David Raya

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Raya

Is there a better goalkeeper in the Premier League? Perhaps I'm biased, but I genuinely don't think so. The question is how many of the massive super-clubs are currently looking to replace/improve in this department? Tottenham probably, Manchester United perhaps, Chelsea maybe. Probably not Liverpool or Manchester City, but you never know. Overseas - I have to confess I have no idea about how good the keepers are at PSG, Madrid, Barcelona, Munich, Milan or Juve, but those would be the options, I suppose. It won't be a long list of possible suitors, but they mostly have deep pockets and if there's competition, who knows? And if the price is too low, we can always keep him for another year, although I doubt this will happen.

It will be sad to see him go. By a distance the best keeper in my time watching the Bees. (Though I missed the Szczesny loan.)
Agree with everything you say. Depends on how you define best. Certainly, I can't think of another goalkeeper who is so consistent across all areas. You only had to watch Alisson against Utd to know footwork isn't his strong point (although I don't see him week in week out of course). Though there are some who question David's catching from what I read. Personally, I'd actually like him to aim higher than Spurs. I just think he's better Than that. If players do leave, I hope they leave for greater things.

Will be interesting to see how many come knocking. Actually think it might only be a couple. Perhaps overseas still see us as too small to notice (though Woodgate went to Madrid, so?).

The adjustment will be huge for us. Some might say I'm overblowing it, but I do hope we're prepared for a period of adaptation which could potentially be a bit painful next season).
 

David Raya

Is there a better goalkeeper in the Premier League?
Of 'keepers who've played more than once, WhoScored rates Leno marginally higher – 7.00 vs. 6.97, just above Allison and Martinez. Pickford and Pope are 14th and 15th, with Ramsdale 16th.
 

David Raya

TF said it in a presser, he's not going to say, "Sure, take him for £20mill", but also think he was heavily inflating it for those listening, just in case.

The press & media now seem to be running that as our asking price, so maybe it's worked, but I don't believe any club looks at the circumstances and offers that.
Chelsea just bought Mudryk for £80 odd million.. Some clubs will still just pay whatever to get their man..
 

David Raya

Agree with everything you say. Depends on how you define best. Certainly, I can't think of another goalkeeper who is so consistent across all areas. You only had to watch Alisson against Utd to know footwork isn't his strong point (although I don't see him week in week out of course). Though there are some who question David's catching from what I read. Personally, I'd actually like him to aim higher than Spurs. I just think he's better Than that. If players do leave, I hope they leave for greater things.

Will be interesting to see how many come knocking. Actually think it might only be a couple. Perhaps overseas still see us as too small to notice (though Woodgate went to Madrid, so?).

The adjustment will be huge for us. Some might say I'm overblowing it, but I do hope we're prepared for a period of adaptation which could potentially be a bit painful next season).
We always replace with better!
 

David Raya

Next season we will struggle without him the best GK we’ve had in my 36 years of going
You must have been away when Wojciech was playing then. He will never be topped. ;)

​

 

David Raya

He will go and we will modify our play, in the same way we did when our top attackers left. He’s a great goalkeeper but no one is bigger than the team.
Agreed.

Brentford will go into free fall if Said Benrahma leaves.
Brentford will go into free fall if Ollie Watkins leaves.
Brentford will go into free fall if Andre Gray leaves.
Brentford will go into free fall if Christian Iscariot leaves.
Brentford will go into free fall if Neal Maupay leaves.
Brentford will go into free fall if Ivan Toney leaves.
Brentford will go into fee fall if Lasse Vibe leaves.
Brentford will go into fee fall if David Raya leaves.
Brentford will go into free fall if Saman Ghoddos leave.

etc. etc. etc.

A pattern has emerged.
 

David Raya

Or play in premier league
 

David Raya

Murray Jones for Dean Holdsworth anybody?
That was before the present regime, when clowns were in charge. Unfortunately I remember it well. Perhaps I am already dead and this is a parallel universe, it might just as well be because I often think all this just cannot be true. I will probably find out when I tune in on Saturday that instead of Wolves we are playing in the 2nd Division away to Chester in a religation 6 pointer!! Time I went to bed.
 

