Ref Watch 2016/17

ladbroke

Well-known member
Joined
15 Jul 2006
Messages
18,096
Reaction score
5,839
Location
Arbroath, NE Scotland

Ref Watch 2016/17

So we will find out on Monday/Tuesday of next week who will kick off our season against Huddersfield...
Who do we want to avoid? Not sure who is in the list to referee our division.
All I know is that I a still way down the divisions having just joined the Combined Counties but one day I will be up there.

Is Attwell still with us? Suppose the match isn't high profile enough for him.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Ref Watch 2016/17

no more Fred Graham :bound:
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Ref Watch 2016/17

No mention of the referee, in the reports, so I assume he did a good job?! :)
He kept things moving and the booking for McEachran was probably deserved as their player had evaded at least 3 tackle attempts and was in danger of breaking forward before Josh brought him down; at that point he was the only midfielder putting himself about. On the other hand, in the second half he should have booked their player who brought down Saunders on our right... but he did book the same player, I think, a few minutes later for a similar tackle closer to their box.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Very good ref today Steve Martin albeit a not too difficult game to ref. He's highly rated and will be in the Prem in the next couple of years. Apparently his father was a league ref John Martin ? Reffed us a few times notably v Liverpool in the old Milk Cup when they put a giant bottle of milk on the centre spot before kick off
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Very good ref today Steve Martin albeit a not too difficult game to ref. He's highly rated and will be in the Prem in the next couple of years. Apparently his father was a league ref John Martin ? Reffed us a few times notably v Liverpool in the old Milk Cup when they put a giant bottle of milk on the centre spot before kick off

I thought he was a bit fussy to be honest.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Got a shocker on Tuesday, Tim Robinson. Never gives us a thing and generally finds a way of awarding a penalty against us.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Got a shocker on Tuesday, Tim Robinson. Never gives us a thing and generally finds a way of awarding a penalty against us.

This sort of analysis is just nonsense. Do you REALLY think that a ref turns up and thinks "I'm really going to **** over Brentford on Tuesday, probably send off a couple and then award 9 penalties"?

Why even post this sh*t?
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

This sort of analysis is just nonsense. Do you REALLY think that a ref turns up and thinks "I'm really going to **** over Brentford on Tuesday, probably send off a couple and then award 9 penalties"?

Why even post this sh*t?

I thought this forum encouraged posters to offer their opinion even if others don't agree as long as not abusive?

Your reply is rather offensive
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

You're quick enough to pull us up Nana,in my opinion there was no need for your response to NLB.

And I don't think that there a need for NLB to essentially call a referee a cheat (and for no discernable reason). That is disgraceful IMHO.

How does implying referees are cheats get young refs into the game in the rain over at Gunnersbury Park? This sort of attitude needs to be stamped out. If you don't agree then more fool you. You can wonder why your Sunday League Team or your son's team or whatever can't get a ref.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

And I don't think that there a need for NLB to essentially call a referee a cheat (and for no discernable reason). That is disgraceful IMHO.

How does implying referees are cheats get young refs into the game in the rain over at Gunnersbury Park? This sort of attitude needs to be stamped out. If you don't agree then more fool you. You can wonder why your Sunday League Team or your son's team or whatever can't get a ref.

You're reading it different to me, no inference to cheating just the thoughts of an honest man? By the way I retired several years ago and to the best of my knowledge don't have a son
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

This sort of analysis is just nonsense. Do you REALLY think that a ref turns up and thinks "I'm really going to **** over Brentford on Tuesday, probably send off a couple and then award 9 penalties"?

Why even post this sh*t?
Why not look at the games he has reffed against us first and look at what happened. Cheap penalties at MK Dons and Crewe and NOT awarding us a penalty when Pritchard was taken down in the Norwich game in 2014. He did award Shrewsbury a pen against us in 2013 and then rescind his decision. And I didn't call him a cheat, merely imply he is incompetent.
 
Last edited:

Ref Watch 2016/17

Why not look at the games he has reffed against us first and look at what happened. Cheap penalties at MK Dons and Crewe and NOT awarding us a penalty when Pritchard was taken down in the Norwich game in 2014. He did award Shrewsbury a pen against us in 2013 and then rescind his decision. And I didn't call him a cheat, merely imply he is incompetent.

So if he's incompetent rather than a cheat then why state "Never gives us a thing and generally finds a way of awarding a penalty against us." and then repeat that again??
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

So if he's incompetent rather than a cheat then why state "Never gives us a thing and generally finds a way of awarding a penalty against us." and then repeat that again??

Because it is a fact. He has awarded two very soft pens against us and did not give us a stonewall one against Norwich. Not for one moment am I saying that he does it out of malice or bias but we have certainly fallen foul of him - as I am sure other teams have done too as I do not feel that he understands the game.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Doesn't seem to take much to get a free kick in the championship these days
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I thought that giving back chat etc to the officials, that this would be stamped out and players carded? Yet, yesterday, their no.17 (I think?) gave some dogs abuse to the linesman for a decision he didn't agree with and got nothing! Great start from the ref.

Also, their left back should've been carded for deliberately taking down Clarke to stop him getting away. That was a yellow!
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Also, their left back should've been carded for deliberately taking down Clarke to stop him getting away. That was a yellow!

Right in front of the linesman too, didn't the left back take a dive as well & act all surprised that he didn't get the free kick?
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Thought the ref yesterday did a great job, didn't have too much to do but made an effort to speak to players rather than be very card happy. Nice to see a ref have the balls to give a foul throw for a change!
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Thought the ref yesterday did a great job, didn't have too much to do but made an effort to speak to players rather than be very card happy. Nice to see a ref have the balls to give a foul throw for a change!

I don't understand the advantage the thrower was supposed to have got from that one though, yes his upper body was bent over when he released the ball but I'm pretty sure the ball came from over his head as usual initially.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I am already excited about Tuesday's homer against Forest. This brings whole new dimension to it.
On Saturday's ref, if he was "a bit fussy", I'm glad he kept a grip on the game, given the number of Broken Leg Armageddon predictions on here.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I thought he was a bit fussy to be honest.

I was impressed with him on the whole, especially on one occasion in the first half when he saw a foul on us, let play go on for a few seconds and then called the foul when we lost the ball. Good use of advantage I thought.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Thought Mr Stroud was OK yesterday. :)
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

.............the third Chuckle Brother............
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Bar one time when he didn't play advantage, I though he had a good game, and I saw nothing that suggested he suffered from small man syndrome. Excellent performance - although to be fair neither team gave him a hard time. Preston might have been big (and a pretty big team despite the score) but they weren't a hard, cheating team.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

He's still a prancing midget and a show off who has to be the star of the show but his decision making was good yesterday.

Gave a goal kick to us, but then changed his mind when the PNE players surrounded him to complain.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Gave a goal kick to us, but then changed his mind when the PNE players surrounded him to complain.

To be fair his assistant advised him as was better positioned to see the deflection. No ref even in the local park would in their right mind change a decision based on the complaints of the players.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Bar one time when he didn't play advantage, I though he had a good game, and I saw nothing that suggested he suffered from small man syndrome. Excellent performance - although to be fair neither team gave him a hard time. Preston might have been big (and a pretty big team despite the score) but they weren't a hard, cheating team.

For once. :)
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Bar one time when he didn't play advantage, I though he had a good game, and I saw nothing that suggested he suffered from small man syndrome. Excellent performance - although to be fair neither team gave him a hard time. Preston might have been big (and a pretty big team despite the score) but they weren't a hard, cheating team.

He officiated well but he is a posing tart, did you not see the way he called players over to brief them on free kicks, holding the whistle up like holy bread, then his OTT removal of the spray and subsequent pacing out steps for a wall that was further back than the 10 yards.
He is far too theatrical and I think genuinely loves producing red cards, the fact is no one gave him the opportunity on Saturday.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

He officiated well but he is a posing tart, did you not see the way he called players over to brief them on free kicks, holding the whistle up like holy bread, then his OTT removal of the spray and subsequent pacing out steps for a wall that was further back than the 10 yards.
He is far too theatrical and I think genuinely loves producing red cards, the fact is no one gave him the opportunity on Saturday.

TBH, I had my son and Aussie brother in law with me. It meant I spent most of my time listing Bees players in order of importance for my son and explaining to my brother in law why we spent time playing keep-ball instead of hoofing the ball upfield as in Aussie Rules. Didn't see any real reason to grumble about a ref who after all didn't disallow any of our goals, send off one of our players, argue with our manager or completely ignore the offside law. He didn't even headbutt Bentley.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

TBH, I had my son and Aussie brother in law with me. It meant I spent most of my time listing Bees players in order of importance for my son and explaining to my brother in law why we spent time playing keep-ball instead of hoofing the ball upfield as in Aussie Rules. Didn't see any real reason to grumble about a ref who after all didn't disallow any of our goals, send off one of our players, argue with our manager or completely ignore the offside law. He didn't even headbutt Bentley.

You're right I hate the bloke and spend far too much time focusing on his performance. He has improved but I can't forgive him for ruining an away game at Wycombe when he harshly sent off James Wilson and awarded a pen for a dive! He surpassed himself a couple of seasons later at Sheff Utd when he sent off both TC (for being hit by Ginger Kitson) and later Clayton at in one of the greatest games I've ever seen but no thanks to him.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

An inept fool today.

Missed so much and gave incorrect free kicks at crucial moments.

Hope we don't get him again.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

The handball was so obviously a pen. I could see it from here, and I was only listening on Bees player.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

And that was never a free kick to them which they scored the second from. Woods was dragged down and should have been ours
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

.............the centre back nudging Hogan over right in front of the lino and nothing given ............
 
Back
Top Bottom