Saunders Future In Doubt

Saunders Future In Doubt

im not quite sure why everyone believes Sam has the ability. For me he is as limited as Poole was as he cant beat his man and doesnt have great pace. He has a great delivery on him but never seems to be able to engineer the space to use it. Looking at the D&R signings it looks like they were comfortable in a set up and have struggled to fit in to a new one which is a shame as i thought Foster, Saunders and Strevens were going to bring some fluidity to our attack.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

.............think he has found the step up to League 1 a bit much.....................
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

Wouldnt be sad if he went. He hasnt really done it for us, he has stated it has been a frustrating season. Perhaps best we if go our seperate ways.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

He sounds like he's less than 100% committed to Brentford and not ready to fight for his place. Laters :wave:
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

He was the best player on the park vs Norwich (who have romped the league) so surely he can do a job at this level??
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

He was the best player on the park vs Norwich (who have romped the league) so surely he can do a job at this level??

I'm sure even Murray Jones played one decent game for someone once. :wave:
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/...in-doubt-admits-sam-saunders-109642-26344082/

Cant quite understand, fair play to him...
Same with Lionel said....he came to see what he was about and started 1 game which was with 3 to go.

:sorted: Hope Sammy stays tho could be and should be a decent player for us

At this point in time I must say that I have not seen Saunders or Ainsworth set the world alight this season. And with Ainsworth showing his lack of maturity last week he is a liability, cant get rid of him soon enough imo. As for Saunders he has shown glimpses of what he can do no doubt about that but he has not been consistent enough, that is why he has not had more starts. At the beginning of the season the right hand side of midfield was his for the taking, he has not done that in say the way that Waston has on the left hand side. The ball is in his court, he knows he needs to up his game, if he does not then I would agree that his future with BFC must be in doubt. Players can talk and sulk all they want but it is simple, consistently perform on the pitch and the rest will take care of itself. Oh and just because Ainsworth and Saunders have not started as many games as they think they should have they do not dictate what happens and when, that is up to the manager, and imo Scotty has got it exactly right concerning both their situations. If we are serious about moving forward as a club we cant carry passengers.:wave:
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

I'm sure even Murray Jones played one decent game for someone once. :wave:

lol never saw him but heard he was cack. Seriously give Saunders a fresh start next year he has the talent no doubt. Better than these useless sprinters we keep plonking on the right-wing.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

He was the best player on the park vs Norwich (who have romped the league) so surely he can do a job at this level??

The demoralised Norwich we played that night wasn't the one that romped the league though.

I was chuffed when we signed Saunders and after a couple of games was convinced he was the new Jay Tabb but he just hasn't done it. I remember his delivery from set-pieces at Charlton being particularly awful and on Saturday I thought up until the goal he was having a nightmare.

Having said all that, I'd like to see him get another chance. He's looked decent when coming off the bench a few times - Charlton at home springs to mind and clearly has something about him.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

He was the best player on the park vs Norwich (who have romped the league) so surely he can do a job at this level??

We played great as a team that night and were catching a Norwich team on the hop.
You can't argue for a three year contract with one performance a season.
I'm sure Poole made similar comments in the Chronicle last year and look at whats happened to him.
If AS was truly confident in Saunders then I doubt he would have signed Taylor for a fee, then loaned in Bostock, Ainsworth and Grabban.
He's simply not taken his chances like Weston, Legge, Cort and Dave have.
I think relying on him week in and week out league one is step too far at the minute and AS sussed this out some time last september.
Having said that I think he has been the least underwhelming of the Dagenham signings.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

I think his reaction to the goal aganst Yeovil shows that he's committed. Bit of a nothing interview really. Of course he's not happy; he hasn't been playing regularly.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

Having said that I think he has been the least underwhelming of the Dagenham signings.

Have to disagree. I think Foster has been pretty solid. Saunders has been a big disappointment and I'd didn't expect that much from Strevens to start with.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

Have to disagree. I think Foster has been pretty solid. Saunders has been a big disappointment and I'd didn't expect that much from Strevens to start with.

I always thought the rb position would be an easier ride then rw. Ive been disappointed by Foster especially his distribution.
KOC has taken two games to show him up this season and i'd even say there's not much between Osborne and him at rb (and I'm a Karleigh hater, at rb, that is). Bennett and Foster at times where awful together.
I actually thought Foster should have been the most flattered with the move to us out of the three.
I agree that out of the three I had the highest hopes for Saunders, and i've always doubted Strevens' ability to step up, injury or no injury.

It wouldn't look great on AS if Taylor and Saunders both left after mutual terminations.
Has Taylor said anything about returning to us etc:confused:
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

Its up to Saunders to prove his worth. Scott showed good faith in him by giving him a three year contract. Saunders has to prove himself at this level. If he does move on i can see him going back to Dagenham. Sorry Sam you haven't done it for me. If you were playing well you would have had a lot more starts, the shame of it is he does have the ability, maybe he does not have the bottle.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

lol never saw him but heard he was cack. Seriously give Saunders a fresh start next year he has the talent no doubt. Better than these useless sprinters we keep plonking on the right-wing.

Good point but pace frightens defenders as Weston has showed. I can understand why Saunders is upset, he is given a THREE year contract and then the manager signs Taylor who allegedly he had been tracking for a long time. He then brings in John Bostock a centre midfield play maker and puts him on the right wing, then Ainsworth arrives who we don't really know if he's decent or not and finally Lewis Grabban who IMO is the best of all of them.

I don't think he's been given a fair chance by AS, I hope he stays and proves all the doubters wrong.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

Unfortunately, none of the Dagenham trio have had the positive impact I'd hoped for. I'm assuming that as Foster and Saunders linked up so well for Daggers AS had hoped they'd continue that relationship at Lge 1. Foster is OK, uses the ball well but wingers go past him too often for me.
Sam has ability but after a promising start seemed to go off the boil against Cahrlton away, with woeful distribution and his confidence went.
Now he shows nice touches and can pick a pass and beat players but he is far too easily outmuscled. I'm reluctant to write him off just yet and hope he gets a chance to fufil his obvious potential.

Strevs for me is a good player to have on the bench at this level but no better, good in the air, holds the ball up well, but not pacey enough and certainly not a natural goalscorer. I think we all saw that there is a huge gulf in ability between leagues 1 and 2 and players need to step up to survive let alone flourish at league 1.

To be fair, Saunders hasn't had a run of too many consecutive games to find his level and Strevens was unlucky to get injured pre season but I think he'll be moved on.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

Not that bothered if he goes or stays to be honest, he is good in patches and has ability but has been a weak link on occasions.

At his age I can understand if he wants regular footie but doubt it will be in this division. Not sure this sort of interview will go down well with AS.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

I want Sam to do well....however you can only judge on this season....TBH to stay next season Sam will have to score a hat-trick in both of the next 2 games....:wave:
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

I think his reaction to the goal aganst Yeovil shows that he's committed. Bit of a nothing interview really. Of course he's not happy; he hasn't been playing regularly.

Committed to himself, looked more like a "See!? See!? How great I am?"

I think the interview speaks volumes, if he was committed it would be a case of, "I haven't got anything to say I'm concentrating on my form" as opposed to 'woe is me'.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

I was expecting more from Sam, but I wonder just how much he was unsettled by the arrival of Taylor in a fanfare, just one week into the season. AS must have had high hopes for him in the first place, to give him a 3-year contract. I'll be interested to see if he plays these last two games and whether his goal has given his confidence a boost.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

I think his reaction to the goal aganst Yeovil shows that he's committed. Bit of a nothing interview really. Of course he's not happy; he hasn't been playing regularly.

agreed.

nothing to suggest he isn't committed and the article doesn't paint a picture of a player sulking. It shows a frustrated player who is confident he can do a job given the chance...

My opinion is that he is one of our better players but then I wanted Glenn Poole to stay. I prefer seeing someone out there with a nice touch than too many Eddie Hutchinsons...
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

from what ive seen he is out of his depth! simply not good enough.. good luck at darlo saunders!
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

it's really up to him. We have invested heavily in him and after a bright start he really hasn't delivered.

I suspect that if we were made a reasonable offer he would go but I suspect most of us, including AS, feel that there is far more in him than he has been able to show.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

I was expecting more from Sam, but I wonder just how much he was unsettled by the arrival of Taylor in a fanfare, just one week into the season. AS must have had high hopes for him in the first place, to give him a 3-year contract. I'll be interested to see if he plays these last two games and whether his goal has given his confidence a boost.

:imwith:
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

it's really up to him. We have invested heavily in him and after a bright start he really hasn't delivered.

I suspect that if we were made a reasonable offer he would go but I suspect most of us, including AS, feel that there is far more in him than he has been able to show.

agreed, the only question mark is his pace and whether that leaves us slightly lop sided in that regard given Weston on the left flank. Grabban I suspect is more of the type player AS is looking for.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

Not sure i've seen too much evidence of talent from any of the Dagenham trio. The odd flash of talent - such as Sam's goal last week - but overall very disappointing.

At best Sam's contribution has been inconsistent and he has had a fair few starts plus the odd appearance as a sub so he has had chances but not really grabbed them as others have done. Sometimes he seems to go missing during games. Don't think any of the Daggers boys will feature longer term in Andy's plans.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

I believe the issue with SS is that he has found it difficult to adjust to Andy's style and Andy has found it difficult to accommodate Sam. He's not really a 'pacey right winger', in the style of Weston; at D&R he was allowed a much freer role, roaming behind the strikers, but that does not fit with our strict 4-4-2. I still think he has talent, though, and is a great dead-ball man.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

the problem with SS is that he has underachieved so much this season that if we keep him on he will have to improve dramatically from the first game next season otherwise the knives that are already out for him will be hurled his way.

I think AS will look to move him on.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

Everything SS says sounds reasonable and fair-minded. Footballers have a short working life and it's understandable that if things don't come together reasonably quickly they should feel frustrated.
It takes a manager prepared to trust you and give you an extended run to bring the best out of you. Looking at Charlie MacDonald's record before joining Brentford, there's nothing to suggest he would become quite the success he has been at L1 level.
The same applies to SS who is clearly a talented player. He deserves another chance.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

I'm sure even Murray Jones played one decent game for someone once. :wave:

Not for us.

I saw him play for Sutton in a friendly at Hampton and he put a penalty out of the ground and endangered a passing plane.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

Saunders is the new Ian Bolton, Keith Bowen, Steve Wignall, Alan Whitehead etc etc and won't be the last.
It happens.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

I think he should give him another year. Everyone has been at getting rid of Karleigh in the past and look how he is really starting to develop. I think SS will progress in the same way (although hopefully quicker)and although there are a few players who are obviously not going to cut it here, (Taylor, Kabba), he is certainly not one of them. I say give him another gamble. Mind you it will help if he scores a hat trick in each of the last two games.!!!
On similar point, has Karleigh been offered new contract yet?
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

Everything SS says sounds reasonable and fair-minded. Footballers have a short working life and it's understandable that if things don't come together reasonably quickly they should feel frustrated.
It takes a manager prepared to trust you and give you an extended run to bring the best out of you. Looking at Charlie MacDonald's record before joining Brentford, there's nothing to suggest he would become quite the success he has been at L1 level.
The same applies to SS who is clearly a talented player. He deserves another chance.

You can't compare Saunders with Charlie Macdonald; one is a guy who came in wanting to do well, but when he got a professional setback worked as hard as he could to overcome it; when he gets a chance to go on the pitch and play football, everyone in the ground leaves admiring his work rate and determination to succeed, whether he scored or not. The other is Sam Saunders.
I don't feel particularly strongly either way about Saunders as a player - he hasn't shown enough to judge, long term - but if I worked for Andy Scott I don't think I'd put a story in the local press implying that he didn't know what he was doing.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

but if I worked for Andy Scott I don't think I'd put a story in the local press implying that he didn't know what he was doing.

I think the reporting may be a little sensationalised. If you look at what was reported in the Richmond & Twickenham times he basically says the same thing but has a much different slant to it and SS comes across as reasonable and determined.
 

Saunders Future In Doubt

the thing with saunders is that he lacks consistency, some games he can be a real threat whereas others he seems to be out of the game completley and stuggles to do anything with the ball.

Personally, i think hes good enough for the division they just need to find a way to play him properly.
 
Back
Top Bottom