FC Midtjylland

FC Midtjylland

Then they can get in a group with

Man United
Monaco
Feyenoord
 

FC Midtjylland

If their fans are anything like ours then they've massively failed this season
 

FC Midtjylland

Won their Europa League 1st Q Round / 1st leg match last night 1-0 against Lithuanian side FK Sūduva Marijampolė. Second leg away next Thursday.

Winner over two legs to play either Vaduz (Liechtenstein) or Sileks (Macedonia) - Vaduz won 1st Q Round / 1st leg 3-1.
 
Last edited:

FC Midtjylland

Won their Europa League 1st Q Round / 1st leg match last night 1-0 against Lithuanian side FK Sūduva Marijampolė. Second leg away next Thursday.

Winner over two legs to play either Vaduz (Liechtenstein) or Sileks (Macedonia) - Vaduz won 1st Q Round / 1st leg 3-1.

Amazed thats there's room for one team in Vaduz/Liechtenstein let alone two! As theres only one city who do they contest the league with! Shouldn't they play in Switzerland ala Monaco in France!
 

FC Midtjylland

Amazed thats there's room for one team in Vaduz/Liechtenstein let alone two! As theres only one city who do they contest the league with! Shouldn't they play in Switzerland ala Monaco in France!

Yes they play in the Swiss Super league (an oxymoron if ever there was one).

Wikipedia said:
Vaduz is unique in that it represents its own national association in the UEFA Europa League when winning the domestic cup, whilst playing in another country's league. This is due to Liechtenstein not organizing its own league

The Wikipedia page is actually quite interesting regarding the legal status - it is regarded as a guest team in Switzerland (unlike welsh teams or Monaco) and therefore could not qualify for the champions league if it won the Swiss league.
 
Last edited:

FC Midtjylland

First match of 3rd qualifying round tonight away to Videoton of Hungary.
 

FC Midtjylland

First match of 3rd qualifying round tonight away to Videoton of Hungary.

Tough one that.

Is the next round the group stage?
 

FC Midtjylland

Tough one that.

Is the next round the group stage?

Play-offs for group stage. Think Midjylland are marginal favourites - hoping for a draw tonight.
 
Last edited:

FC Midtjylland

Tough one that.

Is the next round the group stage?
Dunno anything about Videoton, but I note that (the once mighty) Ferencvaros were knocked out of Europe last week by an Albanian team, albeit on penalties.

And if you look at Hungary's UEFA club co-efficient, Danish clubs are 21st, whilst Hungary's are 34th - behind Moldova, Liechtenstein, Kazakhstan and Cyprus. Oh and Scotland :eek:
http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

Maybe FCM should be reasonably confident?
 

FC Midtjylland

Dunno anything about Videoton, but I note that (the once mighty) Ferencvaros were knocked out of Europe last week by an Albanian team, albeit on penalties.

And if you look at Hungary's UEFA club co-efficient, Danish clubs are 21st, whilst Hungary's are 34th - behind Moldova, Liechtenstein, Kazakhstan and Cyprus. Oh and Scotland :eek:
http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

Maybe FCM should be reasonably confident?

Indeed Team wise Midjylland are #91 (highest Danish Team based mainly on last season) and Videoton are #124 - they had a run a few years back.
 

FC Midtjylland

And that year QPR had to play at Arsenal as UEFA banned the plastic pitch !!!
 

FC Midtjylland

Dunno anything about Videoton, but I note that (the once mighty) Ferencvaros were knocked out of Europe last week by an Albanian team, albeit on penalties.

Marco Djuricin not doing the business for them then?
 

FC Midtjylland

So they could get through to a game against Manchester United (again), Southampton (again) or West Ham United (maybe)!
 

FC Midtjylland

No because the way the seedings are lookings at the moment they will be in Pot 4 WITH Southampton and West Ham so would not be able to play either of them
 

FC Midtjylland

Pione Sisto expected to sign for Celta Vigo this week.
 

FC Midtjylland

Some exciting transfer-news.

Pione Sisto was sold to Celta Vigo today. Transferfee approximately 5 mio. GBP - plus 20 % of the transferfee over 5 mio. GBP, if Celta Vigo sells him. Reportedly there is a 30 mio. GBP buy out clause.

It seems that FCM is getting ready to spend some of the money. Rafael van der Vaart (ex. Real Madrid and Tottenham) was at the stadium yesterday. He has a contract at Betis Sevilla.
So why would a 33 year old player with 109 games for the Netherlands like to play for FC Midtjylland?????

Because his girlfriend is a handball-player living in Denmark. She has played for Esbjerg since 2013. They are Danish champions. Esbjerg is 50 miles south of Herning. Remember that FCM also has a very good handballteam. They actually lost the final to Esbjerg last year.
Van der Vaart is out of favor at Betis, and they have asked him to find a new club.
He is probably not in form at the moment, and I think any decision will await the Europa League home match versus Videoton on Thursday. If FCM qualifies to the next round, they are only 2 games away from the Group stages, where the big money waits.
In Denmark there are a speciel tax rule for foreign specialists working in Denmark. Originally the rules was aimed at foreign professors, scientists or others specialists working up to 5 years in Denmark. That means that Van der Vaart will pay a reduced tax (almost half of "normal" citizens). He will just have to earn 76.000 GBP per year to qualify. I don't think that would be a problem. :-)

Esbjerg also has a football team in the Super League. They are managed by Colin Todd. But the club has no money and a lot of good players has left this summer. After 3 games they are last in the league with zero point. Van der Vaart is not a issue for them at all.
 

FC Midtjylland

So why would a 33 year old player with 109 games for the Netherlands like to play for FC Midtjylland?????
He was linked with a move to Reading FC last week.

If you've ever been to Reading, you'll know the answer to your question... ;)

Though to be serious, "linked with Reading FC" suggests he doesn't have a lot of other options?
 

FC Midtjylland

I know Reading as a football club, but I don't think he's got a girlfriend in that area. Well actually what do I know about that. :confused:

In my opinion money will be the issue. Although he has probably earned a lot in his previous clubs, he will not accept peanuts. But a lower salary that in other countries, because his girlfriend is here.

At 33 he will be able to settle down, play some good football without the pressure as in the big clubs and leagues, and have a family life. With the perfect balance in his life, he would still have 2-3 good years left.

But Herning is certainly not London, Madrid or Munich............. more like Reading, which is actually 3 times the size of Herning.
 

FC Midtjylland

I know Reading as a football club, but I don't think he's got a girlfriend in that area. Well actually what do I know about that. :confused:
.

roflroflrofl
 

FC Midtjylland

Interesting FCM don't mind signing journeymen, but I guess he'll have to take a massive pay cut
 

FC Midtjylland

Interesting FCM don't mind signing journeymen, but I guess he'll have to take a massive pay cut

I'm not sure a player with 100+ international appearances (one of which was a World Cup final) and had 6 clubs over a 16 year career can be defined as a 'journeyman'. We have a few of our own 'Journeymen' as well in that case...
 

FC Midtjylland

Seems that the final issue is how must Betis will pay to get out of a 2 year contract.

By the way his son lives in Hamburg with his former wife, 200 miles from Herning. I think they also beat Reading there.....
 

FC Midtjylland

I'm not sure a player with 100+ international appearances (one of which was a World Cup final) and had 6 clubs over a 16 year career can be defined as a 'journeyman'. We have a few of our own 'Journeymen' as well in that case...
A journeyman is someone who has completed an indentured apprenticeship and is qualified to work independent of his master as a tradesman, originally on a day rate (hence journée, from the French). I think he has qualified!
 

FC Midtjylland

I'm not sure a player with 100+ international appearances (one of which was a World Cup final) and had 6 clubs over a 16 year career can be defined as a 'journeyman'. We have a few of our own 'Journeymen' as well in that case...
Saw him play a few times for Spurs - truly wonderful player. In fact, how he got all those caps when he should have been in direct competition with Arjen Robben is remarkable. (I think the Managers usually tweaked the formation to accommodate both).

Anyhow, if his "legs" (and motivation) haven't gone too much, then I'd say his skill, nous and experience would see him coast through the Danish Superleague or English Championship. If he should sign for FCM, then it would make me take an even closer interest in the club than I have since the Bees connection.
 

FC Midtjylland

Won their 3rd qualifying EL just
Even though some big teams have come down from losing CL
They are just in the pot of seeds for the last draw today
Win this tie and Group Stages secured
 

FC Midtjylland

Won their 3rd qualifying EL just
Even though some big teams have come down from losing CL
They are just in the pot of seeds for the last draw today
Win this tie and Group Stages secured

Notice that Brondby and SonderjyskE also qualified but are unseeded - assume that they cannot be drawn against each other?

This is good for Danish football and their overall co-efficient - Copenhagen are also into the play-off of the Champions league so are guaranteed to get to the group stages of either Champions League if they win or Europa if they lose.
 

FC Midtjylland

FC Midtjylland v Osmanlispor (Turkey)... I won't be popping along to that one, then!
 

FC Midtjylland

FC Midtjylland v Osmanlispor (Turkey)... I won't be popping along to that one, then!

Not too bad a draw for them - need to get a result at home in the first leg as the second leg is going to be lively.
 

FC Midtjylland

FC Midtjylland v Osmanlispor (Turkey)... I won't be popping along to that one, then!

Since you're letting the side down, I might be able to represent the interests of the GPG.
Osmanlispor is an Ankara club, I am due to be in Turkey that week.
 

FC Midtjylland

Since you're letting the side down, I might be able to represent the interests of the GPG.
Osmanlispor is an Ankara club, I am due to be in Turkey that week.
I'd guess that you could contact the Club and they could arrange to get you a ticket with the FCM fans; I've a feeling you may need a protecting crowd around you!
 

FC Midtjylland

I'd guess that you could contact the Club and they could arrange to get you a ticket with the FCM fans; I've a feeling you may need a protecting crowd around you!

I am not sure Osmanlispor fit the image of the typical passionate Turkish support.
I would be surprised if there will be 10K in the crowd & the away end will be empty.
Besides, I will go undercover......
 

FC Midtjylland

Rafael van der Vaart signed for FC Midtjylland. 2 year contract.
Will probably need the rest of August to get up in speed.
 

FC Midtjylland

Would be interesting to know the sort of wages they are paying him

Anything denominated in Euros is now circa 12% more expensive for us since the Momentous' Brexit vote- well done all exitiors!
 

FC Midtjylland

****ers on Twitter getting lathered about this. If I was Benham, I would away from these mugs and let them deal with the sh*t. I suspect that most t haven't done a constructive thing in their life though.
 

FC Midtjylland

Anything denominated in Euros is now circa 12% more expensive for us since the Momentous' Brexit vote- well done all exitiors!

What a strange comment. Why would someone being paid by a Danish club affect us or be affected by the £/€ exchange rate?
 
Back
Top Bottom