David Raya

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Raya

Can we bring Alvaro on
Difficult to say, it's possible I guess. Only those who see him on a daily basis really know the answer to that one. I always felt that Alvaro was on the short side and tbh I did not think he was good enough. Happy to be proved wrong though.
 

David Raya

Difficult to say, it's possible I guess. Only those who see him on a daily basis really know the answer to that one. I always felt that Alvaro was on the short side and tbh I did not think he was good enough. Happy to be proved wrong though.
Didn't I read somewhere he was an inch taller than Raya?
 

David Raya

The one thing I think we are missing in this discussion is that Raya is exceptional and with the best will in the world, replacing him with someone immediately at that level is just not going to happen. The best we can hope for is a competent mid table level keeper who has room to grow and improves steadily to become Raya Mk II
 

David Raya

Didn't I read somewhere he was an inch taller than Raya?
You may well be right but he always looked smaller to me. Maybe it's down to Raya's technique in the way he is able to make himself look bigger than he actually is. Alvaro always looked vulnerable to me.
 

David Raya

Raya’s size is against him but he doesn’t goal tend to his size, he commands the area, is aggressive in his pursuit of the ball, gets hands and fists on and catches difficult looking crosses, a good shot stopper and very good with his passing.
Ramsdale got relegated twice and cost 30 mill, I hope the size aspect frightens off that sort of bid as there isn’t much not to like about him.
 

David Raya

Raya is certainly not under the radar now.

Whilst still a Championship player he was linked with City and (more heavily) Arsenal before they signed Ramsdale instead for £30m. These are huge clubs.

Since then he’s played regularly at PL, looked very good, and been capped by Spain. Our form tanked without him in the side. All of this will only serve to intensify any interest in him.

He is an excellent modern goalkeeper, great with the ball at his feet, is English/Spanish bilingual (but still counts as “homegrown” and goes towards that quota for PL teams) and has his best years ahead of him.

He could go to a top top club here or overseas and challenge for the No 1 shirt. Kepa cost Chelsea £75m and is, at best, of comparable level with Raya.

If we can get him to sign another deal and fend off any interest for 1-2 years that would be brilliant for our club, but I personally think it might be a struggle. He has earned a “massive” move.
 

David Raya

David Raya


David Raya has committed his future to Brentford FC by agreeing a new long-term contract. The goalkeeper signed his new deal, which runs through to the summer of 2024 earlier today

We won't want him to go into the last year so I'm sure we will be looking to renew. If we are going to lose a big player this summer he is probably the most likely I'd say. He will appeal to a lot of top clubs, here and in Spain.
 

David Raya

Man U are reportedly asking £40m for Dean Henderson who, let’s remember, is currently #2 behind a keeper that couldn’t make the latest Spain squad. What does that say about what it would take to prize David away from the BCS?
 

David Raya

I genuinely believe he’s better than every goalie in the league barring ederson and Alison he could go anywhere obvs hope he doesnt
Sure, but, realistically i don't see arsenal going for him when they just spent big money on Ramsdale; Spurs wouldn't go for him unless Lloris was leaving; ditto Man U and de Gea... and Chelsea have Mendy.

Newcastle and West Ham loom as problems, potentially (the former far more than the latter, would like to think we could resist the Hammers).
 

David Raya

Man U are reportedly asking £40m for Dean Henderson who, let’s remember, is currently #2 behind a keeper that couldn’t make the latest Spain squad. What does that say about what it would take to prize David away from the BCS?
Or how greedy Man Utd are.
 

David Raya

Lovely to see David run the entire length of the pitch to get to the celebrations for the 95th minute winner vs Watford ?

I always think goalkeepers must feel a bit lonely in moments like those... nothing was stopping our David though!
 

David Raya

Great to see him wearing blue at Watford. The pink thing reminds me too much of what Reading wore at GP about 6 years ago - right down to the mismatching socks.
I noticed only one person in the Wendy house was wearing the shirt that miserable day - stood out like a pink thumb at a Smurfs school reunion.
 

David Raya

Man U are reportedly asking £40m for Dean Henderson who, let’s remember, is currently #2 behind a keeper that couldn’t make the latest Spain squad. What does that say about what it would take to prize David away from the BCS?
What it says is, that if David Raya goes this summer it will not be for less than £60 million!
 

David Raya

Sure, but, realistically i don't see arsenal going for him when they just spent big money on Ramsdale; Spurs wouldn't go for him unless Lloris was leaving; ditto Man U and de Gea... and Chelsea have Mendy.

Newcastle and West Ham loom as problems, potentially (the former far more than the latter, would like to think we could resist the Hammers).
Any Prem club looking for a keeper in the summer will be able to go for either Pickford or Pope - two England keepers, at least one of whom will be heading for the Championship and looking to move on. I'd rather have Raya than either of them, but he may be rated behind those two by the clubs in the market.
 

David Raya

Any Prem club looking for a keeper in the summer will be able to go for either Pickford or Pope - two England keepers, at least one of whom will be heading for the Championship and looking to move on. I'd rather have Raya than either of them, but he may be rated behind those two by the clubs in the market.
You forgot Ben Foster ?
 

David Raya

Any Prem club looking for a keeper in the summer will be able to go for either Pickford or Pope - two England keepers, at least one of whom will be heading for the Championship and looking to move on. I'd rather have Raya than either of them, but he may be rated behind those two by the clubs in the market.
I doubt it DR is not under the RADA now. He could walk into a Top Six Club, and take top spot! By goal keeping standards he is not yet at his peak
 

David Raya

I always liked Button and Bentley (though the latter went off the boil a bit) but Raya is, as everyone knows, a significant upgrade. One of the few players in my time following Brentford that I would be really sorry to see go.
 

David Raya

I am amazed teams are not ‘sniffing around’

Long may it continue!

Of course they are! Just depends on which team! Spurs will be on the look out for a top keeper……especially one that can pass a ball better than anything they had in their XI!!
 

David Raya

Of course they are! Just depends on which team! Spurs will be on the look out for a top keeper……especially one that can pass a ball better than anything they had in their XI!!
While Spurs are looking, not seen Raya linked.

I guess haven't seen in the media yet. Maybe not done clickbait enough ?‍♂️

Value could (should) go onto another level after the World Cup
 

David Raya

While Spurs are looking, not seen Raya linked.

I guess haven't seen in the media yet. Maybe not done clickbait enough ?‍♂️

Value could (should) go onto another level after the World Cup

Nothing about clickbait! I just have a Club who are on the lookout, if not next season then the season after.

Raya is one player who we all want to sign a new deal. I hope he does.
 

David Raya

It speaks volumes for the remarkable quality of David's distribution that he was close to being my man of the match without ever actually having to make a single save. We are truly blessed to be watching one of the best goalkeepers in the world. And to think we signed him for about the same fee as we got in return for Bentley.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom