Ultramarathons

coconino

Well-known member
Joined
27 Sep 2004
Messages
10,068
Reaction score
7,715
Location
Sunny Brixton

Ultramarathons

Anyone here mad enough to do ultramarathons or trail running?

A friend of mine will be on the starting line this evening for the 120 km Lavaredo Ultra Trail. The stats are frightening for someone like me who only ever runs for a bus, so I’ll be following her progress from the comfort of my sofa!
 

Ultramarathons

Yes, but nothing that mad. Furthest for me was 60 miles, very tough mentally. There's a good 'un in early October, Ultra London. It starts at Greenwich and finishes in Richmond following Southern part of the Capital Ring footpath. It's both urban and trail, and is 35 miles. The weird thing is it's 6 days after the London Marathon, I assume that'll rule out a number of runners.
 

Ultramarathons

Wow, 60 miles is quite a jog! Interesting to know about Ultra London.

I’ve walked the the Green London Way a couple of times, which includes parts of the Capital Ring, but I took it in chunks, although I’ve heard that some people have run it in one go, and a friend has walked the length of every tube line, rail line, and every river which joins the Thames, so I’m inspired to do more long walks, but running just isn’t in my bones, and even less the thought of running virtually non-stop for many hours.
 

Ultramarathons

I once watched part of the Transvulcania on La Palma - Transvulcania by UTMB®

75k and finished in 7 hours so much shorter than the one your friend is doing, but awesome nevertheless. Just walking a few k of the route with the heat and altitude shattered me. I felt a huge sense of achievement with my 7k walk which took me around the same time as the runners finished the ultra marathon.
 

Ultramarathons

Wow, 60 miles is quite a jog! Interesting to know about Ultra London.

I’ve walked the the Green London Way a couple of times, which includes parts of the Capital Ring, but I took it in chunks, although I’ve heard that some people have run it in one go, and a friend has walked the length of every tube line, rail line, and every river which joins the Thames, so I’m inspired to do more long walks, but running just isn’t in my bones, and even less the thought of running virtually non-stop for many hours.
Here's the route: ROUTE | ULTRA LONDON
Forgot that there's a shorter route from Crystal Palace to Richmond. The route above also shows the short version.
 

Ultramarathons

The finish times are generous, and if you're walking it you can be one of the first waves.
Certainly considering it now. Before Covid I did a lot of walking for deliveries, regularly 18–20 km/day and I’m feeling the lack of that in my fitness these days.
 

Ultramarathons

Here's the route: ROUTE | ULTRA LONDON
Forgot that there's a shorter route from Crystal Palace to Richmond. The route above also shows the short version.

It's a bit fiddly to view the courses in detail.

I found I couldn't open the 'GPX File' of either route when viewing on my laptop. But when I tried on my phone, the Garmin Connect app was able to open the file and I can see the route.
 

Ultramarathons

I remember this tragedy well, as it occurred on the same weekend as the Cazorla ultratrail (UTBS) where I generally stand out all night in the mountains handing out food and water.
It seems like a very poor location for such a race as it suffers unpredictable weather extremes. The previous year runners were suffering hyperthermia in the lower sections.
 

Ultramarathons

Wow, this presentation is dreadful!
 

Ultramarathons

Pre Covid Eurosport used to show these regularly and truly inspirational they were. They're what got me interested, although never done a proper foreign one.
The livestream is mostly just showing people standing around at the aid stations waiting for the leaders to stop for refreshments. At the start it was all rock anthems and shouty presenters! The leaders are expected to finish in the next couple of hours, meanwhile my friend has passed 50km and the highest peak and is hoping to finish about 4:00 tomorrow morning.
 

Ultramarathons

The livestream has some better views now from up in the Dolomites. It’s very craggy!
 

Ultramarathons

This book is a great read if you are interested in the human side of running these long distance races. He does them even though he has been diagnosed with Prostrate cancer.