David Raya

That was before the present regime, when clowns were in charge. Unfortunately I remember it well. Perhaps I am already dead and this is a parallel universe, it might just as well be because I often think all this just cannot be true. I will probably find out when I tune in on Saturday that instead of Wolves we are playing in the 2nd Division away to Chester in a religation 6 pointer!! Time I went to bed.
Wait til you find out you volunteered to Walk to Wycombe.
 

David Raya

Replacing Raya with as good or better will be a challenge. I guess the question is whether recruiting as a Premier League team is more difficult than when we were in the EFL. Of course the lure of the Prem, the best league in the world, cannot be under-estimated but it gets harder to keep our transfer intentions under wraps without some Brentford wannabees in the EPL latching on offering double the wages we can. I trust Phil and I trust our model implicitly but it does get more difficult and more risky as we evolve.
 

David Raya

He's good but not 'Superman'.
Cash in ASAP.
I think he's been 'advertised' for long enough that there should be a number of Champions League clubs in the running for him. Competition will raise the stakes.
 

David Raya

To be honest I am a bit fed up of hearing where he wants to go and champions league stuff. I’ve no problem with players showing ambition but he’s a Brentford player and is in the premier league playing for us. Why can’t he just keep quiet and see what will be. Can’t imagine Christian Nørgaard going on like this. Hope it’s agent and paper speculation but find it a bit disappointing .
 

David Raya

Have thought it for a while but am really starting to think that the reason we're hearing so much about where he wants to go is his agent working overtime to keep his name out there as maybe, just maybe, the move they want isn't quite there? Spurs seem to be looking at every keeper, Chelsea seem happy with enough with Kepa again, De Gea making noise he's happy to sign on at Utd for less wages than he's currently on. Clubs in Europe that can afford what we seemingly want for him don't really need a keeper (Bayern, PSG, Real, Barca all sorted)

Could be an interesting summer for David and us.
 

David Raya

Have thought it for a while but am really starting to think that the reason we're hearing so much about where he wants to go is his agent working overtime to keep his name out there as maybe, just maybe, the move they want isn't quite there? Spurs seem to be looking at every keeper, Chelsea seem happy with enough with Kepa again, De Gea making noise he's happy to sign on at Utd for less wages than he's currently on. Clubs in Europe that can afford what we seemingly want for him don't really need a keeper (Bayern, PSG, Real, Barca all sorted)

Could be an interesting summer for David and us.
Could be our agent! Just as important to us to sell at a good price this Summer.
 

David Raya

To be honest I am a bit fed up of hearing where he wants to go and champions league stuff. I’ve no problem with players showing ambition but he’s a Brentford player and is in the premier league playing for us. Why can’t he just keep quiet and see what will be. Can’t imagine Christian Nørgaard going on like this. Hope it’s agent and paper speculation but find it a bit disappointing .
I actually rightly or wrongly feel exactly the same as you. I'm hesitant to criticise the player at all because he's probably just being touted around by a 'proactive' agent and now we're PL I suppose we attract more clickbait news articles these days.
David's talked openly about his European football ambitions quite openly in interviews I suppose.

My personal feeling on it is he's achieved Spanish National Team recognition with us and is our undisputed No.1 if he goes to a 'Big club' it's a different type of pressure. A few errors early in his tenure with them and suddenly you're no longer a No.1 and bang goes your International call-ups & you're bench warming.

Of course Raya would back himself to hold down a spot and the financial rewards would be ample but all that glitters is not gold.......no one could deny though he's one of the finest custodians the Club has ever had and he's written indelibly into our history.
 

David Raya

Could be our agent! Just as important to us to sell at a good price this Summer.
Is it? At which point do we need to start retaining talent to keep our place in the PL? Phil Giles alluded to this recently. I still think Raya will go though.
 

David Raya

Could be our agent! Just as important to us to sell at a good price this Summer.
I'd have thought it was actively in our interest to 'promote' David as the Club knows full well he won't sign a new contract and selling him for £20-£40M as opposed to Zero will make a big difference to our finances.
 

David Raya

It’s more a question of ‘where’ rather than ‘if ’ now. Story trotted out again in the Metro this morning.
True just took a quite scan through headlines and it's everywhere. Chelsea and Spurs are unknowns given they will have new managers who might not see Raya as the preferred option. Also looks like De Gea getting closer to an agreement with a pay cut. Who does that leave in the EPL? Newcastle? Villa if Martinez continues to be a dickhead?
 

David Raya

personally with us now being safe, I would play both Strakosha and Cox in a couple of the home games to come, so we know if we need to invest or if they can fill the David size whole we are about to have
 

David Raya

Is it? At which point do we need to start retaining talent to keep our place in the PL? Phil Giles alluded to this recently. I still think Raya will go though.
We need to retain long enough to get both a good return on the pitch and on sale. We’ve not sold anyone of note since promotion. Anyone who’s a regular starter and leaves on a free will cost £20-30m now to replace at like for like level and we don’t have the luxury of spending that on more than 2-3 every season if there are no sizeable sales.
 

David Raya

personally with us now being safe, I would play both Strakosha and Cox in a couple of the home games to come, so we know if we need to invest or if they can fill the David size whole we are about to have
With something like £1.5M per place in the table, there's always something to play for.
 

David Raya

With something like £1.5M per place in the table, there's always something to play for.
Isn’t it more like £3.5m? The difference between 8th and 12th is a new starting first teamer!
 

David Raya

Isn’t it more like £3.5m? The difference between 8th and 12th is a new starting first teamer!
Banana had past years' figures in a thread somewhere. I thought it was around £1.5M. Anyway, it's not an insubstantial sum.
 

David Raya

True just took a quite scan through headlines and it's everywhere. Chelsea and Spurs are unknowns given they will have new managers who might not see Raya as the preferred option. Also looks like De Gea getting closer to an agreement with a pay cut. Who does that leave in the EPL? Newcastle? Villa if Martinez continues to be a dickhead?
Chelsea have been linked with Dortmund's Gregor Kober.....6'4'', 25 yrs old and will probably dislodge Yann Sommer as the Swiss national keeper soon.

Cost 15m Euros in 2021 and has 3 yrs remaining on his deal.

I have a feeling that if N'castle make top 4 they'll be looking to enhance their keeper options and David would probably be easier to land than Pickford, even if the Toffees get relegated.
 

David Raya

Is it? At which point do we need to start retaining talent to keep our place in the PL? Phil Giles alluded to this recently. I still think Raya will go though.
If we do not sell at a good price this summer he will walk for free next. Should we not get the price it may be worth allowing David to run his contract down.
 

David Raya

I'd have thought it was actively in our interest to 'promote' David as the Club knows full well he won't sign a new contract and selling him for £20-£40M as opposed to Zero will make a big difference to our finances.
Is that not exactly what I have just said?
 

David Raya

If we do not sell at a good price this summer he will walk for free next. Should we not get the price it may be worth allowing David to run his contract down.
If we’re not getting a good enough price at a point where at least 2 top 6 clubs will be looking seriously at a long term number one keeper, Raya is not going to get the sort of move he cherishes. In that case we’re in a somewhat improved position to extend him. In reality that would be a surprise as Raya is not below the radar and is rated highly enough to have displaced De Gea from the Spain squad.
 

David Raya

His price may have just gone up after that pass out from De Gea :ROFLMAO:
 

David Raya

This is getting more difficult though !
It may seem like that, but I see it the other way around There are extremely limited chances to play in the Premier League. There are only 20 spots for starting goalkeepers. There will be a queue of players who want to play first choice in the division. That means the talent pool for us is very wide.

On the flip side, no Goalkeeper wants to be a bench warmer in the premier league. They'll look for opportunities to prove themselves in other European divisions/Championship. This is why the Alvaro Fernandez situation looked bad, and Raya seems irrelplaceable - the truth of is though is that there's often a gulf between a club's first choice and second.

So when we're in the market, it might seem like it's a risk and could get a Fernandez, but we're more likely to get a Raya.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PLE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom