Jamie Bates

Jamie Bates

Batesy is keeping well and said he was "gutted for everyone involved with the Bees" last season and that he is planning on coming down the Bees once things get going again.

Me and Mr Logan saw Batesy make his debut up at Carlisle on a Tuesday night. 0-0. Good defending.

Great to hear he is doing well and is still in touch with people connected to the club
 

Jamie Bates

Not only was he tasty tasty very very tasty but he was an excellent centre back and a poor right back

Sadly for him and us he played most of his career at right back thanks to the fantastic partnership of Millen and Evans
 

Jamie Bates

Not only was he tasty tasty very very tasty but he was an excellent centre back and a poor right back

Sadly for him and us he played most of his career at right back thanks to the fantastic partnership of Millen and Evans

He played many games at centre half too and was actually quite good. Went on to Wycombe following Big Tel and played many more games. Never really understood why Big Tel was forced out unless it was a personality or wages thing with Webb. He was plenty good enough for another 2 or 3 seasons.
 

Jamie Bates

Batesy is keeping well and said he was "gutted for everyone involved with the Bees" last season and that he is planning on coming down the Bees once things get going again.

Me and Mr Logan saw Batesy make his debut up at Carlisle on a Tuesday night. 0-0. Good defending.

1986 mate , good turn out of about 300 iirc
 

Jamie Bates

1986 mate , good turn out of about 300 iirc

Very good turnout - probably more like 200. I remember one of the Carlisle Board was walking around the ground with a Bees Director (can't recall who) before the game and he had a quick chat with us. He was surprised and very impressed with our numbers for a Tuesday night game.

I also remember the car juddering to a halt on the M6 coming home - and we were still north of Lancaster!! Luckily it kicked into life again and got us home ok.
 

Jamie Bates

Very good turnout - probably more like 200. I remember one of the Carlisle Board was walking around the ground with a Bees Director (can't recall who) before the game and he had a quick chat with us. He was surprised and very impressed with our numbers for a Tuesday night game.

I also remember the car juddering to a halt on the M6 coming home - and we were still north of Lancaster!! Luckily it kicked into life again and got us home ok.

ok 250 lol
 

Jamie Bates

Never good in a penalty shoot out. My heart used to sink when he was announced as one of the pen takers! I seem to remember he never, or only rarely, scored in those situations. Having said that, overall a decent player for us at that time.
 

Jamie Bates

Never good in a penalty shoot out. My heart used to sink when he was announced as one of the pen takers! I seem to remember he never, or only rarely, scored in those situations. Having said that, overall a decent player for us at that time.

How many shoot-outs was he involved in?
Don't remember how many we had when he was with us.......

Apart from 'Udders..........obviously............shudders.........
 

Jamie Bates

sure it mansfield the own goal? and a screamer in the right end at shrewsbury? i dunno

Mansfield was the sending off, unless there was an OG as well.
 

Jamie Bates

Didn't he come on up front at the Peterborough promotion game as all the forwards were injured in the last 20 minutes? That's what my aged memory is telling me.

You are probably right.

I also seem to remember ,when he was warming up, he was getting score updates from the Bees fans.
 

Jamie Bates

Batesy is keeping well and said he was "gutted for everyone involved with the Bees" last season and that he is planning on coming down the Bees once things get going again.

Me and Mr Logan saw Batesy make his debut up at Carlisle on a Tuesday night. 0-0. Good defending.

I remember that game. Had to take a sicky from work. Did a 12 hour shift then, from 7pm till 7am and was my only way of going, cos couldn’t take holiday.
I got tipped off from a work colleague, the subsequent day, that my Manager had called me at home, at 2am and 3am ! and no answer and I didn’t get back from game till 6am next morning. Think I was on the coach.
No mobile phones in those day.
When I got back to work, Manager had a chat with me. I told him I wasn’t well enough to answer phone
He was a right t*sser.
 

Jamie Bates

I remember that game. Had to take a sicky from work. Did a 12 hour shift then, from 7pm till 7am and was my only way of going, cos couldn’t take holiday.
I got tipped off from a work colleague, the subsequent day, that my Manager had called me at home, at 2am and 3am ! and no answer and I didn’t get back from game till 6am next morning. Think I was on the coach.
No mobile phones in those day.
When I got back to work, Manager had a chat with me. I told him I wasn’t well enough to answer phone
He was a right t*sser.

Called you at 2am? Surely that's not allowed.
 

