Travel Tavern Bee
Active member
Jamie Bates
you're wrong too lol
loads worse than Feely
Yes there were but the way he was lorded but some fans was quite remarkable.
you're wrong too lol
loads worse than Feely
Batesy is keeping well and said he was "gutted for everyone involved with the Bees" last season and that he is planning on coming down the Bees once things get going again.
Me and Mr Logan saw Batesy make his debut up at Carlisle on a Tuesday night. 0-0. Good defending.
Not only was he tasty tasty very very tasty but he was an excellent centre back and a poor right back
Sadly for him and us he played most of his career at right back thanks to the fantastic partnership of Millen and Evans
Batesy is keeping well and said he was "gutted for everyone involved with the Bees" last season and that he is planning on coming down the Bees once things get going again.
Me and Mr Logan saw Batesy make his debut up at Carlisle on a Tuesday night. 0-0. Good defending.
1986 mate , good turn out of about 300 iirc
Very good turnout - probably more like 200. I remember one of the Carlisle Board was walking around the ground with a Bees Director (can't recall who) before the game and he had a quick chat with us. He was surprised and very impressed with our numbers for a Tuesday night game.
I also remember the car juddering to a halt on the M6 coming home - and we were still north of Lancaster!! Luckily it kicked into life again and got us home ok.
Never good in a penalty shoot out. My heart used to sink when he was announced as one of the pen takers! I seem to remember he never, or only rarely, scored in those situations. Having said that, overall a decent player for us at that time.
Apart from 'Udders..........obviously............shudders.........
You're a poet and wasn't even aware.
sure it mansfield the own goal? and a screamer in the right end at shrewsbury? i dunno
you're wrong too lol
loads worse than Feely

Didn't he come on up front at the Peterborough promotion game as all the forwards were injured in the last 20 minutes? That's what my aged memory is telling me.
Batesy is keeping well and said he was "gutted for everyone involved with the Bees" last season and that he is planning on coming down the Bees once things get going again.
Me and Mr Logan saw Batesy make his debut up at Carlisle on a Tuesday night. 0-0. Good defending.
I remember that game. Had to take a sicky from work. Did a 12 hour shift then, from 7pm till 7am and was my only way of going, cos couldn’t take holiday.
I got tipped off from a work colleague, the subsequent day, that my Manager had called me at home, at 2am and 3am ! and no answer and I didn’t get back from game till 6am next morning. Think I was on the coach.
No mobile phones in those day.
When I got back to work, Manager had a chat with me. I told him I wasn’t well enough to answer phone
He was a right t*sser.
I remember that game. Had to take a sicky from work. Did a 12 hour shift then, from 7pm till 7am and was my only way of going, cos couldn’t take holiday.
I got tipped off from a work colleague, the subsequent day, that my Manager had called me at home, at 2am and 3am ! and no answer and I didn’t get back from game till 6am next morning. Think I was on the coach.
No mobile phones in those day.
When I got back to work, Manager had a chat with me. I told him I wasn’t well enough to answer phone
He was a right t*sser.
Called you at 2am? Surely that's not allowed.
Called you at 2am? Surely that's not allowed.
Called you at 2am? Surely that's not allowed.
Batesy is keeping well and said he was "gutted for everyone involved with the Bees" last season and that he is planning on coming down the Bees once things get going again.
Me and Mr Logan saw Batesy make his debut up at Carlisle on a Tuesday night. 0-0. Good defending.
Very good turnout - probably more like 200. I remember one of the Carlisle Board was walking around the ground with a Bees Director (can't recall who) before the game and he had a quick chat with us. He was surprised and very impressed with our numbers for a Tuesday night game.
I also remember the car juddering to a halt on the M6 coming home - and we were still north of Lancaster!! Luckily it kicked into life again and got us home ok.
I stayed working for them, for a further 14 years and the Manager left and went into hotel management.
Liked Jamie Bates as a footballer more when we sold both Evans and Millen. Turned into a good centre back and had a good partnership with Barry Ashby. My memories of Jamie Bates:
- getting punched in the back of the head after one game - can’t remember that player that did it
.
So did anyone pay for a bit of a batesy love in??
Let’s get to the saucy stuff and forget his football contributions or lack off
Another story.... I worked for a large American Bank, based in Croydon and on Cherry Orchard Road. Jamie’s wife worked in an establishment called ‘Cherries’, just 50 yards down the road from where we worked. I never went there, but I know of others that did.
Remember going into work one Sunday and the news was all over the front page of the News of the World. It was pre season when the news all came out. Jamie must’ve got some stick from his team mates !
Remember him getting sent off against Mansfield with Colin Lee , both sides down to 9 men and old Rosey went in goal for them . Batesy landed one right in the face of the Mansfield player . Had a great view of it ������
Remember him getting sent off against Mansfield with Colin Lee , both sides down to 9 men and old Rosey went in goal for them . Batesy landed one right in the face of the Mansfield player . Had a great view of it ???
He played many games at centre half too and was actually quite good. Went on to Wycombe following Big Tel and played many more games. Never really understood why Big Tel was forced out unless it was a personality or wages thing with Webb. He was plenty good enough for another 2 or 3 seasons.
Another story.... I worked for a large American Bank, based in Croydon and on Cherry Orchard Road. Jamie’s wife worked in an establishment called ‘Cherries’, just 50 yards down the road from where we worked. I never went there, but I know of others that did.
Remember going into work one Sunday and the news was all over the front page of the News of the World. It was pre season when the news all came out. Jamie must’ve got some stick from his team mates !
Not only was he tasty tasty very very tasty but he was an excellent centre back and a poor right back
Sadly for him and us he played most of his career at right back thanks to the fantastic partnership of Millen and Evans
He played many games at centre half too and was actually quite good. Went on to Wycombe following Big Tel and played many more games. Never really understood why Big Tel was forced out unless it was a personality or wages thing with Webb. He was plenty good enough for another 2 or 3 seasons.
Not only was he tasty tasty very very tasty but he was an excellent centre back and a poor right back
Sadly for him and us he played most of his career at right back thanks to the fantastic partnership of Millen and Evans
Remember him getting sent off against Mansfield with Colin Lee , both sides down to 9 men and old Rosey went in goal for them . Batesy landed one right in the face of the Mansfield player . Had a great view of it ������
Gary Brabin allegedly. There was only ever going to be one winner.
Don't think there was any allegedly about it, it was widely reported as being Brabin. Home game vs Blackpool 96-97 I think.
I asked about it during the GP farewell tour and was told that Batesy basically made a meal of it, although I remember it as him being knocked out cold.
Was told during the same conversation that the far bigger tunnel incident was Roget vs Alsop, described as being like a heavyweight bout, and with the latter having to be locked in the dressing room.
Brabin was hiding on the team coach & if i remember rightly arrested from the coach bog.
What was the Roget Alsop row about hadn’t when ?
Both were sent off during the 2-2 home draw in April 2003 and were basically squaring up all the way down the touchline from the Ealing Road end to the tunnel. Alsop is apparently a former boxer!
Didn’t he get done for bullying apprentices a few years later? Seem to remember something unsavoury with a ?
Didn’t he get done for bullying apprentices a few years later? Seem to remember something unsavoury with a ?
I thought we'd been trying to sign him for the last 15 years.......
Both were sent off during the 2-2 home draw in April 2003 and were basically squaring up all the way down the touchline from the Ealing Road end to the tunnel. Alsop is apparently a former boxer!
I recall some tasty tackling in the ER-BR corner but I think it had been brewing for some time before that.I dont remember why they got sent off