The Olympic Games

The Olympic Games

Great performance from Holmes yesterday.

I wasn't sure the race was going her way but the stregth and determination in the last 100 metres was fantastic.

Takes us to 22 medals now, with the cyclists taking silver too.

30 medals may be on.
 

The Olympic Games

Dreadful judging in the men's gymnastics. Wrong calculations cost the South Korean a gold medal and today the Greek crowd halted the high bar event by booing the judges for over ten minutes in protest to absurdly low score for 4 times gold medalist performer from Russia who gave a terrific display but got no medal. Three judges have been suspended.

Terrific 400 metres final with USA 1-2-3. 20 year old Jeremy Wariner could be around for a while.

Super Kelly Holmes race
 

The Olympic Games

Couple of days ago, I posted the following:

"I wanted Paula to win. Unfortunately, I'm also a cynic. By dropping out and explaining how bad the conditions were (which were, after all, the same for all the runners) she's able to retain the awe and affection of the British public far more than if she had finished fourth.

Quite remarkable. "

A couple of people made the following comments:

"What a load of rubbish!!"

and "Bull".

Because of my two year old boy, I'd seen only about five minutes of the race and then heard she'd stopped. (I still haven't seen any more of the race, BTW). That's when I made my comment.

However, I've now seen the interview with Steve Cram (who I thought handled it quite well), and it's clear to me that I was wrong. She was gutted. So, sorry for the comment - tho' I reserve the right to make it again about another athlete if I want, since I believe in some circumstances it's a valid point.
 

The Olympic Games

Sorry guys but can someone tell me How the Brits are doing today? I have been looking at the Medal Table a lot latley and I predict if we can get 4 More golds we will beat the French,Germans and italians which would be great.
 

The Olympic Games

lots of athletics tonight..... only Decathlon for a medal possibly... (Javelin & 1500 to come)

another Sailing gold possibly up for grabs tonight..... Nick Skelton leads the brits in the Show Jumping final..
 
Last edited:

The Olympic Games

What realistic chances have we of getting 4 more golds to beat the rest of Europe and be the best in our continent.

Kelly Holmes? maybe has a great chance
Cycling ? sounds a good prospect
Horses? you never know with the nags
Boxing is my Tip for a defo Gold

Any one else have a chance this week for Gold?
 

The Olympic Games

I have to say that it really did pick up this week and we are starting to do OK with the old medals. the rowing and kelly holmes were two outstanding performances and results!
 

The Olympic Games

Dangerous said:
What realistic chances have we of getting 4 more golds to beat the rest of Europe and be the best in our continent.

Kelly Holmes? maybe has a great chance
Cycling ? sounds a good prospect
Horses? you never know with the nags
Boxing is my Tip for a defo Gold

Any one else have a chance this week for Gold?

Very good chance in the canoeing....

And who know, Paula could do the 10k....

Think that's about it though... apart from the sailors who have a very outside chance tomorrow... should get at least bronze though.
 

The Olympic Games

steve bee said:
I'm just upset i hav'nt seen any beach volley ball or womens football yet :cry:

Women's beach volley ball, not a lot of clothes on them.. yumm & the brazilian women team all look like men..yuk
 

The Olympic Games

Kelly easily qualifies in the 1500 meters she flew home in the last 300.
She has a day off tommorow and I think she will bring another medal home for us all.
 

The Olympic Games

BBeeC said:
Amir Khan just won in the first round. Youngest ever British boxer to win a medal at the Olympics

Damn I missed that is he in the Final now?
 

The Olympic Games

he's actually won the bronze, although i can't quite figure how because he has just reached the semi's - anyone work that out?

mind you if he meets that columbian/costa rican/dude that kicks arse in the other half of the draw that will be one rumble in the jungle no-one will want to miss.
 

The Olympic Games

YorkBee said:
by christ the kid is good :)

Great win for Amir Khan, I think he will go all the way.

Back to the Athletics, and Chris Rawlinson chokes again in the 400m hurdles, despite having one of the quickest times of the year.
 

The Olympic Games

from what I understand, they don't have a box-off for 3rd, so they award two bronze medals.

simon_porter00 said:
he's actually won the bronze, although i can't quite figure how because he has just reached the semi's - anyone work that out?

mind you if he meets that columbian/costa rican/dude that kicks arse in the other half of the draw that will be one rumble in the jungle no-one will want to miss.
 

The Olympic Games

Boston Bee said:
from what I understand, they don't have a box-off for 3rd, so they award two bronze medals.

:yes: :yes:

I guess there is a possibility a losing boxer could be in no condition to fight again............
 

The Olympic Games

Not a great day in terms of medals yesterday, but still come decent prospects to come.

I think Khan will get at least a silver, the Cuban could be a fight too far though. Holmes looks decent for another medal. The canoeists seem to be in contention. The show-jumpers are in the final and there is a but more cycling to come.

I still think we could get to 30 medals, but I don't fancy we'll make 10 golds :(
 

The Olympic Games

anyone see the birds triathlon earlier? absolutely amazing scenes... the bird that won it was not shown during the entire race as she was not in the leaders pack, then came through and nicked it by the line :bound: the aussie must have been well gutted :thumbs:

then i watched the beach volleyball with misty may winning it for the states :love2:
 

The Olympic Games

Paul O'Brien said:
Couple of days ago, I posted the following:

"I wanted Paula to win. Unfortunately, I'm also a cynic. By dropping out and explaining how bad the conditions were (which were, after all, the same for all the runners) she's able to retain the awe and affection of the British public far more than if she had finished fourth.

Quite remarkable. "

A couple of people made the following comments:

"What a load of rubbish!!"

and "Bull".

Because of my two year old boy, I'd seen only about five minutes of the race and then heard she'd stopped. (I still haven't seen any more of the race, BTW). That's when I made my comment.

However, I've now seen the interview with Steve Cram (who I thought handled it quite well), and it's clear to me that I was wrong. She was gutted. So, sorry for the comment - tho' I reserve the right to make it again about another athlete if I want, since I believe in some circumstances it's a valid point.

In Marathon running, appearance money is determined by your world ranking. The lower you finsih, the less you command. However, a non-finish means that your world ranking is not affected and thus your future fee. When Radcliffe was overtaken, she packed it in for the money.

So well done to Liz Yelling and Tracy Morris for finshing for the love of the sport and not money. Radcliffe deserves no sympathy because she threw in the towel to suit her own needs. IMHO.
 

The Olympic Games

West Ealing Bee said:
I still think we could get to 30 medals, but I don't fancy we'll make 10 golds :(

We'll easily reach 30 medals if not more IMHO, with 2 more guaranteed in boxing and sailing our total is already up to 26.

I do! :D

I think Kelly could win the 1500 metres, then there's Tim Brabants in the Canoeing, Steve Backley's got a chance in the Javelin and Amir Khan might just win that gold in the boxing too. Fingers Crossed for them all anyway. :yes:
 

The Olympic Games

A Quiet Man said:
So well done to Liz Yelling and Tracy Morris for finshing for the love of the sport and not money. Radcliffe deserves no sympathy because she threw in the towel to suit her own needs. IMHO.

I'd like to think your wrong here.....
 

The Olympic Games

Debbee said:
We'll easily reach 30 medals if not more IMHO, with 2 more guaranteed in boxing and sailing our total is already up to 26.

I do! :D

I think Kelly could win the 1500 metres, then there's Tim Brabants in the Canoeing, Steve Backley's got a chance in the Javelin and Amir Khan might just win that gold in the boxing too. Fingers Crossed for them all anyway. :yes:

I'm hoping for more than 30, but that would be a good first target.

Now we're at 25, after the sailing and cycling in last 2 days, with Khan guaranteed one that gives 26.

I reckon Holmes, and the women's pentathlon will provide 2, and there are plenty of other chances.

However many of our 'favourites' haven't produced while others have come through, which leaves me thinking 30 will be about right. 32/33 isn't out of the question though.
 
Last edited:

The Olympic Games

Kelly for the double? Another effortless run - I don't want to speak too soon but that is a woman brimming with confidence. :wave:
 

The Olympic Games

Paula Radcliffe already has proved herself the greatest British female distance runner of all time. Not much competition I hear you say. But hats off to her today as she has confirmed she will run tonight. It would be an amazing comeback to gain a medal.

I cannot believe how much stick she has had from some quarters. What is with this country do we thrive on having something to moan about?
 

The Olympic Games

Saw something this morning about one of the female long jumpers having an allergy to Sand.
Well that was a good career move wasn't it. :D
 

The Olympic Games

Mark H said:
Paula Radcliffe already has proved herself the greatest British female distance runner of all time. Not much competition I hear you say. But hats off to her today as she has confirmed she will run tonight. It would be an amazing comeback to gain a medal.

I cannot believe how much stick she has had from some quarters. What is with this country do we thrive on having something to moan about?

It depends on whether you see it as glorious failure or packing it up because she wasn't go to get a medal. You can't have it both ways. People moan because we celebrate failure and then moan when we chose not to.

Every runner in that race was knackered ; the American woman battled amazingly to come in third, and promptly collapsed. PR would have had got more respect from me if she had finished the event despite her difficulties. What's the Olympic motto "It's the taking part, not the winning"?

I'm reminded of one of the greatest Olympic quotes by some Tanzanian althlete who finished, I think, the walk, miles behind, absolute agony, completely exhausted. When asked why he didn't give up he said "My country sent me here to finish the race, not just to start it". Now that is deserving of respect.

When PR wins the 10k, she will of course by feted by all and sundry as some kind of heroine. I just don't buy into it.
 

The Olympic Games

Quiet Man, absolutely spot on.

She could have walked the rest and probably still beaten our other Brits, who did manage to finish - they didnt stop or not enter because they were not going to win a medal.
 

The Olympic Games

BootBee said:
Saw something this morning about one of the female long jumpers having an allergy to Sand.
Well that was a good career move wasn't it. :D

Jade Johnson, she's still quite good though :)
 

The Olympic Games

A Quiet Man said:
When PR wins the 10k, she will of course by feted by all and sundry as some kind of heroine. I just don't buy into it.

She can't win in your books you moan if she fails to complete the race. You moan if she wins it. Sums up my point.
 

The Olympic Games

Our canoeists failed this morning, and our World no 1 pentathlete is almost out of contention, but still 2 events to go.

Holmes looking better and better, I'd be surprised if she didn't get a medal, we shouldn't expect another gold though.

If Radcliffe gets anything tonight it'll be superb, fair play to her for having the stregth to go again.
 

The Olympic Games

A Quiet Man said:
It depends on whether you see it as glorious failure or packing it up because she wasn't go to get a medal. You can't have it both ways. People moan because we celebrate failure and then moan when we chose not to.

Every runner in that race was knackered ; the American woman battled amazingly to come in third, and promptly collapsed. PR would have had got more respect from me if she had finished the event despite her difficulties. What's the Olympic motto "It's the taking part, not the winning"?

I'm reminded of one of the greatest Olympic quotes by some Tanzanian althlete who finished, I think, the walk, miles behind, absolute agony, completely exhausted. When asked why he didn't give up he said "My country sent me here to finish the race, not just to start it". Now that is deserving of respect.

When PR wins the 10k, she will of course by feted by all and sundry as some kind of heroine. I just don't buy into it.

Who cares what the Olympic motto is? In real life only losers whine about the taking part being more important. Let's be a nation of winners please.
 

The Olympic Games

PAZ said:
Who cares what the Olympic motto is? In real life only losers whine about the taking part being more important. Let's be a nation of winners please.

If I was only one of three people from a nation of millions who managed to qualify for the Olympics, particularly if, like Tracy Morris I was only a fun runner a few years ago, I probably wouldn't consider myself to be a loser.

Mark H said:
She can't win in your books you moan if she fails to complete the race. You moan if she wins it. Sums up my point.

I will be delighted if she wins the 10k tonight, because she is a great athlete. But I won't be happy if we are then forced to revel in her perceived 'bravery' because I don't believe that she showed the same courage and commitment as the other runners in the Marathon. The Jap winner of that race has barely got a mention because of PR and I happen to think that is unfair given the amazing race she ran.
 

The Olympic Games

A Quiet Man said:
I will be delighted if she wins the 10k tonight, because she is a great athlete. But I won't be happy if we are then forced to revel in her perceived 'bravery' because I don't believe that she showed the same courage and commitment as the other runners in the Marathon. The Jap winner of that race has barely got a mention because of PR and I happen to think that is unfair given the amazing race she ran.

Fair dues. I admire anyone who puts themselves on the starting lineup of a race where the temps was over 40 degrees. In particular the ones who won medals.

PR had a bad day, its not her fault the british press are desperate for a storyline.
 

The Olympic Games

A Quiet Man said:
If I was only one of three people from a nation of millions who managed to qualify for the Olympics, particularly if, like Tracy Morris I was only a fun runner a few years ago, I probably wouldn't consider myself to be a loser.



I will be delighted if she wins the 10k tonight, because she is a great athlete. But I won't be happy if we are then forced to revel in her perceived 'bravery' because I don't believe that she showed the same courage and commitment as the other runners in the Marathon. The Jap winner of that race has barely got a mention because of PR and I happen to think that is unfair given the amazing race she ran.

My point is that for a top athlete it isn't just the taking part. For a fun runner or a Tanzanian or someone at their first Olympics, the experience is enough and is great, but for a world record holder if you're not going to get a medal, you might as well not be running. I don't think Paula is brave or a heroine, but I can well understand how in those conditions with those personal expectation one might be mentally and physically unable to continue as one saw one's aims slipping away. The likes of Morris set their sights on finishing and achieved that. Paula set her sights on gold and nothing else and once that slipped away, it's fine by me if she doesn't settle or is unable to settle for some average finishing position. Too few of our athletes have real ambition and are happy just to be there. If you get to a final, you should aim to win. Too many feel they have won just by getting there and therefore lack the motivation in the final - e.g. our female 200m runner.

The only reason the Jap barely got a mention is because she's a Jap. I am sure in Japan she had a massive write up. Similarly the US sprinters have had a smaller write up than usual because no Brits made the final. It's not PR, it's a perception that we don't really care when no Brits are directly involved, which is largely true.
 

The Olympic Games

Paz, I do see your point but I guess if everyone only backed winners we'd all support Arsenal and not the SuperBees. You wouldn't wish that on anyone.
 

The Olympic Games

Our 26th medal a few minutes ago, a bronze in the Modern Pentathlon. Good but a bit different from the 1-2 that could have happened.

Another medal, and maybe even a gold, could come in the show jumping. Nick Skelton leads after the first round of two.

Radcliffe has an outside chance of a medal, as does Johnson.

I still think 30 may be our total.
 

The Olympic Games

Khan, What a great display from the 17 year old...... :sorted:
 

The Olympic Games

Absolutely fantastic. He was always attacking from the start and his stamina and talent brought him through. He's the star of these Olympics no matter what happens in the final. :sorted:
 

The Olympic Games

Paula Radcliffe drops out of the 10,000m with eight laps to go.
 

The Olympic Games

bees66 said:
Paula Radcliffe drops out of the 10,000m with eight laps to go.

I feel so sorry for Paula - she will be putting herself through hell - front and back pages of the tabloids no doubt "Where did it all go wrong? etc etc. To cap it all, I've come into look at the telly in another room and QPar*e have just scored a very dodgy goal (looked like a hand pushed it in!).
 
Back
Top Bottom