Jamie Bates

I remember that game. Had to take a sicky from work. Did a 12 hour shift then, from 7pm till 7am and was my only way of going, cos couldn’t take holiday.
I got tipped off from a work colleague, the subsequent day, that my Manager had called me at home, at 2am and 3am ! and no answer and I didn’t get back from game till 6am next morning. Think I was on the coach.
No mobile phones in those day.
When I got back to work, Manager had a chat with me. I told him I wasn’t well enough to answer phone
He was a right t*sser.

If that was the same game.

A work colleague of mine started work at 6.00am, finished his duty, went to Carlisle, came back and went straight into work the next day.
 

Jamie Bates

Called you at 2am? Surely that's not allowed.

My company used to phone you at home if you were sick, on the pretence that they were asking after your welfare.
 

Jamie Bates

Batesy is keeping well and said he was "gutted for everyone involved with the Bees" last season and that he is planning on coming down the Bees once things get going again.

Me and Mr Logan saw Batesy make his debut up at Carlisle on a Tuesday night. 0-0. Good defending.

Very good turnout - probably more like 200. I remember one of the Carlisle Board was walking around the ground with a Bees Director (can't recall who) before the game and he had a quick chat with us. He was surprised and very impressed with our numbers for a Tuesday night game.

I also remember the car juddering to a halt on the M6 coming home - and we were still north of Lancaster!! Luckily it kicked into life again and got us home ok.

I also made that trip up to Carlisle on the supporters coach. Tony Obi played. Only season I’ve done every game home and away.
 

Jamie Bates

Liked Jamie Bates as a footballer more when we sold both Evans and Millen. Turned into a good centre back and had a good partnership with Barry Ashby. My memories of Jamie Bates:

- as a Youth Team player hitting on my mates older sister
- that penalty miss against Huddersfield - just whack the ball
- playing up front last 10-15 mins of P’boro away
- getting punched in the back of the head after one game - can’t remember that player that did it
- remember a quote where he said he follows Wycombe results and no mention of Brentford !

And to those that mention above Andy Feeley was distant with fans - I always found him charming to chat too and his wife was a beauty also.
 

Jamie Bates

Liked Jamie Bates as a footballer more when we sold both Evans and Millen. Turned into a good centre back and had a good partnership with Barry Ashby. My memories of Jamie Bates:

- getting punched in the back of the head after one game - can’t remember that player that did it
.

Gary Brabin allegedly. There was only ever going to be one winner.
 

Jamie Bates

I recollect his as a CB not full back. I also remember on one of those PC DOS Football manager games he was the hidden gem outside the top division as a world class player!
 

Jamie Bates

So did anyone pay for a bit of a batesy love in??

Let’s get to the saucy stuff and forget his football contributions or lack off
 

Jamie Bates

Remember him getting sent off against Mansfield with Colin Lee , both sides down to 9 men and old Rosey went in goal for them . Batesy landed one right in the face of the Mansfield player . Had a great view of it ???
 

Jamie Bates

So did anyone pay for a bit of a batesy love in??

Let’s get to the saucy stuff and forget his football contributions or lack off

Another story :-) .... I worked for a large American Bank, based in Croydon and on Cherry Orchard Road. Jamie’s wife worked in an establishment called ‘Cherries’, just 50 yards down the road from where we worked. I never went there, but I know of others that did.
Remember going into work one Sunday and the news was all over the front page of the News of the World. It was pre season when the news all came out. Jamie must’ve got some stick from his team mates !
 

Jamie Bates

Another story :-) .... I worked for a large American Bank, based in Croydon and on Cherry Orchard Road. Jamie’s wife worked in an establishment called ‘Cherries’, just 50 yards down the road from where we worked. I never went there, but I know of others that did.
Remember going into work one Sunday and the news was all over the front page of the News of the World. It was pre season when the news all came out. Jamie must’ve got some stick from his team mates !

There was an open day at GP the same day that story broke, needless to say Jamie wasn't there.
 

Jamie Bates

We won 1-0 at Stockport August 94 and he gave a masterclass of how to play Kevin Francis.

Knew he wouldn't beat him in the air so forced him to play deeper then picked up every flick on and if into feet , nicked it off him.

oh and splendid weekend in Blackpool after :beer:
 

Jamie Bates

Remember him getting sent off against Mansfield with Colin Lee , both sides down to 9 men and old Rosey went in goal for them . Batesy landed one right in the face of the Mansfield player . Had a great view of it ������

George Foster and Kevin Hitchcock sent off for Mansfied. That was a right old scrap.
 

Jamie Bates

only beaten by Chesterfield v Plymouth when a young Kevin Davies got sent off
 

Jamie Bates

Remember him getting sent off against Mansfield with Colin Lee , both sides down to 9 men and old Rosey went in goal for them . Batesy landed one right in the face of the Mansfield player . Had a great view of it ???

