Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Is it Kurt Russell with dyed hair?
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

I reckon he's earned his big bonus and sees no point in staying somewhere he's not really wanted. He was the Red Adair they needed but he's better off oop North and reckon a return to Sunderland is made for him.

I read that if he takes another managerial job in the next 2 years Palace will be due a big chunk of compensation.
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

I would have thought that the new Leeds owner would have done almost anything to keep Monk. Wonder what he did not get.
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

I read that if he takes another managerial job in the next 2 years Palace will be due a big chunk of compensation.

£2m from any club which takes him on. But I presume that drops over the next two years.
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Fulham?
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Particularly when he leaves the club.
Bit like when the Derby manager resigned, it was "Cox Out!" or when Alan Dicks got the sack from Fulham, well, you can guess....

Meanwhile, when the Pompey manager finally got them promoted after a couple of near misses, it was "Ball's Up!".
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Bit like when the Derby manager resigned, it was "Cox Out!" or when Alan Dicks got the sack from Fulham, well, you can guess....

Meanwhile, when the Pompey manager finally got them promoted after a couple of near misses, it was "Ball's Up!".

Seem to remember shouting that at Craven Cottage
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Sunderland: Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes a candidate to succeed David Moyes.. lol
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Marco Silva has resigned as Hull City manager after the club's relegation..
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Isn't it great that, from a management and recruitment point of view, Brentford FC is strong and stable?
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Isn't it great that, from a management and recruitment point of view, Brentford FC is strong and stable?
Dean Smith to Leeds??.......??.......
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

[Marco Silva in] talks with <insert club name here> apparently.
Might be next Palace manager, according to the Standard? Alternatively, it might be Jovanovic, who is also "in the frame":
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/marco-silva-a-leading-candidate-to-become-crystal-palace-s-next-manager-with-fulham-boss-slavisa-a3548746.html

Meanwhile, I daresay they have their reasons, but I'm not sure how/why Hull fans seemed so enamoured of Silva. He got 18 points out of 60 = 30.0%, whereas Hull had gained 16 points from 54 before he arrived = 29.6%.
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

He'll make them the most boring defensive team in that division but they'll probably end up in the top 6.

Ideal fit for them with his style of play. Just think Middlesbrough in that first leg PO game at GP. Horrible to watch but effective. Bit like the old Leeds teams.
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Meanwhile, I daresay they have their reasons, but I'm not sure how/why Hull fans seemed so enamoured of Silva. He got 18 points out of 60 = 30.0%, whereas Hull had gained 16 points from 54 before he arrived = 29.6%.

maybe... they... played... better?

shot in the dark, i know, but....
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

maybe... they... played... better?

shot in the dark, i know, but....

Also doesn't account for who they played? How many were at home? How many injuries they had? Whether the teams they were playing were in form.
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

maybe... they... played... better?

shot in the dark, i know, but....

Other than the last two games where they seemed to surrender, I thought lots of outsiders (aka pundits) felt that they were more organised and harder to beat than they had been previously
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

maybe... they... played... better?

shot in the dark, i know, but....
Very possible.

But whether they would play "better" or "worse", I assumed they expected an improvement in their points tally.

As I said in #1385, Hull's points per game was unchanged after Silva took over (30.0% versus 29.6%).

Compare that with:
Paul Clement - 29 points from 57 = 50.9%, versus 12 from 57 before him = 21.1%
Sam Allardyce - 28 from 66 = 42.4%, vs 13 from 48 before him = 27.1%
Craig Shakespeare - 23 from 39 = 59.0%, vs 21 from 75 before him = 28.0%

As I said, I'm sure Hull fans have their reasons which are unknown to an outsider like me, but I just think it curious that Silva is so "lionised" as a manager despite, not because of, what he achieved at Hull.
 
Last edited:

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Also doesn't account for who they played? How many were at home? How many injuries they had? Whether the teams they were playing were in form.
Surely the same applies to Swansea, Palace and Leicester, all of whom managed to pull out of their dive towards the bottom following a change of manager around the same stage of the season?

Edit: Haven't checked the others, but Hull had 10 homes and 10 aways under Silva.
 
Last edited:

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

it just goes to show, there's only so much statistics can tell you :)
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Data is one thing, Insight a completely different thing. To someone like me, figures without context or why behind them is pointless.

indeed - they give you a clue for what to look for when rewatching a game. no sensible analyst would advocate 100% one way or t'other. to take Silva's "stats" (or one limited stat) as some sort of proof that he's not a good manager is.... well, you know our friend by now :)
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

indeed - they give you a clue for what to look for when rewatching a game. no sensible analyst would advocate 100% one way or t'other. to take Silva's "stats" (or one limited stat) as some sort of proof that he's not a good manager is.... well, you know our friend by now :)

:sorted:
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Very possible.

But whether they would play "better" or "worse", I assumed they expected an improvement in their points tally.

As I said in #1385, Hull's points per game was unchanged after Silva took over (30.0% versus 29.6%).

Compare that with:
Paul Clement - 29 points from 57 = 50.9%, versus 12 from 57 before him = 21.1%
Sam Allardyce - 28 from 66 = 42.4%, vs 13 from 48 before him = 27.1%
Craig Shakespeare - 23 from 39 = 59.0%, vs 21 from 75 before him = 28.0%

As I said, I'm sure Hull fans have their reasons which are unknown to an outsider like me, but I just think it curious that Silva is so "lionised" as a manager despite, not because of, what he achieved at Hull.

Just looked it up, Hull had 12 points after 18 games, so if that's when Silva was hired he actually 22 points in the next 20. A decent upturn I would say without spending much money.
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

Surely the same applies to Swansea, Palace and Leicester, all of whom managed to pull out of their dive towards the bottom following a change of manager around the same stage of the season?

Edit: Haven't checked the others, but Hull had 10 homes and 10 aways under Silva.

I seem to remember that Sam had to wait 6 or 7 games for his 1st win with Palace. (Took that long for the "magic" to seep through, ie drills & organisation, organisation & drills....)

Served him well throughout his career, & whatever else happened to sour it, it was built on diligence & hard work.
 

Managerial Thread 2016 / 2017

to take Silva's "stats" (or one limited stat) as some sort of proof that he's not a good manager is...
I didn't say Silva "wasn't a good manager", rather I wondered why Hull fans, and the media generally, seem so keen on the guy.

The reason I asked was because he was one of four managers at seriously struggling clubs brought in roughly at the same stage in the season in order to get them out of trouble.

The other three all achieved a clear upturn in results (i.e. points), and saw their team survive.

Silva produced no such upturn in results, and Hull were relegated.

Considering he's just walked into another Premier Lge job, and at a club which is also struggling etc, I thought this curious and wondered whether someone on this forum had a more educated explanation.

It seems not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom