Luis Suarez

Luis Suarez

The whole point is that the ban is against Suarez, not against any team that he may represent. Liverpool must be well aware of his flaws, yet still continued to employ him. That was their choice and now it has come back to bite them (excuse the pun).

For what it is worth I think the ban wasn't long enough, but by the same token actually surprised that FIFA didn't totally bottle it.

Are you saying, not having Suarez for the first 3 months wouldn't affect the team? Bearing in mind, he contributed 43% for their goals & assistance last season? Voted the Players player of the season as well as the Football's Writers Award? Yeah, the Scouses probably knew about his flaws before they signed him from Ajax, but no way would they have thought things would turn out they way things have; so in my opinion, yes Liverpool are being made to pay the price & are being punished, maybe now, the Scouses may just say enough is enough & sell him to a Spanish club.

If however, LFC are STILL willing to stand by Suarez, then I think it's fair to say, they're happy to keep him with warts and all, regardless of his faults. They must accept the consequences therefore. It all depends on what comes out from Anfield IMHO
 

Luis Suarez

Tears in Liverpool for days, I guess. I bet they ask for a public inquiry...
 

Luis Suarez

Technically you're correct.

And they handled the Ivanovic incident reasonably well, too, imo.

But the club's conduct over his Racism charge etc was disgraceful.

I guess these things always come back to bite you...

(I'll get me coat)

The racism situation is different, the way Dalglish & LFC conducted themselves was disgraceful in my opinion.
 

Luis Suarez

I've already had one scouser telling me it was Chelsea fans that did it, he's a staunch red and we often exchange north and south stuff, his usual answer about anything that they do wrong is that Chelsea made them do it.
 

Luis Suarez

Makes you wonder whether he did this as a kid, teenager / youth player.
Will be interesting to hear of past bites on the field that didn't hit the headlines.
Gnasher !!
 

Luis Suarez

Uruguay appeal

No real surprise there. If Uruguay appeal, can he still play though? I bet his lawyers are checking all the legalities, and what loopholes there are, that they can use, to get around a ban at this World Cup.
 

Luis Suarez

shame I like Suarez and believe he needs help not a blanket ban
 

Luis Suarez

Probably knocked £20M off his price tag if anybody would still buy him.

Real dilemma for Liverpool, do they sell and try and get in another top class striker or stick with him and hope he gets back to last seasons form quickly after what will be a long lay off. My guess is the latter but they would be wise to try and renegotiate hi release clause so he can only leave on their terms.
 

Luis Suarez

shame I like Suarez and believe he needs help not a blanket ban

No just a blanket, the kind that you give babies which they normally chew on. I think that the PFA should advise all their members to refuse to play against him unless he is prepared to wear a gumshield or better still a muzzle. Why should anyone risk being bitten and the possibility of infection. The only kind of help he needs is from a dentist removing his front teeth.
 

Luis Suarez

No real surprise there. If Uruguay appeal, can he still play though? I bet his lawyers are checking all the legalities, and what loopholes there are, that they can use, to get around a ban at this World Cup.

Not according to the report I read on the beeb.
 

Luis Suarez

No real surprise there. If Uruguay appeal, can he still play though? I bet his lawyers are checking all the legalities, and what loopholes there are, that they can use, to get around a ban at this World Cup.

I think so
 

Luis Suarez

No real surprise there. If Uruguay appeal, can he still play though? I bet his lawyers are checking all the legalities, and what loopholes there are, that they can use, to get around a ban at this World Cup.
It may be that a player can continue whilst an appeal is pending (no idea myself), but considering how quickly they convened the original disciplinary hearing, I'm sure they will hear the Appeal before Saturday's game.
 

Luis Suarez

It may be that a player can continue whilst an appeal is pending (no idea myself), but considering how quickly they convened the original disciplinary hearing, I'm sure they will hear the Appeal before Saturday's game.

Don't know if the rules have changed or are different but didn't we appeal Nelson's red card at Swansea so he could play on the second leg?
 

Luis Suarez

The ban will be reduced on appeal.