We were 2-1 down at the time, then Bliss got the equaliser and Rosey made a great double save from a Sinton free kick
 

Jamie Bates

He played many games at centre half too and was actually quite good. Went on to Wycombe following Big Tel and played many more games. Never really understood why Big Tel was forced out unless it was a personality or wages thing with Webb. He was plenty good enough for another 2 or 3 seasons.

It was primarily a wages thing with Big Tel. I remember him saying in the chronicle at the time that when he saw his new contract offer through he was expecting Jeremy Beadle to pop out
 

Jamie Bates

Another story :-) .... I worked for a large American Bank, based in Croydon and on Cherry Orchard Road. Jamie’s wife worked in an establishment called ‘Cherries’, just 50 yards down the road from where we worked. I never went there, but I know of others that did.
Remember going into work one Sunday and the news was all over the front page of the News of the World. It was pre season when the news all came out. Jamie must’ve got some stick from his team mates !

Id say a few team mates got stuck in over the years
 

Jamie Bates

Not only was he tasty tasty very very tasty but he was an excellent centre back and a poor right back

Sadly for him and us he played most of his career at right back thanks to the fantastic partnership of Millen and Evans

He played many games at centre half too and was actually quite good. Went on to Wycombe following Big Tel and played many more games. Never really understood why Big Tel was forced out unless it was a personality or wages thing with Webb. He was plenty good enough for another 2 or 3 seasons.

You remind me of my ex wife. Yes I already said that!
 

Jamie Bates

Not only was he tasty tasty very very tasty but he was an excellent centre back and a poor right back

Sadly for him and us he played most of his career at right back thanks to the fantastic partnership of Millen and Evans

Remember him getting sent off against Mansfield with Colin Lee , both sides down to 9 men and old Rosey went in goal for them . Batesy landed one right in the face of the Mansfield player . Had a great view of it ������

I bet not many people remember that the same evening Steve Perryman had been booked to give an after dinner speech at a Referees dinner!
 

Jamie Bates

Gary Brabin allegedly. There was only ever going to be one winner.

Don't think there was any allegedly about it, it was widely reported as being Brabin. Home game vs Blackpool 96-97 I think.

I asked about it during the GP farewell tour and was told that Batesy basically made a meal of it, although I remember it as him being knocked out cold.

Was told during the same conversation that the far bigger tunnel incident was Roget vs Alsop, described as being like a heavyweight bout, and with the latter having to be locked in the dressing room.
 

Jamie Bates

Don't think there was any allegedly about it, it was widely reported as being Brabin. Home game vs Blackpool 96-97 I think.

I asked about it during the GP farewell tour and was told that Batesy basically made a meal of it, although I remember it as him being knocked out cold.

Was told during the same conversation that the far bigger tunnel incident was Roget vs Alsop, described as being like a heavyweight bout, and with the latter having to be locked in the dressing room.

Brabin was hiding on the team coach & if i remember rightly arrested from the coach bog.

What was the Roget Alsop row about hadn’t when ?
 

Jamie Bates

Brabin was hiding on the team coach & if i remember rightly arrested from the coach bog.

What was the Roget Alsop row about hadn’t when ?

Both were sent off during the 2-2 home draw in April 2003 and were basically squaring up all the way down the touchline from the Ealing Road end to the tunnel. Alsop is apparently a former boxer!
 

Jamie Bates

Both were sent off during the 2-2 home draw in April 2003 and were basically squaring up all the way down the touchline from the Ealing Road end to the tunnel. Alsop is apparently a former boxer!

Didn’t he get done for bullying apprentices a few years later? Seem to remember something unsavoury with a ?
 

Jamie Bates

Didn’t he get done for bullying apprentices a few years later? Seem to remember something unsavoury with a ?

Could be worse. Like savoury with a banana. Anything savoury mixed with fruit really grinds my gears. Pizza with ham & pineapple (Hawaiian?) anyone or those Naan breads full of fruit and dripping with syrupy stuff. No thanks. There is this to perhaps point out the folly of mixing and matching.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=can%27t+go+back+to+savoury+no w[/video]
 

Jamie Bates

Both were sent off during the 2-2 home draw in April 2003 and were basically squaring up all the way down the touchline from the Ealing Road end to the tunnel. Alsop is apparently a former boxer!

I remember that, them walking off ans squaring up the whole way, they were almost rushing off to have it.
So it actually did !

I dont remember why they got sent off
 
Back
Top Bottom