Miguel Llera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel Llera

Karleigh will partner Legge on his return, my first choice by a mile.

Not if you want the ball played out from the back surely? I'm certain this is key for Uwe and Eger will start with either Karleigh or Leon. However, if it's a tough physical game then I suspect he'll partner Leon and Karleigh.
 

Miguel Llera

Not if you want the ball played out from the back surely? I'm certain this is key for Uwe and Eger will start with either Karleigh or Leon. However, if it's a tough physical game then I suspect he'll partner Leon and Karleigh.

That would be my take on it as well
 

Miguel Llera

Unlucky to be sent off i felt although i havent seen it again. Didnt have the best of games yesterday (neither did Eger) they werent bad, just not as solid as you would hope for but first time they have played together so a bit of uncertainty was to be expected.
 

Miguel Llera


No different from any other defender plying their trade, just watch the holding and pulling by defenders next time you watch MotD. In my opinion he is a more composed defender than Legge with far greater ability at present, however at the rate that Legge improves year on year it means that eventualy this position may be reversed. If I was wanting a defender to shed blood for the cause etc etc then legge would be the man, however if I am looking for a footballing central defender then at present Llera is the man. Just my opinion you understand.
 

Miguel Llera

Llera is decent back-up for Eger and Osborne while Legge is injured, but these 3 pictures on the Oldham site just sum him up really:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/javaImages/88/c/0,,10337~10030216,00.jpg
http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/javaImages/a2/c/0,,1033 7~10030242,00.jpg
http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/javaImages/70/c/0,,10337~10030192,00.jpg

I wasn't there yesterday so don't know whether sending off merited or not but Llera was brought in to give us strength and presence in defence in Legges absence.

He's big, strong and an awkward unit, just what I imagine we needed playing against Kuqi - look how easily Karleigh was outmuscled last week by Mellor.
I haven't read or heard too much about Egers performance so assume he hasn't suddenly the answer to our prayers at centre back yet. For me Leon and Karleigh on song would be my preferred pairing but neither are clever footballers or ball playing defenders which we know UR prefers. With that in mind I can see why he wants to try Llera and Eger and I suspect that we may yet see other pairings if we aren't winning games.
 

Miguel Llera

I am in the Osborne and Legge camp with Eger as back up. thats 3 central defenders so no need for Llera. No surprise that it did nit work out at charlton or blackpool for him. I would have thought we need much better if we are to progress
 

Miguel Llera


Very Harsh judgement. Reid was lively first half but didnt have many clear cut chances and didnt make Llera look silly as you seem to suggest.
 

Miguel Llera

I am in the Osborne and Legge camp with Eger as back up. thats 3 central defenders so no need for Llera. No surprise that it did nit work out at charlton or blackpool for him. I would have thought we need much better if we are to progress

What makes you think it didn't work at Charlton? He was out of contract and got a better, long term contract at a club in the division above. He may not be Beckenbauer but he isn't a lower league donkey as some are trying to paint him.
 

Miguel Llera

cnt remember wot game but a few weeks ago he handballed at least 3 times it was at home. Very continental and can c him conceding a lot of free kicks!!! Eger and KO for me.

Very continental ?


:confused:
 

Miguel Llera


Obviously Uwe and Farrell don't share this view and neither do I. Interestingly every player they have brought in has been an improvement on what we had and Llera is no exception.
 

Miguel Llera

From conversations I've had with friends at the club, Charlton didn't want to keep him. They were keen to get Karleigh in though.
 

Miguel Llera

Has vision and experience, can deliver precision cross-field passes, has physical presence, strength and tenacity, lacks pace but great header and threat at attacking set pieces so probably our first choice CB at present esp. alongside Karleigh.
 

Miguel Llera

I thought he was only brought in as cover whilst LL was out. Therefore expect to KO & LL paired on his return to fitness and Llera to return to Blackpool.
 

Miguel Llera

I thought he was only brought in as cover whilst LL was out. Therefore expect to KO & LL paired on his return to fitness and Llera to return to Blackpool.

Would not surprise me to see the loan extended as Pim away at Rochdale is not pulling up many trees therefore would give Rosler 4 c/b to chose from alowing him to play 5 across the back with wingbacks bombing forward if he so choses. Also I think he prefers a c/b who is comfortable on the ball which makes Llera possibly his forst choice.
 

Miguel Llera

Mr Pipe I have a lot of time and respect for your very sensible postings. However I strongly disagree with you on this one. In his 3 full games Llera has given away numerous stupid free kicks two of which resulted in goals and at least 2 lost points. He has also been sent off. IMO a CB's first requirement is to be able to defend and whilst KO did have a bad day against PNE I would have thought he and Legge are miles ahead on any other CB pairing. With Eger also looking the part when needed I for one would be very surprised to see Llera's stay extended provided LL gets fit.
 

Miguel Llera

Mr Pipe I have a lot of time and respect for your very sensible postings. However I strongly disagree with you on this one. In his 3 full games Llera has given away numerous stupid free kicks two of which resulted in goals and at least 2 lost points. He has also been sent off. IMO a CB's first requirement is to be able to defend and whilst KO did have a bad day against PNE I would have thought he and Legge are miles ahead on any other CB pairing. With Eger also looking the part when needed I for one would be very surprised to see Llera's stay extended provided LL gets fit.

Prepare to be surprised then. KO and LL cannot play the ball out of defence the way we require. If anything expect Eger to partner either Leon or Karleigh if Llera doesn't stay a bit longer.
 

Miguel Llera

Mr Pipe I have a lot of time and respect for your very sensible postings. However I strongly disagree with you on this one. In his 3 full games Llera has given away numerous stupid free kicks two of which resulted in goals and at least 2 lost points. He has also been sent off. IMO a CB's first requirement is to be able to defend and whilst KO did have a bad day against PNE I would have thought he and Legge are miles ahead on any other CB pairing. With Eger also looking the part when needed I for one would be very surprised to see Llera's stay extended provided LL gets fit.

You may well be right regarding the future of Llera. Karleigh is without doubt our first choice c/b however when it comes to his partner Legge is all action but distribution is poor and also not averse to wrestling the opposition. Egar I have not seen enough of, Llera can play football but I will concede also liable to give away free kicks. Guesss at the end it depends what Rosler is looking for, We know that he wants his players first and foremost to be able to play football, so beleive that he will have some interesting choices to make.

I am perfectly happy with Leon and Karleigh as first choice if that is the eventual end however as I said before it would not surprise me in the slightest to see Llera stay giving Rosler greater options.

Time will tell.
 

Miguel Llera

You may well be right regarding the future of Llera. Karleigh is without doubt our first choice c/b however when it comes to his partner Legge is all action but distribution is poor and also not averse to wrestling the opposition. Egar I have not seen enough of, Llera can play football but I will concede also liable to give away free kicks. Guesss at the end it depends what Rosler is looking for, We know that he wants his players first and foremost to be able to play football, so beleive that he will have some interesting choices to make.

I am perfectly happy with Leon and Karleigh as first choice if that is the eventual end however as I said before it would not surprise me in the slightest to see Llera stay giving Rosler greater options.

Time will tell.

Thought Miguel was good on sat and very unlucky to be sent off.
 

Miguel Llera

Mr Pipe I have a lot of time and respect for your very sensible postings. However I strongly disagree with you on this one. In his 3 full games Llera has given away numerous stupid free kicks two of which resulted in goals and at least 2 lost points. He has also been sent off. IMO a CB's first requirement is to be able to defend and whilst KO did have a bad day against PNE I would have thought he and Legge are miles ahead on any other CB pairing. With Eger also looking the part when needed I for one would be very surprised to see Llera's stay extended provided LL gets fit.

Ruislip,

The general consensus after Col U game was that he was just what we needed and 4 days later after Preston he was no bettre than Leon Townley. I would rather see a fit Leon given the chance to continue improving in order he develops into the next Terry Evans - however there is no getting away from the fact that before he got injured against Tranmere he had struggled with his distribution, as I concede had all four across the back. Llera seems to be able to pick a pass and looks comfortable bringing the ball out of defence as does Eger and it is my assumption that UR wants to play with at least one central defender who can bring the ball out of defence.

Leon may become that player, he's still relatively new to league football but as much as I like and rate him, he isn't comfortable on the ball unless in plenty of space and often given time he's more a of a liability than when he's being asked to do his job - remember Wembley!

Llera has been written off by a number of already (I wasn't there Saturday) and while he may not be the answer I think if Eger doesn't settle into the role of ball playing centre half quickly we will see other players being brought in to see if they can become the missing link.
 

Miguel Llera

Ruislip,

The general consensus after Col U game was that he was just what we needed and 4 days later after Preston he was no bettre than Leon Townley. I would rather see a fit Leon given the chance to continue improving in order he develops into the next Terry Evans - however there is no getting away from the fact that before he got injured against Tranmere he had struggled with his distribution, as I concede had all four across the back. Llera seems to be able to pick a pass and looks comfortable bringing the ball out of defence as does Eger and it is my assumption that UR wants to play with at least one central defender who can bring the ball out of defence.

Leon may become that player, he's still relatively new to league football but as much as I like and rate him, he isn't comfortable on the ball unless in plenty of space and often given time he's more a of a liability than when he's being asked to do his job - remember Wembley!

Llera has been written off by a number of already (I wasn't there Saturday) and while he may not be the answer I think if Eger doesn't settle into the role of ball playing centre half quickly we will see other players being brought in to see if they can become the missing link.

Whilst I agree with most of this I don't really see that Eger has done much wrong so far. He's gone about his work in a methodical manner and on occasion showed he can actually play a bit of football, the adjustment from Budesliga to third tier English football is a relatively large one but IMHO he's coped well enough and was unlucky to be dropped.

I haven't altered my view on Llera, a decent cover signing and he can pick a pass but from the limited times I've seen him play he has an alarming propensity to give away needless fouls in dangerous areas. Of course all defenders give away free kicks but unfortunately his style of play makes him more culpable than the other alternatives we have.
 

Miguel Llera

Our four currents CBs are difficult to compare as each has different strengths and weaknesses. My personal opinion is that Llera is the best for the style of play that the management want. Karleigh still has potential but he's got bags of experience now, so he's got to get consistent soon. My belief is that his problems are in his head and good coaching will bring out the best in him. Leon is 26 and, although he's not got Karleigh's league experience, if you're not a ball player at that age you're never going to be. He's still our best header, though, and you can't fault his commitment; he's our air raid shelter. I've not seen enough of Eger to be definitive but he seems to be a natural organiser and reads the game well; I guess he's still adjusting. He's never going to get quicker or taller, though!

There's enough to give us options and, when Leon is fit again, the situation with Llera is going to be interesting.
 

Miguel Llera

In my opinion it is also a matter of using the playing budget wisely and as frugally as possible to ensure that there is money left over for January if required.

Was brought in as cover and my guess is that he is costing us a fair proportion of his weekly salary. Once LL comes back I am sure that Llera will return with our gratitude to Blackpool allowing the other 3 centre backs to compete.

Correct me if I am wrong but think Pim might return in January too If so another reason for Llera to return to his own club.
 

Miguel Llera

Whilst I agree with most of this I don't really see that Eger has done much wrong so far. He's gone about his work in a methodical manner and on occasion showed he can actually play a bit of football, the adjustment from Budesliga to third tier English football is a relatively large one but IMHO he's coped well enough and was unlucky to be dropped.

I haven't altered my view on Llera, a decent cover signing and he can pick a pass but from the limited times I've seen him play he has an alarming propensity to give away needless fouls in dangerous areas. Of course all defenders give away free kicks but unfortunately his style of play makes him more culpable than the other alternatives we have.

I'm with you, from what I've seen Eger has done OK IMHO and I didn't see him at Oldham but we didn't concede so it seems initially as slightly harsh that he's not starting in Leons absence.. I'm not trying to state the obvious but look at it from a different point of view . UR obviously rates him as made him his first signing, he also works with him and sees him every day in training so must have his reasons for not picking him as first choice alongside Karleigh yet.

I thought Llera was outstanding in the game vs Col U but expressed a concern that he was a bit of an octopus and would give away fouls. I also stated at the time that while he could and maybe should have been penalised for other fouls the one they scored from was harsh and I felt the same against Preston. I've never said he is what we need but I do understand why UR brought him in as a direct replacement for Leon given some of the big, strong, centre forwards kicking around in this league that Eger may not be as comfortable against - Odajaye, Mellor and Kuqi in the last three games alone.
 

Miguel Llera

I'm with you, from what I've seen Eger has done OK IMHO and I didn't see him at Oldham but we didn't concede so it seems initially as slightly harsh that he's not starting in Leons absence.. I'm not trying to state the obvious but look at it from a different point of view . UR obviously rates him as made him his first signing, he also works with him and sees him every day in training so must have his reasons for not picking him as first choice alongside Karleigh yet.

I thought Llera was outstanding in the game vs Col U but expressed a concern that he was a bit of an octopus and would give away fouls. I also stated at the time that while he could and maybe should have been penalised for other fouls the one they scored from was harsh and I felt the same against Preston. I've never said he is what we need but I do understand why UR brought him in as a direct replacement for Leon given some of the big, strong, centre forwards kicking around in this league that Eger may not be as comfortable against - Odajaye, Mellor and Kuqi in the last three games alone.

3 clean sheets from Eger's last 3 starts isn't it ?
 

Miguel Llera

3 clean sheets from Eger's last 3 starts isn't it ?

You're pushing an open door - as I've said before it looks harsh that Eger hadn't been starting alongside KO. I was just trying to reason why UR may have chosen to bring in Llera and start him in Leons absence.
 

Miguel Llera

You're pushing an open door - as I've said before it looks harsh that Eger hadn't been starting alongside KO. I was just trying to reason why UR may have chosen to bring in Llera and start him in Leons absence.

I like Eger as he's a footballer. However, he hasn't been dominant in the air and as we know, many teams in this division have a lump up front. So we've now got a lump of our own who can also play it out.
 

Miguel Llera

I like Eger as he's a footballer. However, he hasn't been dominant in the air and as we know, many teams in this division have a lump up front. So we've now got a lump of our own who can also play it out.

I've tried to see it from both sides mate. Those who are anti Llera will only focus on the fouls not his dominance in the air, excellent distribution and organising of the back four.

Those who like Eger forget that he has struggled with the pace at times this season, including both Yeovil and Wycombe at times, both with lightweight, relatively small forward lines.

I like both and think without Leon we need someone like Llera and yet hope that in Eger we have a player who can play a Buttigieg type role in time guiding Karleigh or Leon through games.

Personally I'd like to leave UR to make his decisions as to who to start without questioning the why's and wherefores.
 

Miguel Llera

I've tried to see it from both sides mate. Those who are anti Llera will only focus on the fouls not his dominance in the air, excellent distribution and organising of the back four.

Those who like Eger forget that he has struggled with the pace at times this season, including both Yeovil and Wycombe at times, both with lightweight, relatively small forward lines.

I like both and think without Leon we need someone like Llera and yet hope that in Eger we have a player who can play a Buttigieg type role in time guiding Karleigh or Leon through games.

Personally I'd like to leave UR to make his decisions as to who to start without questioning the why's and wherefores.

I think a lot of posters are thinking that Leon will partner Karleigh when Leon is fit and Llera returns to Blackpool. I have a feeling that Llera might be with us longer than we think and that we might see Llera and Leon partnering up. If Llera does go, I think Eger will partner one of the two as it's clear that Uwe wants a ball playing centre back. Eger does seem to be getting better at dealing with the physical side now and he's clearly a good footballer although he does, I agree , lack pace. It will be interesting as you say.
 

Miguel Llera

Can we have a pass completion stat for today please? :(
 

Miguel Llera

He was terrible today.. No turn of pace, poor positional sense, awful distribution can't wait for Leon and karleigh to be back. However bad the back four were today they were not the reason we didn't win today We simply did not create anything
 
Last edited:

Miguel Llera

He was terrible today.. No turn of pace, poor positional sense, awful distribution can't wait for Leon and karleigh to be back. However bad the back four were today they were not the reason we lost! We simply did not create anything

what was there goal like?

Llera is no better than what we have already got, shame he has to play as Legge and KO are injured
 

Miguel Llera

Llera is no better than what we have already got

Quite right - he's a lot worse. He was a total waste of space today - his long passes were crap, his free kick was crap and his defending was crap (most of the time anyway). Apart from that, he's a decent player......:) AFAIC, the sooner he goes back to Blackpool the better.
 

Miguel Llera

Quite right - he's a lot worse. He was a total waste of space today - his long passes were crap, his free kick was crap and his defending was crap (most of the time anyway). Apart from that, he's a decent player......:) AFAIC, the sooner he goes back to Blackpool the better.

Well expect him to stay for another month at least. :sorted:
 

Miguel Llera

Llera thinks he's good he's not. He thinks he can spray balls like he's rio or something? He can't hes sh*t. Defensively looks shaky aswell
 

Miguel Llera

He got done a couple of times at the back yesterday and Eger had to save the day.
 

Miguel Llera

Well expect him to stay for another month at least. :sorted:
Sadly, he's already on a three-month loand deal until the end of the first week of December, I think. I'm just hoping that Karleigh and/or Leggy get fit pretty darned quickly cos this guy seems a liability to me...
 

Miguel Llera

Apart from thumping the ball out of touch or to a player in a blue shirt every time he had the ball, and getting the rest of the back four into trouble on numerous occasions, he was good. In other words, mostly crap! He might have been a decent player with CAFC but he certainly didn't look like one yesterday.
 

Miguel Llera

Apart from thumping the ball out of touch or to a player in a blue shirt every time he had the ball, and getting the rest of the back four into trouble on numerous occasions, he was good. In other words, mostly crap! He might have been a decent player with CAFC but he certainly didn't look like one yesterday.

Was outstanding at Carlisle but poor yesterday. Don't give up on him , i suspect we will need his aerial power next week
 

Miguel Llera

I wasn't there yesterday but I suspect that Llera will be with us longer than some of us might think. I can't see Uwe partnering KO and LL as it doesn't fit his style and KO has shown he can be bullied.
 

Miguel Llera

All of our central defenders have weaknesses, Karleigh can be bullied to a certain extent and LL is a bit agricultural, however both are inexperienced or young enough to be coached to improve. Eger appears at times to have what it takes but that's rarely been seen.
Llera is both old enough and experienced enough to be an asset; however he's easily turned, gives stupid free kicks away and his timing in the air is dreadful. To be honest he's way below both KO and LL for me with Eger needing opportunities to prove himself.
 

Miguel Llera

Poor yesterday. Kept trying long ball with a zero success rate and got caught a couple of times at the back
 

Miguel Llera

Long balls just seemed like aimless hoofs and too often he was seemingly day dreaming or staring at his boots instead of watching the game and could have cost us a couple of goals easily.

He's looked alright in other games but had a mare yesterday.
 

Miguel Llera

A number of players appear to have been unwell. Maybe he was one? I get the impression that a few players ought not to have been selected due to illness but Uwe probably had no choice.
 

Miguel Llera

He will be needed big time on Sat against the up and at em crew
 

Miguel Llera

His long cross-field balls would be a lot more effective if:
1. They were more accurate, and
2. A wide player actually anticipated that he would play them.
He may tackle like a cart-horse but he probably had no less goal attempts than some of our forwards.
 

Miguel Llera

can we please cut out this rubbish that players couldnt read his passes, they either went a mile too long for a goal kick, found the opposition or threatened to take people out sitting in the Bill Axbey.

The attempt to cut that ball out near the touchline late in the 2nd half was comical.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom