CRUNCH TIME

CRUNCH TIME

Last thing I want to be is pedantic. But I just seem to recall Perryman left before the season started and that Noddy was in charge by then? I know he was only Caretaker to start with, but he was manager for every game wasn't he? :kiss:

P.S. You forgot your full stop :sorted:.

You're not on the whisky yet then? :idea;

Haven't you got some videos to get on with? Oh, No you haven't, they're still on my bedroom floor :( hopefully I'll leave them for you tomorrow :banana:
 

CRUNCH TIME

You're not on the whisky yet then? :idea;

Haven't you got some videos to get on with? Oh, No you haven't, they're still on my bedroom floor :( hopefully I'll leave them for you tomorrow :banana:
No whisky drink for me. The coffee drink tonight :sad:.
 

CRUNCH TIME

Got to say im very impressed witht he signings so far, so i feel pretty confident for the season ahead....but then again i felt the same last season!
 

CRUNCH TIME

I hope that we can actually acheive some success this season and that along the way we can play some decent passing football.

Realisticly if not this then I think next season is more or less a gimmee as Rossler will have had "windows" to strengthen the team further and perhaps the most important factor is that he will also have the development squad to cal upon for any gems. This is so different to the past where it was jst the Juniors wheras now the development squad comprises of players in the main who were picked by some of the top clubs but failed to make the garde. They may be late developers or whilst not Prem quality may well be better than Div 3 standards. It is this development squad which I beleive will be the difference between us and the rest and ultimatley enable us to acheive promotion.

dare I dream that this can be built upon even further and may well be our life blood for a decent conveyor belt of talent.
 

CRUNCH TIME

Absolutely agree with the above. We seem to have purpose and a foundation for the future. Exciting times.
 

CRUNCH TIME

I hope that we can actually acheive some success this season and that along the way we can play some decent passing football.

Realisticly if not this then I think next season is more or less a gimmee as Rossler will have had "windows" to strengthen the team further and perhaps the most important factor is that he will also have the development squad to cal upon for any gems. This is so different to the past where it was jst the Juniors wheras now the development squad comprises of players in the main who were picked by some of the top clubs but failed to make the garde. They may be late developers or whilst not Prem quality may well be better than Div 3 standards. It is this development squad which I beleive will be the difference between us and the rest and ultimatley enable us to acheive promotion.

dare I dream that this can be built upon even further and may well be our life blood for a decent conveyor belt of talent.

The great thing is that we already have a few that look like they could break into the first team.
 

CRUNCH TIME

Might prove premature (and don't you just hate it when that happens) - but having seen the most astonishing performance on Saturday, and witnessed Uwe driving them on when they were 0-10 up I would be dissapointed if we were not top four this season.....and I wouldn't rule out automatic promotion.

Not just the new acquisitions that make things look interesting - but the reaction of the 'old boys' which was nothing short of inspirational.
 

CRUNCH TIME

three or four very good posts inc the pipe.

slightly changing tack, will we keep players for the develpment league (or whatever it is called) or loan them out for experience as before?

how many games will they play in their league ? anyone know?
 

CRUNCH TIME

three or four very good posts inc the pipe.

slightly changing tack, will we keep players for the develpment league (or whatever it is called) or loan them out for experience as before?

how many games will they play in their league ? anyone know?

I'm not sure they're in a league, are they?
 

CRUNCH TIME

three or four very good posts inc the pipe.

slightly changing tack, will we keep players for the develpment league (or whatever it is called) or loan them out for experience as before?

how many games will they play in their league ? anyone know?

There is no league. Fixtures are arranged as needed and when available against hopefully teams from higher leagues. This is how I understand it from when the development squad was set up.
 

CRUNCH TIME

Play offs...

On another note - Channel 4's How to Buy A Football Club is well worth watching, sure it's been mentioned elsewhere on the griffinsphere, but just in case.. (apologies if 'off topic')

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3212204

With a Select Committee looking into the state of football and growing calls for reform, an undercover investigation by Dispatches finds out who wants to own the beautiful game and reveals…
 

CRUNCH TIME

I think we will finish 4th followed by WINNING the PLAYOFFS. There has to be a first time and UWE is the MAN.
 

CRUNCH TIME

I think we will finish 4th followed by WINNING the PLAYOFFS. There has to be a first time and UWE is the MAN.

