Terry Butcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Butcher?

Certainly wouldn't have a problem with Butcher as manager, but it would go against the grain(yet again!) of what Dickens said last week - when he stated the club were looking for someone with experience at this playing level.

Could it be that Butcher is one of the "experts" whose advice is being sought about the next manager, rather than being a candidate himself?
 

Terry Butcher?

:imwith:
FFS we are a League Two team now be realistic.

We are clearly not going to get an Ferguson or Wenger type manager on the salary and playing budget we have, so whoever gets the poisoned chalice lets give them a fair chance.

Terry Butcher hasn't even got the job yet and we're already slagging him off.

No wonder no one is interested.

:imwith:
 

Terry Butcher?

FFS we are a League Two team now be realistic.

We are clearly not going to get an Ferguson or Wenger type manager on the salary and playing budget we have, so whoever gets the poisoned chalice lets give them a fair chance.

Terry Butcher hasn't even got the job yet and we're already slagging him off.

No wonder no one is interested.

It's like the England job :D

We're really demanding for a lil ole club :sorted:
 

Terry Butcher?

I remember a high profile manager by the name of Frank Mclintock - a pretty useful footballer in his time, an international and one who had many contacts with (as was) league 1 clubs. Can't say he did much as a manager.
Tony Adams didn't succeed at Wycombe but he is much more experienced now having worked with "arry" at Portsmouth would be a far betterchoice than Butcher imho.
 

Terry Butcher?

I for one would love to see Butcher as manager. Wrote to him a few times whilst he was at Motherwell and his PR was superb. Would hopefully attract a few up and coming youngsters. Might even get a decent friendly out of it too.
 

Terry Butcher?

If Butcher is appointed I would imagine half his wages would be paid by the inevitable 'Sky' fee when we play Macclesfield...

Butcher v Ince.....
 

Terry Butcher?

Terry Butcher, should he apply, be offered and accepts the job will get my vote.

As part of the England back 4, he wore the shirt with pride and gave his all whenever he played. Something that has been sadly lacking this season.

He would demand respect and nothing less than 100% from all his players.

Over the years we have only had a handful of players in the England team that put it about and got stuck in, if he can bring half of that to this shambles of a team then bring it on. :sorted:
 

Terry Butcher?

I dont know,I dont know.Big name profile,pretty sh*t record as a manager.I dont go for all this " who do you expect,Wenger? " sh*te.So hes hard and brave.Will he teach every one to go for diving headers 12 inches off the ground?Does he know his tictacs.?A shrewd tictachian is better than a hard shouter imho.Coppell is quiet but gets respect too,as an example.Clownes was a hard man shouter too.I remember quite a lot of Braemar type blokes bonding pretty well with this image and were made to look fools a few months later.Im sure theres a better man for the job with our league experience,Stan Ternant for the old head,or Ince for a new head with passion and a great deal of success in his first season when 'Field looked dead and buried before he took over.

If Terrence is our new man,I will back him 100% from Ealing Rd next season.I hope he comes with a decent number two though.............(sets it up.............)
 

Terry Butcher?

If Butcher is appointed I would imagine half his wages would be paid by the inevitable 'Sky' fee when we play Macclesfield...

Butcher v Ince.....

so, mr greenholme,

in a nutshell, you WOULD like to see terry butcher wearing the puma tracksuit next season?

:fishing:
 

Terry Butcher?

so, mr greenholme,

in a nutshell, you WOULD like to see terry butcher wearing the puma tracksuit next season?

:fishing:

Wouldn't mind seeing Alex Ferguson strutting in a Brentford Adidas one either to be honest!

As I've said in threads before..confidential information should remain just that!

Ofcourse I know what the new kit is and who its made by, I was helping the club on the project, but managerial appointments etc I would not use my friendship with people nor contacts with club employees to reveal inside knowledge nor put them in a position to reveal something sensitive..because you just don't ask..

Thats why ROB makes himself look a ***** because he obviously has a source who tells him things in confidence and then he goes and blurts it out on here..guess what - he won't get that info for long!!!



Asking players at other clubs or contacts within the football industry is fair game though! Although yesterday I was told that someone else was being linked to the club...He turned us down though...
 
Last edited:

Terry Butcher?

Terry Butcher, should he apply, be offered and accepts the job will get my vote.

As part of the England back 4, he wore the shirt with pride and gave his all whenever he played. Something that has been sadly lacking this season.

He would demand respect and nothing less than 100% from all his players.

Over the years we have only had a handful of players in the England team that put it about and got stuck in, if he can bring half of that to this shambles of a team then bring it on. :sorted:



:sorted:
 

Terry Butcher?

As I've said in threads before..confidential information should remain just that!

Ofcourse I know what the new kit is and who its made by, I was helping the club on the project, but managerial appointments etc I would not use my friendship with people nor contacts with club employees to reveal inside knowledge nor put them in a position to reveal something sensitive..because you just don't ask..

Wouldn't mind seeing Alex Ferguson strutting in a Brentford Adidas one either to be honest!

Asking players at other clubs or contacts within the football industry is fair game though! Although yesterday I was told that someone else was being linked to the club...He turned us down though...


fairysnuff Greeny but I think you could say if you would like Terry manager or not,despite if you had info or not?Here I go,I think he would probaly be a good choice,maybe,as long as he brings a tictachian as his number two
 

Terry Butcher?

I dont know,I dont know.Big name profile,pretty sh*t record as a manager.I dont go for all this " who do you expect,Wenger? " sh*te.So hes hard and brave.Will he teach every one to go for diving headers 12 inches off the ground?Does he know his tictacs.?A shrewd tictachian is better than a hard shouter imho.Coppell is quiet but gets respect too,as an example.Clownes was a hard man shouter too.I remember quite a lot of Braemar type blokes bonding pretty well with this image and were made to look fools a few months later.Im sure theres a better man for the job with our league experience,Stan Ternant for the old head,or Ince for a new head with passion and a great deal of success in his first season when 'Field looked dead and buried before he took over.

If Terrence is our new man,I will back him 100% from Ealing Rd next season.I hope he comes with a decent number two though.............(sets it up.............)

:imwith:

I think he would do reasonably well, but his reputation as a player is more of a pull than his rep as a manager. Its not 'slagging him off' to question whether he would be the right appointment - there is no doubting everyone will get behind whoever gets the job - but TB could be the next Leroy, or the next Coppell. IMO he would be good for us in League 2. Could even replace Heywood at the back...
 

Terry Butcher?

The way I see it, Butcher's managerial career comes in two parts.

First, the period when he took over at Coventry as player/manager almost straight after Italia '90. No experience, no money, sacked after a row with the board and moved onto Sunderland as a player a stepped in when Crosby was sacked with little success and went after a year.

Second, he has managed a Scottish minnow and after finishing bottom in the first season got them to 3 mid-table finishes. He's then go to Australia and although it didn't work out, Sydney finished 2nd last season.

My question would be that having never managed (or probably played) outside the top flight in 3 different countries, why the hell does he want to come to Brentford? :scratch:

He's had no success in terms of silverware but how many managers who have only been in the top division have?

I really hope this is not all bullshit because we need a strong man in charge of the side and his name alone will attract players who were kids and saw him as a hero when he was sweating blood for his country.
 

Terry Butcher?

Effin amazed at some of the negative/destructive comments on this speculative news.

You never know whether things will work out or not but I for one would be well chuffed if we got Terry Butcher.
 

Terry Butcher?

Effin amazed at some of the negative/destructive comments on this speculative news.

You never know whether things will work out or not but I for one would be well chuffed if we got Terry Butcher.

How's about Sheringham as player/ assistant :sorted:
 

Terry Butcher?

How's about Sheringham as player/ assistant :sorted:

How about you spend the next 30 mins, in a dark room, working out how we can afford to pay an assistant boss, Teddy's wages...:wave:
 

Terry Butcher?

I could tolerate a season where we do not play scintillating football so long as we get results. I'm in favour of the next manager being a right hard bastard who could deliver along the lines of the Callaghan/Harris team of the early 80s. Stan Ternant would fill this role but, failing that, perhaps Butcher could at least get the respect of the players and send them out to fight for the shirt. He would raise our dismal profile and might be able to engineer some decent loan signings. This could be his last decent chance in management, otherwise it's back to the pundit/celebrity golf circuit.
 

Terry Butcher?

As I was leaving work yesterday Talk Sport said they had received a text claiming that Dyke had been seen having dinner with Terry Butcher. It was just before 7pm last night but I thought little of it after the Sherringham rumours earlier that day. Conculsion - either this rumour has some credance or 'one Steve Sidwell' was listening to Talk Sport last night ??
 

Terry Butcher?

I could tolerate a season where we do not play scintillating football so long as we get results.


i'd love to know when we last played scintilating football... and i hope someone doesn't say Coppell....... probably the first 13 games of 1996/97 and for 1 month last season i guess.
 

Terry Butcher?

when we beat brighton 4-0 on a tuesday night a few years back. It was live on ITV Digital....hmmm.....monkey....
 

Terry Butcher?

Butcher would be a "big" name who might get some of our fading support back and give us a bit of a positive feel that has been sorely missed since MA went.

Could do a lot worse I feel.
 

Terry Butcher?

When was with the Sydney outfit and they played us (PERTH GLORY) I always felt that Sydney were a team trained by a "Butcher" and their disciplinary ecord in the league was the worse. They had more red and yellow cards than any other team in the league. This year they are playing in the Asian Champions League as they were the champions last season (under Butcher).Give him a short contract and see how he goes, with a bit of luck he may be able to get some decent players in.

Are there any Sydney fans on GPG, if so what do they think?

The rumour about his time here at SFC was that the players were behind his sacking due to him being abit old school and high profile part owner Anthony LaPaglia was also not a supporter of Butcher!

Butcher did manage to get SFC to the finals even after 3 points being taken away for (not his error) salary cap breachs, very bad run with injury and no real replacement for Dwight Yorke who was the reason SFC won the season before with Pierre Littbarski in charge!

No doubt that BFC certinaly needed more of the old school type manager as the appointment of 2 nice guys has not been able to get anything from most of the players this season!

I would think that Butcher would get much more respect as a manager from players in England due to his past, than here in Australia!
 
Last edited:

Terry Butcher?

I could tolerate a season where we do not play scintillating football so long as we get results. I'm in favour of the next manager being a right hard bastard who could deliver along the lines of the Callaghan/Harris team of the early 80s. Stan Ternant would fill this role but, failing that, perhaps Butcher could at least get the respect of the players and send them out to fight for the shirt. He would raise our dismal profile and might be able to engineer some decent loan signings. This could be his last decent chance in management, otherwise it's back to the pundit/celebrity golf circuit.

What do the fans want for League 2 next season, pretty football like we were promised by Leroy or battling football with results!

At the end of the day results are all that matter!

:fishing:
 

Terry Butcher?

Butcher played unattractive football while at Sydney, this wasn't helped by massive injuries and Boradroom arguements, Some board members wanted him out months before he left. He must have been paid off for the remaining year on his contract as the contract was linked on him getting the team into the play-offs, he did.
 

Terry Butcher?

I think everyone is missing the obvious, Teddy, Butcher, Incey are all being lined up to play for us next season. Wait the announcement straight after the game today that the new manager of BFC is Greg Dyke..............you heard it here first :D I understand shilton and Viv Anderson will be at the game today to watch their new team also:fishing:

If on the other hand my tip off is incorrect, I think Butcher will bring PR, players and a firm dressing room.......whether that is enough to see us promoted we will only tell around November time.

I really hope they are not rushing this just to keep the punters happy for the funeral against Port Vale, surely there will be a merry go round starting fairly soon which may see more experienced managers at our level available.

Can't be any worse than the ones they chose this season.............i hope:eek:
 

Terry Butcher?

Your pick, I believe, was Paul Ince.

Can you explain how he has a better record than Leroy, or Terry Butcher ?

Only that he seems to have transformed Macc Town since he arrived there, with no money, and in the league we are going to be in :shrug:
What is it in Butchers record that makes you prefer him over Ince, if I may ask? (not that there would be any reason why Ince would leave a potless lge2 club for another potless lge 2 club anyway...)

To be honest, I didn't intend to slag Butcher off, I just thought the enthusiasm on here didn't marry up with the guy's record.

BUT, he would be high profile and he has the type of personaliity that we could all get behind if he was appointed. I wouldn't have a big problem if he got the job, but I just want us to get the right man this time.
 

Terry Butcher?

'Terry Butcher will be unveiled as Brentford manager tomorrow' (today).

Football Rumours site.
 

Terry Butcher?

Tony Ross was seen in deep conversation with Brian Burgess at Doncaster yesterday.....Rossy for manager ???? rofl rofl :fishing:
 

Terry Butcher?

Could do worse. :shrug:
:imwith: I'd rather have a known name, even given the less than sparkling record, than a Conference South prospect. We'll be getting enough of next season's prospects from the Conference South anyway, and a manager with a sparkling record would have cost far too much.
What BFC needs right now (well... before the start of this season would have been nice) is some good PR and to be associated with big names so that other names sit up and take notice of who we are. Greg Dyke seems to have forgotten how to make good PR all season which is highly disappointing and if he is behind TB's supposed appointment and it's a failure then I'd like to politely request that he jog on. If, on the other hand, TB is actually the manager (and he doesn't pull out at the last minute which will be blamed on this forum by certain parties) and it is a success and GD pulls his finger out and starts using those media contacts of his to generate interest in the club by people other than those who just want to buy the ground for houses, then I'll take back what I've said in the past about him.
Like most other jobs, you either do it right and make it work, or bugger off.
 
Last edited:

Terry Butcher?

Agreed. The SPL is mainly sh*t. Only Celtic are big now, Rangers have gone way downhill in the last few years, then you've got maybe 3 or 4 teams who are Championship strength, the rest are arse.
 

Terry Butcher?

Interesting.....

Dave also says there is an announcement tomorrow!
"tomorrow" was Saturday :(

Unless of course you remember Spiderbee's ditty that "tomorrow is always a day away"


Aussie Bee on Beesotted (ivor on here) says he got the news from the ****vine - anyone heard of that :rolleyes:
Now it appears I have my "snout in the trough" and am taking BFC's allocation of FA Final tickets. Oh well :(

Aussie Bee has a logon here ("ivor"), so why he can't post when it doesn't suit him - I don't know :(
 

Terry Butcher?

"tomorrow" was Saturday :(

Unless of course you remember Spiderbee's ditty that "tomorrow is always a day away"



Now it appears I have my "snout in the trough" and am taking BFC's allocation of FA Final tickets. Oh well :(

Aussie Bee has a logon here ("ivor"), so why he can't post when it doesn't suit him - I don't know :(

I reckon that's libellous, don't you?
 

Terry Butcher?

I reckon that's libellous, don't you?

Ignorance more like.

Nobody on the BU Board (except those that are also on the BFC Board) are entitled to the benefits that accrue to those on the board of the football club.

Also, for one reason or another, FA Cup final tickets cannot be auctioned etc. to supporters. Of course the League itself (made up of directors of all the clubs) make the rules - so no surprise there. :(

p.s. I am now going to merge to posts of "Aussie Bee" and "ivor" in accordance with the GPG Code of Conduct. I did PM "ivor" about this months ago. So Steve, you will need to use that login from now on.
 

Terry Butcher?

ooh! the scandal, the intrigue...:yawn:
 

Terry Butcher?

Ignorance more like.

This was Aussie Bee's post for those that are interested....

"Dykes must be able to score a load with his connections with MU and the BBC - Be nice if he was seen to be doing something for the average fan for a change rather than having "fun".

I wonder if the Deputy BU chairman would donate his tickets if his snout is deep enough to score them in the first place?"

Now call me a funny old sod but doesn't the use of the word if not make this a statement and with the added question mark in fact clearly make it a question?

Ignorance is bliss!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom