Indeed.
Presumably only if found guilty?
I have to tell my employer in these circumstances. I would expect the sack.
Nana, would you expect the sack if you were found not guilty ?
I have to tell my employer in these circumstances. I would expect the sack.
I appreciate you're probably the President...
The punch up is only part of this story, as he seems to have mocked Harvey Price, son of Katie Price.
Looking more and more likely that he won't be making the trip to Oz.
“The CPS reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings are now live and the defendants have a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice ongoing proceedings."
Selected for second-half of T20 series.
What were the ECB waiting for then? Stokes to be charged? Bizarre
Agreed. A decision completely devoid of any common sense.
On the one hand, whilst the matter was still being investigated, he is omitted from the ashes squad.
On the other hand, now the CPS have decided there is a reasonable prospect of conviction, he should be allowed to play.
I’m sure it should have been the other way around!
Selected for second-half of T20 series.
What were the ECB waiting for then? Stokes to be charged? Bizarre
Very, very odd, I have no idea what the ECB are doing in relation to Stokes. I think their (the ECB) point seems to be that the length of time before the case is heard could be lengthy and that would put a disproportionate hold on his career. They would have known it was a lengthy process when the incident first happened.
It indicates to me they have got a top brief on the case who is very confident that a guilty plea will see punishment restricted to a fine and nothing more.
It indicates to me they have got a top brief on the case who is very confident that a guilty plea will see punishment restricted to a fine and nothing more.
There is just no logic in their desision making. Consistency????? Ridiculous!
He intends to contest the charge.
An explanation could be that the ECB was waiting till it was made public what the charge is.
Maybe they though having someone with an affray charge hanging over them playing for the national team is more acceptable than someone charged with ABH/GBH.
Not a course of action I’d be inclined to pursue but just trying to rationalise the thinking.
the Aussies would never have let something like this stop them from selecting one of the best players in the world. stupid!!
Court case starts today with some fairly ugly stories emerging.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45082248
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24299085/ben-stokes-alleged-mocked-gay-men-court-hears
The prosecution says stokes was mocking the 2 gay guys but didn't they say themselves he was defending them from the 2 guys who got knocked about and that's what initiated the fight?
A bit worrying that he is being accused of mocking the two gay guys.
Only heard the case for the prosecution so far, not the defence so an alternative view may be forthcoming over the next day or so.
Oh and it's an ongoing court case so just be aware what you're typing on a publicly accessible forum*![]()
* not aimed at anyone in particular
Yes, the mods should lock this thread until reporting restrictions lifted.
Yes, the mods should lock this thread until reporting restrictions lifted.
and how did ITV. manage to make it their lead story on the evening newsIf restrictions haven't been lifted how come the BBC are reporting on it?
I am struggling why are the blokes Stokes had the altercation with standing in the dock next to him??
Are they not the victims?
If they have all been charged for being part of the fight would the best outcome have not been shake hands and move along?
I think if the CPS want to prosecute they will regardless if all the parties were happy just to shake hands?
Yes, not wishing to press charges doesn't exist except on tele.