Lofty ambitions

ziggys_human

Active member
Joined
30 Jan 2022
Messages
1,256
Reaction score
1,731
Location
Surrey

Lofty ambitions

Where will this season's journey end?
We have a lot of hard fixtures remaining and to finish 7th, IMO, would be a tough, tough ask.
Over the previous 8 seasons the average points of the 7th placed finisher has been 59.
After our Leicester draw, we are 17 short with 11 to play.
Probably need at least 5 wins, that I struggle to see from the sides we have to face.
But this is the PL and anything can, and does, happen.
Only the wheels falling off completely would see us lower than 11th.
In truth, a European tour might do us more harm than good.
Thoughts?
 

Lofty ambitions

Where will this season's journey end?
We have a lot of hard fixtures remaining and to finish 7th, IMO, would be a tough, tough ask.
Over the previous 8 seasons the average points of the 7th placed finisher has been 59.
After our Leicester draw, we are 17 short with 11 to play.
Probably need at least 5 wins, that I struggle to see from the sides we have to face.
But this is the PL and anything can, and does, happen.
Only the wheels falling off completely would see us lower than 11th.
In truth, a European tour might do us more harm than good.
Thoughts?
Agree it will be tough. In saying that we generally seem to play better against teams above us than below us. I feel a European may be a step too far this season. But will happily take 7th spot if we manage it as I’m sure most of us would. Brilliant season so far TBH.
 

Lofty ambitions

From here I would love us to keep our defeats below 8, and where that leaves us in the table we shall see.

I think that would be a massive achievement for the players and club, giving us something to really build on next season and turn some of those draws into wins.

Either way, what a season it has been and one I don't really want to end!

Still a few more twists and turns to come, let's have it!
 

Lofty ambitions

Keep on gathering points at the same rate as we have been - get to 59 points

Tough ask. Realistically I see us finishing 8th which in itself is incredible
 

Lofty ambitions

Just need another twelve game unbeaten run. Three wins seven draws and we can even live with City taking the title on the last day!
 

Lofty ambitions

Top 9 finish i think should be more than likely, but absolutely praying for 7th
 

Lofty ambitions

We have a tough run in to end of season, made even tougher if as anticipated we lose Ivan Toney due to suspension. Can't see more than 9 points, on that basis 10th place. If we achieve more points then 9th achievable by finishing above Fulham and Villa.
 

Lofty ambitions

We have a tough run in to end of season, made even tougher if as anticipated we lose Ivan Toney due to suspension. Can't see more than 9 points, on that basis 10th place. If we achieve more points then 9th achievable by finishing above Fulham and Villa.
some say tough run in, others say an opportunity to take points of those around us. Based off this season we are better against the top sides anyway!!
 

Lofty ambitions

To be honest I think that in the past 2 games against southampton and leicster are sqaud have looked tired . I think that the depth of sqaud we have compared to teams around us isn’t as good . I think it would be a tough ask to finish in a European spot . However you never know .
 

Lofty ambitions

Can't see more than 9 points,
The reverse fixtures of the games we’ve got left resulted in 19 points. I think you’re selling the team a bit short with a prediction of 9 points.

We’ve shown that we can play well without Ivan. Bryan and Wissa both scored when they started together against Forest and Liverpool.

We’re taking 1.55 points per match this season. That averages 59 over the season and I’m happy to go with that.
 

Lofty ambitions

To be honest I think that in the past 2 games against southampton and leicster are sqaud have looked tired . I think that the depth of sqaud we have compared to teams around us isn’t as good . I think it would be a tough ask to finish in a European spot . However you never know .
Think we will finish 8
 

Lofty ambitions

The reverse fixtures of the games we’ve got left resulted in 19 points. I think you’re selling the team a bit short with a prediction of 9 points.

We’ve shown that we can play well without Ivan. Bryan and Wissa both scored when they started together against Forest and Liverpool.

We’re taking 1.55 points per match this season. That averages 59 over the season and I’m happy to go with that.
Would be fanastic to achieve that points total which would probably secure 7th place and possibly a European tour ?
 

Lofty ambitions

Would be fanastic to achieve that points total which would probably secure 7th place and possibly a European tour ?
It does feel like our better performances have been against teams above us/ expected to finish above us.

Reckon we’ll go with 5-3-2 against Brighton/ Man Utd/ Newcastle/ Spurs/ Chelsea/ Liverpool/ Man City and a front 2 of Mbeumo and Wissa is more than capable of causing massive problems.

We have looked tired in the last 3 games at various points but a break now will be good for lots of the squad.
 

Lofty ambitions

Where will this season's journey end?
We have a lot of hard fixtures remaining and to finish 7th, IMO, would be a tough, tough ask.
Over the previous 8 seasons the average points of the 7th placed finisher has been 59.
After our Leicester draw, we are 17 short with 11 to play.
Probably need at least 5 wins, that I struggle to see from the sides we have to face.
But this is the PL and anything can, and does, happen.
Only the wheels falling off completely would see us lower than 11th.
In truth, a European tour might do us more harm than good.
Thoughts?
I was more confident before yesterday of getting a win against Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Brighton, Chelsea and Newcastle than i was of us beating Leicester.