 

Ultramarathons

Leading man Hannes Namberger just crossed finish line 11 hr 55 mins and he’s still full of beans
 

Ultramarathons

She’s passed 67 km now and has gained about sixty places overall, doing well, but there’s a looong way to go!
 

Ultramarathons

First woman finisher Mimmi Kotka 14 hrs 51 mins
 

Ultramarathons

She’s passed 67 km now and has gained about sixty places overall, doing well, but there’s a looong way to go!
Over half way. Ticking off those "k's", all mentally downhill now
 

Ultramarathons

She made it!! just finished after 27 hours and already has a beer in her hand. Says her legs have gone and was walking some of the last few km. Super impressive!
 

Ultramarathons

UTMB 2022 started at 5pm, and at the same time the first runners of the CCC are just now coming in. Live coverage on YouTube. The front runners of the UTMB should finish tomorrow lunchtime.
 

Ultramarathons

A mate just ran the Liverpool/Leeds canal race, just 128 miles. Quite a flat course but very rough underfoot in many places. His twin brother didn't do it. ?
Comment from one of his support team: he was struggling massively at bank newton, hallucinating and very wobbly, made him drink and he’s had gels, banana, soreen and some other food. He is in much better shape now.
 

Ultramarathons

A mate just ran the Liverpool/Leeds canal race, just 128 miles. Quite a flat course but very rough underfoot in many places. His twin brother didn't do it. ?
Comment from one of his support team: he was struggling massively at bank newton, hallucinating and very wobbly, made him drink and he’s had gels, banana, soreen and some other food. He is in much better shape now.
Just! Fair f***s. That is some doing.
 

Ultramarathons

A mate just ran the Liverpool/Leeds canal race, just 128 miles. Quite a flat course but very rough underfoot in many places. His twin brother didn't do it. ?
Comment from one of his support team: he was struggling massively at bank newton, hallucinating and very wobbly, made him drink and he’s had gels, banana, soreen and some other food. He is in much better shape now.
I hope it ended at Liverpool . Imagine running all that way to find yourself in Leeds.
 

Ultramarathons

Fair to anyone even considering these events. I'm signed up to Leeds Abbey Dash (10k) and right now that feels like an Ultra!
 

Ultramarathons

Fair to anyone even considering these events. I'm signed up to Leeds Abbey Dash (10k) and right now that feels like an Ultra!
Abbey Dash, dullest race in the world. Although you do pass the Sheesh Mahal, our favourite curry house in Leeds.
 

Ultramarathons

Here's the route: ROUTE | ULTRA LONDON
Forgot that there's a shorter route from Crystal Palace to Richmond. The route above also shows the short version.
I took your suggestion and did the 25k trail today, mostly walked it but did run a bit too. Good fun and perfect weather for it!

My time for 25k was almost the same as my friend’s time for the London marathon last weekend, and she was strolling ?
 

Ultramarathons

May have seen you out there. Did the full distance more than four hours slower than the London Marathon last week. ? Really enjoyed it, saw a stag fight in Richmond Park.
 

Ultramarathons

May have seen you out there. Did the full distance more than four hours slower than the London Marathon last week. ? Really enjoyed it, saw a stag fight in Richmond Park.
Cool! Saw one stag but he was more interested in the doe who was flashing her tail at him. Anyway, I didn’t finish last, and I call that a win considering I’ve done nothing like that before. How’re your legs today? My thighs are feeling it but otherwise no adverse effects.
 

Ultramarathons

Cool! Saw one stag but he was more interested in the doe who was flashing her tail at him. Anyway, I didn’t finish last, and I call that a win considering I’ve done nothing like that before. How’re your legs today? My thighs are feeling it but otherwise no adverse effects.
Well done, always good not to come last.? Legs are reluctant to bend at the knees, luckily I can have a lazy day today.
 

Ultramarathons

Walked/jogged the Ultra Trail 25 today, mad hot and humid day for it but an enjoyable outing, meeting nice people along the way. Home now and my thighs are throbbing. Were you on it today @JohnOmarasShorts?
 

Ultramarathons

Walked/jogged the Ultra Trail 25 today, mad hot and humid day for it but an enjoyable outing, meeting nice people along the way. Home now and my thighs are throbbing. Were you on it today @JohnOmarasShorts?
?
 

Ultramarathons

Walked/jogged the Ultra Trail 25 today, mad hot and humid day for it but an enjoyable outing, meeting nice people along the way. Home now and my thighs are throbbing. Were you on it today @JohnOmarasShorts?
Yes, did the 55k. Bloomin' hot, goes without saying, but also bloomin' hilly. As you say, met some nice people on the way. There seemed to be a huge French contingent. Well done, apparently a fairly large number either didn't start or pulled out.
 

Ultramarathons

Yes, did the 55k. Bloomin' hot, goes without saying, but also bloomin' hilly. As you say, met some nice people on the way. There seemed to be a huge French contingent. Well done, apparently a fairly large number either didn't start or pulled out.
Well done to you too! 55k is impressive in any weather but in that heat it’s top class. I did think on Friday about giving it a miss but glad I didn’t. If I do it again or something similar I really need to do some training, but at my age (63) I doubt I could get fit enough for the 55. Last year was was the first event I’ve ever done and really I only did it just to tease my ultra-runner friend, but this year was for me, so I might be getting the bug. I might look out for a similar distance but on the flat!
 

Ultramarathons

Well done to you too! 55k is impressive in any weather but in that heat it’s top class. I did think on Friday about giving it a miss but glad I didn’t. If I do it again or something similar I really need to do some training, but at my age (63) I doubt I could get fit enough for the 55. Last year was was the first event I’ve ever done and really I only did it just to tease my ultra-runner friend, but this year was for me, so I might be getting the bug. I might look out for a similar distance but on the flat!
Beat you, I'm 67.? There's an opposite, sort of, Ultra, Kingston to the Thames Barrier, weirdly called Richmond Ultra. It's all along the Thames path so mostly flat. This year it's mid August.
 

Ultramarathons

Beat you, I'm 67.? There's an opposite, sort of, Ultra, Kingston to the Thames Barrier, weirdly called Richmond Ultra. It's all along the Thames path so mostly flat. This year it's mid August.
67!?!? There’s hope for me yet ?

I’ll look up that event, although August could be even hotter.
 

Ultramarathons

I'm doing it, just for the opportunity to do the reverse but yes, the heat may be an issue again.
 

Ultramarathons

It’s too hardcore for me. Thinking I should make some sort of training plan and maybe aim to do one of these longer ones next year. I don’t have much of a ‘base’. Have you always been a runner or is it something you started later in life?
 

Ultramarathons

It’s too hardcore for me. Thinking I should make some sort of training plan and maybe aim to do one of these longer ones next year. I don’t have much of a ‘base’. Have you always been a runner or is it something you started later in life?
Started in 1982, apart from an illness break have always run since then. However many I run with only started recently, a decent plan is useful.
 

Ultramarathons

Started in 1982, apart from an illness break have always run since then. However many I run with only started recently, a decent plan is useful.
Just checked and I finished in the top 75% for Trail 25 (definitely not Ultra Trail, as I wrote before), so that’s somewhat satisfying knowing I wasn’t the slowest, but my time was worse than last year, partly due to the three H’s (heat, humidity, hills). Anyway, it looks like I’ll have to run until I’m 104 to get to the level of experience you have ? so I’d better start planning sooner than later :cool:
 

Ultramarathons

I chatted with one woman along the way who does a marathon a month plus on her birthday every year she runs her age in km, she’s now late 40s.
 

Ultramarathons

I’ve found the book “Hansons First Marathon” (sic) useful. Covers many aspects of running and goes just far enough beyond the basics to suit me. I used one of the marathon training plans, and the race went well. Like you, Coco, I’ve only been running a few years, since 2020, starting when I was 59 and the Mrs. told me I was fat. ?
 
Back
Top Bottom