Long range goals

Wise old Bee

Well-known member
Joined
7 Apr 2000
Messages
13,400
Reaction score
7,522
Location
Sudbury Hill

Long range goals

When you watch the FL show there are always a few real snorters banged in from 30 yards or so. There has been a distressing lack of these by us over the years. If you take away Paul Evans goals, and Jim McNichol's free kicks there is not a lot left. Charlie against Bristol R this season was about 20 yards I suppose. Peter Gelson scored twice with free kicks from his own half but I never saw them. What memorable efforts do you remember?
 

Long range goals

Might be totally wrong but didn't Glen Poole score a volley from a headed out corner a couple of years ago?
 

Long range goals

i think that was my first Brentford game :wave:
 

Long range goals

Marcus Gayle versus Reading in 1990 and also against Bradford City 1991. :cool: :dj:
 

Long range goals

Myles against Gateshead wasn't too shabby.
 

Long range goals

Long range goals

Roger Stanislaus at Fucham right in front of over 2,000 travelling Bees fans going mental.

End of thread.
 

Long range goals

Longest range goal I can remember was scored by Millwall against Brentford at Griffin park in the infamous "hand grenade" game in 1965.
Millwall player punted the ball from near the touchline well inside his own half on the paddock side towards the Royal Oak, it must have been about 70 yards out and went about 50 feet high. Chic Brodie lost it in the floodlights and it ended up in the net
 

Long range goals

.......................on a Friday evening..................

thats right in the first minute and we won one nil with alot of people missing it! i know i did grrr
 

Long range goals

Longest range goal I can remember was scored by Millwall against Brentford at Griffin park in the infamous "hand grenade" game in 1965.
Millwall player punted the ball from near the touchline well inside his own half on the paddock side towards the Royal Oak, it must have been about 70 yards out and went about 50 feet high. Chic Brodie lost it in the floodlights and it ended up in the net

If we're talking goals against us...Shaun Smith for Crewe.

Bob Taylor must have scored a few, although nothing springs to mind at the moment.

To add to Poole's against Wycombe, I'm sure he did it at Bradford too.
 

Long range goals

Chris Hargreaves away at Luton in the FA Cup, now that was a screamer.

:sorted: :sorted:


:yes: Nearly took the net off the goal!

It then gave us a reason to wind up the Creche at Looscum big time. :sorted:

While we are at it what about long range own goals. I remember a visting full back (team escapes me) volleying a stunner from near the touchline of the New Road into the top left hand corner of the Ealing Road goal following a pass from his keeper!
 

Long range goals

:yes: Nearly took the net off the goal!

It then gave us a reason to wind up the Creche at Looscum big time. :sorted:

While we are at it what about long range own goals. I remember a visting full back (team escapes me) volleying a stunner from near the touchline of the New Road into the top left hand corner of the Ealing Road goal following a pass from his keeper!

Not sure if it's the same one you're thinking of, but I remember Gary Peters (then of Reading, I think) hitting a spectacular one against us as a FB - late 70s/early 80s, I guess

For us, longest must be Paul Evans from half-way line; I think Peter Gelson also got a free-kick in from around there, but that was a misjudgement by the keeper rather than a shot. I can recall one good long-range goal from Roger Stanislaus into Ealing Road, and Folan's televised effort v Cambridge

Referring to Poole's Boxing Day goal which some have mentioned, I don't think it was headed out to him: I think the corner-taker (Gary Smith?) put it straight onto Poole's foot for a volley
 

Long range goals

Against Wycombe on Boxing day the season we got relegated.

:sorted: :sorted:

Didn't we play Millwall on Boxing Day that season:confused:

Referring to Poole's Boxing Day goal which some have mentioned, I don't think it was headed out to him: I think the corner-taker (Gary Smith?) put it straight onto Poole's foot for a volley

Brain-dead is right, it was direct from corner to Poole to the back of the net. It was Boxing Day 2008, Andy Scott's first home game as manager.
 

Long range goals

:
While we are at it what about long range own goals. I remember a visting full back (team escapes me) volleying a stunner from near the touchline of the New Road into the top left hand corner of the Ealing Road goal following a pass from his keeper!

Billy Barr of Carlisle scored one - I think you might be thinking of that - we took kick off after they scored, he tried to clear it and sliced it back over his keeper and into his net.
 

Long range goals

I

Bob Taylor must have scored a few, although nothing springs to mind at the moment.

One lob from outside the box in the 6-0 Cambridge game where Manual got sent off for them.

Hermann against Cardiff on Boxing Day 1998?

Marcus Bent in the FLC against Plymouth with Grobbelaar in goal

Steve Hunt free kick that decieved everyone against Derby in the cup

Didn't Jim McNicol have a fair shot on him?

Benny Burgess against Brighton, flicked up with one foot, hit it with the other
 

Long range goals

thats right in the first minute and we won one nil with alot of people missing it! i know i did grrr

Wasn't the first minute, but close, it was the fifth.

It came from a Cambridge corner.
 

Long range goals

My lasting memory was a Roger Cross left foot volley - 35 yards out, just in from New Road touchline and flew like an Exocet into Ealing road goal before the keeper got a chance to move. Must be very early 70's but seems like yesterday
 

Long range goals

Gordon Sweetzer versus Swansea in a 4-0.
 

Long range goals

Paul Bence didn't score many but I remember Bency hitting a screamer from about 35 yards out in an early seventies match against Rotherham Utd in a 4-3 win. I remember Scales & Metchick being the other scorers but carn't remember the other scorer for us. I believe it was an evening match and Peter Gelson coming towards the end of his career with us and playing with the number 7 shirt. Circa 73-74 season.
 

Long range goals

Glenn Poole at Bradford.

Screamer
 

Long range goals

Didn't O'Connor belt one in in the Mad Dog days not sure how far out it was but the ball knew it had been hit!
 

Long range goals

Gibbs in the FA Cup... Gainsborough?? grass cutter
 

Long range goals

A Jim McNichol freekick in the 3-3 draw away at Leyton Orient in the early 80s.
 

Long range goals

Tony Folan v Cambridge, possibly live on TV?

thats right! my xmas do was that night i remember and i sneaked out for a couple of hours to go to the game. that has to be the furthest i have seen us score from. we were on tele at home to oldham that week too if i recall.

although i think batesey got one from our half at bournemouth in the cup one year to give us an early lead. we lost 2-1.

paul evans v preston of course from the kick off. 2-2 was it? my preston mate was in our end with me. that one was on "what happened next" when Question of Sport used to have people i had actually heard of as the guests.

those are the only 3 from in our own half that i recall but the millwall hand grenade one sounds like even further.

:fishing:
 

Long range goals

I've got it in my head that a Swansea player scored a snorter against us (was it Paul Maddy, perhaps, before he joined us?)
 

Long range goals

Jim Mcnichol at home v Blackburn in 1979. From halfway or just inside. Free kick :eek:
 

Long range goals

Batesy or Godfrey I’m sure smashed one against either Mansfield or Bury in the tranmere play off season???

Think WEB can help me on the above ;)
 

Long range goals

Didn't O'Connor belt one in in the Mad Dog days not sure how far out it was but the ball knew it had been hit!

Wrexham at home
 

Long range goals

Paul Bence didn't score many but I remember Bency hitting a screamer from about 35 yards out in an early seventies match against Rotherham Utd in a 4-3 win. I remember Scales & Metchick being the other scorers but carn't remember the other scorer for us. I believe it was an evening match and Peter Gelson coming towards the end of his career with us and playing with the number 7 shirt. Circa 73-74 season.

I was there too! We lost 4-3. Bence scored a screamer and I think dave Simmons scored the other
 

Long range goals

David Hunt scored a very good one last year vs Gillingham.
 

Long range goals

those are the only 3 from in our own half that i recall but the millwall hand grenade one sounds like even further.

:fishing:

I think it was.The Millwall player (I think his name was Wilson but I stand to be corrected) belted the ball from near where the technical areas now are, and it ended up in the Royal Oak end net .
 

Long range goals

Martin Grainger's was pretty good. His first goal for us was a free kick from near the right hand touch line. It flew into the top corner from an acute angle. If memory serves, Brian Statham scored his first goal for us in the same game. Cambridge may have been the opponents but I'm not sure about that.

Allan Cockram scored a lovely free-kick away to Blackpool in a 3-0 win, over the wall and into the net. Close to the end of the season, does anyone know which?

Happy days
 

Long range goals

Martin Grainger's was pretty good.

Heard a story once about a Grainger free kick at an away game, maybe Crewe.

Allegedly it was hit with the customary power but somewhat lacking in direction.
The ball sailed out of the ground, hit a chimney on a house which promptly fell down.

Sure its not true but can any one confirm it?
 

Long range goals

Paul Bence didn't score many but I remember Bency hitting a screamer from about 35 yards out in an early seventies match against Rotherham Utd in a 4-3 win. I remember Scales & Metchick being the other scorers but carn't remember the other scorer for us. I believe it was an evening match and Peter Gelson coming towards the end of his career with us and playing with the number 7 shirt. Circa 73-74 season.

Lost 3-4, 74-75 Metchick and Simmons the other two scorers, and I believe Gelson's last ever game
 

Long range goals

Martin Grainger's was pretty good. His first goal for us was a free kick from near the right hand touch line. It flew into the top corner from an acute angle. If memory serves, Brian Statham scored his first goal for us in the same game. Cambridge may have been the opponents but I'm not sure about that.

Allan Cockram scored a lovely free-kick away to Blackpool in a 3-0 win, over the wall and into the net. Close to the end of the season, does anyone know which?

Happy days

1988-9
 

Long range goals

I think it was.The Millwall player (I think his name was Wilson but I stand to be corrected) belted the ball from near where the technical areas now are, and it ended up in the Royal Oak end net .

Hugh Curran??
 
Back
Top Bottom