Spurs are another boggy side but if are on our game...

We always raise our game against the big sides, so i remain positive
 

Lofty ambitions

Really hope you are right, but struggling to see us finishing above Chelsea and Brighton. But I would still be delighted with 10th.
Would say we are a better side than Fulham, have been better than Chelsea this season but they obviously have a superior squad, and are slightly worse than Brighton. Brighton game on the 1st could be massive!
 

Lofty ambitions

I can see us getting as many as 59.... but this is a tough season to get top 7 with the rise of Newcastle, and Brighton also doing well. last year Man U got 6th with 58 but can't see that happening again.

Chelsea have had an awful time so that's one fewer team but there's no guarantee they won't get their act together.

I think we'll claim some more good results and come 8th which would be a great achievement and there's always next season for hitting greater heights.
 

Lofty ambitions

Would say we are a better side than Fulham, have been better than Chelsea this season but they obviously have a superior squad, and are slightly worse than Brighton. Brighton game on the 1st could be massive!
Every game is massive now. Maximum points needed. Especially from the ones at home. All 4 stands will play a massive part in getting us across the line and us as fans can't have any more off days, same with the players.
 

Lofty ambitions

I’ll optimistically say 9th. Ahead of Fulham, but behind Chelsea. I think Villa might finish ahead of us and Fulham. Tough fixtures coming up and who knows how many games Ivan is available. Europe would be incredible but it seems very unlikely. This is a good opportunity to get Schade, Ajer, Damsgaard some first team minutes they need.
 

Lofty ambitions

Champions league or nothing as far as I’m concerned.

I hope we finish eighth, and Fulham ninth. I think it’s too soon for a European campaign. The squad depth would need to increase massively for us to compete and I think it would be a huge distraction. You only need to look at the effect on West Ham and Leicester this season to see what could happen if you’re playing Thursday, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday, etc.

I have dreamed of playing a competitive game abroad for donkeys years, but the timing has to be right.
 

Lofty ambitions

Our fixtures are actually pretty tough from here and the IT looming ban could make things difficult. With a resurgent Chelsea and Villa hot on our tails, i'd say if we can finish 9th or above.... it would be some achievement.
 

Lofty ambitions

Champions league or nothing as far as I’m concerned.

I hope we finish eighth, and Fulham ninth. I think it’s too soon for a European campaign. The squad depth would need to increase massively for us to compete and I think it would be a huge distraction. You only need to look at the effect on West Ham and Leicester this season to see what could happen if you’re playing Thursday, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday, etc.

I have dreamed of playing a competitive game abroad for donkeys years, but the timing has to be right.
I'm with you. Our failed promotion seasons of 2013 and 2020, then success the following year, should have taught us that we aren't always as ready as we think we are.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to finish 6th or 7th, but not sure what would happen when we got there. Lots were bemoaning our recent form as being down to 3 games in 8 days, saying we're knackered. Europe won't help that, unless another 5-6 players are coming in. WHU are still in Europe, but struggling to stay up.
 

Lofty ambitions

I'm with Ivan - why can't we catch Arsenal?
They only need 7pts from their last 10 games to be uncatchable. And that's with us winning 11 of 11 (we've won 10 of 27 so far). Frank out.
 

Lofty ambitions

I’d like for top 7 to be on for as long as possible. It might be that the run in May is a little too tough to keep it going against teams who’ll be themselves aiming for top 4 or the title but that’s fine.

I don’t worry too much about how we’d cope with European football on top. Obviously there’ll be incomings in the summer and hopefully the outgoings of the first XI will no more than Raya (but who knows, maybe a EL qualification might make him sign a new deal?!). But we have players who struggle to make the PL team who’d likely be good in the alternate European squad like eg a returning Canos who’s showing he can do well against the sorts of teams we’d be facing. We wouldn’t be looking at B teamers to fill in but having experienced fringe players getting games.
 

Lofty ambitions

I think realistically we will finish 9th or 10th. This is based on the fixtures remaining and the loss of Toney at some point. We are 8th atm, and Chelsea will probably overtake us at some point. If we finish 8th or 9th it represents a great season, hoping for better, but whatever it will be it will represent the highest finish in the top division since 1936. Amazing!
 

Lofty ambitions

We have games against all the sides fighting for 6th and 7th aside from Fulham so would probably need to win 2 or 3 out of 4 which is probably unrealistic. I think Chelsea will finish above us but we will finish above Fulham and Villa so 9th place for me.
 

Lofty ambitions

We are benefiting from traditionally stronger sides being relatively weaker such as Chelsea and Liverpool. But we can only beat what’s in front of us.

A highest strongest finish, and ideally Europe, means we attract a calibre of player that keeps us in the top half next year
 

Lofty ambitions

We've been a bit unfortunate that in our great season we have other clubs doing the same...a couple of years ago we'd easily been set for Europe but we have Fulham, Brighton, Newcastle etc in the mix now, the latter two should claim two of the spots.

We'll finish 8th probably, or 9th if Chelsea get their act together. Villa are in the mix as well now to overtake us though but if we perform then we can stay ahead of them. Hopefully at least top half...
 

Lofty ambitions

so far 1 out of 150 or so thinks that, indeed, our wheels will fall off...
what a shame!
 

Lofty ambitions

I think we'll fall short of Europe, but finish as high as 8th. It stands to reason we'll next season get the jump on whoever finishes 6th and 7th and, in an ideal world, make a go of it and think about getting a Conference League spot at worst.
 

Lofty ambitions

The squad depth would need to increase massively for us to compete and I think it would be a huge distraction. You only need to look at the effect on West Ham and Leicester this season to see what could happen if you’re playing Thursday, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday, etc.
I take the point but the examples are not as clear cut as you make it sound.

This year West Ham are struggling, but last year achieved a 7th place finish alongside a long European campaign.
Leicester were not in Europe this season. When they were, last season, they came 8th alongside an equally long European campaign (off the back of being 5th twice). If anything shouldn't they be better without that distraction?

Wolves came 7th after promotion in 2019, then added 17 European games to their schedule the next season and still matched that 7th again the next year.

I don't think it would be easy - we would probably need more players and some careful rotation. It's one of those things a bit like second season syndrome - people notice it's "a thing" when it happens and ignore it when it doesn't. I just think some teams adapt to these things and some don't.
 

Lofty ambitions

Our depth is arguably better than we think for next season? I'd say pretty much have a very solid natural backup for every position bar left back and maybe for Jensen:

Raya/Strakosha/Cox (will probably have to sign someone in summer if Raya goes)
Hickey/Roerslev/Ajer
Pinnock/Mee/Pontus/Zanka/Ajer even Goode and MBS arent complete liabilities
Rico/Hickey
Norgaard/Onyeka/Bidstrup
Da Silva/Damsgaard/Vitaly
Jensen/Baptiste/Ghoddos
Mbeumo/Schade
Toney/Schade
Wissa/KLP

Even likes of Crama, NYC, Trevitt and Yarmolyuk could start pushing through next year.
 

Lofty ambitions

Sorry I voted 11th., which is still a great achievement in our second season. Would love to be proved wrong and finish 8th., 9th, or 10th. Seriously can't see us finishing in a European qualification spot.
 

Lofty ambitions

Champions league or nothing as far as I’m concerned.

I hope we finish eighth, and Fulham ninth. I think it’s too soon for a European campaign. The squad depth would need to increase massively for us to compete and I think it would be a huge distraction. You only need to look at the effect on West Ham and Leicester this season to see what could happen if you’re playing Thursday, Sunday, Thursday, Sunday, etc.

I have dreamed of playing a competitive game abroad for donkeys years, but the timing has to be right.
Hate agreeing with your conclusions, as like you would love to see European football. But as always the long term has to come first.
 

Lofty ambitions

Sorry I voted 11th., which is still a great achievement in our second season. Would love to be proved wrong and finish 8th., 9th, or 10th. Seriously can't see us finishing in a European qualification spot.
Can't see us finishing below Foolham from here though, so should be at least 10th
 

Lofty ambitions

Realistically we aren't ready as a squad for European competition on top of domestic games. We've had some pretty awful injury runs the last two seasons and Europe wouldn't help. Look at West Ham for an example of what can happen.

Happy with 8th or 9th, build again over the summer and look to progress from there next season.
 

Lofty ambitions

"Lofty Ambitions" is a new podcast series looking at QPR's efforts to emulate the recent successes of their long-standing West London rivals Brentford. Out now on Spotify
 

Lofty ambitions

"Lofty Ambitions" is a new podcast series looking at QPR's efforts to emulate the recent successes of their long-standing West London rivals Brentford. Out now on Spotify
since i don't give a flying fk about them, i wouldn't know of my error, lol
 

Lofty ambitions

Our depth is arguably better than we think for next season? I'd say pretty much have a very solid natural backup for every position bar left back and maybe for Jensen:

Raya/Strakosha/Cox (will probably have to sign someone in summer if Raya goes)
Hickey/Roerslev/Ajer
Pinnock/Mee/Pontus/Zanka/Ajer even Goode and MBS arent complete liabilities
Rico/Hickey
Norgaard/Onyeka/Bidstrup
Da Silva/Damsgaard/Vitaly
Jensen/Baptiste/Ghoddos
Mbeumo/Schade
Toney/Schade
Wissa/KLP

Even likes of Crama, NYC, Trevitt and Yarmolyuk could start pushing through next year.
If you’re keeping Goode why not exercise Canos’s option? He’s showing Greece he’d be well up to playing against the sorts of teams we’d face in the Conference League at least!
 

Lofty ambitions

If you’re keeping Goode why not exercise Canos’s option? He’s showing Greece he’d be well up to playing against the sorts of teams we’d face in the Conference League at least!
Absolutely, Canos still got a part to play in this side in my opinion. Just completely forgot to include, desperate to see him get 250 appearances at a Gtech game
 

Lofty ambitions

Does not matter how lofty our hopes might be as by the time Mr Hill has finished there won’t be anyone left to watch the game?????
 
Back
Top Bottom