Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

It's very difficult to argue with this. However, it isnt as simple as that. So many factors e.g. injuries etc.

I think Flekken will come good.

I stand by my opinion that the players we have purchased are not improving the squad right now. But then we finished 9th last season.

I'm an emotional mess ? ?
I hope Flekken will come good he just looked nervous from crosses hides in his goal and looks reluctant to come and catch the ball whats that about
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Personally l don't get the criticism of Flekken. IMO he's a quality keeper. The comments about him not dominating his box vs Everton don't acknowledge the blocking job that Everton deployed. It's almost impossible to push through a wall of bodies when trying to track the trajectory of a corner. The blockers aren't a row of skittles. Our defenders should have pushed them back.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Personally l don't get the criticism of Flekken. IMO he's a quality keeper. The comments about him not dominating his box vs Everton don't acknowledge the blocking job that Everton deployed. It's almost impossible to push through a wall of bodies when trying to track the trajectory of a corner. The blockers aren't a row of skittles. Our defenders should have pushed them back.

I hope you are right ?

Some poor decision making that we have been punished for, Alvaro like at corners and weak as p*** in the air ?

I like his shot stopping and distribution though ✅
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Personally l don't get the criticism of Flekken. IMO he's a quality keeper. The comments about him not dominating his box vs Everton don't acknowledge the blocking job that Everton deployed. It's almost impossible to push through a wall of bodies when trying to track the trajectory of a corner. The blockers aren't a row of skittles. Our defenders should have pushed them back.
He MIGHT be a quality keeper and I hope he is BUT at the moment he looks far from quality…he worries me everytime a cross comes in?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

There were others more culpable then Flekken yesterday but it wasn't an assured performance from him for sure.
Needs to find a different level of assurance in the PL. However the defence in front of him was very poor yesterday.

Is that because they dont trust what's behind them. He doesn't know what he's doing so they haven't a clue.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Is that because they dont trust what's behind them. He doesn't know what he's doing so they haven't a clue.
Brentfords 14 million pound keeper (oh and Hollands national team keeper) "doesnt know what he is doing".
We should have bought Onana, much better option.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Something is not quite adding up with Flekken. I think he got most clean sheets in the Bundesliga last season (might be wrong on this) and is a Dutch International, but from what I've seen looks too passive and doesn't command his area.

Might just be teething problems, and getting an understanding with the defence. Teams at this level are going to ruthlessly exploit any weaknesses from crosses (Dyche and Everton for example). I remember De Gea had similar problems to start with in Premier League and then improved. Hope Flekken can become more assured as the season progresses.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Something is not quite adding up with Flekken. I think he got most clean sheets in the Bundesliga last season (might be wrong on this) and is a Dutch International, but from what I've seen looks too passive and doesn't command his area.

Might just be teething problems, and getting an understanding with the defence. Teams at this level are going to ruthlessly exploit any weaknesses from crosses (Dyche and Everton for example). I remember De Gea had similar problems to start with in Premier League and then improved. Hope Flekken can become more assured as the season progresses.
And Raya was also awful too at the start. People just need to give him time before writing off a player.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Something is not quite adding up with Flekken. I think he got most clean sheets in the Bundesliga last season (might be wrong on this) and is a Dutch International, but from what I've seen looks too passive and doesn't command his area.

Might just be teething problems, and getting an understanding with the defence. Teams at this level are going to ruthlessly exploit any weaknesses from crosses (Dyche and Everton for example). I remember De Gea had similar problems to start with in Premier League and then improved. Hope Flekken can become more assured as the season progresses.
And if he was a top international goalkeeper why would he only have a 12million euro release clause maybe keepers from overseas dont come of there line for crosses.But big worry now as other teams just will put all corners into our 6yd box to exploit his weaknesses.And as a keeper into his 30's cant see him improving much.
maybe we need someone closer to home he is used to english game who is brave and fearless and wont hide inside his goalScreenshot 2023-09-25 22.01.16.png
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Personally l don't get the criticism of Flekken. IMO he's a quality keeper. The comments about him not dominating his box vs Everton don't acknowledge the blocking job that Everton deployed. It's almost impossible to push through a wall of bodies when trying to track the trajectory of a corner. The blockers aren't a row of skittles. Our defenders should have pushed them back.
Everton are good at set pieces. They’ll score goals like that against better teams than us.

You want us to be stronger there for sure, but also accept that is where they’re capable of hurting anyone.

It is the other goals / big chances we conceded that were much more concerning to me.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

De Gea is as bad as it gets in the air, and he’s also horrific with the ball at his feet. I’m far from convinced by Flekken, but there’s a reason De Gea is still a free agent.
high wages being the main reason.

great shot stopper.

Flappy Flekken doesn't inspire confidence thus far.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Too much negativity about this fella IMHO. A few edgy moments maybe but seems to be taking the flack for the teams defensive frailties at times.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Too much negativity about this fella IMHO. A few edgy moments maybe but seems to be taking the flack for the teams defensive frailties at times.
That is because he doesn’t inspire confidence doesn’t have a presence and looks nervous from every cross, I hope he can sort things as at the start he looked good.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

That is because he doesn’t inspire confidence doesn’t have a presence and looks nervous from every cross, I hope he can sort things as at the start he looked good.
Maybe it could be a case of the defence not inspiring confidence in front of him?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I really think Flekken is fine. He will be good for us.
I'm afraid it has already been decided that he's not. Always takes a long time to come back when that happens.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

There were others more culpable then Flekken yesterday but it wasn't an assured performance from him for sure.
Needs to find a different level of assurance in the PL. However the defence in front of him was very poor yesterday.
As I said earlier.

Flekken is lacking confidence, the defence in front of him haven't confidence in him, which leads to mistakes and then you have all kinds of problems.

Didn't Flekken keep the most clean sheets in the Bundasliga last season?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

And if he was a top international goalkeeper why would he only have a 12million euro release clause maybe keepers from overseas dont come of there line for crosses.But big worry now as other teams just will put all corners into our 6yd box to exploit his weaknesses.And as a keeper into his 30's cant see him improving much.
maybe we need someone closer to home he is used to english game who is brave and fearless and wont hide inside his goalView attachment 42269
Pretty cheap shot with the still to be honest.

The Jug Ears goals was poor all round from the defending viewpoint. Flekkens positioning wasn't great but we saw a few of these in Raya's tenure in goal as well so I'm not overly concerned that he's going to be rooted to his line as our opponents launch cross after cross into our area. As communication grows with a settled defence I believe we'll see a very competent PL keeper.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

And Raya was also awful too at the start. People just need to give him time before writing off a player.
Conceded five at GP when he was in goal for Blackburn.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Before you write off Flekken, don't forget, yes Mee is injured but the standout aspect of our game which makes us 'difficult to beat' is our tight-knit defending.

I actually thought Everton could easily have had more. Communication still needs to be ironed out. Appears to be moments Flekken doesn't know what the defenders are gonna do and vice versa, but that's a joint problem.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Everton was the first game that I’ve missed but seen the goals. What I would say is this, he has been poor, he rightly got praise for the double save against Palace but ask any keeper and they will tell you that he should have made them.
We can analyse every goal he concedes and it’s easy to find fault or we can blindly back him and blame the defence. I’m sure the truth is somewhere in between but from what I’ve seen, he hasn’t dominated his box and the back four look nervous. He also hasn’t made the saves that you could describe as ones he might not be expected to get. Raya would frequently pull off top class saves and keep us in games. Flekken isn’t doing that, combine that with not dominating your box and the back line being nervous doesn’t bode well. I also don’t like the comparison with Raya when he first signed, Raya was young and bought to develop. Flekken was signed as a ready made replacement. He’s got to be given games to improve but if by Jan it’s still the same, I expect the club to be looking elsewhere.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Plenty of Arsenal fans not impressed with Raya on Sunday despite that great save felt he should have done better with the first goal and flapped at the cross ! Sounds familiar?
I think Flekken will be OK although I suspect he’s in for a busy time over the next few weeks with a defence that is far from first choice and will keep changing and of course a team that is suffering an injury crisis.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Back when I played, if you had no confidence in your keeper, you kept the ball as far away from him as possible, and made sure that you busted a gut to protect him in the area. You didn’t wait for him to come and collect, you dealt with it. I’m seeing none of that with Flekken. Miscommunication, possibly, poor judgment on occasions, yes, but I definitely don’t see any lack of confidence in him from the defence.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I wouldn't say he has a good game but more what I would expect from a PL goal keeper at the price we paid. This is not a negative comment by any means just what I expect of him going forward. I do say some of the previous comments about him have been embarrassing .....
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He MIGHT be a quality keeper and I hope he is BUT at the moment he looks far from quality…he worries me everytime a cross comes in?
I think he is a fine goal keeper but as it was drummed into to me in my playing days keepers who punch the ball are panicking I always have fears with keepers that punch the ball out. I appreciate that footballs are much lighter now and I see the top goalies in the world sometimes choosing to opt to punch.
I think I have the issue and it’s when I think he should catch the ball, obviously the best option , and then it’s punched out. Hopefully I will get used to which balls to expect him to punch .
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I'm off the fence now, he's proper dodgy on multiple fronts. I hope Frank and Co can sort him out ASAP.
We will continue to struggle and it's going to be a long season with Mr Flekken as our no 1. It's not a question of showing support by not being critical. He just is not good enough for PL football. I wish it were different....
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He as a big responsibility on Forest goal and he does not inspire confidence on the high balls......
I hope he will getting better but he is already 30 years old looks like a finish product to me...
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I'm off the fence now, he's proper dodgy on multiple fronts. I hope Frank and Co can sort him out ASAP.
I'm not convinced a 30 year old keeper can simply be trained to be better at dealing with crosses / high balls. Unfortunately!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom