MotD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotD

Look closer at the link in my closing acknowledgement - you'll find that it was Tommy Cooper:


Ah yes. My failing eyesight. Tommy Cooper indeed.
 

MotD

I am sure when Gary Lineker did his intro for our game he referred to us as “Watford’s Thomas Frank”. Maybe my hearing is on the way out.....
 

MotD

I rewound that a couple of times when he said it, he just transitioned sentences really badly. He meant '...Wolves beat Watford, while Thomas Franks' Bees....' but just messed up how he said it really.
 

MotD

I expect it'll be all about what Liverpool done wrong and how well they played, with an 'Oh, Brentford were there as well' mention at the end.

Hope I'm wrong after such a great game.
 

MotD

I'm pacing up and down the living room like an expectant father.
Don't think I've ever looked forward to MotD as much as this before.
? :hat: ?
 

MotD

Pleased to say I was wrong, as I hoped to be, Commentators and Studio were quite complimentary apart from Canyos, did we ever decide how to pronounce his name? I just shout ‘Sergi’ most of the time.
 

MotD

Could have sworn Micah Richards was digging out our methods (set piece coaches etc) on a podcast, unless I’m confusing clueless pundits. Then when doing MOTD analysis on his ex club Villa last night: ‘see that’s why they’ve brought in Austin McPhee, set piece coach’ says it with his chest like look how clever they are for doing it and I am for noticing ?
 

MotD

Could have sworn Micah Richards was digging out our methods (set piece coaches etc) on a podcast, unless I’m confusing clueless pundits. Then when doing MOTD analysis on his ex club Villa last night: ‘see that’s why they’ve brought in Austin McPhee, set piece coach’ says it with his chest like look how clever they are for doing it and I am for noticing ?
Not very often you'll see Micah Richards and 'clever' in the same paragraph.
 

MotD

You see what you expect to see. I saw BBC pundits who were very complimentary about our game plan and how we executed it, and commentators who praised us. I was quite happy with what they said.
Yes, they put us first, showed how brilliantly we executed our game plan and credited us for the result and performance. Of course the big news is going to be from the Liverpool perspective, they’re a massive club, title contenders again. All we can do is to carry on. If we do, at the current rate we’re on target to have a chance of getting something from the 3 other top 6 teams we’re about to face and more plaudits. Keep it going and who knows, they might start quietly asking if we might get into Europe! At the very least even if we have a bad run they’re not going to rush to say we’re going down.
 

MotD

Hey, Ivan’s trying to win the league. I was tempted to picture Lineker signing off GW 30’s show by asking “could they? Remember Leicester! Never say never!”

Obviously I’m not greedy and 17th would ultimately do as we’ve already had two of the best games ever but imagine how much that would boil the piss of our friends at Forest. It’d absolutely eclipse Clough’s league title in a much more unequal environment while Cooper prepares for L1!
 

MotD

Getting ready to watch MOTD this morning transported me back to February 1979, as a 12 year old me eagerly awaited watching The Big Match highlights of the game I'd seen at Griffin Park the day before - Brentford 3-3 Watford.
Admittedly Luther Blissett and Ross Jenkins weren't quite at the standard of Salah and Mané.......(not sure about McCulloch and Phillips v Ivan and Bryan either!!!) But this game has stuck with me throughout my supporting years, for a number of reasons (not least the conductor on the 65 bus manfully repelling an attack by Watford fans!!), and was probably the one that lead to the following 40+ years of undying love.

The pre-match rendition of Hey Jude wasn't bad either!!!!

 

MotD

4 excellent games today!! ?
Much better than yesterday's.
Reckon we'll be last on again.....
 

MotD

Not a bit of analysis of Wet Spam and Shearer said we deserved the win - ha, ha, ha, hope lots of fans were watching!! :ROFLMAO:
 

MotD

Loved Shearers comments last night. Was tipsy but to paraphrase I think he said something like “Brentford are bonkers, so gung ho, one in all in, look ten men up for every corner, nutters, they love it, what a team, so brave and crazy, they’re gonna shake this poxy division right up!”
 

MotD

Loved Shearers comments last night. Was tipsy but to paraphrase I think he said something like “Brentford are bonkers, so gung ho, one in all in, look ten men up for every corner, nutters, they love it, what a team, so brave and crazy, they’re gonna shake this poxy division right up!”
Almost word for word.
 

MotD

Loved Shearers comments last night. Was tipsy but to paraphrase I think he said something like “Brentford are bonkers, so gung ho, one in all in, look ten men up for every corner, nutters, they love it, what a team, so brave and crazy, they’re gonna shake this poxy division right up!”
:judge:Verbatim
 

MotD

Loved Shearers comments last night. Was tipsy but to paraphrase I think he said something like “Brentford are bonkers, so gung ho, one in all in, look ten men up for every corner, nutters, they love it, what a team, so brave and crazy, they’re gonna shake this poxy division right up!”
In a nutshell - did laugh about the fact that they literally didn't mention West Ham at all in the analysis :ROFLMAO::thumbs:
 

MotD

Loved Shearers comments last night. Was tipsy but to paraphrase I think he said something like “Brentford are bonkers, so gung ho, one in all in, look ten men up for every corner, nutters, they love it, what a team, so brave and crazy, they’re gonna shake this poxy division right up!”
Plus:
Why aye man, Fog on the Tyne, etc
 

MotD

Long may it last - he is a total cock and demonstrates how the BBC are now pretty much incapable of recruiting the right presenters
you’re generalising there - Shearer and Jermaine Jenas, for example, provide really intelligent analysis.

and the BBC have successfully resisted the idea of recruiting Sam Matterface, so they don’t always go for the wrong ‘uns.
 

MotD

I personally like Micah, but he's there for his enthusiasm rather than his insight. But that can work if balanced off more insightful pundits.

Either way, people doubting us and us proving them wrong was one of the things to look forward to this season. We knew how good we could be, but getting other people to stand up and take notice has been one of the joys. The Arsenal game people viewed as a great result, but just as a standalone one. Wolves onwards has been when people started genuinely seeing us as a team to be taken seriously. We're not under the radar now...and unfortunately neither is our set piece routines, based on the various analysis I've seen such as from Shearer on Sunday.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AB

MotD

you’re generalising there - Shearer and Jermaine Jenas, for example, provide really intelligent analysis.

and the BBC have successfully resisted the idea of recruiting Sam Matterface, so they don’t always go for the wrong ‘uns.
Have you seen Question of Sport ? I appreciate I am generalising but some of the presenters and summarisers all so bad. The 2 you mention are good but have you listen to some of the others Dion Dublin or Karen Carney . The BBC should open up some votes to see who the public like instead .
 

MotD

Have you seen Question of Sport ? I appreciate I am generalising but some of the presenters and summarisers all so bad. The 2 you mention are good but have you listen to some of the others Dion Dublin or Karen Carney . The BBC should open up some votes to see who the public like instead .
We'd get Nigel Farage explaining the new offside rule.
 
Last edited:

MotD

I personally like Micah, but he's there for his enthusiasm rather than his insight. But that can work if balanced off more insightful pundits.

Either way, people doubting us and us proving them wrong was one of the things to look forward to this season. We knew how good we could be, but getting other people to stand up and take notice has been one of the joys. The Arsenal game people viewed as a great result, but just as a standalone one. Wolves onwards has been when people started genuinely seeing us as a team to be taken seriously. We're not under the radar now...and unfortunately neither is our set piece routines, based on the various analysis I've seen such as from Shearer on Sunday.
He’s not intelligent. I want analysis, not a football court jester.
 

MotD

Just got round to watching the full Slovakian "PL Review" programme that i get through my subscription (yep, can't even get the local lingo - wtf am i paying for...)

For the second week in a row, we were the last game!!

But not in the same way as Motd - they seem to do it more like a sandwich, hiding the crappy games in the middle. So the last match is a bit of a prime slot of its own.

We're going global, lads ?
 

MotD

Just got round to watching the full Slovakian "PL Review" programme that i get through my subscription (yep, can't even get the local lingo - wtf am i paying for...)

For the second week in a row, we were the last game!!

But not in the same way as Motd - they seem to do it more like a sandwich, hiding the crappy games in the middle. So the last match is a bit of a prime slot of its own.

We're going global, lads ?
Are you sure this a good use of your time when we’re still waiting for a Red Card of the Weekend post. :redcard:
 

MotD

Are you sure this a good use of your time when we’re still waiting for a Red Card of the Weekend post. :redcard:
a load of bog-standard 6/10 dismissals in the last couple of weeks, plus i posted Alloa's first-minute dismissal on another thread... sorry!
 

MotD

He’s not intelligent. I want analysis, not a football court jester.
That's fair enough - speaking as a serious football fan, that is.

But I guess the likes of MR is included as a bit of "light relief" to pander to a wider audience, including kids, casual viewers and those who are only interested in Man U or Liverpool etc, and who may switch off if it all appears too serious.

But you're right, MR comes across as a bit of a buffoon.
 

MotD

Why do they have to have ex-players as pundits? There are plenty of others who offer a far more intelligent opinion. Some journalists for example. My favourite is Danny Kelly who has the right balance of smart observation and the exasperation of a true football fan.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom