David Raya

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Raya

Just wish he would kiss his guns at least once
 

David Raya

Few dodgy moments but handled the ball well and distribution better than against united.
 

David Raya

Good to hear his song get an airing in the West Stand yesterday.....
All be it a bit muted.......
 

David Raya

Had me biting my nails at times on Saturday. Even the air kick challenging their striker had me cringing.

Unbelievable distribution though.
 

David Raya

Interesting stats on 'keepers across all the major leagues. You can sort and see that David is top of the Premier League (ENG) for forward passes. Even more interesting is the number 2 on the list...

 

David Raya

Excuse me for a slightly pointless discussion point, but do you think we can say he's one of the top 10 keepers in the world? ? sadly none of us probably have the qualifications to answer definitively, but if he's one of the top 6 or 7 in the Prem, there can't be too many others out there ahead of him. Crazy to think we have one of the world's top X keepers......
 

David Raya

Excuse me for a slightly pointless discussion point, but do you think we can say he's one of the top 10 keepers in the world? ? sadly none of us probably have the qualifications to answer definitively, but if he's one of the top 6 or 7 in the Prem, there can't be too many others out there ahead of him. Crazy to think we have one of the world's top X keepers......
Well behind Allison and the Man City keeper who’s name escapes me I’m struggling to find better.
 

David Raya

Excuse me for a slightly pointless discussion point, but do you think we can say he's one of the top 10 keepers in the world? ? sadly none of us probably have the qualifications to answer definitively, but if he's one of the top 6 or 7 in the Prem, there can't be too many others out there ahead of him. Crazy to think we have one of the world's top X keepers......
The Chelsea bloke looked quite good against us at the BCS.
 

David Raya

Edouard Mendy. Although I think his second half of the season has been a bit disappointing, based on what I've read.
And there was his huge gaffe in the CL quarter final.
 

David Raya

Wouldn’t swap him for David but I rate Nick Pope
 

David Raya

Easily. The new modern keeper sweeper apart from Ederson and Alison he is third behind them in my eyes
 

David Raya

Excuse me for a slightly pointless discussion point, but do you think we can say he's one of the top 10 keepers in the world? ? sadly none of us probably have the qualifications to answer definitively, but if he's one of the top 6 or 7 in the Prem, there can't be too many others out there ahead of him. Crazy to think we have one of the world's top X keepers......
Raya has the complete skill set. Considering he’s i) still only 26 ii) nowhere near his prime for a GK and iii) 4 years younger than Mendy and 3 years younger than Alison, by the time he is in his prime, he will easily be considered one of the best keepers in the world.
 

David Raya

Excuse me for a slightly pointless discussion point, but do you think we can say he's one of the top 10 keepers in the world? ? sadly none of us probably have the qualifications to answer definitively, but if he's one of the top 6 or 7 in the Prem, there can't be too many others out there ahead of him. Crazy to think we have one of the world's top X keepers......
Yes we can say that.
 

David Raya

Excuse me for a slightly pointless discussion point, but do you think we can say he's one of the top 10 keepers in the world? ? sadly none of us probably have the qualifications to answer definitively, but if he's one of the top 6 or 7 in the Prem, there can't be too many others out there ahead of him. Crazy to think we have one of the world's top X keepers......
In my opinion if you had said he was the best in the Premier League that would be difficult to argue against. He is at least in the top 2 or 3.
 

David Raya

In my opinion if you had said he was the best in the Premier League that would be difficult to argue against. He is at least in the top 2 or 3.
honestly, the starting point in my head was that you could say he is a top 5 keeper in the world - i went down to 10 so that i didn't seem crazy :D
 

David Raya

Noticed in the last couple of games that he's actually making saves and holding on to the ball, rather than pushing it away, which seems rather a lost art nowadays.
I’ve noticed it too. Apart from looking great and showing complete confidence (cf some less than convincing punching out last season) I think it is a big tactical signal to opponents that just following up long distance shots in anticipation of a misplaced parry isn’t such a big move against him, which keeps the box clearer and gives our CBs more licence to push out.
 

David Raya

Noticed in the last couple of games that he's actually making saves and holding on to the ball, rather than pushing it away, which seems rather a lost art nowadays.
and long may that continue if he's confident enough to do it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Vid

David Raya

I’ve noticed it too. Apart from looking great and showing complete confidence (cf some less than convincing punching out last season) I think it is a big tactical signal to opponents that just following up long distance shots in anticipation of a misplaced parry isn’t such a big move against him, which keeps the box clearer and gives our CBs more licence to push out.
I suspect it’s more to do with a desire to immediately counterattack.
He was absolutely outstanding against Everton, always looking to take the positive/ aggressive option whether sweeping, fielding crosses or shots and his passing was excellent.
Felt quite sorry for Pickford down the other end in comparison ?
 

David Raya

Noticed in the last couple of games that he's actually making saves and holding on to the ball, rather than pushing it away, which seems rather a lost art nowadays.
Commentary on Sunday said of one of his catches "one for the camera".
When they replayed it from camera behind goal it did look a good save/catch with a bit of show to it.
My brother used to (try) make those types of saves. It is difficult.
 

David Raya

honestly, the starting point in my head was that you could say he is a top 5 keeper in the world - i went down to 10 so that i didn't seem crazy :D
He is not at his best currently, if however, we consider how he was playing prior to injury I personally have not seen better at any home match so far this season. I think of all our players he may turn out to be hardest to hold on to.
 

David Raya

I haven’t seen a replay yet, so I may be wrong. But I didn’t think he was helped by the players in front of him. It was a bad error though.
 

David Raya

I haven’t seen a replay yet, so I may be wrong. But I didn’t think he was helped by the players in front of him. It was a bad error though.
If anything, I don't think he actually needed to bring Raphina down, as the covering defenders could probably have done enough to disposess him.....
 

David Raya

If anything, I don't think he actually needed to bring Raphina down, as the covering defenders could probably have done enough to disposess him.....
It looks to me as if Raphina knows there are covering defenders, leaves his foot behind and then throws himself down quite dramatically.

It’s still a penalty but Raphina’s made the most of the situation to make sure he gets it.
 

David Raya

It looks to me as if Raphina knows there are covering defenders, leaves his foot behind and then throws himself down quite dramatically.

It’s still a penalty but Raphina’s made the most of the situation to make sure he gets it.
Yeah, I wasn't even convinced he made any contact with Raphina but I haven't studied any replays - not that it actually matters in terms of giving away the foul.

The incident was very similar to the cock-up at Man City that brought their second.
 

David Raya

Yeah, I wasn't even convinced he made any contact with Raphina but I haven't studied any replays - not that it actually matters in terms of giving away the foul.

The incident was very similar to the cock-up at Man City that brought their second.
I’ve just seen it again on MOTD and I think he even steps in to Raya to make sure of the appearance of contact, before the acrobatics.
 

David Raya

Did anyone spot David’s cheeky little round-the-world in the first half? Nothing special for a pro these days, I know, but it impressed me.
 

David Raya

What is that please?
It’s something I can’t do because it wasn’t a thing when you and I both played when younger, but my daughter can manage it in sequence, with both feet, clockwise and anti-clockwise, because this is a thing these days Even a goalie can do it, you’ll be interested to notice. ?

Hope this helps.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom