Our Corners?

Aussie Bee

Active member
Joined
28 Dec 2000
Messages
7,295
Reaction score
1,744
Location
Perth Australia

Our Corners?

Last night whilst following the game on the BBC live scores page i noticed that at one stage in the first half we had something like 5 corners with no shots on goal.

What's going on with our corners? I know we haven't got a towering presence in the box (usually) to nod a cross in but surely we can get the ball into a position to fire in a shot even if its outside of the box?

I don't want to criticize them for the sake of it - Heaven forbid they are performing so well it is astounding! - but this is one area where we can practice improve isn't it?
 

Our Corners?

Not our best element of play
 

Our Corners?

We seem to score very few goals from set plays and at the moment are free scoring from open play so in once sense our limited attacks from corners does not affect us
 

Our Corners?

Last night whilst following the game on the BBC live scores page i noticed that at one stage in the first half we had something like 5 corners with no shots on goal.

What's going on with our corners? I know we haven't got a towering presence in the box (usually) to nod a cross in but surely we can get the ball into a position to fire in a shot even if its outside of the box?

I don't want to criticize them for the sake of it - Heaven forbid they are performing so well it is astounding! - but this is one area where we can practice improve isn't it?

I would imagine that one of our analysts has found that pumping balls into the box at someone's head very rarely results in a goal. Our set plays for the most part are very inventive.
 

Our Corners?

Stats show I believe that there's about as much (little) chance of the oppo scoring whilst breaking from a corner.
 

Our Corners?

Stats show I believe that there's about as much (little) chance of the oppo scoring whilst breaking from a corner.

If you look at the statiistics board on the grapevine there is quite a few on corners and crosses. For me the stats show how few goals are scored from corners and from crosses. Lively debate on this. Enjoy.
 

Our Corners?

Believe the statistic is something like 1 in 30 corners results in a goal. So, especially when playing a team with towering defenders, sometimes not worth just pumping it in and hoping for the best.
 

Our Corners?

Wasn't Tarkys goal at MK in April the only goal we scored from a corner last season? The previous one was HD at Wembley. Its never been a strength of ours but we seem to be doing ok nevertheless.
 

Our Corners?

I think, at this level, unless you have two or three marauding giants, you're not going to score often directly from corners by just loading the ball into the box and hoping. If we go direct, it is often past the far post with usually Douglas trying to get around the back of the mob. Our game is based on quick movement on the deck and our attempts from corners reflect that. The most important thing, again at this level, is to retain possession and a hoof into the box for one of the opposition central defenders to clear long for a quick breakaway is very dangerous... how many of our attacks yesterday were from us defending corners or set plays? I'm happy with four on the floor!
 

Our Corners?

For those who have the time here is an article on how to take corners. Enjoy.

http://www.soccerperfected.com/category/corner-kicks/

And this

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/05/why-goal-value-of-corners-is-almost.html

I have argued in the statistics forum that the net effect of having a corner is zeo. To be controversial the chance of scoring is abot the same as conceding a goal as the other team counter attacks from the corner. Interesting WB likes to leave players up at opponents corners.
 

Our Corners?

Bring back John Docherty, he used to score direct !!!
 

Our Corners?

Corners are probably our weakest area. I'd like to see Dean on the near post for a flick on. At least that creates a bit of confusion and opportunity. At the mo defences simply shut us out.
 

Our Corners?

With the exception of Dean (possibly also Craig?) our aerial ability is limited - i.e. we're a bit short. This is certainly a disadvantage in the traditional corner lofting the ball in the direction of the penalty spot or closer to goal.

Wasn't John Bostock the last Bees player to score direct from a corner ?
 

Our Corners?

Probably a false memory but I can remember Blisset scoring several goals at the far post following a flick on at the near post.
 

Our Corners?

We tried to sign the dead ball expert who currently coaches at ac milan
 

Our Corners?

Doesn't matter how good the delivery is if we don't have players who attack the ball.
 

Our Corners?

Toral's corners were not that great yesterday.. as said no one was the attacking the ball..
 

Our Corners?

Pritchard in the second half put in a wicked ball into the back post area.............. Only thing was no one had gambled into that area. People were moaning but i thought it was a class delivery.
 

Our Corners?

didn't Dougie score from a corner against Reading this season ??
 

Our Corners?

I think, at this level, unless you have two or three marauding giants, you're not going to score often directly from corners by just loading the ball into the box and hoping. If we go direct, it is often past the far post with usually Douglas trying to get around the back of the mob. Our game is based on quick movement on the deck and our attempts from corners reflect that. The most important thing, again at this level, is to retain possession and a hoof into the box for one of the opposition central defenders to clear long for a quick breakaway is very dangerous... how many of our attacks yesterday were from us defending corners or set plays? I'm happy with four on the floor!

Yep, this is the definitive view in my opinion.
 

Our Corners?

with us having such quality dead ball specialists like Pritchard, Toral, Judge I'm surprised we don't chip it to the edge of the box and have one of them catch it on the volley at goal
 

Our Corners?

with us having such quality dead ball specialists like Pritchard, Toral, Judge I'm surprised we don't chip it to the edge of the box and have one of them catch it on the volley at goal

.............a la Glenn Poole..............
 

Our Corners?

Putting it simply, we have to find a way to pose more threat from corners, whether directly or indirectly. On Saturday they were very poor.
 

Our Corners?

We need to get in a specialist to deal with taking corners. There must be loads of has-been managers out there, who perhapsed specialised in the long-ball game, who could come in and do a job. Not having a go at Warburton, but horses for courses and all that. There will be times this season when we will struggle to score goals - happens to all teams - and the occasional goal from a corner will be very helpful.
 

Our Corners?

we did try and sign dead ball coaching guru Gianni Vio last year from Fiorentina before ac Milan gazumped us!
 

Our Corners?

we did try and sign dead ball coaching guru Gianni Vio last year from Fiorentina before ac Milan gazumped us!

Hmmm, I was thinking of someone more like Harry Bassett or John Beck.
 

Our Corners?

Ok I will now say what I have been thinking for quite a while now.

I feel more comfortable when we are facing a corner rather than taking one as our ability to break away out of defence at pace makes us far more of a threat.

We look far more likely to score from a quick break as we so nearly did against Fulham than from our own corners.
 

Our Corners?

I think, at this level, unless you have two or three marauding giants, you're not going to score often directly from corners by just loading the ball into the box and hoping. If we go direct, it is often past the far post with usually Douglas trying to get around the back of the mob. Our game is based on quick movement on the deck and our attempts from corners reflect that. The most important thing, again at this level, is to retain possession and a hoof into the box for one of the opposition central defenders to clear long for a quick breakaway is very dangerous... how many of our attacks yesterday were from us defending corners or set plays? I'm happy with four on the floor!

Well said, so am I !!
 

Our Corners?

The only goal we have scored from a corner this season is Dougie against Reading and that was a foul!!
 

Our Corners?

Last season we also scored from a corner away to Bristol C, with Donaldon scoring at the far post (not with a header either…) and then Tarky's too at MK. We never really looked like scoring from them, I don't know why people got excited by them, or maybe it's just an excuse to spur on the team.

We do look a lot better at them this year, we look like we're trying to be more creative on them and it has nearly worked a few times (and has worked once). We don't have the tallest team (which I'm fine with as it's not a trait we go for) so you have to be more creative to get something. We are trying and I think we'll get a couple more this season, though I agree delivery wasn't the best on Saturday.
 

Our Corners?

I think we're (that is us supporters) still adjusting to life in the higher leagues. The days of the punt'n'chase / hoof'n'hope game were gone with the MW/UR plan and now taken further with the current management team. This also applies to corners, where just heaving the ball to the penalty spot and hoping to get a head or toe on it are not the way we play; we now "take care of the football", which requires patience to watch. Many of our corners end up with a pass back to our defenders, where we can start again working forward... but we still have the ball and the opposition cannot score, while we still have the opportunity to.
 

Our Corners?

I think we're (that is us supporters) still adjusting to life in the higher leagues. The days of the punt'n'chase / hoof'n'hope game were gone with the MW/UR plan and now taken further with the current management team. This also applies to corners, where just heaving the ball to the penalty spot and hoping to get a head or toe on it are not the way we play; we now "take care of the football", which requires patience to watch. Many of our corners end up with a pass back to our defenders, where we can start again working forward... but we still have the ball and the opposition cannot score, while we still have the opportunity to.

Nobody is expecting us to go back to hoofing the ball up the field. This is specifically to do with corners, where it seems the coaching staff do not have the skills to cause the opposition trouble. It needs sorting out.
 

Our Corners?

Nobody is expecting us to go back to hoofing the ball up the field. This is specifically to do with corners, where it seems the coaching staff do not have the skills to cause the opposition trouble. It needs sorting out.

Apart from Chelsea I struggle to think of any team that does well at corners, it creates confusion but no doubt Ade can tell us how many teams score from them

Personally I dont see it as much of an issue
 

Our Corners?

Nobody is expecting us to go back to hoofing the ball up the field. This is specifically to do with corners, where it seems the coaching staff do not have the skills to cause the opposition trouble. It needs sorting out.


Coaching staff do not have the skills !!..........yeah let's sack 'em all and get Andy Scott back :rolleyes:
 

Our Corners?

I'm not sure I'd call it a moan, but as a team we want to improve in all areas to strive to be the best we can be. And this is one area we can improve.

We do look better than last year but no doubt the coaching staff will want to see us improve the chances we make from them.
 

Our Corners?

What gets me is that we press press press – get the killer ball in behind to cause the corner - then waste it - I like the volley idea from edge of the area - at least get a shot on goal! Maybe Sam can inswing them when he gets on :)
 

Our Corners?

Apart from Chelsea I struggle to think of any team that does well at corners, it creates confusion but no doubt Ade can tell us how many teams score from them

Personally I dont see it as much of an issue

In fact of the 916 goals scored in the Premier League this season, just 122 have resulted from corners - a measly 13.31 per cent.
Unsurprisingly given their 13-point lead at the top, Champions-elect Manchester United have been the most successful, with 14 goals resulting from flag-kicks.
The latest came last Sunday, when Michael Carrick prodded in the opening goal against Stoke City after just four minutes, setting United on their way to a 2-0 win.
Goals from similar situations have been a common thread through United's successful league season.

Right back in August, Robin van Persie headed in an Antonio Valencia delivery to complete a late comeback win at Southampton, while headed goals from Jonny Evans and Patrice Evra contributed to a 3-0 win at Newcastle in October.
Wayne Rooney supplied pinpoint corners for Evans and Darren Fletcher during a 3-1 home win over Queens Park Rangers the following month.

Newcastle score one goal and Arsenal three.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2311576/Premier-League-corner-conversion-statistics-Manchester-United-best-Newcastle-United-worst.html#ixzz3Kg5sWtTq
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
 

Our Corners?

Graham may have done but I seem to recall Docherty doing it on more than one occassion

Docherty and Graham both did, as did Salvage and (maybe) Bowles?

Some players used to deliberately try to score directly from corners. But these days it is exceptionally rare to see it. There is a great degree of skill involved in getting the ball to boomerang back towards the far post at pace. Have modern players lost this art? Are they being told not to attempt it? Is the modern ball unsuitable?
 

Our Corners?

Docherty and Graham both did, as did Salvage and (maybe) Bowles?

Some players used to deliberately try to score directly from corners. But these days it is exceptionally rare to see it. There is a great degree of skill involved in getting the ball to boomerang back towards the far post at pace. Have modern players lost this art? Are they being told not to attempt it? Is the modern ball unsuitable?

Hi Full Metal. I know this is off topic, but I couldn't help wondering if you were related to the Wolves manager?
 

Our Corners?

It's all about surprise & inventiveness. Jack Charlton (presumably via Don Revie) standing on the keeper's toes; Terry Mcdermott's Liverpool volleys; near post flicks. All have created mayhem from corners until defences adapted their counter measures.
Do we vary our approach depending on how the opposition set up to defend the corner (e.g. zone/ man for man; men guarding the posts or not?) Or, do we just run through the repertoire 'cos it looked good in training? I have no idea 'cos I'm too caught up in the game to analyse!
 
Back
Top Bottom