Jamie Bates

Brentford St George

Active member
Joined
14 Feb 2005
Messages
4,879
Reaction score
271

Jamie Bates

Looks like our Championship winning full back may have fallen on bad times.Forced to sell his Championship medals and other memorabilia (on page 8)

http://www.sportingoldauctions.co.uk/sale_cat.aspx

Can't see many takers for the Emile Heskey Shirt though lol

Poor bloke.Nabbed in the Screws of The World many years back for allegedly :eek: Selling his wife and now selling his personal football possessions :(
 
Last edited:

Jamie Bates

I believe the 1991 Championship medal in Connor Whipps auction fetched about £1200, so a lot more than £350-£400 estimate here. Not really comparable but be interesting to see how much it actually goes for.

Bates must be skint :sorted:
 

Jamie Bates

I believe the 1991 Championship medal in Connor Whipps auction fetched about £1200, so a lot more than £350-£400 estimate here. Not really comparable but be interesting to see how much it actually goes for.

Bates must be skint :sorted:

I'd think, and hope, that the cause probably inflated the price in Connor's auction.
You're right, not really comparable and yes, will be interesting.
 

Jamie Bates

Suppose we shouldnt be too surprised that someone willing to sell his wife would flog his old Bees stuff.
 

Jamie Bates

Looks like our Championship winning full back may have fallen on bad times.Forced to sell his Championship medals and other memorabilia (on page 8)

http://www.sportingoldauctions.co.uk/sale_cat.aspx

Can't see many takers for the Emile Heskey Shirt though lol

Poor bloke.Nabbed in the Screws of The World many years back for allegedly :eek: Selling his wife and now selling his personal football possessions :(

Think it was the Daily Star Sunday.

Won't lose sleep over it anyway, lost a lot of respect for him when he ignored the Bees fans the first time we played against him after he joined Wycombe.
 

Jamie Bates

Sold the 91/92 medal for £700
Sold the 98/99 medal for £400
 

Jamie Bates

Think it was the Daily Star Sunday.

Won't lose sleep over it anyway, lost a lot of respect for him when he ignored the Bees fans the first time we played against him after he joined Wycombe.

Blimey your harsh. Playing over 500 games for the Bees becomes meaningless because he didnt wave at you
 

Jamie Bates

The Football Club purchased Jamie's medal and shirt. Good.
 

Jamie Bates

Do not be to hard on him seen him several times over the last couple of years driving a van delivering in the chiswick south ealing area always gives me a w**k.
:eek:
 

Jamie Bates

We have just about finished the Big Brentford Book of the 90s and feel that we haven't really done justice to Jamie Bates given where he stands in the overall list of Brentford players in terms of the number of appearances he made for the club.

We are therefore considering a page with a photo montage of his career highlights at the club accompanied by a few words about his time at the club.

If anyone would like to post some positivememories of Jamie Bates (ideally not libellous ) in ideally no more than 50 words then we will use the best of them in the book.

If interested please can you post below as quickly as you can.

Many, many thanks for your help and by posting in this forum you are agreeing that we can use this material in the book.
 

Jamie Bates

Positive discounts the own goal at Notts County.
 

Jamie Bates

I played against him many times and he marked me every single time if someone had told me he would have a pro career I would have laughed my balls off. Great guts and determination to have as long as he did in football, I take my hat off to him.
 

Jamie Bates

Jamie Bates was the son of Terry Evans and Keith Millen. He trod all over Gordon Davies head once and scored from miles out away to Bournemouth in the cup. He came on as a substitute at Peterborough in 1992 and ran around like a madman, winning us promotion to Division/League 2/1/The Championship. He scored a 40-yard own goal at Notts County. A fat northerner attacked him in the tunnel after a game once.

In recent times he appeared at the Royal Oak pub with Alan Cockram and Gary Blissett, and was the drunkest of the three.
 

Jamie Bates

Ok do your worst but remember the laws of libel please

No I wouldn't do that.

If my memory serves me correct I think Jamie was a sub at Peterborough in 1992, and he kept running up and down the touch line, supposedly warming up, but what he was really doing was finding out the scores from the other games.

When he did come on he played up front.
 

Jamie Bates

Jamie was brave, strong and never ever gave anything less than 100%. He will never go down as one of our best centre halfs but he'll definitely be one of our favourites. Unfortunately I'll remember him for missing the pen in the play offs.
 

Jamie Bates

Favourite memory of Batesey was an away game at Wrexham. He scored the winner with a header and I was right in front of him as he prepared to head it in whilst sporting the broadest smile I have ever seen on a football pitch.
 

Jamie Bates

when I WORKED at the club in the mid 90's he sent me down to McDonald's to get his lunch one-day which was two quarter pounders with cheese and large fries
 

Jamie Bates

Jamie gave a master class against perennial thorn in our side Kevin Francis in a 1-0 win up there one August. Let him win the first ball but in non dangerous areas . Read the second ball brilliantly and had him in his pocket. Always stuck in my mind that day especially as Francis murdered us up there a couple of times.
 

Jamie Bates

Batesey was my favourite player as a kid... Strong, physical and played with his heart in his sleave! Not the most naturally gifted CB we've ever had but the perfect attitude and exactly what we have missed at times in recent years.
 

Jamie Bates

I never thought he would make it at GP. He was behind Millen and Evans and when Big Tel was injured in the first game of 92-93 Holder went out and bought Westley rather than trust Jamie. Once he'd got ino the side on a regular basis under Webb he became a solid CB with limited pace but was strong and brave and learned quickly. He was a good captain who seemed to have the respect of the players. Yes he missed a penalty in the play-off semi final but at least he had the balls to take it and it wasn't him who missed the worst-ever open goal by a BFC player in the away leg. I'll always remember him being quoted after the Huddersfield loss as saying that we would win the division by ten clear points the next season! We have had good centre backs at Brentford in my time. Bates was no Gelson, Evans, Millen or McNichol but he was a good and reliable leader who made the best of his abilities and wore the shirt with pride.
 

Jamie Bates

:imwith:
 

Jamie Bates

Talk about Pele, talk about Cruyff, talk about Beckenbauer?
Talk about Batesey that's a different matter, he's best by far...
He's Batesey, Batesey, Jamie Jamie Batesey, he's Jamie Batesey.
 

Jamie Bates

Ps. For a horrible moment I thought...
 

Jamie Bates

I never thought he would make it at GP. He was behind Millen and Evans and when Big Tel was injured in the first game of 92-93 Holder went out and bought Westley rather than trust Jamie. Once he'd got ino the side on a regular basis under Webb he became a solid CB with limited pace but was strong and brave and learned quickly. He was a good captain who seemed to have the respect of the players. Yes he missed a penalty in the
play-off semi final but at least he had the balls to take it and it wasn't him who missed the worst-ever open goal by a BFC player in the away leg. I'll always remember him being
quoted after the Huddersfield loss as saying that we would win the division by ten clear points the next season! We have had good centre backs at Brentford in my time. Bates was no
Gelson, Evans, Millen or McNichol but he was a good and reliable leader who made the best of his abilities and wore the shirt with pride.

Top post Wise Old Bee
 

Jamie Bates

I never thought he would make it at GP. He was behind Millen and Evans and when Big Tel was injured in the first game of 92-93 Holder went out and bought Westley rather than trust Jamie. Once he'd got ino the side on a regular basis under Webb he became a solid CB with limited pace but was strong and brave and learned quickly. He was a good captain who seemed to have the respect of the players. Yes he missed a penalty in the play-off semi final but at least he had the balls to take it and it wasn't him who missed the worst-ever open goal by a BFC player in the away leg. I'll always remember him being quoted after the Huddersfield loss as saying that we would win the division by ten clear points the next season! We have had good centre backs at Brentford in my time. Bates was no Gelson, Evans, Millen or McNichol but he was a good and reliable leader who made the best of his abilities and wore the shirt with pride.

Thank you. Very evocative and I have suggested to,Dave that we include this if you don't mind?
 

Jamie Bates

Surprised not to see more of him as part of the farewell to Griffin Park celebrations. Was a huge part of mine and many others’ memories of griffin park in the 1990s as club captain.

Notwithstanding the tabloid stuff, I wonder whether chose not to get involved or that the club couldn’t get hold of him. When you see the footage of Big Tel and Benstead etc and having seen them at the ground, JB does seem conspicuous by his absence.

Anyway, hope whatever he’s doing he’s well. Have a lot of fond memories of his role in some good teams during that time.
 

Jamie Bates

Surprised not to see more of him as part of the farewell to Griffin Park celebrations. Was a huge part of mine and many others’ memories of griffin park in the 1990s as club captain.

Notwithstanding the tabloid stuff, I wonder whether chose not to get involved or that the club couldn’t get hold of him. When you see the footage of Big Tel and Benstead etc and having seen them at the ground, JB does seem conspicuous by his absence.

Anyway, hope whatever he’s doing he’s well. Have a lot of fond memories of his role in some good teams during that time.

And a cracking own goal away at notts county one Easter
 

Jamie Bates

And a cracking own goal away at notts county one Easter

didn't he score from near the half way line at Bournemouth one Boxing Day or was that someone else? (poor memory and it feels like a long time ago)
 

Jamie Bates

didn't he score from near the half way line at Bournemouth one Boxing Day or was that someone else? (poor memory and it feels like a long time ago)

He did. Sadly it woke Bournemouth up and we conceded twice to lose 1-2.
 

Jamie Bates

sure it mansfield the own goal? and a screamer in the right end at shrewsbury? i dunno
 

Jamie Bates

Surprised not to see more of him as part of the farewell to Griffin Park celebrations. Was a huge part of mine and many others’ memories of griffin park in the 1990s as club captain.

Notwithstanding the tabloid stuff, I wonder whether chose not to get involved or that the club couldn’t get hold of him. When you see the footage of Big Tel and Benstead etc and having seen them at the ground, JB does seem conspicuous by his absence.

Anyway, hope whatever he’s doing he’s well. Have a lot of fond memories of his role in some good teams during that time.

I lost a lot of respect for him when he completely blanked the Bees fans the first time he played against us after leaving.
 

Jamie Bates

I lost a lot of respect for him when he completely blanked the Bees fans the first time he played against us after leaving.

This was mentioned elsewhere by you on this thread. The bloke played over 500 games for Brentford. Anyone that does that deserves respect, despite a blip like this.
 

Jamie Bates

Sorry, but I think he's the most overrated Brentford player. I never understood th adoration and when I saw fans' player of the season step up to take that pathetic penalty against Hudders I knew he was going to mess it up. I'm ashamed to say I...er....entered onto the arena to have a chat with him, but ended up bumping into Mr Statham instead. I can't believe the money his items have gone for on the auction. I never usually slag players off, but him.............!!!
 

Jamie Bates

Sorry, but I think he's the most overrated Brentford player. I never understood th adoration and when I saw fans' player of the season step up to take that pathetic penalty against Hudders I knew he was going to mess it up. I'm ashamed to say I...er....entered onto the arena to have a chat with him, but ended up bumping into Mr Statham instead. I can't believe the money his items have gone for on the auction. I never usually slag players off, but him.............!!!

Nah , not having it . Andy Feely is in line for that crown , total dog sh*t
 

Jamie Bates

Batesy is keeping well and said he was "gutted for everyone involved with the Bees" last season and that he is planning on coming down the Bees once things get going again.

Me and Mr Logan saw Batesy make his debut up at Carlisle on a Tuesday night. 0-0. Good defending.
 

Jamie Bates

Batesy is keeping well and said he was "gutted for everyone involved with the Bees" last season and that he is planning on coming down the Bees once things get going again.

Me and Mr Logan saw Batesy make his debut up at Carlisle on a Tuesday night. 0-0. Good defending.

Didn't he come on up front at the Peterborough promotion game as all the forwards were injured in the last 20 minutes? That's what my aged memory is telling me.
 
Back
Top Bottom