Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Flekken excellent tonight…. But before we start piling into those who have been critical of him this season…… you can (a) think he had a good game tonight, (b) believe that he’s not delivered this season and been pretty average and (c) wanengat him to do well moving forward….. they are not all mutually exclusive.

That's my take @Twickenhamben ?

I'm in the same place for Nathan ✅
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Bloke behind me in West tonight “Whooah he’s caught one “ in first couple of minutes, went quiet after that?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Only caught the highlights, being out of the Country but imagine the confidence, which would've been lacking, this will give him for the rest of the season.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)


View: https://x.com/brentfordfc/status/1754651436875432430?s=46


A total contrast to the interview he gave a couple of weeks ago where he said that he was still having issues about not feeling that he was performing at his preferred level. He’s obviously not the type to be shouting his achievements from the rooftops, but this is a huge step in right direction for him and bodes well going forward. Great performance tonight, Mark.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Bloody brilliant. ??
First half performance that got West Stand singing his name.
Hope he can kick on from here and we really get behind him as he’s shown he’s got what it takes. ??
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Perhaps he struggles to concentrate?
Yesterday he was peppered with shots & had to be constantly alert. Often in games he won’t face a shot for long periods of the game.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Quality :sorted: needs a better song
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He did really well last night and was superb in the first half

Have looked at the PSXG table and and only moved up slightly to -7.7
Can you look at your spreadsheet and tell us the movement in the last 3 or 4 games please?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Can you look at your spreadsheet and tell us the movement in the last 3 or 4 games please?
There's been none...was bottom and still bottom just not as far adrift today....-7.7 to next one -5.9
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

That's the kind of performance that can kick start the form-confidence spiral to start spinning in the other direction. Taken a decent bite out of that pesky xG prevented stat in just 45 minutes! With Flekken back to his Freiburg form, a proper left back starting each game, Toney back from his ban, and Maupay on fire I think we could well rocket up the table now. Most positive I've ever felt after losing by a 2 goal difference
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

There's been none...was bottom and still bottom just not as far adrift today....-7.7 to next one -5.9
The stats have moved haven't they or are you not interested in current form.
 
Last edited:

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Great performance and if he can build on that moving forward we’ll have forgotten all about Raya by the end of the season!
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Very quiet from the Flekken naysayers since last night - it's almost as if they cannot be fair and actually admit he was excellent. Of course I'm not massively shocked by this...
Find this a bit odd. For one, it's not true. I've seen tons of positive sentiment from his critics including myself, (the "days since a Flekken f*** up" gimmick account on Twitter even changed its whole theming to a flekken fan account at half time).

Then also I find the tone ur strangely gloating, like you've known the whole time he was great and everyone else has just been blinded by bias. He was massively underperforming, objectively. Eye test and stats both said he was just not making enough saves for any but the easy shots. He's had a couple of decent performances sprinkled throughout, and last night he had an incredible performance. None of this is contradictory.

It was also my and probably many other flekken "naysayers" assumption that it was always a question of form/confidence and not quality, since we had the evidence of his Freiburg seasons to show he wasn't anywhere near his usual level, which he as much as admitted himself in that interview. So I don't think it invalidates any previous criticisms that he was brilliant last night. Long may it continue!
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)


View: https://x.com/brentfordfc/status/1754651436875432430?s=46


A total contrast to the interview he gave a couple of weeks ago where he said that he was still having issues about not feeling that he was performing at his preferred level. He’s obviously not the type to be shouting his achievements from the rooftops, but this is a huge step in right direction for him and bodes well going forward. Great performance tonight, Mark.


That's a fantastic interview. We'll done, Mark.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Amazing what a new signing can do for the incumbents form. :fishing:

Had a brilliant game last night, especially first half. However, that doesn't mean he couldn't be pulled up for his previous performances this season. They weren't at the required level. Hopefully last night will be the start of a bit of consistency around his performances.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Okay, you're on but let's make it more interesting than just cash.
If I'm wrong, I'll post on here that I'll keep my big gob shut in future!
If I'm right then you admit to my superior knowledge of goalkeepers!
My charity by the way is Princess Alice Hospice in Hersham.
My charity is YoungMinds BTW ?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Find this a bit odd. For one, it's not true. I've seen tons of positive sentiment from his critics including myself, (the "days since a Flekken f*** up" gimmick account on Twitter even changed its whole theming to a flekken fan account at half time).

Then also I find the tone ur strangely gloating, like you've known the whole time he was great and everyone else has just been blinded by bias. He was massively underperforming, objectively. Eye test and stats both said he was just not making enough saves for any but the easy shots. He's had a couple of decent performances sprinkled throughout, and last night he had an incredible performance. None of this is contradictory.

It was also my and probably many other flekken "naysayers" assumption that it was always a question of form/confidence and not quality, since we had the evidence of his Freiburg seasons to show he wasn't anywhere near his usual level, which he as much as admitted himself in that interview. So I don't think it invalidates any previous criticisms that he was brilliant last night. Long may it continue!
There is literally zero posts from the posters on here that are normally quick to criticise him. It is not gloating to say that - I've said before that he hadn't lived up to his Freiburg performance levels but equally hadn't been as terrible as some made him out to be either.