I have no sympathy with Liverpool. They signed a player who had been banned for biting. They gave the same player a massive pay increase after he'd been banned for biting a second time - when there was an opportunity to sell him. Any fall out now from a third offence is a responsibility they signed up to when they agreed his contract.

Tough.
 

Luis Suarez

Don't know if the rules have changed or are different but didn't we appeal Nelson's red card at Swansea so he could play on the second leg?
Whether the same or different, my point is that even if his playing ban is suspended whilst the Appeal is pending, I'd imagine FIFA will hear the Appeal before Uruguay's next game on Saturday - they were quick enough to convene the original Disciplinary Panel.
 

Luis Suarez

I do think Liverpool will sell now. Suarez' agent has started that he's "desperate" to play in Spain; apparently his in laws either lives in Barcelona or own a home out there, his daughter was born in Barca & his wife & family evidently spends more time there than they do on Merseyside, therefore I think the writing is on the wall.
 

Luis Suarez

I do think Liverpool will sell now. Suarez' agent has started that he's "desperate" to play in Spain; apparently his in laws either lives in Barcelona or own a home out there, his daughter was born in Barca & his wife & family evidently spends more time there than they do on Merseyside, therefore I think the writing is on the wall.

I think he was always going this summer and was hoping a decent world cup would enhance his chances, will be interesting to see if it puts off the Spanish clubs.
 

Luis Suarez

Why did the Italian roll around on the floor after a bite on the shoulder? :shrug: :scratch:

More to the point - why did the Uruguayan roll around on the floor after biting someone? :shrug: :scratch:
 

Luis Suarez

Now that FIFA have reviewed video evidence to punish foul play perhaps they will follow the example of rugby and use it during games. Just think, no more cheating , diving etc. As for the FIFA 4 month ban...compare it to " South African prop Johan Le Roux bit New Zealand hooker Sean Fitzpatrick's ear during a scrum during a test in 1994, receiving an 18 month ban."
 

Luis Suarez

Whether the same or different, my point is that even if his playing ban is suspended whilst the Appeal is pending, I'd imagine FIFA will hear the Appeal before Uruguay's next game on Saturday - they were quick enough to convene the original Disciplinary Panel.

It would have to be held tomorrow.
 

Luis Suarez

As I said earlier, his previous ban didn't preclude him from playing for Uruguay as it was done in a Liverpool shirt. I have sympathy with Liverpool in this case. If I was them, I'd argue for a lesser ban domestically and a longer international ban.
 

Luis Suarez

Welcome to 2014 you do not nowadays need to be a gay person to have aids :wave:
 

Luis Suarez

I think he has got off lightly. Liverpool bought a player with previous and he did again for them. Did they insist on him having therapy? A ban is a ban.
 

Luis Suarez

While I find Goofy's behaviour worrying I'm more worried by those who still don't understand how Aids is transmitted and who is susceptible. But then I'm old fashioned. :shrug:
 

Luis Suarez

shame I like Suarez and believe he needs help not a blanket ban

If my dog had bitten three people over the past three years, I am sure the authorities would insist on it being put down, They most certainly wouldn't be saying that it needs help. Whilst not suggesting that jaws gets put down, he certainly needs to be shown his actions will not be tolerated. To me the four month ban is somewhat light, but then again FIFA are an organisation that is not fit for purpose.
 

Luis Suarez

Makes you wonder whether he did this as a kid, teenager / youth player.
Will be interesting to hear of past bites on the field that didn't hit the headlines.
Gnasher !!

don't know if you'll have time to read this, a fantastic piece on Suarez by American journalist Wright Thompson: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...nner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

(sorry if it's been posted before)

it doesn't mention previous bites but (in the intro) references a teenage incident of attacking a ref. but it does go into some of the guy's background, and attempts to explain his more ridiculous actions as being acts of "desperation". it's a good read, though long.
 

Luis Suarez

don't know if you'll have time to read this, a fantastic piece on Suarez by American journalist Wright Thompson: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...nner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

(sorry if it's been posted before)

it doesn't mention previous bites but (in the intro) references a teenage incident of attacking a ref. but it does go into some of the guy's background, and attempts to explain his more ridiculous actions as being acts of "desperation". it's a good read, though long.

Read it before the tournament. A very good read.
 

Luis Suarez

As yet the appeal has not Been submitted and, according to Sky the ban includes staying in the team hotel

Have no issue with the length of the ban or how it affects Liverpool, after the last incident the PFA offered counselling and anger management services however Liverpool preferred their " in house" psychologist deal with it. Perhaps if they had accepted the offer from the PFA none of this would have happened
 

Luis Suarez

If my dog had bitten three people over the past three years, I am sure the authorities would insist on it being put down, They most certainly wouldn't be saying that it needs help. Whilst not suggesting that jaws gets put down, he certainly needs to be shown his actions will not be tolerated. To me the four month ban is somewhat light, but then again FIFA are an organisation that is not fit for purpose.

Shouldn't he have his teeth extracted?
 

Luis Suarez

The ban will be reduced on appeal.

I have no sympathy with Liverpool. They signed a player who had been banned for biting. They gave the same player a massive pay increase after he'd been banned for biting a second time - when there was an opportunity to sell him. Any fall out now from a third offence is a responsibility they signed up to when they agreed his contract.

Tough.

I think you seem to have forgotten that Liverpool will be playing Champions League Football next season. With all the money and ability to attract better signings that entails (especially if they get a shedload of dosh if they sell him)

If they hadnt held on to him, they would be playing Europa league at best.
 

Luis Suarez

don't know if you'll have time to read this, a fantastic piece on Suarez by American journalist Wright Thompson: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...nner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

(sorry if it's been posted before)

it doesn't mention previous bites but (in the intro) references a teenage incident of attacking a ref. but it does go into some of the guy's background, and attempts to explain his more ridiculous actions as being acts of "desperation". it's a good read, though long.

Reading that makes you think there is an even darker side to him and/or football in his home country, no wonder they are in denial about his latest antics, on the scale of things it is an irrelevance.
 

Luis Suarez

don't know if you'll have time to read this, a fantastic piece on Suarez by American journalist Wright Thompson: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...nner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

(sorry if it's been posted before)

it doesn't mention previous bites but (in the intro) references a teenage incident of attacking a ref. but it does go into some of the guy's background, and attempts to explain his more ridiculous actions as being acts of "desperation". it's a good read, though long.

Very good piece.
 

Luis Suarez

Tears in Liverpool for days, I guess. I bet they ask for a public inquiry...

Sorry bit off topic but I just don't get the 'humour' thing around Hillsborough at all. Simplistic emotive argument but would you be making the same kind of jibes if Bees fans had lost their lives in a similar incident?
 

Luis Suarez

don't know if you'll have time to read this, a fantastic piece on Suarez by American journalist Wright Thompson: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...nner-luis-suarez-soccer-most-beautiful-player

(sorry if it's been posted before)

it doesn't mention previous bites but (in the intro) references a teenage incident of attacking a ref. but it does go into some of the guy's background, and attempts to explain his more ridiculous actions as being acts of "desperation". it's a good read, though long.

Excellent article, nothing can justify his behaviour however it does give a plausible insight into why he behaves as he does.

Ironically it seems the fear inside him drives him to be the footballer he is, you can't have one without the other. The question is can he get the help to control the fear and behaviour before his career is ruined.
 

Luis Suarez

I am wondering. Will Liverpool have to pay his salary while banned ??

A fine of £65k to Suarez is like 2.5 days salary - not really a pocket hitter is is.
 

Luis Suarez

I am wondering. Will Liverpool have to pay his salary while banned ??

A fine of £65k to Suarez is like 2.5 days salary - not really a pocket hitter is is.

Reported on the news that he'll earn 3 Million quid whist banned.
Not bad.
if I bit someone at football, I'd probanly get sent down for a year and lose my job and family.
 
Back
Top Bottom