Possible New Managers

loyalbee

INVALID EMAIL
Joined
22 Feb 2004
Messages
1,964
Reaction score
0
Location
Marlow/Paignton/Bournemouth

Possible New Managers

new manager

any suggestions for a new manager then, considering we have little to no money to pay him
 

Possible New Managers

Perryman
 

Possible New Managers

Waterlooville Bee said:

:D :D :D

Theres always someone prepared to lighten a bad Sunday morning with a cracking joke isn't there!!
 

Possible New Managers

Greenholme Bee said:
:D :D :D

Theres always someone prepared to lighten a bad Sunday morning with a cracking joke isn't there!!

Really?
Any other ideas then?
 

Possible New Managers

One of the best managers we've had in recent years where the club have had no cash was Fred Callaghan - he went into non league and picked up some great players (Terry Hurlock, Gary Roberts etc....) all from non-league.

Perhaps that's the way to go, someone who knows the non-league circuit and has some knowledge of who's hot and who's not.

I get a bit stuck from there on, as my non-league knowledge is not that great (although as a Bees fan, it seems like it's only a matter of time!)

One set up that seems to be working is 25 miles down the M3 at Aldershot Town. Terry Brown is the manager there, and Stuart Cash (remember him) is his assistant. I seem to recall another ex-Bee, Paul Priddy is there GK coach.

Surely we would have more pulling power that Aldershot?
 

Possible New Managers

35 (or so) "managers" have been sacked so far this season - Have all those clubs got new personel? of course they haave

Can we please **** this argument off of "who would come in and who can we afford"? as i said LAST YEAR we cant afford to keep the bloke - look at the poor football, poor crowds? and who can blame the stayaways

I'm just glad I'm not wasting $5000 this year coming over for the run in like i did in webbs time

Peter Gilham could do a better job in his little spare time then the clown

OPEN YOUR EYES _ WE ARE sh*t DUE TO DOWNES
 

Possible New Managers

Romsey Bee said:
Somebody told once he was taxi driver. Is that true?

yes - so what? if you need to eat you need to work

holder had a stall at the markets after he got the arse - make you feel better? :confused:
 

Possible New Managers

Andy feeley - knows the club, being serving his apprenticeship at Bury, right attitude to kick start our players!
 

Possible New Managers

Claire said:
could we actually find someone who would want to come to brentford on a minimum wage and no money to spend?

Yes we could. Would they be any good? Debatable, but the worst position we could be in would be where we were when Coppell left and Wally took over. With an untried manager who could go either way. The real question is is this worse than the current situation?
 

Possible New Managers

Aussie Bee said:
yes - so what? if you need to eat you need to work

holder had a stall at the markets after he got the arse - make you feel better? :confused:

:confused:

And good on him.

Just wondered what he was up to! Thought he was involved at Woking at some point as well.

Got a problem with people working the markets then Aussie :confused:

I can read things into posts that aren't there as well. :mad:
 

Possible New Managers

Claire said:
could we actually find someone who would want to come to brentford on a minimum wage and no money to spend?

see about 5000 thousand other threads Claire - lets not get side tracked again

Downes has to GO - you could do a better job - and be cheaper lol
(and sexier)

can you imagine the calendar chaps ?

Claire warms up the team
Claire shows the boys whats what
Claire celebrating the fa cup win with the boys in the spa (if we had one)

go for it claire

but really - yes mate - we will get applicants - can they be ANY WORSE then 1/15? or 1/17 if you include all games?

SACK THE CLOWN
 

Possible New Managers

Romsey Bee said:
:confused:


I can read things into posts that aren't there as well. :mad:

sorry rb - heated at the moment - what did you mean by your post?

so he was a taxi driver so what? i've been lots of things before ending up loaded (with drugs lol)
 

Possible New Managers

Aussie Bee said:

Peter Gilham could do a better job in his little spare time then the clown

OPEN YOUR EYES _ WE ARE sh*t DUE TO DOWNES

As I have said before, get Terry Hurlock in - the players would be sh*t scared to lose. The referees might start giving us things as well if ourl Tel or his mates "met" them before the game.
 

Possible New Managers

Aussie Bee said:
sorry rb - heated at the moment - what did you mean by your post?

so he was a taxi driver so what? i've been lots of things before ending up loaded (with drugs lol)

:D

I'm just interested in what our ex players and managers are up too.

Like I heard Mickey Droy ran a pub. Only profession I have a problem with is Wheel Clampers (long story) :D .

If I had a problem with a job, i'd say so! Just annoyed you assumed I had issues with taxi drivers.

Wheel Clampers :mad1:
 

Possible New Managers

micketts501 said:
Perhaps that's the way to go, someone who knows the non-league circuit and has some knowledge of who's hot and who's not.

I get a bit stuck from there on, as my non-league knowledge is not that great (although as a Bees fan, it seems like it's only a matter of time!)

One set up that seems to be working is 25 miles down the M3 at Aldershot Town. Terry Brown is the manager there, and Stuart Cash (remember him) is his assistant. I seem to recall another ex-Bee, Paul Priddy is there GK coach.

Surely we would have more pulling power that Aldershot?

I have to agree that the non league clubs is the place to look, especially the Conference. Unfortunately, a sad reflection of our present state is that we are likely only to offer higher status for a Manager and probably less money. Was our Cup defeat at the hands of Telford a Giant Killing? Eleven v eleven I would be surprised if the Brentford Players earned more. :(

And such is the case at Aldershot. Three years ago they were paying Gary Abbott £1500 a week (Thre Brentford Players) to play Ryman football. While Terry Brown has done an outstanding job, (especially compared to Mr. Borg who he succeeded), I believe he has had a reasonably free hand to bring in who he likes.

One club we should look to is Woking. I don't read very posting on GPG, but I am surprised the name of Glenn Cockerill. When he arrived, Woking I believe were struggling to maintain their Conference status. Today they sit eight in a League full of very strong and reasonable well off clubs. Most clubs promoted usual challenge for Promotion from Division Three. Last years two are top and sixth. I believe they are not the richest of clubs, and Mr. Cockerill's Brentford Connections is well known. Don't know what length of contract he is on at Woking, and this may be a problem.

First the board must do the honourable thing!
 

Possible New Managers

Steve Cotterill did a good job at Cheltenham and then went to Sunderland to be ****ed up by Howard Wilkinson. So far as I know he ain't worked for a year so what about him?
 

Possible New Managers

Given the current position, if Downes goes out then we should bring back Forzini. Seems to be a capable coach, very strong mental-management skills and plays good football when he was around and already knows most of the players and what he can get out of them straight away. We had order when he was here, and the team played better football.

Would be good slap in the face to the departing (if he goes) Downes, and I'm sure we know who fans would have rather kept when Forzini left. And sweet revenge for Forzini? Did Downes get Forzini the sack or what?

Also, Forzini was U-19 england manager/coach or something. Very useful given we rely on a yearly crop of youth players coming through in to the team.

The dream compliment would be Perryman as the so called manager but Forzini as the proper first team coach.
 

Possible New Managers

Ok people don't laugh to much., but how about doing a wycombe, and get andy sinton, i don't know if it would work but could he be worse than Clownes.
 

Possible New Managers

Aussie Bee said:
see about 5000 thousand other threads Claire - lets not get side tracked again

Downes has to GO - you could do a better job - and be cheaper lol
(and sexier)

can you imagine the calendar chaps ?

Claire warms up the team
Claire shows the boys whats what
Claire celebrating the fa cup win with the boys in the spa (if we had one)

go for it claire


aww chucks you guys really love me! lol lol and my first job would get a certain goalkeeper back lol what a thought hey lol
 

Possible New Managers

Russell said:
Steve Cotterill.... as I know he ain't worked for a year so what about him?


i think he is helping out mickey adams at leicester until the end of the season at the moment. but he has got the uefa 'a' badge which means he knows something about football. which is a lot more than downes knows.
 

Possible New Managers

Someone id love to take over at Brentford more than anyone would be Colin Lee.Is it true he used to play for us? He's at Walsall so unless he gets the sack he wont be here anytime soon.

Other than that not too many i can think of, possibly someone like Gavin Peacock who would have contacts in the premiership at Chelsea and Charlton due to his old man, as well as having played in division 1 and 2. But he may be a piss poor manager.
 

Possible New Managers

Andy Sinton

For new manager? what do people think? could maybe play also.
 

Possible New Managers

Caretaker dual role for John Griffin and geoff Taylor, both experienced, know the players and would noy require loads of cash to bring in their own teams.

I appreciate that neither are in the first flush of youth and i beleive taylor indivated not interested but for a short while as joint caretakers.

Worth a thought
 

Possible New Managers

homerbees said:
Someone id love to take over at Brentford more than anyone would be Colin Lee.Is it true he used to play for us?

Colin Lee was our youth team coach when we beat Man United 2-1 in the F.A youth Cup 6th round, not sure why he left though?
 

Possible New Managers

Jim Rourke said:
One club we should look to is Woking. I don't read very posting on GPG, but I am surprised the name of Glenn Cockerill. When he arrived, Woking I believe were struggling to maintain their Conference status. Today they sit eight in a League full of very strong and reasonable well off clubs. Most clubs promoted usual challenge for Promotion from Division Three. Last years two are top and sixth. I believe they are not the richest of clubs, and Mr. Cockerill's Brentford Connections is well known. Don't know what length of contract he is on at Woking, and this may be a problem.

First the board must do the honourable thing!

Cockerill would be my choice aswell. No money, very limited resources compared to the rest of the Conference but he has got a very crap team up to 8th above many strong professional teams.
We wouldn't have to provide accomodation or the like that we may have to with Cotterill and I would have thought he would like a crack at it with us.
 

Possible New Managers

Martin Allen at Barnet would be my choice. From what I have seen of him on SKY he talks a good game and has turned Barnet around. But would he want to come to Brentford.
 

Possible New Managers

I agree with that. Would be a good choice.

Other possibilities:

Steve Cotterill: Just gone to Leicester but only till the end of the season I think.

Perryman: Dont know his situation. Its not always good to go back though.

Graham Westley (Stevenage Manager): Ambitious to get into league management and also local and wealthy. Would probably want a stake in the club.

Glenn Cockerill:

Must be plenty of others.
 

Possible New Managers

I think Brentford would choose between either Steve Cotterill or Glen Roader(former West Ham manager).
 

Possible New Managers

Alan Devonshire's at Maidenhead and been doing a decent job for a few years. Drag him from his comfort zone and give him the job!
 

Possible New Managers

Martin Allen would be a good choice, shame he's at Barnet though.
 

Possible New Managers

Geoff Taylor until a permanent appointment can be made. Possible options:- Perryman, Cotterill, Cockerill or many more that aren't working right now. Advertise the job and interview them properly (I'll help if the current board don't have proper experience in interviewing job candidates).
 

Possible New Managers

christom said:
Caretaker dual role for John Griffin and geoff Taylor, both experienced, know the players and would noy require loads of cash to bring in their own teams.

I appreciate that neither are in the first flush of youth and i beleive taylor indivated not interested but for a short while as joint caretakers.

Worth a thought

This would make sense. Both have done excellent jobs so far. Geoff Taylor has had success with the youth set up and also knows many of the first team players as they have progressed from the youth squad. Does he not also look after the Stiffs? As for Griffin, his talent spotting has made the club many a pound over the years. I hope these two pick the next Brentford team to take the field.
As both are already on the payroll and I guess we would have to give Downes his money to the end of his contract (June ?), there is unlikely to be a permanent appointment until the end of season. Therefore such an ppointment is unlikely to have additional financial impact on the club.

Hounslowbee said:
I think Brentford would choose between ......... Glen Roader(former West Ham manager).

rofl lol rofl

:nono: Please NO! Has a great first season and then things fall apart.

Some good suggestions on here. Steve Cotterill would be interesting, but again I think he had money at Cheltleham.
Forzini I think would be good. Must be for the right reasons (No just to have a dig at Downes), but would you go back to work at somewhere where you won unfair dismissal?
Martin Allen would be very good. Again has done wonders in the Conference with no money and look likely to be in the end of season play offs.
Still favour Cockerill because of his Brentford connections.

But first, the Board need to 'do the buz' tomorrow morning.
 

Possible New Managers

peter reid could help us out in his spare time!:idea:
 

Possible New Managers

How about Nigel Clough and his Burton Albion sidekick Gary Crosby? Untried at league level but seemingly doing a reasonable job at Burton.

or

Steve Perryman - great coach, not sure about his man management skills. Perhaps aided and abetted by Kevin Lock - stayed with us when Webb left to help Adams during that awful season. A very nice fella - what ever happened to him?
 

Possible New Managers

Gary Johnson - Yeovil Town?
Mark Wright - Chester City?
Terry Brown - Aldershot Town?
Jimmy Quinn - Shrewsbury Town?

Personally, I think we need to look to the lower divisions for a new manager with the appropriate know-how and financial demands to match what we need.

I'm sure the would not be a shortage of applicants for the job, and there may be people like Graham Rix, Roy Evans, Steve kember etc. for the higher divisions who would be willing to drop down.

IMO we need someone who can come in and motivate the players and get them playing to a good passing and attacking system (almost goes without saying). We also need someone who is young enough to relate to the young squad that we have, but old enough to be able to exert their experience over them

All of those named above have experience and good reputations to go with it, although they are also currently in good positions table-wise with their respective clubs and may not be willing to leave with little more than a quarter of the season remaining.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see any of them as our new manager though.
 

Possible New Managers

Martin Allen is exactly the type of manager we need though he wouldn't leave Barnet, possibly John Salako who's career is coming to an end and talks a good game when ive seen him on tv.

Dont see what Nigel Clough has done so brilliantly at Burton though
 

Possible New Managers

Jim Rourke said:
But first, the Board need to 'do the buz' tomorrow morning.

Is this actually going to happen? I'm not being sarcastic, but I presumed that because nothing had happened by now, he had avoided the sack for another game.
 

Possible New Managers

homerbees said:
Dont see what Nigel Clough has done so brilliantly at Burton though

I think he has done a reasonable job given the resources - took Burton into the conference. Remember homerbees, Shrewsbury, Barnet, Woking and Aldershot are all established third division/conference sides.

Burton Albion with Clough stats:

Unibond Premier League Winners - 2001/2002

Dr. Martens Premier Division Runners Up - 2000/2001, 1999/2000
 

Possible New Managers

Perhaps someone can run me through how we are going to afford any of the afformentioned managers?

As much as I'd like Terry Brown, I reckon that most conference managers are probably on more than Wally earns at the mo - not to mention the fact that we'd have to pay compensation for poaching.

Steve Cotterill? Mmm. Probably earns more as a Sky pundit than we can afford to pay.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but IF Wally does resign or is sacked there will only be one of three replacements.
Step forward Geoff Taylor, Gary Thompson or Jim Stannard.
 

Possible New Managers

Martin Allen,Brian Horton?????
 

Possible New Managers

Brentford Bob said:
Perhaps someone can run me through how we are going to afford any of the afformentioned managers?

As much as I'd like Terry Brown, I reckon that most conference managers are probably on more than Wally earns at the mo - not to mention the fact that we'd have to pay compensation for poaching.

Steve Cotterill? Mmm. Probably earns more as a Sky pundit than we can afford to pay.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but IF Wally does resign or is sacked there will only be one of three replacements.
Step forward Geoff Taylor, Gary Thompson or Jim Stannard.

You're absolutely right BB, it is all pie in the sky and wishful thinking. I thought I'd add my two pence worth all the same.
 

Possible New Managers

BB's absolutely right. Advertising and appointing a new manager and getting them in post could take several weeks, it will be too late to have any impact by then and I doubt we could affford most people mentioned.

If Wally does go then the Board have to have a replacement lined up beforehand otherwise the reality is its' Thompson and Stannard for the rest of the season.

If it does happen a novice is exactly what we don't want, keeping us out of the mire is no job for a rookie.
 

Possible New Managers

John Cornforth would be a good appointment until the end of the season, got Exeter out of their relegation problem in a short spell of time. Is currently doing some work in Exeter, though he would do a good job imo.
 

Possible New Managers

Jim Rourke said:
One club we should look to is Woking. I don't read very posting on GPG, but I am surprised the name of Glenn Cockerill. When he arrived, Woking I believe were struggling to maintain their Conference status. Today they sit eight in a League full of very strong and reasonable well off clubs. Most clubs promoted usual challenge for Promotion from Division Three. Last years two are top and sixth. I believe they are not the richest of clubs, and Mr. Cockerill's Brentford Connections is well known. Don't know what length of contract he is on at Woking, and this may be a problem.

First the board must do the honourable thing!

I could walk to Woking from where I am,and believe me Glenn is doing a fantastic job down there,the fan's love him and the local press are keeping off his back.I know that this is a trivial point,but something else that has to be taken on board is that if we take someone one who lives more than 100 miles away at the moment,how the hell are they going to find a place to live in with the wages that we are looking to pay?

:cool: :cool:
 

Possible New Managers

Brentford Bob said:
Perhaps someone can run me through how we are going to afford any of the afformentioned managers?


i agree that most managers wouldnt look twice due to the salary we would offer. but some of the names being thrown in (ie cotterill and co) probably dont need the money.
some will be looking for a way back into football and this could be a good chance for them to get noticed/prove themselves or put themself back in the shop window as it were.

i dont think we can look for a long term successor as yet because of our dire position in the league and the fact we dont know what division we will be playing in next season.

we can move on and look for a long term replacement after our short term future in this division is secured.
 
Back
Top Bottom