Referee at Orient

Referee at Orient

ref not as bad as I thought after watching the whole game on sky+ in the 1st half..



......................................you watched the whole game on sky+ in the first half??? - how did you manage that, please?..........................
 

Referee at Orient

................................changing the subject ever so slightly, that linesman was probably the worst we have had since the (I think League Cup tie at) Norwich a few years ago - IIRC, we managed to lose only 4-2, despite three of their goals being distinctly offside - I believe that lino (from Lowestoft) officiated his last game that night (not intentionally from the outset)...........................
 

Referee at Orient

Absolutely incensed at both the second half lino and the ref. first half he was inconsitant with his bookings, he should have booked the LB for kicking the ball away as one of our players was about to pick it up for a quick throw in, Mooney fooled him on 2 -3 occasions (as he did with the penalty decision at GP), although a bit peeved he did get Tarky's second booking correct, but then appeared to be completely biased in Orient's favour in the second hald with the decisions that went their way, he seemed hell bent on evening the score up. Tottaly got the clear penalty wrong when Saville was clearly pulled back in the box, that probably would have got Clarke dismissed too. We do seem to attract poor officials recently with some pretty inept displays at GP this season.

However great performance by the lads, well done, onwards and upwards
 

Referee at Orient

......................................you watched the whole game on sky+ in the first half??? - how did you manage that, please?..........................

lol
 

Referee at Orient

I would love to know what the assessor thought of him - probably marked him down for not sending off Clayton and allowing McCormack to intimidate him!

It was weird, as it just seemed that we were not getting a fair shake from the officials and that Orient were allowed to get away with things that we were penalised for.

I remember a JPT or whatever it was called then, game v Oxford a few years ago (about 2006ish) that we lost on pens where we had 6 players booked v 1 for them
 

Referee at Orient

The frequent choruses Halleluelah said it all. 2,600 very pi%%ed off people.
 

Referee at Orient

Piss poor refereeing once again. Some crazy decisions, such as the barge on Clayton when he was about to have a foot race with their left back. Savs penalty shout. Edge of their box when Clayton's heavy touch meant a 50/50, looked like Clayton poked the ball through but nope, free kick Orient. The way it was going I was totally expecting a penalty for Orient somewhere on the way. Reminded me of Chelsea v Barcelona a few years back
 

Referee at Orient

I would love to know what the assessor thought of him - probably marked him down for not sending off Clayton and allowing McCormack to intimidate him!

It was weird, as it just seemed that we were not getting a fair shake from the officials and that Orient were allowed to get away with things that we were penalised for.

I remember a JPT or whatever it was called then, game v Oxford a few years ago (about 2006ish) that we lost on pens where we had 6 players booked v 1 for them

We were not far off from the assessors, all I can say there was a lot of tutting and shaking of the heads. The feedback from the Orient fans sitting next to them was that they were not impressed with the referee's handling of the game. Even the home fans were embarrassed by how much leeway he gave them.
 

Referee at Orient

For me no where as bad as Mr Bigger. I think that was his name. He was pure class.
 

Referee at Orient

We were not far off from the assessors, all I can say there was a lot of tutting and shaking of the heads. The feedback from the Orient fans sitting next to them was that they were not impressed with the referee's handling of the game. Even the home fans were embarrassed by how much leeway he gave them.

I don't get why some people are sticking up for him, Tark's first booking was a booking, 2 minutes later the Orient RB kicks the ball away to stop us taking a free kick early, nothing, total madness and set the scene for the rest of the game. The non-penalty and the two challenges on Clayton, the goal kick when the keeper saved CD's header were laughable, there were many more too.
 

Referee at Orient

We were not far off from the assessors, all I can say there was a lot of tutting and shaking of the heads. The feedback from the Orient fans sitting next to them was that they were not impressed with the referee's handling of the game. Even the home fans were embarrassed by how much leeway he gave them.

Yes but they might well have thought him too lenient rather than not even handed
 

Referee at Orient

Clyton's 50/50 challenge on the edge of the box was the one for me that made it clear we were going to get nothing from the ref.
 

Referee at Orient

Load of horse sh*t talked about that ref. I can't think of a single major thing he got wrong. Seriously.
 

Referee at Orient

Load of horse sh*t talked about that ref. I can't think of a single major thing he got wrong. Seriously.

Penalty?
Clayton's header tipped over the keeper.
The tug on Clayton 2nd half, the block on him first half where he may have had to either book CD for diving or Sawyer for blocking, 2nd yellow for either.
Their RB kicking the ball away a minute after Tark's deserved first yellow.

That's without thinking.
 

Referee at Orient

Penalty?
Clayton's header tipped over the keeper.
The tug on Clayton 2nd half, the block on him first half where he may have had to either book CD for diving or Sawyer for blocking, 2nd yellow for either.
Their RB kicking the ball away a minute after Tark's deserved first yellow.

That's without thinking.

Did the keeper save it? Or did it hit Douglas? ;)
 

Referee at Orient

Yes but they might well have thought him too lenient rather than not even handed

The impression I got was they were more upset by the inconsistencies in his decision making but that he wasn't helped much by his poor assistants. Anyway, who cares, the 3 points were ours in the end.
 

Referee at Orient

Penalty?
Clayton's header tipped over the keeper.
The tug on Clayton 2nd half, the block on him first half where he may have had to either book CD for diving or Sawyer for blocking, 2nd yellow for either.
Their RB kicking the ball away a minute after Tark's deserved first yellow.

That's without thinking.

I was fuming about Clayton's header but having looked at it again Douglas connects with it and puts it over. Nevertheless, he was still a complete homer and allowed Orient to get away with everything, particularly Cox & Mooney's persistent 'simulations'.
 

Referee at Orient

Watched it on Sky. Got the impression that the commentators were puzzled by the imbalanced number of fouls. Most obvious thing was that after the tug on Saville, it was only about 30 seconds before we were penalised for a tug.

However, I'd be interested to see how many of the decisions were ones where the assistant referees should have given him a hand. Many of them, I thought.

I thought he was bad, but I've seen many worse. I reckon two things affected the way we see him: 1) the importance of the game; 2) the simple fact that this year we've had a number of quite good refs. Other years when we've really been hit by a solid stream of incompetents, he wouldn't have stood out as much.
 

Referee at Orient

Did the keeper save it? Or did it hit Douglas? ;)
I did think that came off a Brentford player; on the other hand, there was a lot of inconsistency. I fully expected their player to get booked for kicking the ball away just after JT's first booking, for example.
 

Referee at Orient

Apart from Port Vale and Oldham, when has JD ever got near anything in the 6 yard box?;)

Next!

On Saturday you fool! Put your glasses on next time! :eek:

Were you watching the game or still terrorising the poor young lads that were walking down the High Road?! Never seen young lads hunch their shoulders and freeze as quickly as they did!! rofl
 

Referee at Orient

On Saturday you fool! Put your glasses on next time! :eek:

Were you watching the game or still terrorising the poor young lads that were walking down the High Road?! Never seen young lads hunch their shoulders and freeze as quickly as they did!! rofl

Let's get this straight, the youngsters were giving it large and we had a bit of fun, they enjoyed it and so did we, they were walking around Orient as a group on the mickey take, I only asked them if they were Brentwood fans or whatever rubbish we were playing and up went the shoulders to which I laughed at and told them so were we! They were cutting their teeth as a little mob of away fans on their first venture to another ground, good luck to them and I'm sure they've got a lot of good days to come. It was a funny moment and all done in good spirits but it reads sh*t!
 

Referee at Orient

Was going apoplectic watching on TV as, whilst not disagreeing with many of his decisions in the first half it seemed to be he was only penalising us. Come the second half he managed to deteriorate from rubbish to inept!!

If he had been consistent in his decisions then I doubt we would be moaning so much, however it was the total inconsistency which was difficult to understand
 

Referee at Orient

He was awful - but one thing that was new is that it never felt like it was going to matter (except for a second when I thought he was going to give a pen against McCormack). In years gone by I would have been convinced he was gonna cost us.

New Brentford innit.
 

Referee at Orient

He was awful - but one thing that was new is that it never felt like it was going to matter (except for a second when I thought he was going to give a pen against McCormack). In years gone by I would have been convinced he was gonna cost us.
New Brentford innit.

Normally you associate a bad official with game-changing decisions but, as you say, he didn't make any errors that really cost us. The linesman should have flagged for the penalty but it was mostly a case of giving Orient the benefit of any doubt. He could have sent Clayton off as well I suppose. I thought the standard of officials this season has been slightly better than in previous years. Not that I didn't join in with the abuse of course.
 

Referee at Orient

Please tell me your on a wind up or forgot the fishy thing.


No I'm serious. Seems to me there's a massive amount of groupthink going on. On the *big* calls I can't think of anything massive. He was unsighted for the penalty on Saville and that was hardly cut & dried anyway.
 

Referee at Orient

Penalty?
Clayton's header tipped over the keeper.
The tug on Clayton 2nd half, the block on him first half where he may have had to either book CD for diving or Sawyer for blocking, 2nd yellow for either.
Their RB kicking the ball away a minute after Tark's deserved first yellow.

That's without thinking.

I said major thing.

The penalty could have been given, I've seen them given, seen them not. He was unsighted.

I'm sure he made minor mistakes. All refs do in any game, and I bet Orient fans will point to an equal number of minor things that he got wrong.

Frankly Clayton could have walked for putting his hands in that bloke's face in the melee.
 

Referee at Orient

I said major thing.

The penalty could have been given, I've seen them given, seen them not. He was unsighted.

I'm sure he made minor mistakes. All refs do in any game, and I bet Orient fans will point to an equal number of minor things that he got wrong.

Frankly Clayton could have walked for putting his hands in that bloke's face in the melee.

Sawyer's block on CD was massive, he even went to whistle, useless performance and strangely Os fans seem to think he was a homer too.
 

Referee at Orient

No I'm serious. Seems to me there's a massive amount of groupthink going on. On the *big* calls I can't think of anything massive. He was unsighted for the penalty on Saville and that was hardly cut & dried anyway.

It wasn't the big decisions that was the issue. It was penalising us by either giving free kicks or bookings that he wasn't ever going to give for Leyton Orient. He was fussy whenever we made physical contact and it was frustrating. It felt like he was doing it deliberately. Orient were kicking the ball away, leaving late challenges and doing the same things as us and it was just going unnoticed. He may have got some of our fouls as correct. However, the lack of consistency for both sides was alarming.
 

Referee at Orient

There was an occasion in the second half where Saville harried the player on the touchline and forced him to kick it out; the referee gave Orient a free kick.

There were loads of occasions where contradicted his stance in favour of Orient. Clayton being blantantly pulled back, no free kick. Seconds later Lisbie tripping over his feet (little to no contact from Dean to warrant a free kick), free kick given.
 

Referee at Orient

we've all seen refs having bad games over the years......but as nocoat alluded to when starting this thread..........i've never seen anything like that on saturday........both his decision making and his indecision very very poor.......several times he put his whistle to his lips but did not blow.......and it wasnt always to allow advantage.........what didnt help was probably the worst display from a linesman i have ever seen in 45 yrs of watching football...........in the first half lisbie was running the line against our back four,i was sitting in line with our 18 yard rd box,and he was a good 3-4 yrds offside on a number of occassions and no flag went up.......i honestly have never seen anything like it.............anyone who says otherwise is either at the wind up or just looking for an arguement.
 

Referee at Orient

we've all seen refs having bad games over the years......but as nocoat alluded to when starting this thread..........i've never seen anything like that on saturday........both his decision making and his indecision very very poor.......several times he put his whistle to his lips but did not blow.......and it wasnt always to allow advantage.........what didnt help was probably the worst display from a linesman i have ever seen in 45 yrs of watching football...........in the first half lisbie was running the line against our back four,i was sitting in line with our 18 yard rd box,and he was a good 3-4 yrds offside on a number of occassions and no flag went up.......i honestly have never seen anything like it.............anyone who says otherwise is either at the wind up or just looking for an arguement.

Absolutely agree with this, I was sitting not far off the penalty line as well and the lino who was in front of us in the 1st was having a really bad day to put in mildly. A number of times Lisbie was off and it wasn't flagged. I tend to sit on the fence towards refereeing decisions but things were certainly not given which should have been.
 

Referee at Orient

Like JCMcBee above mentioned, he put his whistle to his lips on more than one occasion to give us a decision and changed his mind - Mac may be bigger but Cox started all the trouble by miscontrolling the ball and kicking out at Mac when he stopped him going past - Ref should have dealt with it properly and fairly and wouldn't have had half the grief he got thereafter from our enraged players.
Omosuzu kicked the ball away without caution even though he blew up when he did? Then realising he'd already carded the unit who wrestled Judge off the ball on touchline second half, he suddenly removed his hand from his pocket and was all smiles and waving his arms as if to calm it. Why didn't he apply the same logic as he did for Tarkowski?
Failing to give a free kick for Clayton and punishing Harlee in same phase less than 15 seconds later and allowing the melee to take place in the first place and not booking the instigator Vincelot who after the stamp was allowed to run around winding everybody up for 30 seconds afterwards.

I'm not biased but believe he was weak and too easily influenced and looking to be the star turn on the day.
 

Referee at Orient

For me, good or bad, the ref is part of the ebb and flow of the game. They are in effect the rule book while the game is in progress, so whatever decisions they make, in the context of the game they are correct decisions. I think this "chance" element is one of the aspects of Football that gives it its superiority and am really against the intrusion of technology like we get in the six nations for example. Think how hilarious it would have been if France's last try had been allowed on saturday evening. That said, as a Bees supporter, I though the ref on saturday was effing awful. But without him you wouldn't be having nearly as much fun on this thread.
 

Referee at Orient

Personally speaking I think the refs performance helped us win the game.
 

Referee at Orient

<unscientific hunch>
People who were at the ground are a lot harsher on the ref than those who watched it live on telly
</unscientific hunch>
 

Referee at Orient

<unscientific hunch>
People who were at the ground are a lot harsher on the ref than those who watched it live on telly
</unscientific hunch>

He was poor Dave
Inconsistency was his worst trait on Saturday. Unacceptable - but it's only 1 game.
Sadly, he's made a name for himself, so unlikely to get a fair response if he returns to GP
 

Referee at Orient

<unscientific hunch>
People who were at the ground are a lot harsher on the ref than those who watched it live on telly
</unscientific hunch>

I watched it on TV with my Dad, and we were both in agreement that the ref was bloody appalling. Not necessarily biased, just incompetent. That said, I was sure he was going to give them a penalty at the end when he got a chance.

What it came down to was lots of niggly fouls - Orient were falling over at the slightest contact and getting the decision, but Brentford didn't get the same in their favour, even for more obvious fouls.
 
Back
Top Bottom