya as Fabianski is so panicky under pressure and poor at distrubution
I bet they do, plus half the Premier League! If he carries on like this he will be worth a small fortune at the end of the season, and we have the replacement already on our books.
 

David Raya

I bet they do, plus half the Premier League! If he carries on like this he will be worth a small fortune at the end of the season, and we have the replacement already on our books.

I can’t think of two many keepers in the world, let alone the PL who I would swap Raya for.

Off the top of my head, only around five spring to mind…
 

David Raya

I can’t think of two many keepers in the world, let alone the PL who I would swap Raya for.

Off the top of my head, only around five spring to mind…
I always remind myself that we always replace with better. In this event though, we do need to remember that he has not gone yet, even if the vultures are hovering!
 

David Raya

Bloke in goal yesterday - who I'd never heard of - quickly threw out a long ball to Grealish who scored. Reminded me of Raya's distribution a bit.

Sam Johnstone. Very good keeper, to be fair. Far too good for the Championship
 

David Raya

Anyone else a little surprised at the ease in which he discusses in match tactics? ?

I'm sure it's not overly difficult to see in videos etc when scouting us, but I still find it a little odd to so openly discuss individual player movements!
 

David Raya

Anyone else a little surprised at the ease in which he discusses in match tactics? ?

I'm sure it's not overly difficult to see in videos etc when scouting us, but I still find it a little odd to so openly discuss individual player movements!
Any Bees fan who's been at a game will know, plus it doesn't take too long on YouTube as an amateur watcher to be able to see that happening in our game. All PL (and Championship) clubs have detailed analytics departments, so I don't think he's giving anything away unless you're not actually looking.
 

David Raya

I am happy at the club. I want to have a good season this year. In summer we will see what happens. My ambitions are great, I would like to play at the top. You always want to play for big clubs.
 

David Raya

Any Bees fan who's been at a game will know, plus it doesn't take too long on YouTube as an amateur watcher to be able to see that happening in our game. All PL (and Championship) clubs have detailed analytics departments, so I don't think he's giving anything away unless you're not actually looking.
We certainly all see the movement for the back 5 outfield players he describes but I’m not sure we’d describe it as having Raya intentionally become part of a back four even though he does come out a long way. That’s beyond “sweeper keeper”!
 

David Raya

I am happy at the club. I want to have a good season this year. In summer we will see what happens. My ambitions are great, I would like to play at the top. You always want to play for big clubs.
Surely he does?
 

David Raya

Needs to play out the rest of the season like has played so far.

If he does then he will have earned a move to an established competitor of European competitions, and the kind of contract that goes along with that.

Maintaining the levels of focus and form shown so far would go beyond even my expectations though, and I am a massive fan.
 

David Raya

Three years would be a good stint at the club and he will have earned a big move. Good for him and good for us too if we can get at least 6x what we paid for him as well as having a replacement in the house.

Shock horror though - maybe he will decide that we can also meet his ambitions.
 

David Raya

Three years would be a good stint at the club and he will have earned a big move. Good for him and good for us too if we can get at least 6x what we paid for him as well as having a replacement in the house.

Shock horror though - maybe he will decide that we can also meet his ambitions.
It’ll be an interesting test of our business model if we become so good that players prefer to stay rather than move on at the point we could make the planned return on them. The ambition has been for us to be able to recruit, develop and sell on while improving overall and the buying clubs to be higher up (cf Grey, Tarkowski, Hogan to Championship, then selling Maupay, Watkins to low PL, then going to a point where top 4 PL clubs are the market).

But that restricts our market a lot even if the sale prices rise. Do the spoils of high league finishes, cup runs and maybe European qualification give us enough to be able to afford to hold and renew contracts of our best while still having a pipeline of talent? Maybe this is now the problem Leicester and Southampton have. Certainly a nice problem to have if we get there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom