Thomas Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Frank

Please don’t do that ever again, we were on the back foot albeit 4:1 up, but to change 3 all at once was a poor decision from a world class head coach and we almost paid the price by that mistake.
What was the combined Xg of those two goals? Not much I’d imagine. Both were great finishes, the first especially.
 

Thomas Frank

What was the combined Xg of those two goals? Not much I’d imagine. Both were great finishes, the first especially.
The first was a great finish, the second was an average shot that should have been blocked by Sepp and went straight through Flekken. Terrible goal to concede.
 

Thomas Frank

Yes we did, with their continued threat on our goal, if there had been further minutes added I would have been deeply concerned that we could have conceded another goal
None of the final three subs were responsible for the second or third goals. We scored twice after our first sub (who laid on the ball for the assist for our 4th) and once after our second sub.

Rico probably could have done better for the third. But so could Collins and Flekken for their first.
 

Thomas Frank

None of the final three subs were responsible for the second or third goals. We scored twice after our first sub (who laid on the ball for the assist for our 4th) and once after our second sub.

Rico probably could have done better for the third. But so could Collins and Flekken for their first.
I didn’t say the three subs were to blame for either of the two goals that they scored but it did disrupt the team. We were already tired prior to the substitutions and bringing on 3 on 85 or so minutes in my opinion caused issues to the rest of the team. Thiago not played for 5 months, Nunez seemed lost and didn’t know what his responsibilities were, so in short I just think it was an error on Thomas’s part by changing over a quarter of the side for the sake of giving 3 players so game time.
 

Thomas Frank

I didn’t say the three subs were to blame for either of the two goals that they scored but it did disrupt the team. We were already tired prior to the substitutions and bringing on 3 on 85 or so minutes in my opinion caused issues to the rest of the team. Thiago not played for 5 months, Nunez seemed lost and didn’t know what his responsibilities were, so in short I just think it was an error on Thomas’s part by changing over a quarter of the side for the sake of giving 3 players so game time.
I find the Nunes comment a bit insulting to him. He ran the left touchline as he would've been asked, to suggest that he was doing things wrong seems very unfair.
 

Thomas Frank

I didn’t say the three subs were to blame for either of the two goals that they scored but it did disrupt the team. We were already tired prior to the substitutions and bringing on 3 on 85 or so minutes in my opinion caused issues to the rest of the team. Thiago not played for 5 months, Nunez seemed lost and didn’t know what his responsibilities were, so in short I just think it was an error on Thomas’s part by changing over a quarter of the side for the sake of giving 3 players so game time.
Do you think Thiago and Nunes will get into their responsibilities in the team better or worse for being left on the bench not even to be called upon when three goals up with ten minutes left?

Was it bad to give Kayode ten minutes against Everton and disrupting the back 4 when we’d been pegged back to 1-1 against Everton? Bad to have brought on Kayode and Yarmoliuk on 69 when a goal down at the Emirates? Bad to have given Kayode 7 minutes at 0-0 against Chelsea?

Or maybe, those little appearances were what made him play so well when he started the next three games (even if a bit wobbly to begin with against Brighton).
 

Thomas Frank

Do you think Thiago and Nunes will get into their responsibilities in the team better or worse for being left on the bench not even to be called upon when three goals up with ten minutes left?

Was it bad to give Kayode ten minutes against Everton and disrupting the back 4 when we’d been pegged back to 1-1 against Everton? Bad to have brought on Kayode and Yarmoliuk on 69 when a goal down at the Emirates? Bad to have given Kayode 7 minutes at 0-0 against Chelsea?

Or maybe, those little appearances were what made him play so well when he started the next three games (even if a bit wobbly to begin with against Brighton).
Such a good post.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AB

Thomas Frank

Thomas in the press distancing us from our mock Bus Stop in Hounslow / plucky underdog status with our continued progress and presence in the EPL. Not sure about others but I feel this too. We are a good team and deserve the credit for what we are building. He also rightly states we need to remain humble despite our success. A good message for life (Mr Arteta).
 

Thomas Frank

Thomas in the press distancing us from our mock Bus Stop in Hounslow / plucky underdog status with our continued progress and presence in the EPL. Not sure about others but I feel this too. We are a good team and deserve the credit for what we are building. He also rightly states we need to remain humble despite our success. A good message for life (Mr Arteta).
It was never coined by us in the first place....we ironically picked it up after it was sung to us by QPR fans as a means to look down upon us.

Somewhere down the line the media misinterpreted its meaning and ran with the narrative that you outline in your post.

TF doesn't really need to reference it as it was never something we thought about our own club anyway.
 
Last edited:

Thomas Frank

It was never coined by us in the first place....we ironically picked it up after it was sung to us by QPR fans as a means to look down upon us.

Somewhere down the line the media misinterpreted its meaning and ran with the narrative that you outline in your post.

TF doesn't really need to reference it as it was never something we thought about our own club anyway.
TF used to quote it regularly and used it as some sort of "badge of honour" in our first couple of PL seasons....
Seems to be moving away from that stance now though....
Probably rightly.....
 

Thomas Frank

I believe it was sung by QPR, then we used it as a self deprecating song and come back to them singing it. I can remember singing it before TF started to use it. Not heard it sung pretty much since TF started using it. It's runits course.
 

Thomas Frank

I believe it was sung by QPR, then we used it as a self deprecating song and come back to them singing it. I can remember singing it before TF started to use it. Not heard it sung pretty much since TF started using it. It's runits course.
I remember a game where they started singing it and then we took it on and we ended singing “you’re getting beat by a bus stop”. Very very amusing
 

Thomas Frank

It was never coined by us in the first place....we ironically picked it up after it was sung to us by QPR fans as a means to look down upon us.

Somewhere down the line the media misinterpreted its meaning and ran with the narrative that you outline in your post.

TF doesn't really need to reference it as it was never something we thought about our own club anyway.
I was aware of the back story and the irony but I dont think we'll hear Tbomas reference it again in the.meida. Time to move on (humbly). Who knows it might be Eurostar not the no.65.
 

Thomas Frank

I was aware of the back story and the irony but I dont think we'll hear Tbomas reference it again in the.meida. Time to move on (humbly). Who knows it might be Eurostar not the no.65.
With Kew Bridge so close, surely “train station”are more apt lyrics? ?
 

Thomas Frank

They sung it I believe because a QPR blog which in general is meant to be a funny read, referred to us as a bus stop in Hounslow.
 

Thomas Frank

Would Thomas be interested in the Leverkusen job? Is that a better job than with us?

I think they would be sensible to give it to him (although obviously hope they don't!)
 

Thomas Frank

I don't get the hate to the bus stop in Hounslow chant. TF referred to it several times in the first years on the PL, as his favourite one, because it reflected the club evolution and journey. Certainly how it turned from a mock to the club, to something proudly owned by the club shows a lot of character I think. And common sense, which is much better than be deluded like other fanbases (like Forest, for example)
 

Thomas Frank

They sung it I believe because a QPR blog which in general is meant to be a funny read, referred to us as a bus stop in Hounslow.
To what extent was it in answer to Bees fans taunting them for having lost to a garage on the M6 in the FA Cup?
 

Thomas Frank

I don't get the hate to the bus stop in Hounslow chant. TF referred to it several times in the first years on the PL, as his favourite one, because it reflected the club evolution and journey. Certainly how it turned from a mock to the club, to something proudly owned by the club shows a lot of character I think. And common sense, which is much better than be deluded like other fanbases (like Forest, for example)
I like it for that. I don’t think we’ve yet got too big for it to be faux humility.

Whereas I always found the Barcelona one a bit cringe but would be on for singing it again given they are one of only two other Big 5 league teams to have three players on 10+ goals.
 

Thomas Frank

I like it for that. I don’t think we’ve yet got too big for it to be faux humility.

Whereas I always found the Barcelona one a bit cringe but would be on for singing it again given they are one of only two other Big 5 league teams to have three players on 10+ goals.
Wasn’t the Barcelona chant to do with both clubs being Fans Owned rather than the quality of football?
 

Thomas Frank

Yes we did, with their continued threat on our goal, if there had been further minutes added I would have been deeply concerned that we could have conceded another goal
I don't blame the substitutes or choice of them, but there was no doubt in my mind (And of those around me) that if the game had gone on for another 5 minutes it would have ended up in a draw and I would have left the ground having bent the crush bar in front of me. They went all out for our goal and kept finding space to shoot late on when we were pushed onto the back foot.
 

Thomas Frank

Vacancy at Leverkusen coming up and would not surprise me at all a club like that going for Thomas.
 

Thomas Frank

That was my understanding, but you are the expert in such matters.
Not at all! That was all during a period when I mainly went to away games and wasn’t very plugged in to the terrace chat beyond what I gleaned off here. I thought it was just ironic, much as Cambridge a few years earlier called themselves the Plate for a bit after River Plate.
 

Thomas Frank

Vacancy at Leverkusen coming up and would not surprise me at all a club like that going for Thomas.
Leeds' even bigger sister club RB Leipzig have dangled a leg at Fabregas, who in turn is allegedly interesting Bayer 04.

10Hag looks to be the consolation prize for the loser in this chase.

I would've thought Glasner would be closer to making the list than Thomas, given his Bundesliga 1 background.
 

Thomas Frank

Not at all! That was all during a period when I mainly went to away games and wasn’t very plugged in to the terrace chat beyond what I gleaned off here. I thought it was just ironic, much as Cambridge a few years earlier called themselves the Plate for a bit after River Plate.
Well I have just read something about playing liquid football in the fourth tier :confused:. Seeing I was there at the time, and a full time supporter I shall stick with my original belief boring though it maybe compared with liquid football.
 

Thomas Frank

The system we have been playing this season was what I suspect TF wanted to play last season but injuries marred it. I just love the fact TF as a manager and with this team is always evolving. We just couldn't play that possession football we had in the championship and he changed it from day 1 in the PL. I don't always agree with his substitutions and the timing of it, but has shown as by dropping Pinnock he is capable of making tough decisions. I do think the next couple of games and the FA Cup final may be crucial in determining if he is around next season or not. Get into Europe, I suspect he would love that challenge, if not then despite us maybe finishing 8th may decide he needs a new challenge. Whilst TF is at the helm I have that reassurance of our PL status and to what get 54 PL wins in just under 4 season is some record. I'm relaxed about Bryan and Wissa going this summer but less relaxed if TF goes.
 

Thomas Frank

I'm increasingly feeling that a certain lego headed manager's time is running its course...and that Thomas will be in line to take over after next season should Arsenal fail to win anything again...
 

Thomas Frank

I do think the next couple of games and the FA Cup final may be crucial in determining if he is around next season or not. Get into Europe, I suspect he would love that challenge, if not then despite us maybe finishing 8th may decide he needs a new challenge. Whilst TF is at the helm I have that reassurance of our PL status and to what get 54 PL wins in just under 4 season is some record. I'm relaxed about Bryan and Wissa going this summer but less relaxed if TF goes.
Maybe. But you could equally have said that two years ago when we had just finished 9th, had just missed out on Europe, and our top scorer had just got a whopping ban. And he'd already turned down the Villa interest prior to that.

If he says he is happy, I'll believe him until I hear otherwise, and not worry.
 

Thomas Frank

I'm increasingly feeling that a certain lego headed manager's time is running its course...and that Thomas will be in line to take over after next season should Arsenal fail to win anything again...
Arsenal's ego is too big to appoint a mid table Prem manager with no big competition experience.
 

Thomas Frank

From what i gather from my Arsenal mate, the feeling seems to be that next season probably would be the last shot at looking like winning trophies (and significant ones), or the significant plurality of fans would turn on Arteta ... if they're say 5th at boxing day, some distance off looking like seriously competing in the league (both in actual points and style), while neither looking too hot in Champions League ...
 

Thomas Frank

From what i gather from my Arsenal mate, the feeling seems to be that next season probably would be the last shot at looking like winning trophies (and significant ones), or the significant plurality of fans would turn on Arteta ... if they're say 5th at boxing day, some distance off looking like seriously competing in the league (both in actual points and style), while neither looking too hot in Champions League ...
On the other side of the coin, Arse could be up there next season like last season or the year before . And under Arteta who like Thomas is a thinking man's head coach even if not as charismatic as TF.
 

Thomas Frank

I've had a feeling for a while that under TF we tend to end seasons strongly so I had a look at the figures tonight, and it turns out that its not just a figment of my imagination. In six of Thomas' seven seasons with us our Points Per Game (PPG) has improved in the final ten matches of the campaign, often markedly. The one season where it didn't, 2022/23, there was essentially no real change in performance either way. I don't know whether this is down to Thomas' management approach or its the fitness work done on the conditioning of the players but it seems to be more than coincidence. We really do appear to peak at the business end of a season.

Maybe Marinus was on to something after all? ?

PPG Last 10 MatchesPPG Rest of the Season
2019/191.51.36
2019/202.41.58
2020/2121.86
2021/222.20.85
2022/231.51.57
2023/241.30.92
2024/252.12 (Last 8 matches)1.35
 

Thomas Frank

Moreover the whole Europe or not, Mbeumo transfer or not , TF in or out or not.... it's TF leaving that gives me the greatest anxiety. I'm certain this summer with the usual managerial hiring and firing the light will turn even brighter to TF. The headlines write themselves really particularly with Spurs and probably Man U in the market.
The thing that gets me really riled is the media narrative in these moments and how recent performance and achievement gets highlighted (quite rightly) without really paying credence to the foundations that success is built on. Building a club up over a decent number of years, being allowed to try, fail then succeed counts for pretty much everything we have now at Brentford. Take a top six or even any PL or championship job and you'll be lucky if you get half a season to prove your worth. And when you do its usually down in no small part to the work of the support around you as a manager. Is TF a great coach? yes he is. But he's been given time and the resources to get there and he's made an incredible job of what he's been given.
He's not the only one of course. Managers who burn bright and on the up seem to come crashing down once they take a 'step up' . Because the lack of patience and imbedded support just isn't there.
So if you are TF why in hell WOULD you take the Man U or the Spurs job ? Or Leverkusen for the matter? You take the coin, your fingers get burnt, your reputation takes a nosedive and you get sacked.
What I'm saying is TF...please don't go.
 

Thomas Frank

I've had a feeling for a while that under TF we tend to end seasons strongly so I had a look at the figures tonight, and it turns out that its not just a figment of my imagination. In six of Thomas' seven seasons with us our Points Per Game (PPG) has improved in the final ten matches of the campaign, often markedly. The one season where it didn't, 2022/23, there was essentially no real change in performance either way. I don't know whether this is down to Thomas' management approach or its the fitness work done on the conditioning of the players but it seems to be more than coincidence. We really do appear to peak at the business end of a season.

Maybe Marinus was on to something after all? ?

PPG Last 10 MatchesPPG Rest of the Season
2019/191.51.36
2019/202.41.58
2020/2121.86
2021/222.20.85
2022/231.51.57
2023/241.30.92
2024/252.12 (Last 8 matches)1.35
2.4, 2, 2.2, 2.12 ppg is very impressive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom