MLB 2017

MLB 2017

MLB 2017

The Jays beat the Yankees yesterday 4-1. Perhaps we should have another holiday day in Canada to celebrate.:rolleyes:

The Yankees are putting together a young (i.e. cheap) and incredibly talented hitting line-up, but for this season at least they don't have the starting pitching.
Expect them to buy in starters in the free agent market ready for next season.
 

MLB 2017

The Yankees are putting together a young (i.e. cheap) and incredibly talented hitting line-up, but for this season at least they don't have the starting pitching.
Expect them to buy in starters in the free agent market ready for next season.

I agree, something the Jay's need to do.
 

MLB 2017

I agree, something the Jay's need to do.

Yep, they will do soon. Four regulars, Martin, Tulo, Morales and Jose all on the wrong side of 30. I'll be surprised if they start any major overhaul this year but they'll need to start rebuilding a new team before very much longer.
 

MLB 2017

MLB 2017

MLB 2017

First half of the season nearly over, where has that time gone.

Dodgers head to the break with a MLB leading 61 wins, having won 26 of their last 30 games.

:bound:

All-Star game this year is in Miami, about time it went back to LA.
 
Last edited:

MLB 2017

First half of the season nearly over, where has that time gone.

Dodgers head to the break with a MLB leading 61 wins, having won 26 of their last 30 games.

Two teams on 60 wins already! Dodgers with the best record but at least they seem to have some degree of inter-division competition. Houston now an eye-popping 16 1/2 games ahead in the AL west, having taken their road record to a remarkable 33-11 following last nights artillery barrage of the hapless Blue Jays.

The poor old Jays. The last two Sunday games have been played at home in front of crowds in excess of 46,000 and have resulted in a 15-1 loss to the Red Sox and a 19-1 loss to the Astros, en route to their worst record at the ASG since 2004. Only another 74 games to go....
 

MLB 2017

I'm seeing the Cubs play at Wrigley at the end of August. Really hope they've still got something to play for! Not looking good at the moment.
 

MLB 2017

I'm seeing the Cubs play at Wrigley at the end of August. Really hope they've still got something to play for! Not looking good at the moment.

Seems as though this season may be a case of after the Lord Mayor's show for them, following last year's long awaited triumph. All may not be harmonious in the dressing room - already they've released their catcher, basically for disciplinary reasons after a spat, and several players are well below last season's performances.

They're 7 1/2 games back, so will need to get on a run soon if they're to remain in contention but, anyway, a trip to see a game at Wrigley Field is a great experience, irrespective of whether the Cubs are doing well or not.
 

MLB 2017

I'm seeing the Cubs play at Wrigley at the end of August. Really hope they've still got something to play for! Not looking good at the moment.

Even if they haven't, Wrigley Field is a special place to visit, especially if it's a day game.
Just ask Ferris Bueller.
 

MLB 2017

Even if they haven't, Wrigley Field is a special place to visit, especially if it's a day game.
Just ask Ferris Bueller.

If you are going to see a baseball game Wrigley Field should be top of your list.
 

MLB 2017

If you are going to see a baseball game Wrigley Field should be top of your list.

Yep, looking forward to it. I've done Dodger Stadium (several times), AT&T Park, Turner Field (before the Braves left), Citi Field, Dolphin Stadium (when the Marlins were there, awful) and a tour of Fenway Park. Hoping to squeeze in a trip to the Fixed Rate Field or whatever it's called now as well although that looks less impressive.
 

MLB 2017

Even if they haven't, Wrigley Field is a special place to visit, especially if it's a day game.
Just ask Ferris Bueller.

It's a night game against the Pirates. The day before the White Sox are at home to the Tigers for a Sunday afternoon game so I'll probably pop along for a bit of that as well even though it is a dead rubber. At $8 a ticket it's worth it just for an hour so though...
 

MLB 2017

It's a night game against the Pirates. The day before the White Sox are at home to the Tigers for a Sunday afternoon game so I'll probably pop along for a bit of that as well even though it is a dead rubber. At $8 a ticket it's worth it just for an hour so though...

If it's your first game at Wrigley you can get a certificate from inside the stadium attesting to the fact - a quaint little custom but quite popular. Also, they do quite an impressive range of craft beers inside the ground, some of which are a little higher strength than is usually the case at sporting events. I had a few the first time I went there and ended up quite squiffy!
 

MLB 2017

Thirty years of following baseball and I still couldn't give a toss about the All-Star game.
 

MLB 2017

Thirty years of following baseball and I still couldn't give a toss about the All-Star game.

I'm not sure you're alone in that opinion. The authorities made it more relevant, after interest had dwindled through the 70's and 80's, by awarding the winners home advantage in the subsequent World Series. However, I understand that is not the case this year, for some reason. I don't know why they've done that, but it's hard to see it being a positive move.
 

MLB 2017

Thirty years of following baseball and I still couldn't give a toss about the All-Star game.

The voting for the ASG has got way out of hand.

The last time I was out there you get a card with the players names on it and you punch out a little circle next to the relevant player you want to vote for, but can vote as many times as you like.
Now you can also vote online a minimum number of times a day, and also use a # on Twitter as many times as you can.
 

MLB 2017

The voting for the ASG has got way out of hand.

The last time I was out there you get a card with the players names on it and you punch out a little circle next to the relevant player you want to vote for, but can vote as many times as you like.
Now you can also vote online a minimum number of times a day, and also use a # on Twitter as many times as you can.

Alas, use of those cards, with the little circles that you used to push out alongside the player's name, was phased out a few years ago. It's all electronic now. More environmentally friendly I suppose, if somewhat less quaint.
 

MLB 2017

Alas, use of those cards, with the little circles that you used to push out alongside the player's name, was phased out a few years ago. It's all electronic now. More environmentally friendly I suppose, if somewhat less quaint.

It was a long time ago.

The Expos were still in Montreal.
 

MLB 2017

It was a long time ago.

The Expos were still in Montreal.

My goodness. That WAS a long time ago.

There's a (gradually) growing push to get a Major League franchise back in Montreal. I think one of the stumbling blocks is that the Olympic Stadium is not considered suitable as a regular venue, so a new home needs to be provided. Superficial evidence suggests an appetite for it locally; the Blue Jays have played some Spring Training games there over the past few seasons and the crowds have been enormous - I think there was 50,000 at one of them.

Whenever the MLB Commissioner comes to Canada, he gets asked about it.
 

MLB 2017

My goodness. That WAS a long time ago.

There's a (gradually) growing push to get a Major League franchise back in Montreal. I think one of the stumbling blocks is that the Olympic Stadium is not considered suitable as a regular venue, so a new home needs to be provided. Superficial evidence suggests an appetite for it locally; the Blue Jays have played some Spring Training games there over the past few seasons and the crowds have been enormous - I think there was 50,000 at one of them.

Whenever the MLB Commissioner comes to Canada, he gets asked about it.
The Olympic Stadium was an awful place to watch baseball.

It was only finally paid for in full 40 years after the olympics in 1976.
 

MLB 2017

The Olympic Stadium was an awful place to watch baseball.

It was only finally paid for in full 40 years after the olympics in 1976.

Yes, I recall that stadium being something of a financial White Elephant and taking decades to get paid for. Listening to comments from the MLB authorities, I get the impression they are looking for assurances from Montreal that they are committed to funding a new facility. I have no idea whether memories of the Olympic Stadium are influencing any decisions, though it would be understandable.
 

MLB 2017

Yes, I recall that stadium being something of a financial White Elephant and taking decades to get paid for. Listening to comments from the MLB authorities, I get the impression they are looking for assurances from Montreal that they are committed to funding a new facility. I have no idea whether memories of the Olympic Stadium are influencing any decisions, though it would be understandable.

Obviously there won't be another expansion, so which of the current teams will move back to Montreal if MLB say yes.
 

MLB 2017

Obviously there won't be another expansion, so which of the current teams will move back to Montreal if MLB say yes.

I'm not so sure that an expansion is out of the question, though I'm not following it that closely - it may be you know something I don't.

Of the existing bunch, I don't think that Tampa Bay are very fondly regarded by the locals (or anyone else, for that matter) and attendances are embarrassing. However, I've no idea whether that sort of thing is taken into account when deciding about relocating a franchise? I presume that Washington won't be moving back.
 

MLB 2017

Obviously there won't be another expansion, so which of the current teams will move back to Montreal if MLB say yes.

Montreal is not a baseball town. That's why the Expos morphed into the Washington Nationals.
 

MLB 2017

A modest improvement for the Blue Jays. Last Sunday they lost 19-1, yesterday they manged to get it down to 11-1.
 

MLB 2017

Cody Bellinger hits for the cycle in a 7-1 win for The Dodgers at The Miami Marlins.
 

MLB 2017

win number 63 already and 34 games over .500! Impressive stuff

Dodgers and Astros are leaving the rest of the league in their wake.
Word is the Astros would like to add a starter, and the Dodgers would like to strengthen their bullpen for the post-season.

The Washington Nationals rank exactly last in bullpen ERA, if they could address that issue, they would probably be up there with the above two. They have great offense from the likes of Bryce Harper, Zimmerman and Murphy and a fantastic starting rotation. It's all there except for the bullpen.
 

MLB 2017

The Washington Nationals rank exactly last in bullpen ERA, if they could address that issue, they would probably be up there with the above two. They have great offense from the likes of Bryce Harper, Zimmerman and Murphy and a fantastic starting rotation. It's all there except for the bullpen.

Yes, the National's bullpen has been embarassing - everything else is as good as anyone.
 

MLB 2017

Adrian Beltre gets his 3,000th hit.
 
Last edited:

MLB 2017

Blue Jays score 7 in the bottom of the ninth to beat The Angels 11-10.
 

MLB 2017

Dodgers with another walk off win, on a two run double from Kyle Farmer, in his first MLB at bat.
 
Back
Top Bottom