Ref Watch 2016/17

Ref Watch 2016/17

Regarding the disallowed goal one wonders if it had been the other way round and Hogan went down would it have been a red card offence????

There was minimal contact and a 14stone 6foot plus defender went down like a girl !!!!!
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Absolutely nothing wrong with Hogan's 3rd. I don't know what anyone has seen to say there is a foul. Maybe my eyesight is going as I am also 100% certain Donaldson dived for the pen two weeks ago.

The ref was laughably bad. Up there with the very worst I've seen in my 39 years at GP.

We never seem to get homers. In fact, the very opposite.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

No doubt he lost it during the brawl at the end, and there were a few dodgy decisions before then, too.

But I have to say, he got the disallowed SH "goal" correct - Scotty gave their guy a subtle, but clear push as the ball came down, which meant he was able to speed away unchallenged.

Obviously the majority of the crowd were incensed with the ref by then, but if there was a TV camera at the right angle, it should show up.

So overall, you think he was pretty good? I thought he was absolute tripe.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Sorry Pipe & co, I'm with Ealing on the 3rd 'goal'. Just a tad too physical - SH needs to be more subtle, i.e. a nudge rather than a push. Deep down, when he turned having tucked it away, he knew why it was disallowed & there was no great protest.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Same ref who disallowed the Jota 'goal' at Fulham last year?
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Technically that was the lines man.
As was the "goal" yesterday.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I don't think there was enough to disallow the goal personally, even if it was a push it wasn't a hard one and not enough IMO.

Take that decision out and it's still one of the worst refereeing performances I can remember. Though it was almost worth it for the full stadium round of applause and celebration for us winning a 50/50.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

So overall, you think [the Ref] was pretty good?
How do you come to that conclusion?

I referred to him "losing it", and his "dodgy decisions" in the self-same post after all.

But I was merely making the point that even if the rest of his performance was poor (at the very least!), I am quite sure he got that particular decision right, since from the angle I was stood on the ER, I saw Hogan gave Mousinho a distinct push as the ball fell between them.

As for the replay on Channel 5, the TV angle didn't clearly show the contact either way. However the manner of Mousinho's fall suggests he was definitely unbalanced by something, as opposed to "doing a Snodgrass".

And thinking back, I noticed immediately after the push that the Ref raised his hand in a curious manner. Not having heard a whistle, I hoped that maybe he was signalling to "play on". However as Janorak correctly points out, Hogan's muted "celebration" suggests he also knew he'd been caught out.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Regarding the disallowed goal one wonders if it had been the other way round and Hogan went down would it have been a red card offence????
I suspect it would (or at least should) have been a Yellow for Mousinho, in that it would have been a "professional" foul, designed to stop a scoring opportunity.

However, I doubt it would have been a Red, since it was so far out and Hogan still had plenty to do.

There was minimal contact and a 14stone 6foot plus defender went down like a girl !!!!!
I wouldn't call it "minimal", but I'd agree it was minor i.e. not a hefty push.

But sometimes even that is enough to unbalance someone - see Rugby for instance, where even a mere tap on the ankle can bring down players even bigger than Mousinho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWG_hZorOHg
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Absolutely nothing wrong with Hogan's 3rd. I don't know what anyone has seen to say there is a foul.
Where were you sitting/standing? From where I was stood on the ER, behind McLaughlin's right hand post, I was directly square on to the incident, so distinctly saw a two handed push by SH. Not extravagant or forceful, but sufficient to unbalance Mousinho.

I don't think it will have been physically possible to see it from the New Road side, since Scott's body will have concealed the push, or from the Braemar, since Mousinho's body will have obstructed their view.

I suspect the Burton fans towards the New Road side may have had a decent view though.

The ref was laughably bad. Up there with the very worst I've seen in my 39 years at GP.

We never seem to get homers. In fact, the very opposite.
Might not go quite so far (and don't go so far back!), but I did think he was very poor overall, and certainly the worst I've seen at GP this season.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Where were you sitting/standing? From where I was stood on the ER, behind McLaughlin's right hand post, I was directly square on to the incident, so distinctly saw a two handed push by SH. Not extravagant or forceful, but sufficient to unbalance Mousinho.

I don't think it will have been physically possible to see it from the New Road side, since Scott's body will have concealed the push, or from the Braemar, since Mousinho's body will have obstructed their view.

I suspect the Burton fans towards the New Road side may have had a decent view though.

Might not go quite so far (and don't go so far back!), but I did think he was very poor overall, and certainly the worst I've seen at GP this season.

So you'd basically bee happy with 1 point rather than 3 from Saturday's match. You've been quite forceful about this alleged foul by SH! They say these 'incidents' even themselves out during the course of a season - I'm not always sure of that. Whenever we play a so called big club, the refs often favour those. You see it all the time in the PL, ManUre, Chelsea, The Arse, Man City etc often get the big decisions in their favour. Why not li'l ole' Brentford getting the rub of the green for a change??!!
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I'm still struggling to understand why people think that all the refs at our away games are homers, but we never get homers at GP. And why all refs favour the big clubs, except when we are playing the likes of Burton.

Some refs are poor most of the time, some have bad games, all get big decisions wrong from time to time. None of them start out biased for or against anyone.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I'm generally impartial when it comes to refereeing decisions, I won't just think it's wrong because it was against us. I can understand him giving the foul for Hogan's, but I don't think there was enough in it and it was a poor decision.

Anyway I'm amazed by how rarely we do seem to get 'homers'. We have had one this season though, I think it was Ipswich (or maybe Forest) where the ref was giving nearly every 50/50 our way. It is pretty rare though, I can remember having one last season at some point, and one this. Giving every decision to the 'smaller' away club seemed odd and against most biased ref cliches.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

How do you come to that conclusion?

I referred to him "losing it", and his "dodgy decisions" in the self-same post after all.

But I was merely making the point that even if the rest of his performance was poor (at the very least!), I am quite sure he got that particular decision right, since from the angle I was stood on the ER, I saw Hogan gave Mousinho a distinct push as the ball fell between them.

As for the replay on Channel 5, the TV angle didn't clearly show the contact either way. However the manner of Mousinho's fall suggests he was definitely unbalanced by something, as opposed to "doing a Snodgrass".

And thinking back, I noticed immediately after the push that the Ref raised his hand in a curious manner. Not having heard a whistle, I hoped that maybe he was signalling to "play on". However as Janorak correctly points out, Hogan's muted "celebration" suggests he also knew he'd been caught out.

Apologies. Not really having a go at you. I'm just amazed that the incompetent **** was able to make decision, particularly as until that point he'd not noticed on of the several 'subtle' pushes from O'Grady et al. He did admittedly wake up when one of theirs grabbed a handful of red and white shirt and spun the player round two or three times for good measure.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I definitely heard the whistle for the disallowed goal (from New Road) and you can hear it on the highlights. I reckon the keeper heard it, too, and maybe Scotty as well, which would explain the muted celebration.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Andy Woolmer tomorrow. Has blown hot and cold for us in the past
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Mousinho lost his balance about half way through the 3 point turn he was executing as the ball went past him.
Even the report from Burton's own local paper said it was a wrong decision.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

The ref tonight had a very good game. Really fair and no contentious decisions, although City fans may think differently!!
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Interestingly Mr. Coote has not been appointed to anything in the EFL this coming weekend - rested ? However he's doing the Ra Ra's game tonight but was already appointed to that before Saturday.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Leeds goal should have been disallowed for a blatant shove on Egan. Not seen our disallowed goal yet.....as Sky didn't even include it in the highlights.......so yet to find out whether it's one point or three we've been robbed of by the ref ;)
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

.............has the local circus lost one of its clowns..............
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

A complete and utter joke. Straight out of a cracker.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Absolute joke as was the Braemar Lino, if an assessor was there the ref will be in trouble missing one nailed on pen and arguably a second.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

The penalty for them was clear enough, Bjelland pulled the City players arm as he was about to jump for the ball.

However, the shot that looked like it hit a City players hand was one shout that probably should've been a penalty. Harlee Dean lost it and was frustrated that it wasn't given.

I hope he doesn't return to GP anytime soon. A shocking performance.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I didn't quite get the level of anger at the ref today to be honest. Their pen might have looked a bit soft but it was a foul. A lot of people shouting for a pen for a foul on Hogan that was never a penalty in a million years. I couldn't see the handball shout so maybe that was one he missed. But otherwise I thought he did ok. We gave away a lot of silly free kicks when we were chasing the game which got everybody moaning but that is hardly the ref's fault!
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Another one who seemed to be playing by a different set of rules for each team.

I don't expect favours but we should be given decisions that are clear cut and we are not getting any at the moment.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

We're 'little old Brentford' in a division with a lot of failed Premier League and big-name clubs. Too many referees have stars in their eyes.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

thought the Hogan pen was the right call as he was looking for it.the ricochets in the box might or might not have been I couldn't really see......I find fans usually turn on the ref when your team is playing poorly
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

We're 'little old Brentford' in a division with a lot of failed Premier League and big-name clubs. Too many referees have stars in their eyes.

I used to work with Simon Hooper and I can tell you he's nothing like that.

Can't comment on today's performance as I wasn't at the game but I know he gives it as he sees it.

That's all there is too it really.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I used to work with Simon Hooper and I can tell you he's nothing like that.

Can't comment on today's performance as I wasn't at the game but I know he gives it as he sees it.

That's all there is too it really.

Were you doing something that involved Braille?
He was truly sh*te!
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I used to work with Simon Hooper and I can tell you he's nothing like that.

Can't comment on today's performance as I wasn't at the game but I know he gives it as he sees it.

That's all there is too it really.

Then he needs to go over the 90 minutes again and see what he missed. Shocking performance.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Then he needs to go over the 90 minutes again and see what he missed. Shocking performance.

Shocking performance?? I'm not saying I agreed with every decision but I'm struggling to see how it was "shocking"? Having watched the highlights I think he should have given us a penalty for the handball (he had a very clear view of it) but otherwise he got most things right.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I used to work with Simon Hooper and I can tell you he's nothing like that.

Can't comment on today's performance as I wasn't at the game but I know he gives it as he sees it.

That's all there is too it really.

he saw bugger all!!
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I used to work with Simon Hooper and I can tell you he's nothing like that.

Can't comment on today's performance as I wasn't at the game but I know he gives it as he sees it.

That's all there is too it really.

He was a bloody disgrace. Inept. Totally fing INEPET. Strutting around like an absolute arse. Good job we all know that there is no corruption in football. If there was, you might just think ..................
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Shocking performance?? I'm not saying I agreed with every decision but I'm struggling to see how it was "shocking"? Having watched the highlights I think he should have given us a penalty for the handball (he had a very clear view of it) but otherwise he got most things right.

Big decisions change games. It was a very clear penalty, especially from his position. It was a shocking performance.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Big decisions change games. It was a very clear penalty, especially from his position. It was a shocking performance.

Shocking, disgraceful, appalling........................................... I'm being kind. It all seemed to be about him. Strutting around, billy big bollox. He loved his performance. I thought he was a ****.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Can anyone tell me what their penalty was given for. It was a complete mystery to all of us sitting about halfway in New Road. Was it the correct call?
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Shocking performance?? I'm not saying I agreed with every decision but I'm struggling to see how it was "shocking"? Having watched the highlights I think he should have given us a penalty for the handball (he had a very clear view of it) but otherwise he got most things right.

Really? I think the 10,000 people shouting at him after yet another bad call was a bit of a clue of how poor he was.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Can anyone tell me what their penalty was given for. It was a complete mystery to all of us sitting about halfway in New Road. Was it the correct call?

It's been mentioned many times now, Bjelland pulled the arm of City's no.4 as he was about to jump for the ball with Harlee. Clear penalty using today's laws of the game. Just a shame the ref wasn't consistent.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Shocking performance?? I'm not saying I agreed with every decision but I'm struggling to see how it was "shocking"? Having watched the highlights I think he should have given us a penalty for the handball (he had a very clear view of it) but otherwise he got most things right.

Sorry, he was dreadful, the big number 5 committed 3 blatant fouls in first 10 and no card that set the scene.
If he gave their pen for a tug that felled the man mountain Morrison how did he not give one for either the slam dunk on Hogan or the handball no idea.
He lost the plot second half and gave one of the very worst displays only comparable with the cretin we had last home game. Both were beyond inept in my opinion.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Can anyone tell me what their penalty was given for. It was a complete mystery to all of us sitting about halfway in New Road. Was it the correct call?

Bjelland tugged him that happens in the box every corner or dead ball, strictly speaking a pen but it's the f****g inconsistency that does my swede in.
The same player lifted Hogan off the floor and nothing second half !!!!!!!!!
 
Last edited:

Ref Watch 2016/17

It's been mentioned many times now, Bjelland pulled the arm of City's no.4 as he was about to jump for the ball with Harlee. Clear penalty using today's laws of the game. Just a shame the ref wasn't consistent.

Thanks couldn't tell that from my seat or from the highlights.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

It's just about consistency. We are not getting a fair shake.

We have now given away 5 pens and got none. Never mind today. What about Sawyers at Derby? Plus the disallowed goals too.

Totally ridiculous.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

I used to work with Simon Hooper and I can tell you he's nothing like that.

Can't comment on today's performance as I wasn't at the game but I know he gives it as he sees it.

That's all there is too it really.

He can't see very well then.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Hogan's was a penalty, the ref didn't give it as the ball had been played too high anyway so he wouldn't have got it. He was shoved forward by the defender though and it was a definite foul. The pass being overhit shouldn't have a bearing on wether the foul is given or not... The handball one I need to see again, as I didn't get a clear view but the ball did hit him quickly.

He wanted to be a strong ref, and often was in terms of not letting things slide, but a lot of inconsistencies led to his performance being more frustrating than anything else. The Burton ref was worse though...
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

ref was dreadful today.....bottled it 2nd half and just seemed to be ignoring everything....woods was hacked down twice and neither time did he give the foul........worst seen in a long time
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

he made an awful decision for the penalty. I was pissed off with that as it was a nothing challenge and a very bad call.

Otherwise he got most things right. Makes me cringe when fans say they always hey shot refs. So many fans of clubs are Unconciously biased
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

he made an awful decision for the penalty. I was pissed off with that as it was a nothing challenge and a very bad call.

Otherwise he got most things right. Makes me cringe when fans say they always hey shot refs. So many fans of clubs are Unconciously biased

Too good for him I would say.
 

Ref Watch 2016/17

Can't comment on today's performance as I wasn't at the game but I know he gives it as he sees it.
You would like to think they all do.
 
Back
Top Bottom