I think all depends on who the loan strike Uwe manages to bring in, hopefully for the season. We seem to now have strength in goal, in defence, in midfield and on the wings but one light up front. If he can find a Premier League startlet who needs a season out on loan then will be difference between a play-off place and automatic promotion.
 

CRUNCH TIME

We should expect a top six finish perhaps but more than that who knows, it will depend how the fancied clubs get their acts together. If they do Automatic Promotion will be very hard. One hopes they will fall flat on their faces.

One thing that has impressed me is how UW has got the squad more or less formed by the first friendly. He quite wisely avoided a common tendency for wholesale change in coming into the job but has been happy to work with the contracted players and added quality players wisely. Maybe there will be some more comings and goings before the end of August but you get the impression not.

Compare that to Sheffield Wednesday who had only 13 outfield players a couple of days ago and will be lucky to get their squad settled by the big KO.
 

CRUNCH TIME

And Allen Found success immediatley, aswell as very nearly getting promotion in his ffirst full seson.... never thought of it like that :hat::hat::hat:

And even webb had a very good first season with a play off defeat I believe (when we should have stormed it)

I dont buy into all that "need to gel cobblers". The players will either instantly gel or they wont...end of.
 

CRUNCH TIME

I think it could be one of the more competitive L1's for a while, but I'm feeling really (and unusually) optimistic about this year. The signings have been another level from last year so far, and the squad is shaping up nicely. Bring on Aug 6th!
 

CRUNCH TIME

And even webb had a very good first season with a play off defeat I believe (when we should have stormed it)

I dont buy into all that "need to gel cobblers". The players will either instantly gel or they wont...end of.

We finished lower mid table ish in Webb's first season. It was his second year, 94/95, when we were runners up.
 

CRUNCH TIME

There is no league. Fixtures are arranged as needed and when available against hopefully teams from higher leagues. This is how I understand it from when the development squad was set up.

This sounds like a very cost effective way of providing injury cover to me. Good business sense from the board.
 

CRUNCH TIME

Sheffield United think we'll struggle

Actually, reading this again it says "I've got no ****ing clue who they are or what I'm talking about but they sound sh*t don't they?"

Stinks off...what are we doing in this p1sspoor division with the likes of Brentford....we used to be Premiersh1t don't you know!

I bet we finish higher than the Blades!
 

CRUNCH TIME

Sheffield United think we'll struggle

Actually, reading this again it says "I've got no ****ing clue who they are or what I'm talking about but they sound sh*t don't they?"

Obviously they have little or no concept of what's happening at BFC these days and don't they know Donaldson is not the only first rate signing we have made this summer? Think their comments will come back to bite them on the Arse nal.
 

CRUNCH TIME

To be fair, there are two types of Sheff Utd fans. Those who really are a bit dim and think that they should be in the Premiership, and the ones who reckon it'll take at least one more season before they mount a serious challenge.

Interestingly, Sheff Utd fans are incredibly hard on their own team, and there was quite a backlash over an ex-Wednesdayite becoming their manager. Just about every Sheff Utd fan I talk to have told me that he's got until 15 minutes of their first home game, or they are going to get on his case big time. He is not popular in the slightest, and with highly demanding fans who become very vocal when unhappy, all we need to do is get to a good start at their place and their players will wilt.

Anyway, going back to the original point of this thread, we should be careful of going overboard. Uwe, like most new managers, will often make a positive impact on the squad. We have no idea what his plan B is, and how he will react when we hit a difficult patch. We have no idea what kind of man-manager he is, so how will he handle the squad over the course of the season? The signs are undoubtedly promising, but there are many tests to come, which will ultimately determine whether we will exceed, meet, or fall below the squad potential.

I think that in terms of squad potential, we look like we could hover around the play-offs, so my expectation is that we will finish anywhere between 6th and 9th. If Uwe does well as manager, then obviously play-offs or automatic promotion is a possibility. If he cannot react and galavanise the team after a defeat or two, then team confidence could sap, in which case we could find ourselves doing very poorly.
I think we should be hopeful of promotion, but not expect it. It'll no doubt be a roller-coaster of a season again.
 

CRUNCH TIME

we should be careful of going overboard. Uwe, like most new managers, will often make a positive impact on the squad. We have no idea what his plan B is, and how he will react when we hit a difficult patch. We have no idea what kind of man-manager he is, so how will he handle the squad over the course of the season? The signs are undoubtedly promising, but there are many tests to come, which will ultimately determine whether we will exceed, meet, or fall below the squad potential.

I think that in terms of squad potential, we look like we could hover around the play-offs, so my expectation is that we will finish anywhere between 6th and 9th. If Uwe does well as manager, then obviously play-offs or automatic promotion is a possibility. If he cannot react and galavanise the team after a defeat or two, then team confidence could sap, in which case we could find ourselves doing very poorly.
I think we should be hopeful of promotion, but not expect it. It'll no doubt be a roller-coaster of a season again.

Good post. I think there might be two keys to our season: first, avoiding injuries to key players, for example Jonathan Douglas. Second is being able to deal with sides who try to shut down our passing game. Tonbridge Angels and the Beavers don't really give an indication of what we will face in our division.
Having said that, I reckon the lowest we will finish will be 6th. Think we could set the pace in this division. Also notice that Charlton have been very active in bringing in players. Wondering if they will be quick off the starting blocks also.
 

CRUNCH TIME

we had a shocking team last season and a bad manager, the quality of players brought in and the style of play now being implemented into the squad is a totally different standard, completely different to last year, this season, could be the one me thinks.
 

CRUNCH TIME

I cant recall ever looking forward to a new season as much. I'm trying to button it with the normal, its Brentford nonsense, and in a way, half expecting it to fall flat BUT something inside the head is saying this could really be our year. Have had a couple of decent bets, and fully expect to be collecting next May.

AND we are playing footblall, I mean, proper football. I'm happy with that, & expect to see the Club complaining about lack of useage within Stripes during games from the very early games throughout the season.
 

CRUNCH TIME

...which finished respectably midtable and the great majority of whom are still with us.

We had an average team with a crap manager using crap tactics. With the summer additions to the club we now have a good team with a good manager who deploys good tactics. IMO ;)
 

CRUNCH TIME

...which finished respectably midtable and the great majority of whom are still with us.

...and were never in any danger of challenging for the play-offs.
Mind you, under Andy Scott they made a run for the relegation places.
 

CRUNCH TIME

Of course & where might we have finished if the management had not changed or, as a number of the doubters wished, had happened earlier?

...which finished respectably midtable and the great majority of whom are still with us.
 

CRUNCH TIME

under Andy Scott they made a run for the relegation places.

...having earlier made a run for the promotion places, in that up and down way that most football clubs have over a season.

But we've already been down this road. Let's not go there again.

If the new manager can uncover hidden riches in the same players we had last year, that would be great.
 

CRUNCH TIME

Can't everyone just shut the **** up about Scott in every thread? Thanks.
 

CRUNCH TIME

...and were never in any danger of challenging for the play-offs.
Mind you, under Andy Scott they made a run for the relegation places.

As the previous posts say we don't really need to go over old ground re Scott. Fair to say though that it is still a mystery to me that, with the players we had at our disposal, the first half of last season was such a huge under achievement. The second half of the season, while being largely unspectacular still hinted that a fair proportion of the squad were of reasonable quality.

The common sense approach this summer was not to have a wholesale cull, but to strengthen the areas which were pretty obviously lacking to the majority on here. This seems to have largely been achieved if the pre season so far is anything to go on. The added bonus is the emergence of the likes of Hacker, Reeves and Oleyeke from the youth/development set up.
 

CRUNCH TIME

Can't everyone just shut the **** up about Scott in every thread? Thanks.

The discussion related to the players the present management is inheriting from last season. It would be a pity if 2010-11 were to become a non-season, airbrushed from history and not to be discussed under any circumstances.
 

CRUNCH TIME

For me it all comes down to whether Brentford finally start beating the lesser teams in our league.
 

CRUNCH TIME

That's vital if there's any chance of promotion-I should consider Yeovil a lesser team. Role on the 6th and 3 points start.
 

CRUNCH TIME

No pressure then...


there's always pressure, but I think we saw enough on Friday to suggest we will put 3 points on the table on the 6th.
 

CRUNCH TIME

10th
 

CRUNCH TIME

Rod Liddle backs us as an outside chance in the Sunday Times today so that is our season down the pan.

(Still 20 / 1 at Corals though so I had a bit of that of Friday's performance.)
 

CRUNCH TIME


16/1 now with coral. Did you put a monster bet on to bring the price in 4 points in the last 30 minutes ?
 

CRUNCH TIME

9/2 to get promoted now on Bet 365 after starting at 25/1....we're rising.
 
Back
Top Bottom