I think it is fair to say when he has been excellent as well as say when he hasn't covered himself in glory rather than only focus on negatives which you have done and fair play to you for sharing a balanced viewpoint - if only some of his more vociferous detractors could do the same....
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I've been critical of him this season and so it's only right to also give praise where it's due.

He simply looked a different player last night, a confidence and determination that's been lacking so far. Whether it was because we were facing City and he was mentally prepared for a busy night, or maybe that early save just set him up for the game, I'm not sure. I really hope he can kick on from this though and become the keeper I assume the club saw when they were scouting him.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

No champagne moment thread yet, so I'll put it here.

My Arsenal friend text me at half time and said
"Can we steal your keeper THIS time? ?"
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

That was probably the best goalkeeping performance in terms of saves that I've seen since (Paul Smith?) for Southend against us. Stunning.

Having said that, my son and I were on the way to the bus stop after the match when a couple of guys in their late 20s, I'd guess walked past us. As they did so, one said "Well, Flekken made a couple of saves tonight". The other said "Yes, but they were at the perfect height for him." Assuming that they weren't joking - and by the tone of their voice they weren't - what an unbelievable comment. Shows that people see what they want to see.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Bloke behind me in West tonight “Whooah he’s caught one “ in first couple of minutes, went quiet after that?

Yeah, a fella near me in West chanting "Flekken made a save". ?

I've been a critic of Flekken previously, but what a performance and irrespective I would never be caught chanting "Flekken made a save". :sorted:
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Not been his biggest fan, but very good last night, he will need performances like that from now on to help our situation.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Bloody brilliant. ??
First half performance that got West Stand singing his name.
Hope he can kick on from here and we really get behind him as he’s shown he’s got what it takes. ??
Repeated by those that stuck around when the team came round after full time too, he clapped back and acknowledged the credit.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

There is literally zero posts from the posters on here that are normally quick to criticise him. It is not gloating to say that - I've said before that he hadn't lived up to his Freiburg performance levels but equally hadn't been as terrible as some made him out to be either.

I think it is fair to say when he has been excellent as well as say when he hasn't covered himself in glory rather than only focus on negatives which you have done and fair play to you for sharing a balanced viewpoint - if only some of his more vociferous detractors could do the same....
The frustration you feel, I totally agree. He has been over critically analysed to the point of desperation by his critics. Unfortunately we have a section that needs a scapegoat every season and it's him this season. I was thrilled with his performance, unfortunately no matter what he does good some will continue to dislike and find faults. Same people who comment when we lose but rarely when we lose.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Bloody brilliant. ??
First half performance that got West Stand singing his name.
Hope he can kick on from here and we really get behind him as he’s shown he’s got what it takes. ??
What was the song? Didn't quite carry over to the East Stand...
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Big performance last night from Flekken, have felt for a while now that the pressure on him hasn't been helped by some of the woeful defending in front of him.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

There is literally zero posts from the posters on here that are normally quick to criticise him. It is not gloating to say that - I've said before that he hadn't lived up to his Freiburg performance levels but equally hadn't been as terrible as some made him out to be either.

I think it is fair to say when he has been excellent as well as say when he hasn't covered himself in glory rather than only focus on negatives which you have done and fair play to you for sharing a balanced viewpoint - if only some of his more vociferous detractors could do the same....

I've posted @Gazza Bee ✅

I think Flekken himself alluded to his performance being more like his old self ?

Let's hope he continues to build confidence.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Find this a bit odd. For one, it's not true. I've seen tons of positive sentiment from his critics including myself, (the "days since a Flekken f*** up" gimmick account on Twitter even changed its whole theming to a flekken fan account at half time).

Then also I find the tone ur strangely gloating, like you've known the whole time he was great and everyone else has just been blinded by bias. He was massively underperforming, objectively. Eye test and stats both said he was just not making enough saves for any but the easy shots. He's had a couple of decent performances sprinkled throughout, and last night he had an incredible performance. None of this is contradictory.

It was also my and probably many other flekken "naysayers" assumption that it was always a question of form/confidence and not quality, since we had the evidence of his Freiburg seasons to show he wasn't anywhere near his usual level, which he as much as admitted himself in that interview. So I don't think it invalidates any previous criticisms that he was brilliant last night. Long may it continue!
That just isn't true (on the whole, not aimed at you). The majority of the criticism has been "sell him/replace him" & "he's not good enough".
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Repeated by those that stuck around when the team came round after full time too, he clapped back and acknowledged the credit.
Fantastic support - just what our boys need. Crowd were on it yesterday, very proud.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He didn’t have anywhere near as much to do against Spurs but it felt, watching him in that game, as though there had been a change.

Can’t put my finger on it, maybe it was subtle body language, or a couple of individual actions, but he seemed different and confident in that game.

He’s then followed it up with a performance, which if we are honest, is possibly the highest level of performance a Brentford goalkeeper has ever put in.

He’s mentioned in an interview a few weeks back that he was beginning to feel himself again after a non-perfect start. Perhaps this natural “settling in”, combined with the fresh blood and competition in the GK unit, with Valdimarsson, is what has brought him back to his top level. Great to see.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Ok. I'll join you lot. Flekken deserves the golden glove for letting in 3 goals a game. Fantastic goalkeeping.

Amazing how some people go very quiet. I'm sure he'll back when it suits his agenda.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom