Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I don't get this comparing Raya mistakes.... making out like he was dodgy and not that trustworthy or something
people moaning about Mark , David made a few howlers and then went on to be one of the best keepers in the Premiership .Mark will be fine ,it takes a bit of time
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Unfortunately when a really good player leaves,the new one is always compared to the one he replaced and when that player is as good as Raya was it's going to be a tough gig.My only concern is that his decision making seems to be a bit lacking at the moment.

It did look like he thought it was going over and pulled his hand away and if anything is 50/50 you have to attempt to save it because giving away a corner is more desirable than a goal.The same is true of defenders,if there's a doubt then row Z is the best option and regroup.

I hope it's a case of settling in and he'll become more confident as time goes by.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Unfortunately when a really good player leaves,the new one is always compared to the one he replaced and when that player is as good as Raya was it's going to be a tough gig.My only concern is that his decision making seems to be a bit lacking at the moment.

It did look like he thought it was going over and pulled his hand away and if anything is 50/50 you have to attempt to save it because giving away a corner is more desirable than a goal.The same is true of defenders,if there's a doubt then row Z is the best option and regroup.

I hope it's a case of settling in and he'll become more confident as time goes by.
If we’d bought say a left back to replace Rico ( God forbid!) and his performances over 7 games had been as poor as Flekken then I am sure he would have been dropped.
The only reason why this hasn’t happened is that the replacement is probably going to be worse.
It’s incomprehensible how he was so highly rated in Germany.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Who’s up for going down to Jersey Road tomorrow to help motivate Flekken, pitch forks in hand? ?
I’m going to Jersey road tomorrow.
Going to Osterley Park and House
National Trust, never been before.
Any good? ?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

If we’d bought say a left back to replace Rico ( God forbid!) and his performances over 7 games had been as poor as Flekken then I am sure he would have been dropped.
The only reason why this hasn’t happened is that the replacement is probably going to be worse.
It’s incomprehensible how he was so highly rated in Germany.
Yep there tends to be more options with outfield players but you rarely get two evenly matched keepers at a club,Arsenal being a recent exception so you have to go with what you have.
I doubt he's sitting there thinking he's made the best start with us,we just have to hope it's a teething problem that with settle down over time or i'm sure the club will be proactive.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

If we’d bought say a left back to replace Rico ( God forbid!) and his performances over 7 games had been as poor as Flekken then I am sure he would have been dropped.
The only reason why this hasn’t happened is that the replacement is probably going to be worse.
It’s incomprehensible how he was so highly rated in Germany.
He’s just played the last two internationals for Netherlands too, although Strakosha also played for Albania.
Just out of interest in these same 7 games against same opposition how many goals did we concede last season with settled defence?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Now if I was a Forest fan, I'd be a little worried about our number 1 but thank god I'm not.
Turner is arguably not their number 1. Or at least won't be for much longer as they have recently signed a Greek keeper from Benfica. He's the same age as Flekken and cost a very similar amount but doesn't come with anything like as good a reputation. In fact I think Benfica fans were glad to see the back of him, which maybe suggests that in the long run we've still got the better deal.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I thought it was very unlucky. The forward got the header just right for the position Mark was at. I would question the forwards free header more than Mark's positioning though.

Lol, the ball has gone straight down the middle of the goal. Nobody else fault with this goal. His positioning has been poor since if first started in the US. Can't agree with your statement on the defending. The back four were all very good yesterday.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Lol, the ball has gone straight down the middle of the goal. Nobody else fault with this goal. His positioning has been poor since if first started in the US. Can't agree with your statement on the defending. The back four were all very good yesterday.
The defence was solid throughout …
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Probably because his overall performance over the season was high when compared with the others.
Flekken is a top quality goal keeper, the difference is that he is not world class. Other than Arsenal few Premier League Clubs have a world class keeper. We have to accept this fact. My memory of watching Brentford goes as far back as 1952 ( Jefferies) and in all that time I have never seem a better GK that David Raya and that includes a Polish young man.
I have watched the NF goal on Sunday several times and I will not be convinced that MF made an error. I am afraid that every goal he concedes will be deemed a mistake by the usual suspects.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Flekken is a top quality goal keeper, the difference is that he is not world class. Other than Arsenal few Premier League Clubs have a world class keeper. We have to accept this fact. My memory of watching Brentford goes as far back as 1952 ( Jefferies) and in all that time I have never seem a better GK that David Raya and that includes a Polish young man.
I have watched the NF goal on Sunday several times and I will not be convinced that MF made an error. I am afraid that every goal he concedes will be deemed a mistake by the usual suspects.

I agree with the Raya being the best, but I can't see how your not blaming him for the goal yesterday. It's not the first time his footwork has been questioned. If they can sort that out and make him more commanding in his box then maybe we will have a decent keeper.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Flekken is a top quality goal keeper, the difference is that he is not world class. Other than Arsenal few Premier League Clubs have a world class keeper. We have to accept this fact. My memory of watching Brentford goes as far back as 1952 ( Jefferies) and in all that time I have never seem a better GK that David Raya and that includes a Polish young man.
I have watched the NF goal on Sunday several times and I will not be convinced that MF made an error. I am afraid that every goal he concedes will be deemed a mistake by the usual suspects.
Oh come on, yesterday's goal was a clear blunder by Flekken - poor positioning and obvious misjudgment of the flight of the ball. He is consistently showing himself to be poor aerially and lacking command and domination of the box from set pieces and in open play. You do not have to be a 'world class keeper' to be competent and consistent in such crucial areas of the game.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Flekken is a top quality goal keeper, the difference is that he is not world class. Other than Arsenal few Premier League Clubs have a world class keeper. We have to accept this fact. My memory of watching Brentford goes as far back as 1952 ( Jefferies) and in all that time I have never seem a better GK that David Raya and that includes a Polish young man.
I have watched the NF goal on Sunday several times and I will not be convinced that MF made an error. I am afraid that every goal he concedes will be deemed a mistake by the usual suspects.
R u joking flekken being a good keeper? He's terrible and cost us several points this season before yesterday. ? his fault that goal yesterday without naming him the manager said we had conceded some strange goals this season including today. Norgaard also said it wasn't good enough yesterday in the first post match interview referring to the goal we conceded, the rest of the defence played well.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

R u joking flekken being a good keeper? He's terrible and cost us several points this season before yesterday. ? his fault that goal yesterday without naming him the manager said we had conceded some strange goals this season including today. Norgaard also said it wasn't good enough yesterday in the first post match interview referring to the goal we conceded, the rest of the defence played well.
Cost us several points? ? The biggest mistake he has made this season, is in the game we won
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

When they review the goal, I'm sure the defence and coaching staff will be disappointed that there was no challenge before the cross came into the box and that he was allowed a free header before the ball even reached Flekken.
Even so we defended well all game watching it again Flekken misjudged the flight of the ball he was free yes but Flekken has to save it or even attempt to …
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Lol, the ball has gone straight down the middle of the goal. Nobody else fault with this goal. His positioning has been poor since if first started in the US.
The pre-season games have had a bad effect in my opinion, affecting MF’s confidence and putting doubts in the minds of quite a few fans.

Quite a good argument against the old cliché that pre-season games don’t matter.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He’s just played the last two internationals for Netherlands too, although Strakosha also played for Albania.
Just out of interest in these same 7 games against same opposition how many goals did we concede last season with settled defence?
Good question! It was actually 14 goals conceded in the exact same fixtures last season with, as you say a settled defence and David Raya in goal. That's 4 more than this season. Some people on here spout some absolute sh*t it's got to be said. Support your f***ing team you mugs!
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He’s just played the last two internationals for Netherlands too, although Strakosha also played for Albania.
Just out of interest in these same 7 games against same opposition how many goals did we concede last season with settled defence?
14 last season v 10 this, hmm....sadly doesn't fit the narrative
 
Last edited:

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He cost us 2 Vs palace, a likely point v Everton and 2 on Sunday and you could argue he also cost us at Newcastle.
Palace was a freak goal and Collins somewhat at fault.
We deserved to lose against Everton, his punch for the 1st goal perhaps but as a team we need to defend better.
Newcastle, a lot of variables to unpick there to be honest.
All in all, unfair to scapegoat him for us being unlucky/poor in my opinion. He will improve for us, I have faith in that.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He cost us 2 Vs palace, a likely point v Everton and 2 on Sunday and you could argue he also cost us at Newcastle.

Everton?

Palace also Collins, Newcastle also Hickey. Sunday certainly also our attacking prowess! Tough gig
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He cost us 2 Vs palace, a likely point v Everton and 2 on Sunday and you could argue he also cost us at Newcastle.
Agree and seems to be a case of poor decision making every time.Don’t think his ability is being questioned.
Hopefully this will change when our defence is more settled and he builds up a better understanding.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

It has been a tricky start for Flekken... he's also been unlucky, and let's face it he's also been scapegoated somewhat for defensive lapses from all players. Granted, his stats aren't great from the first 7 games and it's getting increasingly hard to defend him against the tide of negativity. But I do think that he just needs a good run to get that confidence growing.

You've got to remember, Thomas Frank was also shocking for his first 10 games before he started showing his true value. Thomas sees them all in training everyday. We were well aware of his stats and attributes while playing at Freiberg. Provided Mark's attitude is right, Thomas will back him, and as supporters we need to do the same.

He really has been chucked in the deep end, but he will come good. There is a good player in there.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Some people on here spout some absolute sh*t it's got to be said. Support your f***ing team you mugs!
#WeAreAllBirdy67Today

Compare and contrast the names of those wanting Flekken’s head on a pike with those who wanted Jensen’s head on a pike a season or so ago.

Sad. Just sad to see how much glee some ‘fans’ get in slagging off one of our own players.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

#WeAreAllBirdy67Today

Compare and contrast the names of those wanting Flekken’s head on a pike with those who wanted Jensen’s head on a pike a season or so ago.

Sad. Just sad to see how much glee some ‘fans’ get in slagging off one of our own players.
Was that when MJ was poor too?
I want every player to be good and heralded, it’s early but anyone saying they aren’t a bit worried about MF then imo they’re kidding themselves.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Was that when MJ was poor too?
I want every player to be good and heralded, it’s early but anyone saying they aren’t a bit worried about MF then imo they’re kidding themselves.
Im not worried about his ability, Im worried about the time it will take to settle him him and for him to gain confidence. This league is unforgiving.

Raya cut his teeth in the lower leagues and had as many fuk ups IMO.

I hope it just needs time. Chopping and changing the defense every game wont help.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

#WeAreAllBirdy67Today

Compare and contrast the names of those wanting Flekken’s head on a pike with those who wanted Jensen’s head on a pike a season or so ago.

Sad. Just sad to see how much glee some ‘fans’ get in slagging off one of our own players.
It's astonishing that they always need a scapegoat. It's like they're not happy unless they have something to moan about. Weird and very miserable people. How do they get through life? It must be a very sad existence to never look at things from a positive perspective. Although to give them the benefit of the doubt, I would hope that in the main it's kneejerk reactions rather than what they truly believe, as the stats don't lie and last years results were worse than this year using the same match sample. Perhaps that doesn't fit the glass half empty brigades narrative but if they are true to themselves they know this.

Come on guys, look at the facts not other peoples horribly negative (and incorrect) opinions.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I could understand this constant criticism of Flekken if the rest of the team, particularly the defenders, were playing blinders week in, week out but all have been poor at times and some of them have been dreadful. He knows what he has to do. Give it a rest for a while.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Was that when MJ was poor too?
I want every player to be good and heralded, it’s early but anyone saying they aren’t a bit worried about MF then imo they’re kidding themselves.
Mate, there's a difference between saying they are a bit worried and those saying he’s useless ?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

His positioning was poor.

His positioning has been poor in most of the matches he has played. In the US pre season matches and in two home games since
he has totally failed to cover his near post and ended up conceeding poor goals. If Strakoska can't get a game now, he never will !
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

This thread is getting more like Facebook and Twitter every day. I expected a touch more reason and rationality but, in respect of MF, it's sadly not to be.
It’s been said before it’s all about opinions. It’s a discussion forum and presumably that’s the point .
Personally I don’t see that, for example, my views are going to be in any way detrimental to Flekken’s confidence or that in the extremely unlikely event that he read them he would consider that I was n any way qualified to judge him.
Neither do I think that it’s being disloyal to the club to criticise his performances to date. I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that to a young player like KLP say but frankly a 30 year old six and a half foot keeper who probably earning more in a week than many make in a year shouldn’t be beyond criticism. As I said it’s all about opinions and we should be able to have a sensible discussion without having our support questioned.
I await the next deluge of ?s from the RTB.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

It's astonishing that they always need a scapegoat. It's like they're not happy unless they have something to moan about. Weird and very miserable people. How do they get through life? It must be a very sad existence to never look at things from a positive perspective. Although to give them the benefit of the doubt, I would hope that in the main it's kneejerk reactions rather than what they truly believe, as the stats don't lie and last years results were worse than this year using the same match sample. Perhaps that doesn't fit the glass half empty brigades narrative but if they are true to themselves they know this.

Come on guys, look at the facts not other peoples horribly negative (and incorrect) opinions.
No doubt the same people who said that Raya was no good when he arrived. That is if they were even attending matches then!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom